Welcome to The Murder Accountability Project!

I am overwhelmed with excitement about The Murder Accountability Project! Thank you for sharing this amazing wealth of information.

Hello everybody I'm new to this so if somebody could help me out I'd appreciate it I'm a cj major at ITT tech in Nashville Tennessee

So, did anyone else notice that the Season ending episode of "Killing Season", during the discussion over the Cleveland cluster they talked about a few missing girls and showed their pictures? My wife and I both recognized Jasmine Trotter and Christine Malone from 2 seperate episodes of, "First 48". The episode of Jasmine Trotter has no talk of a seriel killer, although the Christine Malone episode does suggest. Just throwing that out there for those who are following along

Hi, has anyone ever thought about why so many college aged men are going missing from bars and ending up in bodies of water? I know getting rid of bodies in water is a common disposal method to get rid of evidence. I think there could be something more going on throughout the US and Canada. I have my own spreadsheet with 260 names of young men from the ages 18-26 who went missing from bars or parties and were found in water. Some were last seen talking to cab drivers, some were with unknown women, some were removed by bouncers. Here is the most recent one: http://www.wbaltv.com/article/missing-baltimore-mans-body-found-in-harbor/8395539. Anyone have any ideas? I have seen this method of disposing people with a drug debt and a way to rob people (to get a girl to talk to the guy in the bar and lure him out). I want to know if there is something more connected. I know very few of the cases were considered murders because no evidence of a shooting or stabbing occurred.

Hi Y'all, I have been watching "The Killing Season" and that's how I found this site. I'm a very bored stay at home wife and mother, so I'm glad I found this. I've loved true crime or anything with a "who done it" book or tv show or movie as far back as I can remember.
I've recently found out that I had an aunt that was murdered back in the 1970's. I know her name and I think we know the city and state, so how could I go about finding more information on this? I was also told it was still unsolved.
Thanks for your help!

its funny you bring that up, Lacrosse Wisconsin has a long list of college aged boys that leave the bars downtown and end up in the Mississippi River which is in the opposite direction of the schools. The talk was of a serial killer but the police want nothing to do with that and blame it on alcohol.

Hello Websleuthers!

There are many uses for the "Search Cases" function at www.murderdata.org. One of them is that serial killers, if they are prolific enough, become visually obvious.

If you want to see the work of Green River Killer Gary Ridgway, simply select "Seattle" under metro area, "strangulation" or "unknown or other" under weapon, and "female" under victim's sex. Normally, most of the bar graphs will be grey. But when there are too many unsolved cases in a cluster, most of the area of the bar graphs turn red. Generally, America solves about two-thirds of it's murders.

We've created an online display of more than 700,000 homicide cases going back to 1976 in an attempt to "crowd source" murder. Often, you'll see a "sea of red" when you've selected search criteria that indicate the work of prolific serial killers.

Please let me know if you find any.

Thomas Hargrove
Chairman and Founder, Murder Accountability Project

This site is phenomenal!!

Dear Mr. Hargrove,

I am one of the many who found (and joined) this site after learning about it while watching The Killing Season. (As an aside, which REALLY shouldn't be relegated to an aside, what Tricia has done here is AMAZING!!! ULTIMATE KUDOS!!!)

I saw what you had done with the Murder Accountability Project, and I think it's an amazing tool. As an attorney (now "retired" due to disability) with a background in criminal psychology and childhood development, I think what you are doing here is wonderful. Especially since the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit is now stretched thin (and taken away from these kind of cases), it gives those of us who don't normally have access to this information—but have the ability to digest, interpret, process, and hopefully come up with helpful conclusions/solutions—access to it.

That said, two things you said really stuck with me (I haven't watched the final two episodes—I'm saving them for a bit of "binge watching"—but you said this on an earlier episode): this is (1) entirely voluntary for law enforcement participation, and (2) often law enforcement is understaffed/overbudget and doesn't have the time to enter old cases into the database. So, my big question for you...

Do you think there is a way for us to form community volunteer groups where we could go in and do data entry for local law enforcement on old cold cases? I know that those participating would need to be properly vetted before LE might be willing to open up their files, which might be a time/financial burden and therefore be a non-starter. However, I can't help but think there has to be a way that some of us who are interested, willing, and very upstanding citizens, working as volunteers, could help to get a lot of old files entered across the country if we can get LE on board. I'm an attorney by trade, but not in criminal law. But given my specialty area, one subset would lead me to believe there has to be a way to get grants or other funding to do the background checks necessary to allow willing volunteers vetted to the satisfaction of local LE and get some of these old cases entered into the database.

As you said (and I'm paraphrasing here): the lack of data is holding things back, as well as the lack of entering cold cases. (Yes, I took great liberties in my paraphrasing! My sincerest apologies!!!)

I'm just thinking that if we can get over the hurdle of data entry by using properly vetted volunteers, I would think that it would significantly help the database at a minimum, and perhaps help solve some of these cases at the best.

Anyway, thanks for reading this and "hearing" me out. And thank you for what you've done in building this database—being a math/Excel/database "nerd", I can't thank you enough! (If you ever need any help, feel free to contact me!)

And Trish, you are AMAZING!!! Keep up the wonderful work you do every day, just by keeping this site up! You do so much good in this world, just by being you with the mission you have found for yourself in life!!!!

Thanks to all!!!

Dear Mr. Hargrove,

I am one of the many who found (and joined) this site after learning about it while watching The Killing Season. (As an aside, which REALLY shouldn't be relegated to an aside, what Tricia has done here is AMAZING!!! ULTIMATE KUDOS!!!)

