GUILTY TN - Six elementary students killed in Chattanooga school bus crash, 21 Nov 2016

Not only do the buses not have seatbelts, but around here they seem to hire just anybody who can pass a CDL test. I had a relative with an obvious drug problem who was fired from a retail job for stealing money from the register, and got a job driving a school bus. Luckily the lady who drives my kids' bus is fantastic. Not saying this driver was at fault. We all know how fast an accident can happen. Praying for everybody.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Chattanooga Police Chief Fred Fletcher called the site of the crash a crime scene during a press conference tonight, and said authorities are currently investigating what caused the crash.

"One contributing factor may be speed," he said.

The bus was carrying 35 students and 23 were taken to a local hospital, according to authorities.

It took emergency crews more than two hours to get all of the students off the bus, which was toppled on its side.

Two bloodied students laid on stretchers in a front yard nearly an hour after the crash receiving attention from first responders.

Others who weren't rushed to the hospital walked away clutching their parents' hands, looking dazed with cuts on their faces.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/nov/21/school-bus-crashes-talley-road/399032/

In Wake County (Raleigh,NC) the school buses do 35 mph with flashing lights on a major highway(1-40,440) were the speed limit is 55mph.This is an accident waiting to happen.We have laws for car seats but put children on a highway with no seatbelts.How about some of that lottory money for education?No new buses should be made without them.
I just had a thought about fire evacuation,how well would that work?

So heartbreaking. Much love to the families who have to suffer through this tragedy.

Given the state that bus is in its possible even seatbelts wouldn't have saved them. That said, I totally agree schoolbuses should have seatbelts.

Terrible tragedy all the families of the children who have died are in my prayers. All the injured children and their families are also in my prayers. The poor children who have survived look understandably traumatised I hope they have access to counselling ASAP. Just before Thanksgiving and Christmas too it's just awful. 2016 has been a very tragic year.

Sadly, no. Seatbelts are not mandatory in American school buses. Very few districts have them.

I've never seen seatbelts on school buses, although we live in a district that's considered desirable. One of the things is, they pad the seats so kids who are flung around typically do okay in a minor accident, and few school buses are in major accidents. Also, it is hard to get kids off a bus if they're belted in and there's a problem like a small wreck that could cause a fire. I think the need to evacuate a bus for a safety issue overrides the need to strap kids in when the seats are all padded.

This is horrifically sad. Prayers for parents who lost their beloved children, and prayers for families who are struggling with hospitalized children.

Bus driver arrested charged w 5 counts vehicular homicide per Nashville News 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen seatbelts on school buses, although we live in a district that's considered desirable. One of the things is, they pad the seats so kids who are flung around typically do okay in a minor accident, and few school buses are in major accidents. Also, it is hard to get kids off a bus if they're belted in and there's a problem like a small wreck that could cause a fire. I think the need to evacuate a bus for a safety issue overrides the need to strap kids in when the seats are all padded.

This is horrifically sad. Prayers for parents who lost their beloved children, and prayers for families who are struggling with hospitalized children.

I rode in school buses with no seat belts when I was a kid. I thought it was strange. Lucky we had no accidents.

So I'm guessing speed was a factor...

At this point, it looks like it might have allegedly been speed and recklessness.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/2...killed-6-children-left-23-others-injured.html

A Tennessee bus driver was charged with five counts of vehicular homicide, reckless endangerment and reckless driving after six children were killed and 23 others were injured when the vehicle crashed into a house Monday afternoon, police said.

Chattanooga Police Chief Fred Fletcher announced the charges for 24-yea-rold Johnthony Walker in a press conference late Monday.

My first thought, after sadness for the kids and families, was to wonder if the driver was texting while driving.

What a tragedy. I can't imagine... Those poor children and their loved ones!
[video=cnn;us/2016/11/22/chattanooga-school-bus-crash-orig-jnd-vstop.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/21/us/tennessee-chattanooga-school-bus-accident/index.html?adkey=bn[/video]

In Tennessee, there are several different types of involuntary manslaughter that are illegal. In order of severity, shown by penalty class from high to low, they are:
  • Vehicular homicide is the reckless killing of another while driving a car, plane, boat, or other vehicle. The defendant's actions must have created a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury, been illegally drag racing, or been intoxicated from alcohol or drugs. Drinking and driving vehicular homicide is a Class B felony. Other vehicular homicide is a Class C felony.

39-13-103. Reckless endangerment.(a) A person commits an offense who recklessly engages in conduct that places or may place another person in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.
(b) Reckless endangerment is a Class A misdemeanor; however, reckless endangerment committed with a deadly weapon is a Class E felony.

55-10-205. Reckless driving.(a) Any person who drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property commits reckless driving. A violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

IANAL, but these are the crimes he is currently accused of, as best I can tell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back