Highway Serial Killings Initiative

cook_bros_000.jpg

Brothers Anthony and Nathanial Cook were both long haul truck drivers who killed at least nine people in the 70's and early 80's in Toledo Ohio.

Investigators believe there may be more. They were known to travel Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Texas.

More here...

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cook-brothers.htm

I will put this one in the Dr No thread too because they were known to have killed people in Ohio.

cruz_jr_000.jpg

James Robert Cruz Jr. Long haul trucker known to have killed 1 but thought to have killed more.

" Investigators were unable to obtain any SOLID evidence linking Cruz to any of the murders, although, there is no doubt in any of their minds that Cruz was in fact the killer. After Cruz's arrest, the string of prostitute murders along the highways of Northeastern Ohio stopped just as abruptly as they had begun."

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cruz-james-robert.htm

Since he was investigated for the Ohio murders I will post this on the Dr. No thread also.

Here's another creep to add to the list. He's not suspected of murder yet.

Utah truck driver accused of keeping sex slaves
Published March 13, 2014Associated Press

A Utah truck driver kept sex slaves in his semitrailer for months at a time while he traveled the country, filing down their teeth, forcing them to alter their appearance and beating them until they nearly passed out, authorities said.
Timothy Jay Vafeades, 54, made an initial appearance Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Fargo, N.D., and will now be transferred to Utah for further proceedings...

An arrest warrant filed Tuesday in Salt Lake City claims Vafeades kidnapped a 19-year-old female relative who had come from Florida in May 2013 to work with him on his truck, the “Twilight Express.”
Vafeades met with the 19-year-old in Salt Lake City in May 2013 when she came from Florida to work with him. He allegedly sexually assaulted her as she slept on the first night she was with him, according to court documents. They left Utah the next day in Vafeades' truck, the "Twilight Express." When the girl tried to leave a week later, Vafeades began a pattern of abuse and intimidation, including beating or strangling his victim until she passed out and taking her driver's license, social security card and SIM card for her phone, charges state.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-accused-of-keeping-girl-hostage-for-sex.html

The girl was a relative who he'd hurt before. A lifetime protection was issued against him in 1999, presumably by the girl's parents. She must've needed money very badly, and he promised her she'd be safe with him. After he was arrested, a second woman went to the police with her story.

The woman told detectives she met the driver at a Salt Lake City truck stop in April 2012. She agreed to have dinner with him and got into his truck, according to the report, but Vafeades told her about 10 minutes into the ride that she was going with him for a week or more.The woman said Vafeades kept her with him for about three months through threats and violence, forcing her to have sex with him nearly every day and calling her his slave, authorities said. She said he had her hair cut and colored to disguise her identity and forced her to marry him.
http://www.wptv.com/news/national/timothy-jay-vafeades-utah-trucker-accused-of-keeping-sex-slaves

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/03/17/5051692/vampire-trucker-who-kept-sex-slaves.html

Attachments

• FS3qZ9i.jpg
    FS3qZ9i.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 102
I came across this on the LISK thread.

"The FBI's National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime launched in 2004 an initiative dubbed "The Highway Serial Killings," to identify and investigate murders committed along truck routes. The victims in those killings, said Special Agent Ann Todd, "are primarily women who live high-risk, transient lifestyles, often involving drug/alcohol abuse and prostitution."

Since the project was launched, FBI crime analysts have compiled information on 580 victims and 275 suspects in sexual assaults, kidnappings and homicides near highways, rest and truck stops, gas stations and restaurants off travel routes. Those victims included 19 from New York State."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...rated-with-missing-prostitute-cases-1.2682508

Here's another creep to add to the list. He's not suspected of murder yet.

Utah truck driver accused of keeping sex slaves
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-accused-of-keeping-girl-hostage-for-sex.html

The girl was a relative who he'd hurt before. A lifetime protection was issued against him in 1999, presumably by the girl's parents. She must've needed money very badly, and he promised her she'd be safe with him. After he was arrested, a second woman went to the police with her story.

http://www.wptv.com/news/national/timothy-jay-vafeades-utah-trucker-accused-of-keeping-sex-slaves

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/03/17/5051692/vampire-trucker-who-kept-sex-slaves.html

Bessie, my sister was engaged to this creep, back in the late 80's early 90's. She gets updated from the FBI on his status and how the case is shaping up or not.

