GUILTY TX - Christina Morris, 23, Plano, 30 August 2014 - #40 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will HF have to testify from jail or will they bring him to court? And will he be in his prison jumpsuit?

I also wander about the last names with numbers by it. My first tthought were they are inmates but after looking at EA's inmate number, it doesn't appear tthat is right. Any thoughts on who those people are? JMO

ETA and I wander why they subpeonad a spa?
I assumed that those with numbers next to their name are police officers and their badge/personnel numbe is listed but I could be wrong.

There is a Cartopia Auto Spa in Sachse, perhaps EA was cleaning his car there as well as home and Kroger and Sprint.

I assumed that those with numbers next to their name are police officers and their badge/personnel numbe is listed but I could be wrong.

There is a Cartopia Auto Spa in Sachse, perhaps EA was cleaning his car there as well as home and Kroger and Sprint.

I thought that also but there are some names with "officer" or "detecive" by them. MOO

ETA: Ok, on the spa. Maybe a typo Cartopia Auto Spa but subpoena says Cartopia AND Spa. I didn't even think of the Car in Cartopia. Just thought it was either a fancy spa or a bath house type spa.

Possibly employees there saw EA's car with no damage at some point shortly before Christina went missing?

The state just applied for subpoena today, does that mean that all of the prior names are defense witnesses?
http://cijspub.co.collin.tx.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1387104

If so, 188 people may be called to testify that they have no evidence that EA kidnapped CM. idk, but I'm interested to know what will happen at trial.

LOL - not meant disrespectfully, but I had to laugh at your question, because I can promise you the state subpoena list is longer than the 1 single subpoena requested today.

I would suggest that the longer list was combined result of both parties (combined for the reason that there will be a ton that both sides want, and no reason to subpoena them twice), with the court at the pre-trial having asked them to have a list prepared so they can get them served. Now the state has decided they have another name to add, and did. There are likely to be a few more from either side between now and trial, with testing ongoing, leads still being pursued, and so on.

EYA - in this instance, it appears to me that the single subpoena was for a name that was simply overlooked before, for a police officer in the investigation.

On a matter relating to the sexual assault of a child charges against EA, it's informative that the defense wants to know of state intent to use 38.37 rules in that case, which pertains to uncharged acts against the victim. It certainly hints of some pattern of predatory behavior. The pertinent wording in the statute says:

b) Notwithstanding Rules 404 and 405, Texas Rules of Evidence, evidence of other crimes, wrongs, or acts committed by the defendant against the child who is the victim of the alleged offense shall be admitted for its bearing on relevant matters, including:

(1) the state of mind of the defendant and the child; and
(2) the previous and subsequent relationship between the defendant and the child.

LOL - not meant disrespectfully, but I had to laugh at your question, because I can promise you the state subpoena list is longer than the 1 single subpoena requested today.

I would suggest that the longer list was combined result of both parties (combined for the reason that there will be a ton that both sides want, and no reason to subpoena them twice), with the court at the pre-trial having asked them to have a list prepared so they can get them served. Now the state has decided they have another name to add, and did. There are likely to be a few more from either side between now and trial, with testing ongoing, leads still being pursued, and so on.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not certain if that list included both the defense and state subpoenas. You don't either. Actually, the list was posted a few days after the application previously so neither of us know for sure. It's obvious that people wouldn't be served twice, IMO.

I think step number one for the defense attorney in a kidnapping case would be to establish that the witnesses being presented actually don't have any knowledge of a kidnapping.

It took 2-6 days from the time the Defense application was submitted and amended for the list of names. The State only submitted their list today. I feel 99.99997% certain that the State's list isn't on here yet - no one from the Arochi family has been listed as being subject to subpoena. If at least one member of the family isn't put on the stand, there is something seriously wrong.

It took 2-6 days from the time the Defense application was submitted and amended for the list of names. The State only submitted their list today. I feel 99.99997% certain that the State's list isn't on here yet - no one from the Arochi family has been listed as being subject to subpoena. If at least one member of the family isn't put on the stand, there is something seriously wrong.

Perhaps so. I'm sure we'll see soon.

Forgive me for being ill informed, but how in the world could the defense application for subpoena - amended, be a coordinated effort between the defense and the prosecution?
Sure, the prosecution would want to question some of those witnesses, but if the defense called them then the prosecution can only question them on cross, not on direct.
If a particular witness subpoenaed by the defense is then declared a hostile witness - as being contrary to the legal position of they who called the witness- then the attorney can ask leading questions as if in cross examination by the party not calling the witness.

The 2 sides do not share witnesses. A witness is either for the defense or for the prosecution.

The only time they are "shared" is on cross examination.

ETA: IMO the prosecution has simply not filed their full list application yet.

M O O

Legally a person could not possibly be subpoenaed by both sides.

" a witness may be called (requested to testify) by either the prosecution or the defense. The side that calls the witness first asks questions, in what is called direct examination. The opposing side then may ask their own questions in what is called cross-examination. In some cases, redirect examination may then be used by the side that called the witness, but usually only to contradict specific testimony from the cross-examination."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witness

Having served on several jury trials I suppose I thought this was general information.

A subpoena is just a notice of a requirement to essentially be available to testify in a case. It neither promises that the person will actually testify, nor does it necessarily indicate who will call him or her to do so, if indeed called to the stand.

I should add that beyond those basics, there are some variations in types of subpoenas, and where when how they are issued and used. But the basic concepts are all that's important here.

A subpoena is just a notice of a requirement to essentially be available to testify in a case. It neither promises that the person will actually testify, nor does it necessarily indicate who will call him or her to do so, if indeed called to the stand.

I should add that beyond those basics, there are some variations in types of subpoenas, and where when how they are issued and used. But the basic concepts are all that's important here.

"A subpoena commands a person to appear. It is used to compel the testimony of a witness in a trial. Usually, it can be issued by a judge or by the lawyer representing the plaintiff or the defendant in a civil trial or by the prosecutor or the defense attorney in a criminal proceeding. In many jurisdictions, it is compulsory to comply, to take an oath, and to tell the truth, under penalty of perjury."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witness

A subpoena commands a person to appear. It is NOT a notice that hey if you mind and if you're available could you please show up.

SMH

A subpoena commands a person to appear. It is NOT a notice that hey if you mind and if you're available could you please show up.

Correct. If you thought I said otherwise, you misread my meaning. My point was that the subpoena means they are required to be available if called to testify, but it is no indication of whether they will indeed be called to actually testify.

I still give a big eyeroll at "sexual assualt of a chiild." Not making light of the situatio but good lord.

I still give a big eyeroll at "sexual assualt of a chiild." Not making light of the situatio but good lord.
I suppose that he'll be found guilty, but the state can't be proud of that. I saw recently where a teen was arrested for child *advertiser censored* because he had a sexual picture of himself on his phone...geez, crazy world.

And with all the news about Susan Hawk, you realize that many in county DA's offices are more flawed than most.

Can we mention some of the lesser known names on the subpoena list and discuss what they may be testifying about?

Was the aggravated kidnapping trial date moved? The page with subpoena list still says November.

Also, does anyone know if all those people will actually be served, or does the list just mean the lawyers have the option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member