VT - Wrong-Way Crash Kills Five, Chittenden County, Williston, 8 Oct 2016 *Arrest*

This crash reminds me a lot of the one that is in trial right now in NC.

Chandler Kania, 20 at the time of the crash in 2015 was extremely drunk, high, got into a verbal fight with a fellow fraternity brother and, despite several friends trying to physically stop him, he got in his jeep, ended up driving the wrong way on the Interstate at speeds in excess of 80mph, and crashed head on into a vehicle carrying 2 women and 2 young children. All but one child died. It's horrific.

He of course suffered some broken bones but nothing serious.

He's being tried for 2nd degree murder and is on trial. He plead guilty to felony homicide by vehicle right before the trial started. So the trial is essentially about "intent," which is what has to be determined to be convicted of 2nd degree murder.

The trial is happening in Orange County, as the accident occurred near Chapel Hill, NC.

This crash reminds me a lot of the one that is in trial right now in NC.

Chandler Kania, 20 at the time of the crash in 2015 was extremely drunk, high, got into a verbal fight with a fellow fraternity brother and, despite several friends trying to physically stop him, he got in his jeep, ended up driving the wrong way on the Interstate at speeds in excess of 80mph, and crashed head on into a vehicle carrying 2 women and 2 young children. All but one child died. It's horrific.

He of course suffered some broken bones but nothing serious.

He's being tried for 2nd degree murder and is on trial. He plead guilty to felony homicide by vehicle right before the trial started. So the trial is essentially about "intent," which is what has to be determined to be convicted of 2nd degree murder.

The trial is happening in Orange County, as the accident occurred near Chapel Hill, NC.

I've been watching this trial. You are so right Madeline, absolutely tragic! Kania had no regard for the people who lost their lives, to the point of continuous honking his horn and yelling obscenities at the accident scene. Just truly unbelievable! IMO, he IS guilty........

A year later, accused killer awaits trial

http://www.stowetoday.com/waterbury_record/news/local_news/a-year-later-accused-killer-awaits-trial/article_2457eed6-a9d6-11e7-a136-2b3f2905c953.html

This Sunday will mark a year since a Williston man allegedly ran his pickup truck head-on into a car carrying five Harwood-area 11th-graders, killing them all.

A year later, their classmates are seniors in high school. And a year later, there’s no indication that the murder case against Steven Bourgoin is anywhere close to being finished.

T.J. Donovan, the Chittenden County state’s attorney, who was elected Vermont’s attorney general a month after the crash, said Bourgoin showed a “wanton disregard for the value of human life,” intentionally driving the wrong way on I-89 at excessive speeds. The five deaths are believed to be the largest mass homicide case charged criminally in Vermont.

According to the Chittenden County Superior Court docket, Bourgoin is next due in court Oct. 20, for a status conference. Also due to appear for the conference are four victim’s advocates.

Gazebo dedicated to teens killed in wrong-way crash

Thank You for posting this, I was just thinking of it the other day as I have a friend that lives in VT. very close to it all and she was talking about it.
I asked why it has taken so long to get this guy to court and well the wheels of justice and she said there were so many witnesses with all the statements to get. I believe the article said over 100 witnesses. I say lets get it done.
One year today and my thoughts are with all the family and friends.

Wrong-way driver trial may see delay

https://www.timesargus.com/articles/wrong-way-driver-trial-may-see-delay/

The criminal trial of a wrong-way driver charged with killing five Mad River Valley teenagers in a fiery crash on Interstate 89 in Williston a year ago could be delayed until at least April.

There are potentially 50 depositions of police officers that may still need to be taken in the case involving Steven Bourgoin, 37, of Williston, defense lawyer Robert Katims said in Vermont Superior Court late Friday afternoon.

Chittenden County State’s Attorney Sarah George said after the court hearing she had been hoping for a trial in February, but now believes April is more likely.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Report-confirms-THC-in-driver-charged-with-I-89-wrong-way-fatal-crash-460523303.html

The toxicology report of a man charged with killing five teens in a wrong-way crash on Interstate 89 last year reveals what was in his bloodstream hours after the fatal crash. The report shows that hours after the crash, Steven Bourgoin, 27, still had a mix of several drugs in his blood: THC, the mind-altering ingredient of marijuana; fentanyl, an opioid pain medication; and Midazolam, a sedative.

