Brendan Dassey: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's rape, torture, and murder?

Brendan Dassy: Guilty of Teresa Halbach rape, torture, and murder?

• He was an accomplice

Votes: 68 9.2%
  • He assisted in covering up the crime

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • He didn't help but may have seen something

Votes: 67 9.0%
  • Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced

Votes: 231 31.1%
  • Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

Votes: 270 36.3%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 112 15.1%
  • Undecided all around, more information needed

Votes: 37 5.0%

• Total voters
I'm just now rewatching Brendan's lawyers investigator not listen to a word he said. As this meeting continues I am physically ill. WTF???? I'm not even sure I can continue.

If you have not already, I recommend reading the transcripts of his police interviews and watching the ones which are available. He knows things he couldn't possibly know unless he had been there.

That said, his attorney's investigator's "interview" was egregiously out of line. And the attorney should have been with Brendan instead of leaving him alone with police.

If you have not already, I recommend reading the transcripts of his police interviews and watching the ones which are available. He knows things he couldn't possibly know unless he had been there.

That said, his attorney's investigator's "interview" was egregiously out of line. And the attorney should have been with Brendan instead of leaving him alone with police.

Do you have a couple of examples you could point us at ?

***My apologies I am asking the same question as Sustained. And I didn't even get the quote box to work right. ;)

Do you have any particular details in the confession that you feel brought you to your conclusion?

Maybe you've seen something I haven't.
I feel differently. Watching MAM I felt as though maybe BD saw something before.

After seeing the news links during TH initial disappearance noting all the evidence collection as it was happening. Which as expected it in a case like this was speculated on any possible role in the crime from the media weekly if not daily.

I see every detail & piece of physical evidence BD confesses too already being known. With the exclusion of TH being shot in the head, the shell castings in the garage were known.

As we all know the detective word for word ask Brendan who shot her in the head. After of course all the "what happened to her head" queueing which then BD confesses to a brutal bloody crime not supported by evidence.

He also messes up his event sequence so many times I still don't have it straight.

Also making it impossible to follow if any of it is supported by evidence- example the amount of blood evidence not present in the bedroom from the throat slashing, okay so maybe that was in the garage & cleaned up.

IMO there shouldn't be that much speculation in a confession for a crime you only have evidence of the beginning- TH being there evidence of the end- TH bones & bullet fragment. BD made all the middle torture details up from known discovery/evidence collection.

Not sure how it works, but whoever has jurisdiction over the conviction of BD (the county ?, the state ?) must call some sort in investigation or enquiry surrounding the whole proceedings at least,otherwise they reveal that they ultimately don't represent justice.

With all due respect... I think you need to read the interrogations in order. It will become abundantly clear where Brendan came up with all the so called details of his confessions.

http://loaded.co.uk/watch-fbi-cold-case-worker-believes-he-knows-who-killed-teresa-halbach/ I am just putting this here for discussion interesting video link of a serial killer from Wisconsin who habitually killed people on Halloween night and framed people for the murder good video and interesting to say the least was out on the street and supposedly seen in video footage on episode 6 around 12:26 .. They have been trying to identify this person but Have not come to a conclusion on if in fact this is him. Anyways do watch it truly makes you wonder, gosh now I am wondering !

Not sure how it works, but whoever has jurisdiction over the conviction of BD (the county ?, the state ?) must call some sort in investigation or enquiry surrounding the whole proceedings at least,otherwise they reveal that they ultimately don't represent justice.

I don't know either. He did get decertified by the public defender office for serious offense cases. I don't know how often that happens. To me if your attorney is receiving professional repercussions for his performance in you case. At bare minimum it should be mistral.

I thought I read that some motions that would normally be filed didn't and they can't be filed after the trial starts. So his new lawyers didn't even get all options.

Link for decertified.
http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/3589516.html?device=phone&c=y

And another just cause it has more info. And the author shares some of my views 😊
http://www.convolutedbrian.com/brendan-dassey-and-his-attorney-not-a-match.html

Boodles - do please give us those examples of what he knew without being there?

His original innocent statement is the one that never wavered. I believe that one. It was not implied by the police for him to just make him agree to ideas/questions they had thrown at him. He got off the bus, checked the mail, played video games, someone called, his brother went trick or treating, his mom got home. Steven and Brendan would not have had time from 3:30-5pm to do anything. He was so confused thinking he was going back to school and going to watch wrestling too.

Boodles - do please give us those examples of what he knew without being there?

His original innocent statement is the one that never wavered. I believe that one. It was not implied by the police for him to just make him agree to ideas/questions they had thrown at him. He got off the bus, checked the mail, played video games, someone called, his brother went trick or treating, his mom got home. Steven and Brendan would not have had time from 3:30-5pm to do anything. He was so confused thinking he was going back to school and going to watch wrestling too.

