NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
People always act like there's no way she would have been forced into a car, but given her circumstances I think she would have willingly accepted a ride from anyone who offered.

I agree, I feel that if we take Butch Atwood at his word then it is clear she did not want police responding. In fact she didn't seem to want anyone responding at the time hence Maura telling Atwood that she had called roadside recovery. It's clear to see why as well, Maura would almost certainly have received a DUI; red wine was spilt all over the interior of the car after all. In these circumstances wouldn't Murray be likely trying to stop any car to get a hitch out of the immediate area. And that I suppose is why the suspicious red truck sighting is so intriguing.

It's pretty telling that in the last episode (number 17), the hosts confess that seeing the list of items found in Maura's car was the first time they were able to see her humanity - as though the hard-driving, judgmental home life and the subsequent coping through drinking and an out-of-control eating disorder that led her to crash cars and commit petty crimes that someone might notice weren't signs of a tender, desperate humanity crying out for support and love without condition.

Too many people see this case through the lens of story and character rather than basic human empathy. Guess these two are no exception.

I think some men get obsessed with this case in particular because Maura was pretty and blonde. They want to rescue her but also see her as an object. Human nature, I suppose.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some men get obsessed with this case in particular because Maura was pretty and blonde. They want to rescue her but also see her as an object. Human nature, I suppose.

MOO

Blonde?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She's fair-complected with light brown hair. In some photos, it looks like she has blonde highlights.

James Renner, on his blog, often says that people have reported sightings of Maura in Canada. What do you guys think?

Quite honestly, I take what he says cautiously. I have been following his blog for years, and I feel there have been too many moments where he was "leading us on," so to speak.

As someone mentioned back in thread ten or eleven, he is selling a product. I often think he romanticises or adds dramatics to lure more people in. The good thing about that is, any attention is good attention. I won't pretend he doesn't deserve the credit for helping keep the heart beating on this case.

MOO

She's a brunette, dark brunette.

Quite honestly, I take what he says cautiously. I have been following his blog for years, and I feel there have been too many moments where he was "leading us on," so to speak.

As someone mentioned back in thread ten or eleven, he is selling a product. I often think he romanticises or adds dramatics to lure more people in. The good thing about that is, any attention is good attention. I won't pretend he doesn't deserve the credit for helping keep the heart beating on this case.

Respectfully, I disagree. While it's great that there's still so much passion and so many eyes on this disappearance nearly 12 years later, there are too many cases that never get solved due to some overzealous personality prone to sensationalism and investigative myopia latching onto a suspect or theory to the extent that it becomes impossible for anyone taking a fresh look at the evidence to consider it objectively. Incidentally, there are more than a few such cases right in the backyard of where Maura Murray vanished.

p.s.
great username!

Respectfully, I disagree. While it's great that there's still so much passion and so many eyes on this disappearance nearly 12 years later, there are too many cases that never get solved due to some overzealous personality prone to sensationalism and investigative myopia latching onto a suspect or theory to the extent that it becomes impossible for anyone taking a fresh look at the evidence to consider it objectively. Incidentally, there are more than a few such cases right in the backyard of where Maura Murray vanished.

I will admit that I've gone back and forth on that exact sentiment, but then I wonder what the case would be like right now if he hasn't gotten involved. I just can't not cut him the credit I think he deserves in some aspect.

p.s.
great username!

Also, thank you. I love SP.

Let me also add he has made me so mad at certain points with what I feel like is a wild goose chase that I've taken periods of timeouts from reading his blog. It can be so frustrating to feel you are going somewhere with a discussion and then someone pops in and is like "What if a tiger ate her?"

His last stunt with saying he was going to reveal information, and then not, was no surprise to me. He then basically said he was not going to post anymore, and then did. That's just kind of been his pattern.

I will admit that I've gone back and forth on that exact sentiment, but then I wonder what the case would be like right now if he hasn't gotten involved. I just can't not cut him the credit I think he deserves in some aspect.

It'd still be alive, though probably not nearly as high-profile. As evidenced by Lizzi Marriott's murder, NH state police have a special interest when people from out of state go missing/get killed. With Maura's disappearance coming during the height of ski season and so close to Loon Mtn, I'm sure they'd have kept working her case.

However, I will say this: all of the "dirt" uncovered by Renner's investigation has done nothing to stoke my inner conspiracy theorist so much as confirm the intuitive empathy I felt for Maura immediately upon first hearing about this case. So I'd thank him for that, I suppose.