Bourgoin has pleaded not guilty to five counts of second-degree murder and is awaiting trial. And Chittenden County Prosecutor Sarah George says this toxicology report has nothing to do with her murder case against Bourgoin.

"This toxicology report just shows that he had marijuana in his system. If that was the only factor involved and he was charged with driving under the influence of drugs, this would be a very different conversation," George said. "I didn't want it released because I don't want people trying to justify his actions based on that."

Sounds like Rep. Ben Joseph wants to use this to keep from legalizing pot in VT.
What Bourgoin did had very little to do with smoking some pot. No where in the article did I see a court date, just awaiting trial.
I check the VT. papers often and just did around the anniversary but saw nothing.
So thank you for the update because I have not forgot about this.

Insanity defense for driver of car in crash that killed five teens

Steven Bourgoin, awaiting trial on charges of second-degree murder from a fatal head-on collision that killed five teenagers in the fall of 2016, will raise an insanity defense, according to newly filed court documents.

It was reported at the time of the 2016 accident that Bourgoin had mental health issues that had not been addressed. VTDigger reported at the time that Bourgoin had spent the morning before the crash in and out of the emergency room.

It was reported that Bourgoin had told a friend that he had anxiety and PTSD from traumatic childhood experiences. An officer from the Williston Police Department who responded to the crash and who knew Bourgoin from previous interactions told investigators that Bourgoin had PTSD.

Bourgoin to seek change of venue

A Williston driver accused of killing five teenagers in a 2016 car crash on Interstate 89 plans to seek a change of venue for his trial out of Chittenden County, State’s Attorney Sarah George said Monday.

The move, which George plans to object to, is one of several issues that have conspired to delay the trial. Originally scheduled to begin this month, the trial has been pushed back to at least September, George said.

Crash trial unlikely until November
Judge Kevin Griffin said the case against Steven Bourgoin, 37, has drawn considerable news coverage and some potential jurors in all 14 Vermont counties may have read about the case. He said he needs to know more about the news coverage statewide before he rules on a defense request to move the trial to another county.

The judge gave the prosecution and defense until June 11 to submit samples of what they think might be prejudicial news stories.

It appears the trial won’t begin until at least November.

Trial of Bourgoin, suspect in I-89 crash that killed 5 Vermonters, to stay in Burlington
Burlington Judge Kevin Griffin's decision to keep the trial local comes after defense attorneys for Steven Bourgoin, 37, of Williston argued earlier this year that it would be impossible for the man to have a fair trial in Burlington due to "widespread and continuous" media coverage.

"Chittenden County offers the largest pool of jurors from which a panel can be selected in the state," Griffin wrote in his decision. "Given the statewide nature of the news coverage alleged by Defendant to be prejudicial, this fact further supports the Court finding that a change of venue is unwarranted."

JMO
Im not sure I agree with the judges reason. I understand they dont want to always move trials because it is probably costly but his reason dont make much sense.

He says because its statewide coverage anyway so i guess he is implying that everyone would know about the case anyway so why move it. But then doesnt that mean he is admitting there is too much publicity to get a fair trial in the entire state?

Or i guess he may be saying that with the place having the most potential jurors that there is more chance to find people that havent read or heard the news in the place with the most people.

Its always a little confusing about the publicity a case gets and how to get an impartial jury.

I guess the key is to get jurors that are willing to ignore what they heard before in the news and give a fair trial. No matter if they heard news or not.

All I know is if I was the defendent I would want the case tried as far away from the area of the accident as possible. Emotions are bound to be higher near the accident. So to me that is a valid concern.

I see both sides of this issue too though. Because if I was a family member of the victims then I would not want to be inconvenienced and be able to attend the trial. And a jury of ones peers would be considered to be peers from the area in which one lives I would think. So there are two sides to this issue. Its always a little confusing and complicated to me.

Last edited:
I would imagine the whole state was and is aware of this horrendous accident that took the five lives of such promising awesome kids. Steven Bourgoin deserves whatever he gets and I hope it is years in prison. He could also have killed more people once he got into that police cruiser.
Thank You JerseyGirl for the update, I think about this accident often. I will keep looking come November.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back