You know I read the transcripts and watched the videos about 3 weeks ago (disturbing!). I didn't take notes, and I'm not up for reviewing them again. But it's the totality of all the circumstances, statements, etc., which implicate Brendan. Off the top of my head, having details of the bonfire, having told his cousin (Kayla I recall, but another one, too IIRC), knowing about leg cuffs, rope, etc, knowing that SA was under the hood, remembering that his mom called asking if he was wearing a sweater, who remembers minutia like that when they're pulling fiction out of their butt?

I think the attorneys' investigator was out of line, but I don't think the cops were. IMO, Brandon was trying to walk the line between having actual guilty knowledge while at the same time, trying to somehow kowtow to the pressures of certain family members telling him not to reveal things. That made Brendan a mess of a witness due to his constantly changing his responses and not knowing which tact to take at various points in the interview/interrogation. Is he reliable? No. But does he have too much detail to be uninvolved? IMO, yes.

It's fine that you disagree! And I won't be bothered if he has a new trial, but ultimately, I believe he's involved and is where he needs to be. There's an ounce of truth in every lie, and the cumulative amount of incriminating info in Brendan's tales amounts to guilty knowledge IMO.

I stop in to these threads from time to time, but have pretty much moved on as my interest in this case has dwindled after reading the xscripts, etc.

You know I read the transcripts and watched the videos about 3 weeks ago (disturbing!). I didn't take notes, and I'm not up for reviewing them again. But it's the totality of all the circumstances, statements, etc., which implicate Brendan. Off the top of my head, having details of the bonfire, having told his cousin (Kayla I recall, but another one, too IIRC), knowing about leg cuffs, rope, etc, knowing that SA was under the hood, remembering that his mom called asking if he was wearing a sweater, who remembers minutia like that when they're pulling fiction out of their butt?

I think the attorneys' investigator was out of line, but I don't think the cops were. IMO, Brandon was trying to walk the line between having actual guilty knowledge while at the same time, trying to somehow kowtow to the pressures of certain family members telling him not to reveal things. That made Brendan a mess of a witness due to his constantly changing his responses and not knowing which tact to take at various points in the interview/interrogation. Is he reliable? No. But does he have too much detail to be uninvolved? IMO, yes.

It's fine that you disagree! And I won't be bothered if he has a new trial, but ultimately, I believe he's involved and is where he needs to be. There's an ounce of truth in every lie, and the cumulative amount of incriminating info in Brendan's tales amounts to guilty knowledge IMO.

I stop in to these threads from time to time, but have pretty much moved on as my interest in this case has dwindled after reading the xscripts, etc.

The totality of all the circumstances? Kayla was the only cousin who said Brendan was involved. She's since admitted she lied and that can be backed up with very simple facts. She said he lost forty pounds. Ummm, there are pictures of him witching days of Halbach going missing and his arrest. He was the exact same size. She ASKED if blood could seep up through concrete. There's zero indication Halbach was ever under concrete for her blood to seep up through.

Knowing about leg cuffs and ropes? Can you point me in any direction that verifies ropes and leg cuffs were even used in the crime? Dassey may have said it but there is zero proof either were used. There's actually more proof these things weren't an element of the crime. These things were tested and had no Halbach DNA on them. And you should read/view the interrogation when it comes to the hood being lifted. Dassey had no clue what they wanted to hear. THEY told him "Something about the hood... Can you tell us why he opened the hood? What was he doing under the hood?" Dassey never said Avery opened the hood. The investigators told him Avery did.

There's not a single indication this boy witnessed anything.

I believe Dassey is completely innocent but perhaps he might have seen something (I do wonder if someone else committed the crime and Dassey saw that and not what he said).

His "confession" is remarkably similar to that of the West Memphis Three and that was later reasonably proven to be coerced and untrue.

I feel terrible for Dassey, he is a victim in this.

What about his brother Bobby?
He was there that day also he said he watche'd her
From the window .

If you believe Brendan in the 5/13/06 interrogation, TH would have been tied up in SA's trailer from around 3 - 8:30 PM as according to BD, she was alive when taken to the garage around 8:30 or so. After 8:30 she was stabbed, shot 5 times and no one at the Dasseys heard anything. BD also said that the knife used to murder TH was put under the seat in the RAV4, but no blood/knife was ever found that I am aware of. He also said that SA took the RAV4 out to the pit and stashed it after he went home to bed. BD said he went home around 10 and talked to his mom ( with bleach/blood ) on his pants/shoes before he went to bed. Something ain't right here ...

