Todd Kohlhepp - Breaking News / Latest Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he could only not buy new ones and somehow got special permission to keep ones he already owned somehow?

There is no way he owned as many as have been described to be there, IMO.
Kohlhepp -- who is 5-foot-11 and weighs about 300 pounds -- had numerous guns on the property, officials said.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/us/todd-kohlhepp-south-carolina-suspect/

Although he DID ask his mother to send his knife and gun when he got out of prison.
In the report, Kohlhepp’s mother said he had received letters from him while he was in prison in which he said he was sorry for raping the girl, but she said she did not believe him and that “he had absolutely no remorse regarding the offense. She felt that his only concern was to get out of custody and to have his things, including a knife and gun, shipped to South Carolina.”
http://www.wyff4.com/article/suspec...eply-troubled-past-court-records-show/8243951

I wonder if the gun he wanted shipped is the same one he used to rape the 14 year old? Surely that gun would be held in evidence and taken away, right? :maddening:

There are many craigslist-esque websites for firearms and ammunition and it would have been particularly easy to purchase without proof of anything in my experience. And from a quick internet search there is no weapon registration in South Carolina. Would have been very easy for him to amass his collection online without anyone knowing better about his past.

Why would NN (or NC I guess?) want them? We know CDC unfortunately passed long ago, why would she want/need his phone records now??

It was oct 8 according to warrant posted in sun forum titled with her arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way he owned as many as have been described to be there, IMO.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/us/todd-kohlhepp-south-carolina-suspect/

Although he DID ask his mother to send his knife and gun when he got out of prison.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/suspec...eply-troubled-past-court-records-show/8243951

I wonder if the gun he wanted shipped is the same one he used to rape the 14 year old? Surely that gun would be held in evidence and taken away, right? :maddening:
I think the hand gun used in the rape was his dad's, but he was holding a rifle when the police arrived. Maybe that was his?

Good grief this just gets crazier!

So who told the lady that was interviewed that TK had special permission to own firearms?!? Was that false info or did she lie about calling the police?

:scared:

I thought she meant the special permission was for him moving his real estate license from Greenville county to Spartanburg.

Hers was an interview I only watched once though. I could have misunderstood.

How did Todd Kohlhepp acquire guns? 'Good question' grnol.co/2fecfsb via @greenvillenews and @tcsmith312

From Greenville News Twitter.

Again, here is a good start on how he was able to purchase guns with ease:

I've purchased off of websites like this several times and half the time after the money was exchanged a handshake was offered and we were on our way. The other half the seller wanted a copy of my drivers license (a private seller wouldn't do a background check more for covering their butt) and we would carry on. A lot of states in the south are very lax with their gun laws so purchasing can be done not at an authorized dealer where they would run a background check. I've even went to pick up a gun from an authorized FFL dealer (like a gun store) and it would literally be a guys basement, to get a license to deal costs like 200$.

Has anyone confirmed for fact that TK was back on the property today along with excavator equipment

Again, here is a good start on how he was able to purchase guns with ease:

I've purchased off of websites like this several times and half the time after the money was exchanged a handshake was offered and we were on our way. The other half the seller wanted a copy of my drivers license (a private seller wouldn't do a background check more for covering their butt) and we would carry on. A lot of states in the south are very lax with their gun laws so purchasing can be done not at an authorized dealer where they would run a background check. I've even went to pick up a gun from an authorized FFL dealer (like a gun store) and it would literally be a guys basement, to get a license to deal costs like 200$.

It can be done ... not uncommon many do not register their guns, easy to get unfortunate but true

I thought she meant the special permission was for him moving his real estate license from Greenville county to Spartanburg.

Hers was an interview I only watched once though. I could have misunderstood.

You may be right, I did not watch the video I only read it. The way I read the interview, it was TK talking about his guns at the closing on her house that gave her a weird vibe and made her look him up, only THEN did she find out he was sex offender. She contacted the RE board and they said they were aware. She contact LE and they said he had special approval. I just checked the wording and it was annoyingly vague:

She said more than a year ago when Kohlhepp was the listing real estate agent for a home she wanted to buy.

"Very erratic, weird behavior, creepy eyes and then making comments about the guns," she said.

She bought the home, but says during her closing meeting Kohlhepp acted strange.
"At the end of the closing he was bragging about his guns and stating how he was stressed out and how he was going to go shoot guns when he left," Waddell said.
She searched some more and found out he's a registered sex offender, a felon with guns, and a man armed with a real estate license.

"I contacted the Greenville Board of Realtors and they stated they knew who he was. They've had repeated complaints- had to bring him in several times to their office because of problems. And it was so bad that he left the county and took his license to Spartanburg. I contacted the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Department and asked to speak to the sex offender's office which I did. And she said he had to have special approval and he did," Waddell said.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/33635575/...red-sex-offender-get-a-sc-real-estate-license

BBM.
The line about him being a felon with guns is what made me think that was one of the major concerns she called about. I also thought I saw reporter tweets saying he had special approval to have guns...but now I can't find them. Anyone else remember seeing that?

The special approval comment was unclear if it referred to the real estate license or his ability to own guns.

It's a giant problem if someone reported to LE a year ago that a felon owned guns and they told her it was fine... IMO

In South Carolina you must have a record background check prior to purchasing a gun. If you order online, the gun must come in to a registered dealer. They will not ship to a customer directly. Also it is a SC law that u cannot go out of State to purchase a gun if that State does NOT border SC. My husband collects guns and we have lived here over 40 years. What the State of SC does fail to do is track guns sold personally between private citizens. That is probably how he got his firearms,

OT: I'm from the south. Just about everyone I know owns rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Many women and kids hunt too. I've known of some schools (in the past) to close on the 1st day of duck/deer season due to the absences. It's so easy to buy weapons from friends and relatives. I belong to several FB groups where guns are sold and traded daily. y husband and I don't hunt. I was a super careful mom and when my kids 1st started going to friends houses for sleepovers, I'd question the parents about guns and gun locks. We were the only ones w/o guns.

Thanks for this thread, I tend to get left behind when it goes into the sub forum format, so this will at least help me keep up with the general news! I hadn't heard they found another body yesterday...smh...how awful. I do wonder about KB saying four people buried there...I feel like there is another!!

I know what you mean. I thought I would have a nervous breakdown when they created the Heather Elvis sub forums because that was the first case that brought me to WS... so I was new and I had no idea how to find anything or which thread was the most fitting to post something in. But after a while... it got a lot easier to find stuff without having to scroll thru a gazillion posts to locate it. It took a lot of work on my end to adapt to the change, so I definitely feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member