Australia Australia - Quanne Diec, 12, Granville, NSW, 27 Jul 1998 *Arrest*

Man accused of murdering missing school girl Quanne Diec leads police to location he allegedly buried her

'The man accused of murdering missing Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec is leading detectives to where he allegedly buried her body.

Key points:

• Police are searching an area south of Wollongong for the body of Quanne Diec
  • Vinzent Tarantino, the man accused of murdering her, led them there
  • Diec has not been seen for 18 years
Vinzent Tarantino, who is also known as Victor Gerada, has led detectives to an area of bushland south of Appin Road at Bulli Tops, south of Sydney.

A storm has struck and heavy fog has shrouded the search area, which is in drinking water catchment land.'

Man accused of murdering missing school girl Quanne Diec leads police to location he allegedly buried her

'The man accused of murdering missing Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec is leading detectives to where he allegedly buried her body.

Key points:

• Police are searching an area south of Wollongong for the body of Quanne Diec
  • Vinzent Tarantino, the man accused of murdering her, led them there
  • Diec has not been seen for 18 years
Vinzent Tarantino, who is also known as Victor Gerada, has led detectives to an area of bushland south of Appin Road at Bulli Tops, south of Sydney.

A storm has struck and heavy fog has shrouded the search area, which is in drinking water catchment land.'
Thank you. North of Wollongong, though, I think. About an hour and a half's drive from the Parramatta region, and reasonably direct.

I thought the search of the Second Avenue house was for the body. Perhaps that was a reporter's inference and they were looking for something else. Otherwise Tarantino took his time nominating where he buried Quanne. And he's indicated several areas . . . all thick bushland.

Quanne would have passed the end of his street each day on her way to the station so it's quite plausible he targeted her. Also, the Australia Post facility where she was apparently last seen/photographed is opposite the the intersection of Second Avenue and Factory Street. The lane between Second and Third Avenue would have been convenient too. But . . . I hope he isn't playing games.

Thank you. North of Wollongong, though, I think. About an hour and a half's drive from the Parramatta region, and reasonably direct.

I thought the search of the Second Avenue house was for the body. Perhaps that was a reporter's inference and they were looking for something else. Otherwise Tarantino took his time nominating where he buried Quanne. And he's indicated several areas . . . all thick bushland.

Quanne would have passed the end of his street each day on her way to the station so it's quite plausible he targeted her. Also, the Australia Post facility where she was apparently last seen/photographed is opposite the the intersection of Second Avenue and Factory Street. The lane between Second and Third Avenue would have been convenient too. But . . . I hope he isn't playing games.

Spot on JLZ:

'For much of the day on Wednesday, Mr Tarantino, dressed in prison greens and handcuffs, walked through bushland in Bulli Tops, near Wollongong, with police officers.'

'Rosehill police commander, Superintendent Scott Whyte, said nothing was found on Wednesday but Mr Tarantino had showed officers several locations in the bushland area off Appin Road that may be relevant to the search.

However, he said it would be "very difficult" to find Quanne's remains.

It's understood Mr Tarantino's memory is very patchy and the bushland area has changed over time.

"[The bushland] is extremely dense and obviously, in 18 years, you can imagine there's been significant environmental factors that have impacted on growth ... that's going to make it a very difficult task," he told reporters at the scene on Wednesday afternoon.

He said the search concluded on Wednesday and police will use "high-level images" taken of the site and other information given by Mr Tarantino to assess the best course of action.'

'Quanne left her home on Seventh Street, Granville, about 7.30am on July 27, 1998, to go to Strathfield Girls High School.

She was intending to catch a train from Clyde to Strathfield but was never seen again.

Police believe she was enticed into a van on Factory Street, Granville, about 400 metres away from both the Diecs' home and the home of Mr Tarantino.'

'Police have spent the past three days searching the Geradas' home in Granville for Quanne's remains.

A mattress and other items were taken away for examination and parts of the back yard have been dug up.
'

Man accused of murdering schoolgirl Quanne Diec leads police on bush search

Police have called off the bushland search for the remains of schoolgirl Quanne Diec south of Sydney.
Murder-accused Vinzent Tarantino led police to an area of dense bush in Bulli Tops, near Wollongong, yesterday, where the 12-year-old's body is believed to be buried.
Tarantino was charged with murder after walking into Surry Hills police station on Sunday and remains in custody.
A police spokesman said investigators are "consolidating a plan" in the search for the girl's remains.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...ff-for-quanne-diec-s-body#1Yvj1g0GpWmHlDEU.99

Symbah's link says the search at the Gerada home has also been concluded. I wonder if the search was concluded before Tarantino brought up the Bulli location. Just thinking he might have been trying to lead away from the house for one reason or other.