If you believe Brendan in the 5/13/06 interrogation, TH would have been tied up in SA's trailer from around 3 - 8:30 PM as according to BD, she was alive when taken to the garage around 8:30 or so. After 8:30 she was stabbed, shot 5 times and no one at the Dasseys heard anything. BD also said that the knife used to murder TH was put under the seat in the RAV4, but no blood/knife was ever found that I am aware of. He also said that SA took the RAV4 out to the pit and stashed it after he went home to bed. BD said he went home around 10 and talked to his mom ( with bleach/blood ) on his pants/shoes before he went to bed. Something ain't right here ...

I thought the death of TH happened somewhere between 4pm and 5:30pm and the "get rid of/burn the body, clean the garage" time frame was somewhere around 6pm-ish and on. Then again the timeline has been confusing.

I thought the death of TH happened somewhere between 4pm and 5:30pm and the "get rid of/burn the body, clean the garage" time frame was somewhere around 6pm-ish and on. Then again the timeline has been confusing.

Have a listen to the 5/13/06 interrogation when BD supposedly wanted to talk to Wiegart and Fassbender. BD said there was a clock in SA's bedroom at the time he was allegedly raping TH and when they moved her to the garage. All of his statements have been contradictory, so I
really don't know what to believe.

What say you?

I voted probably not guilty, his confession was coerced.

I think he saw something and maybe did help clean up, but it obviously didn't happen like he first said it did- I don't believe Teresa was ever in the trailer, let alone tied up and stabbed there. I think he was telling the truth when he said he drew that picture of her tied up from memory of a picture he saw in the Kiss the Girls book.

I feel sorry for him, he didn't get any help from anyone and was railroaded.

I don't see that there can be any doubt about the confession being coerced.
Absolutely appalling treatment and I'm gobsmacked that a child his age and with his IQ could have been interviewed without a parent or guardian present.

However, I also had to put a vote in for "assisted in covering up the crime".
IMHO there's sufficient evidence to support the belief that there was a clean-up in the garage that night - BD's (admittedly inconsistent) statements, the call with his mother where he talks about helping SA clean up the garage, the bleach stains on his jeans and the luminol results showing a large bleached patch on the garage floor.

What I'm not sure about is what exactly was cleaned up.
The possibilities that come to mind are :

1. The clean up was totally unrelated to the crime and SA really is the unluckiest man alive to have picked that night to spruce up the garage along with all the other coincidences.
2. The version of events in BD's confession is true and it really did happen as he said it did. (Given that other evidence just doesn't fit with that narrative, I also find that particular version of events very hard to believe.)
3. BD was involved in the crime and something relating to it (but not as described in his confession) took place in the garage that required a clean up.
4. Something related to the crime (but not as described in BD's confession) took place in the garage, requiring a clean up. BD is ignorant of what actually occurred and helped his uncle clean up in all innocence.

I don't see that there can be any doubt about the confession being coerced.
Absolutely appalling treatment and I'm gobsmacked that a child his age and with his IQ could have been interviewed without a parent or guardian present.

However, I also had to put a vote in for "assisted in covering up the crime".
IMHO there's sufficient evidence to support the belief that there was a clean-up in the garage that night - BD's (admittedly inconsistent) statements, the call with his mother where he talks about helping SA clean up the garage, the bleach stains on his jeans and the luminol results showing a large bleached patch on the garage floor.

What I'm not sure about is what exactly was cleaned up.
The possibilities that come to mind are :

1. The clean up was totally unrelated to the crime and SA really is the unluckiest man alive to have picked that night to spruce up the garage along with all the other coincidences.
2. The version of events in BD's confession is true and it really did happen as he said it did. (Given that other evidence just doesn't fit with that narrative, I also find that particular version of events very hard to believe.)
3. BD was involved in the crime and something relating to it (but not as described in his confession) took place in the garage that required a clean up.
4. Something related to the crime (but not as described in BD's confession) took place in the garage, requiring a clean up. BD is ignorant of what actually occurred and helped his uncle clean up in all innocence.

I don't believe this child was involved in or witnessed anything, including cleaning up blood or seeing a body in the fire after the fact. His third confession at the very end, after discussing how he and Avery did all these terrible things, the investigators asked him how he felt. Brendan's response? He's sad because he thought for three or four months Avery hadn't murdered Halbach. How could he possibly think that if he'd participating in or helped clean up a murder scene?

I don't believe this child was involved in or witnessed anything, including cleaning up blood or seeing a body in the fire after the fact. His third confession at the very end, after discussing how he and Avery did all these terrible things, the investigators asked him how he felt. Brendan's response? He's sad because he thought for three or four months Avery hadn't murdered Halbach. How could he possibly think that if he'd participating in or helped clean up a murder scene?

could it get any worse for that kid? Thanks for listening to those Sinsaint, I couldn't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back