I do wonder whether, for all his bombast and grandstanding, Renner's investigation may have inadvertently uncovered something. In the early days of the blog, he put a call out for more info regarding a pair of brothers who worked the overnight shift making snow at Loon Mountain Resort, who left for work around the time the accident occurred and whose commute took them down Rt. 112. They were alleged to have pulled a no-call/no-show the night of February 9.

He never followed up on this but much, much later, in one of his posts about the red truck, writes in passing about the Glynn brothers owning a similar vehicle that they were confirmed to have been driving that night. He couches this in the language of dismissal, as he was very much pushing his Canada theory at the time, but what if there's something there that was overlooked in the fog of all this "Quebecois exile" mania?
I remember that post! I wonder if I can find it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What did they talk about on the latest podcast?

I've often wondered why the infamous $4,000 in cash was even divulged by Fred. If he was going to help his daughter purchase a car that weekend, wouldn't it suffice to say "we went to look for a car"? Why was there even a need to bring up the amount of cash he (presumably) had on him? One would think that there had to be some benefit (to him or his daughter) by mentioning the cash aspect, along with the specific amount.

I've often wondered why the infamous $4,000 in cash was even divulged by Fred. If he was going to help his daughter purchase a car that weekend, wouldn't it suffice to say "we went to look for a car"? Why was there even a need to bring up the amount of cash he (presumably) had on him? One would think that there had to be some benefit (to him or his daughter) by mentioning the cash aspect, along with the specific amount.
Possibly because he was facing bankruptcy proceedings. Maybe he realized they were going to be investigating the past of everyone and he needed a reason he had 4k cash?

You here those stories of people going missing and years later when they have been found they were abducted and kept in someone cellar for years, there have been cases like that and they do happen or kidnapped for trafficking!! - but depending on her condition and state of mind she could have just wandered off living another life somewhere or had died from a accident the problem with missing people it always leaves you woundering what has happen to them

Read the Univ of Mass Police Report from 2/22/2004. Fred states in part: "We were going to get her a car. That's why I came up that weekend. We started in Hadley looking at cars $4000 on my person (sic). We went to a place in Northhampton that her boyfriend had good luck with."

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2012/03/police-obtained-fred-murrays-cell-phone.html

I'm sure the police have thoroughly investigated Fred Murray's statements. After all, he was one of the last people to see her. Certainly the police would be able to verify his claims.

Respectfully, I would ask: Why are internet bloggers trying so hard to spin the $4000 into something shady or mysterious? Maybe Fred really did intend to look for a better car for Maura. Maybe Maura's first accident (in Fred's brand new car) put a damper on spending the money that weekend. Maybe Maura's emotional state was a distraction. Who knows? IMO the $4000 has been spun by blogs on the internet to fit their own theory that Fred was helping Maura disappear, to start a new life ..in Canada.

All JMHO

When my daughter was in college, large cash withdrawals were not all that rare for me. College life, dorm life, unexpected expenses are not uncommon. Thank goodness she graduated and those days are over! :)

Read the Univ of Mass Police Report from 2/22/2004. Fred states in part: "We were going to get her a car. That's why I came up that weekend. We started in Hadley looking at cars $4000 on my person (sic). We went to a place in Northhampton that her boyfriend had good luck with."

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2012/03/police-obtained-fred-murrays-cell-phone.html

I'm sure the police have thoroughly investigated Fred Murray's statements. After all, he was one of the last people to see her. Certainly the police would be able to verify his claims.

Respectfully, I would ask: Why are internet bloggers trying so hard to spin the $4000 into something shady or mysterious? Maybe Fred really did intend to look for a better car for Maura. Maybe Maura's first accident (in Fred's brand new car) put a damper on spending the money that weekend. Maybe Maura's emotional state was a distraction. Who knows? IMO the $4000 has been spun by blogs on the internet to fit their own theory that Fred was helping Maura disappear, to start a new life ..in Canada.

All JMHO

When my daughter was in college, large cash withdrawals were not all that rare for me. College life, dorm life, unexpected expenses are not uncommon. Thank goodness she graduated and those days are over! :)
Because in researching the case, there has been doubt cast on him, such as her friends at college stating they didn't think the car had issues or the car making it all the way to NH, or the car place not recalling Fred ever being there...so on and so forth. It's important because it could signify him covering up the real reason Maura went into NH to begin with.

Also, as mentioned above, he was about to lose his house. Where did this 4k come from? Why was it taken from multiple accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member