I saw what you had done with the Murder Accountability Project, and I think it's an amazing tool. As an attorney (now "retired" due to disability) with a background in criminal psychology and childhood development, I think what you are doing here is wonderful. Especially since the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit is now stretched thin (and taken away from these kind of cases), it gives those of us who don't normally have access to this information—but have the ability to digest, interpret, process, and hopefully come up with helpful conclusions/solutions—access to it.

That said, two things you said really stuck with me (I haven't watched the final two episodes—I'm saving them for a bit of "binge watching"—but you said this on an earlier episode): this is (1) entirely voluntary for law enforcement participation, and (2) often law enforcement is understaffed/overbudget and doesn't have the time to enter old cases into the database. So, my big question for you...

Do you think there is a way for us to form community volunteer groups where we could go in and do data entry for local law enforcement on old cold cases? I know that those participating would need to be properly vetted before LE might be willing to open up their files, which might be a time/financial burden and therefore be a non-starter. However, I can't help but think there has to be a way that some of us who are interested, willing, and very upstanding citizens, working as volunteers, could help to get a lot of old files entered across the country if we can get LE on board. I'm an attorney by trade, but not in criminal law. But given my specialty area, one subset would lead me to believe there has to be a way to get grants or other funding to do the background checks necessary to allow willing volunteers vetted to the satisfaction of local LE and get some of these old cases entered into the database.

As you said (and I'm paraphrasing here): the lack of data is holding things back, as well as the lack of entering cold cases. (Yes, I took great liberties in my paraphrasing! My sincerest apologies!!!)

I'm just thinking that if we can get over the hurdle of data entry by using properly vetted volunteers, I would think that it would significantly help the database at a minimum, and perhaps help solve some of these cases at the best.

Anyway, thanks for reading this and "hearing" me out. And thank you for what you've done in building this database—being a math/Excel/database "nerd", I can't thank you enough! (If you ever need any help, feel free to contact me!)

And Trish, you are AMAZING!!! Keep up the wonderful work you do every day, just by keeping this site up! You do so much good in this world, just by being you with the mission you have found for yourself in life!!!!

Thanks to all!!!
BBM

Hello, Dr. K -

After seeing Mr. Hargrove's work on TKS, the same thing crossed my mind. I dismissed it thinking others would automatically reject it. I'm a recently retired ER RN in a small community with a good relationship with LE. I can imagine the logistics might be difficult, but with some online networking we might be able to collectively develop a universal plan/proposal.

In my community, I doubt this would involve a lot of cases, so maybe not terribly time-consuming. Of course, I could be wrong. In cities with law schools or universities with law enforcement degrees, maybe there would be an avenue for involving professors &/or students.

At any rate, I like your thinking.

Hello, I had been to this site in the past briefly, looking for a great-uncle who disappeared, (from mental institution) but I really never had the time to devote to any real research. I have since begun taking criminal justice classes and investigations is what I really love to do. What we have ran into is that authorities just don't want to investigate (our case) due to the amount of time that has passed. So a big thank you to Thomas Hargrove for the tool!
Sincerely,
Cindy

Dear Mr. Hargrove,

Thanks to all!!!
Great post! Amazing idea too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes~
There are way too many cases that are just never looked into or at. For every single one there is someone wondering where their loved one is.
Look at the Sherry Leighty case here on WS. The case sat motionless for over a decade and her sister had had enough and started to dig and ask questions and low and behold the case was solved within months of her digging around. Everyone has someone who wants to know where they are or what happened to them. Murderers are getting a free pass all over and for every free pass they will kill again , maybe several times.

I love your post, Dr. K.
I told my husband the other day that I want to buy a silver bullet trailer, pack him into it, and travel the country compiling this info.

i'm here Puggle ....you are not the only lonely Australian ........although I get too scared to post, I am there reading and liking xxxxxx

Don't be afraid! We don't bite (hard, anyway):)

It's nice to see members becoming acquainted with the algorithm. I had the opportunity to use it for quite awhile before it was posted here. The findings are quite interesting in some cases, if you apply critical analysis to the results. The next step is to research news archives, police blotters, if available, and even sites like WS to see if you can ID the victims and find patterns among their murders. Or better yet, common acquaintances or places frquented.

Yes~
There are way too many cases that are just never looked into or at. For every single one there is someone wondering where their loved one is.
Look at the Sherry Leighty case here on WS. The case sat motionless for over a decade and her sister had had enough and started to dig and ask questions and low and behold the case was solved within months of her digging around. Everyone has someone who wants to know where they are or what happened to them. Murderers are getting a free pass all over and for every free pass they will kill again , maybe several times.
Absolutely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Christopher:

If you go to www.murderdata.org and select the "How to Use" tab, there are pretty complete instructions on how to use our data portals to the Uniform Crime Report ("Clearance Rates" tab) and Supplementary Homicide Report ("Search Cases" tab).

First, see if you can find the record of your aunt, if she was murdered in 1976 or later. (We can't post FBI data earlier than this because the formats to the SHR changed so much in 1976.) Use the "How to Use" tab learn how to find a specific case. (We use the murder of JonBenet Ramsey as an example.)

Unfortunately, the FBI never required that victims' names be captured in the Supplementary Homicide Report. The original intent of this database was to provide researchers with information about the nature of homicide in the United States. It was never intended to act as a homicide archive, which is how we are using it. We've made it searchable down to individual cases, something the Justice Department never imagined. But there are limitations, as you can see. The lack of identities is one of the biggest.

Dear Dr. K:

Thanks so much for thinking about volunteering. The problem is that few police departments would consider using volunteers to file case information to the FBI. The process of reporting to ViCAP is not easy, and summarizing case details is even more difficult. ViCAP reporting really needs to be done by the case detective, and very few feel the ViCAP Violent Crimes Database to be a useful. And the general lack of data guarantees it won't be useful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back