Brendan Dassey: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's rape, torture, and murder?

Brendan Dassy: Guilty of Teresa Halbach rape, torture, and murder?

• He was an accomplice

Votes: 68 9.2%
  • He assisted in covering up the crime

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • He didn't help but may have seen something

Votes: 67 9.0%
  • Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced

Votes: 231 31.1%
  • Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

Votes: 270 36.3%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 112 15.1%
  • Undecided all around, more information needed

Votes: 37 5.0%

• Total voters
I firmly believe SA was being unofficially surveilled during that entire time period.

It doesn't make any sense that they weren't watching this guy like hawk hoping for a break before he won his lawsuit against MCSO.

KZ has alluded to the killer being someone TH knew, and made reffence to "poor choices" in men...

My thought is RH did it, tried to get away with it unaware of the surveillance going on. And had no option but to work closely with LE. in the cover up.

Would they let a guilty person walk to nail SA?

They did it before with GA. and the whole frame jobs suggests they have no problem with that.

As to where she killed, my thought is she was killed at or near the quarry, and an attempt was made to conceal her body, in the red out building on Radandt's property, even if only briefly...

(Dogs hit on that building...plus KZ tweet, "All roads lead to one door and it's not SA's!).

The burn site is possibly located in one of the nearby forests at Zander Road and Jambo Creek Road.

Paul Metz, on November 1st 2005 reported a "whoosh" sound and horrid smell in the air that bothered his cattle so much that they broke through fences trying to get away from it, (refer to page 289, 294 & 295 of Calumet Report.)

Paul Metz's property is located on West Zander Road on the South side, just West of Jambo Creek Road, which is very very close to 3302 W Zander Rd.

PM had reported the smell on Nov 1st 2005. Two days before TH was reported missing. He had reported his concerns to both the Wisconsin Public Service Corporation, and the nearby nuclear plant.

No investigation took place. It seems to me, someone would've smelled a body burning at some point! and this is the only account there is of a noxious oder, and the date and location of it's occurrence is beyond interesting! imo

As to where she killed, my thought is she was killed at or near the quarry, and an attempt was made to conceal her body, in the red out building on Radandt's property, even if only briefly...

(Dogs hit on that building...plus KZ tweet, "All roads lead to one door and it's not SA's!).

The burn site is possibly located in one of the nearby forests at Zander Road and Jambo Creek Road.

Paul Metz, on November 1st 2005 reported a "whoosh" sound and horrid smell in the air that bothered his cattle so much that they broke through fences trying to get away from it, (refer to page 289, 294 & 295 of Calumet Report.)

Paul Metz's property is located on West Zander Road on the South side, just West of Jambo Creek Road, which is very very close to 3302 W Zander Rd.

PM had reported the smell on Nov 1st 2005. Two days before TH was reported missing. He had reported his concerns to both the Wisconsin Public Service Corporation, and the nearby nuclear plant.

No investigation took place. It seems to me, someone would've smelled a body burning at some point! and this is the only account there is of a noxious oder, and the date and location of it's occurrence is beyond interesting! imo

Yes, it would seem that burning a corpse would attract some attention along the lines of the odor. From what I gather it is a unique and horribly memorable smell according to accounts from people who've been in war zones.

Not exactly the sort of thing that I would expect to go unnoticed at Steven's residence with lots of other folks coming and going at all hours.

:yourock::goodpost:

I firmly believe SA was being unofficially surveilled during that entire time period.

It doesn't make any sense that they weren't watching this guy like hawk hoping for a break before he won his lawsuit against MCSO.

KZ has alluded to the killer being someone TH knew, and made reffence to "poor choices" in men...

My thought is RH did it, tried to get away with it unaware of the surveillance going on. And had no option but to work closely with LE. in the cover up.

Would they let a guilty person walk to nail SA?

They did it before with GA. and the whole frame jobs suggests they have no problem with that.

I've always thought SA was being watched, his every move, by someone who had it in for him..( Great minds! )

I believe Dassy should have never been convicted, let alone arrested. It saddens me that confessions like this happen just too often. Between his mental capacity, his age, the lack of a parent or attorney in the room, and the way the confession was coerced was awful. Those with lower IQ's already have a disadvantage in that situation because they have a tendency to be people pleasers, and then on top of that they would be even more inclined in that situation to please because the ones taking the confession are those in positions of authority. It was said that the confession showed evidence of his guilt because he knew specific details from the crime that only the killer(s) would know, but as you can clearly hear in the confession they fed him the details and then asked inciting questions to pull those details back out. He should have never been convicted, I believe it shows such injustice. Recently though, they overturned his conviction, but then they stopped his release. It seems though he will be released in the end though, hopefully sooner than later.