Bessie, my sister was engaged to this creep, back in the late 80's early 90's. She gets updated from the FBI on his status and how the case is shaping up or not.

What kinds of things did she say about his personality and treatment of her?

Here's a recent update: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/w...-slaves-and-grinded-their-teeth-with-a-dremel'

On Thursday, Vafeades, 56, agreed to a plea deal just days before his trial was to begin.
He pleaded guilty to the illegal sexual activity charges. The kidnapping charges were dropped in exchange.

The deal means Vafeades — referred to by local media as the “vampire” truck driver because of the fangs on false teeth he once wore — could face more than 20 years in prison.
In May, he also pleaded guilty to transportation of child *advertiser censored*, which carries a five-year sentence.
Another news article about the "Vampire Trucker"
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13720...-as-sex-slaves-and-grinding-down-their-teeth/

I came across this on the LISK thread.

"The FBI's National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime launched in 2004 an initiative dubbed "The Highway Serial Killings," to identify and investigate murders committed along truck routes. The victims in those killings, said Special Agent Ann Todd, "are primarily women who live high-risk, transient lifestyles, often involving drug/alcohol abuse and prostitution."

Since the project was launched, FBI crime analysts have compiled information on 580 victims and 275 suspects in sexual assaults, kidnappings and homicides near highways, rest and truck stops, gas stations and restaurants off travel routes. Those victims included 19 from New York State."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...rated-with-missing-prostitute-cases-1.2682508
I'm unable to read this Newsday link, of the 19 in NY~ Curious if Tammy Jo Alexander is mentioned?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm unable to read this Newsday link, of the 19 in NY~ Curious if Tammy Jo Alexander is mentioned?

I cannot read the full article either. I too would like to know of Tammy was mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

USA TODAY
10/5/10

During the past four decades, at least 459 people may have died at the hands of highway serial killers, FBI statistics show. Investigators do not know how many people may be responsible for the killings but at least one such case — of murder, attempted murder or unidentified human remains — has been reported in 48 states, along roads as far north as Alaska and as far south as Key West. They believe the killers find their victims and dispose of the bodies along highways, sometimes near quiet roadside rest areas or at bustling truck stops.

Often, the victims are prostitutes, abducted in one state and dumped in another. And the killers? Authorities say they have 200 suspects; almost all are long-haul truck drivers. To date, the FBI says it has helped local authorities arrest at least 10 suspects believed to be involved in more than 30 of the killings.

Harrigan and other law enforcement authorities believe serial killers still operate along some of the most well-traveled roads in the nation.
"They're out there," he says.

Harrigan says a typical motorist isn't in danger. At least 234 victims were prostitutes, he says, and stranded motorists represent "a very, very small" number of the homicide cases. But Harrigan will not say how many, and he acknowledges that investigators know "nothing" about 130 of the victims. Among the mysteries are more than 80 cases — including the February case in Barstow — in which authorities couldn't identify the remains or recovered only body parts.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-05-1Ahighwaykiller05_CV_N.htm?csp=usat.me

That's a lot of Doe's.

We have another thread on this subject somewhere from last year when the report was released. I'll look for it and see if we can merge the two. At the time we talked about the high number of unsolved highway killings along the I-40 corridor, particularly Tennessee, Texas, and Oklahoma.

I worked as a 911 Police Dispatcher in Pompano Beach, FL from 2003-2011. There is a large truck stop in this city. Once I received a call from a Sex Worker calling from the truck stop to report a truck driver attempted to strangle her to death. I dispatched a unit but he soon closed out the case a "Public Assistance" no report. I don't know if he even made contact with the caller.

I was shocked by this. After years of taking 911 calls you can start to tell who is telling the truth. I totally believed this woman. Now I wonder if the deputy had taken a report if the license plate and suspect's name would be in a data bank now.

