UK UK - Rory Johnson-Hatfield, 29, York, 20 Nov 2015

skibaboo

Mrs Map
Reaction score
BREAKING Two boats scour York's River Ouse as concerns grow for missing Rory, 29, from Skipton

YORK Rescue Boat has joined a police underwater search team on the River Ouse in looking for a man who has been missing in York since Friday.

Two boats have been scouring the river and its banks this morning, with an underwater sonar camera also deployed, said Dave Benson of the rescue boat.

He said police divers had also arrived in York and would be deployed if needed.

The search came as Douglas Hatfield appealed through The Press for the York public's help in tracing his 29-year-old son Rory Johnson-Hatfield, of Skipton, who went missing early on Friday while on a night out with a friend in the city.

"Rory loved York - that is why he went there for a night out," he said.

"The police have been fabulous, but I would just ask anyone who has any information to get in touch with them as they try to find Rory."

North Yorkshire Police said Rory was last seen by his friend at 12.15am on Friday when he left the York Central Travelodge in Piccadilly, where they were staying the night.

“Rory never returned to the hotel and he failed to turn up for work in Skipton on Friday evening,” said a spokesman.

He urged anyone who recalled seeing Rory or someone matching his description in York on Thursday evening or Friday to phone police on 101 without delay, quoting reference number 1215020714.

The river Ouse has been affected by some flooding the past few days, I think it's receded somewhat now but on Saturday morning when I went over it, it was still quite high

Worrying :(

BREAKING Two boats scour York's River Ouse as concerns grow for missing Rory, 29, from Skipton

YORK Rescue Boat has joined a police underwater search team on the River Ouse in looking for a man who has been missing in York since Friday.

Two boats have been scouring the river and its banks this morning, with an underwater sonar camera also deployed, said Dave Benson of the rescue boat.

He said police divers had also arrived in York and would be deployed if needed.

The search came as Douglas Hatfield appealed through The Press for the York public's help in tracing his 29-year-old son Rory Johnson-Hatfield, of Skipton, who went missing early on Friday while on a night out with a friend in the city.

"Rory loved York - that is why he went there for a night out," he said.

"The police have been fabulous, but I would just ask anyone who has any information to get in touch with them as they try to find Rory."

North Yorkshire Police said Rory was last seen by his friend at 12.15am on Friday when he left the York Central Travelodge in Piccadilly, where they were staying the night.

“Rory never returned to the hotel and he failed to turn up for work in Skipton on Friday evening,” said a spokesman.

He urged anyone who recalled seeing Rory or someone matching his description in York on Thursday evening or Friday to phone police on 101 without delay, quoting reference number 1215020714.

The river Ouse has been affected by some flooding the past few days, I think it's receded somewhat now but on Saturday morning when I went over it, it was still quite high

Worrying :(

Yes, very. Guest at a hotel. When did they check in?

Yes, very. Guest at a hotel. When did they check in?

I'm not sure FHG but it sounds like they we're just staying Thursday night, so I assume Thursday. Skipton is not too far from York. I think it sounds like they were in York for a night out, and booked into the Travelodge so nobody had to drive home after having a few drinks.

What has made them start a search of the River Ouse? do they have information has to where he was last seen?

1418901.png

I've marked where the boat was searching, and the Travelodge on the map HERE

Yeah with Megan's case they only started the river search after they view the CCTV

That travelodge looks like it got both river on either side of it it's November winter has started with cold nights what attracts people to go near rivers at that time of night?

That travelodge looks like it got both river on either side of it it's November winter has started with cold nights what attracts people to go near rivers at that time of night?

Sadly imho, alcohol.

He must have known where he was going to leave the Travelodge at 00:30 am and leave his friend at the travelodge

Is that the bridge with really low sides, Skibs? If I'm remembering correctly there's nothing much (a park?) on the other side of it, why would he be crossing that bridge, in your humble, local opinion! Can you get to the train station that way? Surely somewhere around the area of the Travelodge there is CCTV. Hmmm...

Do you guys remember an identical case, in UK as well - down to the hotel by the water, alcohol, and one of the friends ending up in the river?

Is that the bridge with really low sides, Skibs? If I'm remembering correctly there's nothing much (a park?) on the other side of it, why would he be crossing that bridge, in your humble, local opinion! Can you get to the train station that way? Surely somewhere around the area of the Travelodge there is CCTV. Hmmm...

Which bridge? There are railings besides the bridge closest to the Travelodge. You can walk to the train station that way yes. It's over both bridges and up Nunnery lane. Approx a 10-15 min walk. What concerns me is the flooding, on Thursday night/Friday morning it was up over the walkways, car park and park there next to the river.

Right across from the Travelodge is York County Court, they will have CCTV. I'll be going around there again tomorrow, I'll keep an eye out for cameras. it's just down road from me. I'm starting to feel a bit of a jinx on here! Lol

Skibs, are you The York Pusher....? ;)

I mean the bridge over the Ouse, I know I always felt on one of them the railings were way too low, could be thinking of another, easy to get bridges and rivers mixed up in York !

And Lulu, there are plenty of cases like this in the country, feels like mist of them happen in York but my perception is probably skewed as I hear/read about it on the local news.

Lol no guvnor!

Skeldergate bridge.. Hmm I'd say the sides are roughly just above waist height, I'm not sure. I think it could be Lendal Bridge is the one you're thinking of cags (the one Megan was last seen next to). My mum can't swim and she always refused to walk across it, it made her feel uneasy as the sides are quite low.

Is say when people are trying to contact Rory they are taken to his phone messages can mobile still function underwater??

And Lulu, there are plenty of cases like this in the country, feels like mist of them happen in York but my perception is probably skewed as I hear/read about it on the local news.

There have been a few in Newcastle, Durham, Manchester that I can think of but I also feel like it's more frequent in York.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back