Symbah's link says the search at the Gerada home has also been concluded. I wonder if the search was concluded before Tarantino brought up the Bulli location. Just thinking he might have been trying to lead away from the house for one reason or other.

Yes JLZ. Methinks we'll be reading in MSM any day now that the excavators have turned up in the driveway:

'A police spokesman said investigators are "consolidating a plan" in the search for the girl's remains.

After yesterday's trek through bushland with a handcuffed Tarantino, investigators would discuss the most likely burial sites, police said.'

Search for Quanne Diec's body called off while police 'consolidate a plan'

I'm curious as to why suppression orders have not been carried out in regards Vincent since he had been in witness protection.

Has Tarantino entered a plea? Has he actually confessed? If so, can't he remember what time he strangled Quanne better than between 6:30am and 7:30pm? "Murdered in retaliation for what I have done" might not even be referring to killing Quanne; perhaps he means his brother and partner were murdered as a result of his giving information against bikies.

Not AFAIK JLZ but if he's confessed to murdering Quanne during his interview with police on Sunday it may be in his best interests to so enter an early guilty plea. All that been reported in MSM is:

'The 49-year-old man attended Surry Hills police station on Sunday afternoon to speak to detectives.

He was later charged with murder and refused bail. He is due to appear in court on Monday.'

Man charged with the murder of missing Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec

and:

'According to court documents, Mr Tarantino "did entice away and detain Quanne Diec, with intent to hold her for ransom, and caused her a substantial injury".'

Police search for body of missing schoolgirl Quanne Diac 700 metres from family home

Regarding the time of Quanne's murder, MSM reports are contradictory:

'Superintendent Whyte said on Monday that police will allege Quanne was killed a short time after she disappeared.'

Man charged with the murder of missing Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec

and:

'He murdered her between 6.30am and 7.30pm on July 27, 1998, the court documents say.'

Police search for body of missing schoolgirl Quanne Diac 700 metres from family home

The fact that he can't recall the exact time of Quanne's death may be due to the length of time since her murder and his frequent bouts of psychosis since witnessing the Hellfire Club murders before allegedly murdering Quanne:

'The man accused of killing schoolgirl Quanne Diec was put in witness protection and spiralled into mental illness after witnessing the aftermath of a triple-murder a year before he allegedly snatched the schoolgirl, Fairfax Media has learnt.'

and presumably up to and including when he was interviewed and arrested on Sunday:

'It's unknown what prompted Mr Tarantino to suddenly speak to police after 18 years. However he had allegedly been walking around Surry Hills with a 35-centimetre kitchen knife on Sunday in an episode that has mimicked other apparent breakdowns he has had in the past.'

The strange past of schoolgirl Quanne Diec's alleged killer Vinzent Tarantino

Of course, it may be due to police hedging their bets so they have all their bases covered in relation to a timeline of the alleged murder to guard against an unexpected alibi IMO.

I'm curious as to why suppression orders have not been carried out in regards Vincent since he had been in witness protection.

Tarantino didn't give evidence during against the two perpetrators of the murders at the Hellfire Club because he tried to take his own life. Also, he may not have been subject to lifetime witness protection and/or suppression order(s) reading this:

'Earlier, the Daily Telegraph revealed the accused killer was in witness protection at the same time that he was the prime suspect in the murder of Quanne.

The bizarre mix-up happened because murder suspect Tarantino was in fear for his life from bikies after giving police information about the killings of three Bandidos at the Hellfire nightclub where he was working as a security guard.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of 12-year-old Quanne on July 27, 1998, were never told that the man they believed had abducted her was on the *witness protection program, sources said.

Tarantino, 49, who changed his name from Victor David Gerada, eventually did not give evidence at the trial of the two Rebels *bikies convicted of the Hellfire murders because he tried to commit suicide.

The murders at the bondage club took place just eight months before Quanne was grabbed on the way from her home in Seventh St, Granville, to catch the train to Strathfield Girls High.'

'The secrecy surrounding witness protection is believed to have played a part in why detectives were never told of Tarantino’s involvement in the program.'

'He had discovered the bodies of Bandidos president Michael Alexander Kulakowski, inner-city president Sasha Milenkovic and club member Rick De Stoop who had all been shot in the head in the basement of the Hellfire club, then in Chippendale, in November 1997.

He spent a period in witness protection and living an itinerant life, moving on whenever his true identity was discovered, according to District Court documents.

His secret life emerged at a boozy dinner party in 2005 after a row broke out following Tarantino’s belief he had seen two men in a laneway outside the house and one of them mentioned a gunman would be arriving soon.'

Accused Granville Strangler* in police protection at the time he was suspected of killing schoolgirl

* btw check out the title of the MSM article. Nothing like the Tele to put sensationalist spin on a story's headline - except maybe the Dsily Mail.