The truck stops could prove to be a treasure trove of information if authorities did regular interviews with the people associated in this business.

This truck stop was notorious for being a hang out for prostitutes and drugs along with stolen merchandise. So I wonder if any valuable information could be acquired by interviewing Sex Workers at all of the major truck stops

I worked as a 911 Police Dispatcher in Pompano Beach, FL from 2003-2011. There is a large truck stop in this city. Once I received a call from a Sex Worker calling from the truck stop to report a truck driver attempted to strangle her to death. I dispatched a unit but he soon closed out the case a "Public Assistance" no report. I don't know if he even made contact with the caller.

I was shocked by this. After years of taking 911 calls you can start to tell who is telling the truth. I totally believed this woman. Now I wonder if the deputy had taken a report if the license plate and suspect's name would be in a data bank now.

The truck stops could prove to be a treasure trove of information if authorities did regular interviews with the people associated in this business.

This truck stop was notorious for being a hang out for prostitutes and drugs along with stolen merchandise. So I wonder if any valuable information could be acquired by interviewing Sex Workers at all of the major truck stops
Thank you for this post twinsie ...I feel your pain 😉... (not often thankfully) I'm a tad to invested, bossy & biotchty w my guys for the "3,2,1 and I"m clear crap lol.
I'd be all UMMMM, NO! Landline STAT!

* FYI--up until approx 2 weeks ago I was CLUELESS about the nefarious side of trucks stops. Deer outnumber us 5:3 in my neck of the woods.

#TruckStop? Like where I get 3 meals to go?

Thank you for this post twinsie ...I feel your pain 😉... (not often thankfully) I'm a tad to invested, bossy & biotchty w my guys for the "3,2,1 and I"m clear crap lol.
I'd be all UMMMM, NO! Landline STAT!

* FYI--up until approx 2 weeks ago I was CLUELESS about the nefarious side of trucks stops. Deer outnumber us 5:3 in my neck of the woods.

#TruckStop? Like where I get 3 meals to go?

PS.. I CAN spell, my phone is just being an a$$

I feel like I am so late to this website. The long haul theory specifically. I have always had an idea that the Robin Hill Murders were a product of this. How do I research similar killings of the same MO along the I 40 and 55. Has there been a work up already done or profile on a killer for the Robin Hill murders other than the Three. My thoughts are that the kids were over at the truck stop and witnessed something or walked into the creek while something was happening. The 55 goes north and south along the river and the river could also play a part as well.

I feel like I am so late to this website. The long haul theory specifically. I have always had an idea that the Robin Hill Murders were a product of this. How do I research similar killings of the same MO along the I 40 and 55. Has there been a work up already done or profile on a killer for the Robin Hill murders other than the Three. My thoughts are that the kids were over at the truck stop and witnessed something or walked into the creek while something was happening. The 55 goes north and south along the river and the river could also play a part as well.

Welcome to WS.
I've spent probably thousands of hours scouring every case I can and more or less just having to draw my own conclusion as to which cases I believe are the work of a truck driving serial killer. I wish we were more privy to the information contained on the map put together of over 500 cases the authorities believe to be the work of truck drivers. Until then it's really just sleuthing and trying to piece things together. It's very interesting and can lead you down many rabbit holes.of information and invigorate your sense of imagination trying to figure out the logistics of how the case happened from start to time of discovery.
I see you have found some of the other threads here that are used to discuss cases that are either known or suspected to be the work of truck drivers.
A great way to get started is to look up cases along the areas you are interested in researching. We have a section here for unidentified John and Jane does as well. You'll find in reading those threads a lot of those cases are of people found along interstates.

I seen on the news where a message was written on a pilot truckstop bathroom. In black ink it said t.s.k. find her body at mm 168 you guess the state and highway t.s.k

This was written on the wall in a men's restroom and according to the reporter someone found it and told the manager and also contacted the news agency. The news agency showed a highway patrol who says they are taking this serious and investigating but are hoping it is just a hoax.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back