AFAIK the case against the alleged perpetrators of the murders of the three bikies in the Hellfire Club didn't make it to trial. Also, Tarantino may not have been subject to lifetime witness protection and/or suppression order(s)?
"Tarantino, 49, who changed his name from Victor David Gerada, eventually did not give evidence at the trial of the two Rebels *bikies convicted of the Hellfire murders because he tried to commit suicide."

(BBM) From the article I linked above, http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/b4cc7c663e97f06ac409419956d61e79

I don't know whether it would make a difference to his eligibility for ongoing witness protection that he didn't end up giving evidence? Perhaps no suppression order has been made because nobody has applied for it. Trying to suicide to avoid giving evidence would presumably go some way towards making peace with the crooks one has offended. And, poor guy, to have found the bodies.

Sorry, Bohemian, I jumped before you'd finished editing.

I was wondering about that title too--whether it's media creativity.

"Tarantino, 49, who changed his name from Victor David Gerada, eventually did not give evidence at the trial of the two Rebels *bikies convicted of the Hellfire murders because he tried to commit suicide."

(BBM) From the article I linked above, http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/b4cc7c663e97f06ac409419956d61e79

I don't know whether it would make a difference to his eligibility for ongoing witness protection that he didn't end up giving evidence? Perhaps no suppression order has been made because nobody has applied for it. Trying to suicide to avoid giving evidence would presumably go some way towards making peace with the crooks one has offended. And, poor guy, to have found the bodies.

I was editing my post for accuracy when you replied JLZ.

I don't know either. AFAIK it's rare for a magistrate to grant lifetime suppression orders and, you're right, as he waa moving around living an itinerant lifestyle and was reported to have had frequent bouts of psychosis, legal representation may have been out of his reach. I'd be pretty paranoid if I'd been subpoenaed as a potential witness in a trial involving murder, especially those of OMCG members by members of another gang. I suspect they'd have very long memories and anything but a successful suicide attempt would be less than satisfactory.

Sorry, Bohemian, I jumped before you'd finished editing.

I was wondering about that title too--whether it's media creativity.

No problem. I think it is kind of you to call the headline 'media creativity'. I was thinking more along the lines of typical MSM b******* :)

I think I must be the NSW homicide squad jonah. I hear they do a really good job, but this is the 3rd case, I have followed consecutively where they just can't sew the ends up. I had this effect on Pat Rafter whenever I watched him play tennis, he lost, but he won when I wasn't looking, same with Manly football team for a few years as well.

I think I must be the NSW homicide squad jonah. I hear they do a really good job, but this is the 3rd case, I have followed consecutively where they just can't sew the ends up. I had this effect on Pat Rafter whenever I watched him play tennis, he lost, but he won when I wasn't looking, same with Manly football team for a few years as well.

Oh froggy, it's not you. It's me too. I think I'm up to half a dozen where there's been no 'quick' justice or no justice at all. Tennis and football aside, I always take the side of the underdog and sadly, unless a lot of noise is made, their cases can be relegated to 'cold case' very quickly. It's a dreadful situation when you almost have to take to the streets to advocate for VoC and to pressure the bean-counters to allocate additional resources so police can bring the perpetrators to justice. That said, with the advent of computer hardware and software, internet and communications technology, more cold cases seem to be well on their way to being solved.

Ha ha frogwell, my husband's a huge Manly fan and suffers the same superstitious worry when they play. He's blaming himself for watching them too much this year. I can't stand footy, so keep playing it up :wink:

The parents across Australia still hoping for their lost children to come home

'THIS week the parents of Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec got news they had been dreading for 18 years. It was also the news they had been longing for.

Quanne was just 12 years old when she disappeared on July 27, 1998, on her way to Strathfield Girls High during a short walk to the train station she did each day. Except that day she didn’t make it to the train.

Since then, Ann and Sam Diec have spent thousands of dollars carrying out their own search for their little girl, and they never moved out of the family home in Granville for fear she wouldn’t know where they’d gone if they did return.

Like many parents devastated by the loss of their children, they wanted the truth. This week Vinzent Tarantino, 49, walked into Surry Hills police station and spoke to detectives about Quanne’s case. He was later charged with her murder.

On Wednesday, Mr Tarantino led detectives into heavy bushland as police confirmed they were searching for Quanne’s remains. So far, she hasn’t been found leaving her family achingly close to getting the closure they have been waiting almost two decades for.

Tragically, they are by no means the only Australian family wanting this kind of closure. There are similar cases of young people vanishing from their ordinary lives from across Australia. Each year 35,000 people go missing in Australia, as many as three-quarters of them under 18. Most are found. But some are not.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back