I'm in the coerced confession and not guilty camp for Brendan. This pretty much sums it up for me;

Most people find it impossible to imagine why anyone would confess to a crime he didn’t commit, but, watching Dassey’s interrogation, it is easy to see how a team of motivated investigators could alternately badger, cajole, and threaten a vulnerable suspect into saying what they wanted to hear. When Dassey’s mother asked him how he came up with so many details if he was innocent, he said, “I guessed.” “You don’t guess with something like this, Brendan,” she replied. “Well,” he said, “that’s what I do with my homework, too."
Kathryn Schultz, Dead Certainty: How “Making a Murderer” goes wrong, The New Yorker (Jan. 25 2016).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've worked in LE for close to 15 years, been a detective for over 10. Have been trained on advanced interview and interrogation tactics through several different courses. I've done dozens and dozens of interviews and have gotten many, many confessions under my belt....I can tell you that was the WORST confession I've ever witnessed. I was literally jumping out of my seat when watching it. It was so wrong on so many levels, if not borderline illegal. The leading and manipulation of that boy, who was clearly mentally deficient, is shoddy police work and how the DA ever thought that "confession" was a solid basis for charges is way beyond me. Those detectives should be lowering their heads in shame...they are far from good, competent detectives.

I've worked in LE for close to 15 years, been a detective for over 10. Have been trained on advanced interview and interrogation tactics through several different courses. I've done dozens and dozens of interviews and have gotten many, many confessions under my belt....I can tell you that was the WORST confession I've ever witnessed. I was literally jumping out of my seat when watching it. It was so wrong on so many levels, if not borderline illegal. The leading and manipulation of that boy, who was clearly mentally deficient, is shoddy police work and how the DA ever thought that "confession" was a solid basis for charges is way beyond me. Those detectives should be lowering their heads in shame...they are far from good, competent detectives.
Thank you for your opinion on this. I agree 100%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks and great to have the perspective from someone that has been there, done that!

There is a reason his interrogation video's are used in training of officers in "what not to do", I just don't understand how that "confession" was okay in any court room.

FYI, the lead investigators that did those interviews, Wiegert and Fassbeneder, are no longer detectives AFAIK. They have moved on.

Thanks and great to have the perspective from someone that has been there, done that!

There is a reason his interrogation video's are used in training of officers in "what not to do", I just don't understand how that "confession" was okay in any court room.

FYI, the lead investigators that did those interviews, Wiegert and Fassbeneder, are no longer detectives AFAIK. They have moved on.
Thankfully!
IMO, they have no business working in law enforcement.

Thankfully!
IMO, they have no business working in law enforcement.

I wouldn't trust them to work as waiters to be completely honest. Waiting requires too much responsibility.

I wouldn't trust them to work as waiters to be completely honest. Waiting requires too much responsibility.
Well, Saul, now that I think about it, I agree with you😊

I'm just now watching this, and I am so disgusted at how they manipulated Dassey. One point I noticed was neither his mom or he knew what inconclusive meant.

I'm just now watching this, and I am so disgusted at how they manipulated Dassey. One point I noticed was neither his mom or he knew what inconclusive meant.
Quite sad, isn't it?

First watched the series last year sometime and had lengthy discussions with workmates back then about Brendans treatment and the general feeling was that he is completely innocent (a view which I still hold 100%)
Rewatched a couple of weeks ago and I physically hurt watching Brendans court case especially when he takes the stand and is being questioned...it hurts to watch. The injustice of it all makes me so angry and frustrated and is heartbreaking

I started watching Dream/Killer...it is a documentary about Ryan Ferguson. He was wrongly convicted and got released. About 6 minutes into it is a police interview with Ryan.

Paraphrase:
Cop: I'm only here because I have a son your age, I know you're hurting.
Ryan: I can't talk to anyone, not even my dad
Cop: I know, I can see your pain. Let me take his place for a moment, tell me what you would tell him. I'll tell you, when I'm looking at you, I'm looking at my own son.

Huh "Pretend I'm not a cop right now" must be a staple of shoddy police work, this case relies heavily on a false confession, Ryan's friend Chuck confesses to a killing and says it was Ryan's idea. So far, that seems to be the only thing they have, though admittedly I am not very far into it.

The Ryan interview is followed by an interview with Chuck, the guy who initially confesses.

Direct quoting here:

Cop:"How many times did you think you hit him altogether?"
Chuck: "Just once.'
Cop: Just once? Well the only problem I have with that is, I know he was hit more than once-
Chuck interrupts: Yeah
Cop continues on without stopping:-With the tool.
Chuck: Well I just hit him once

Paraphrasing again
Cop: I have been holding back on what he was strangled with. Do you want to tell me what that was?
Chuck: I think it was a shirt
Cop: It was not a shirt.
Chuck: I think it was a bungee cord. Or something from his car. I don't know why he would have rope in his car
Cop: We know for a fact that he was strangled with his own belt

Here is a wrongful conviction overturned where the police were supplying information during a confession, and helping to shape and change the confession. Does any of this sound familiar?

IMDB page for this documentary:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4504438/

I started watching Dream/Killer...it is a documentary about Ryan Ferguson. He was wrongly convicted and got released. About 6 minutes into it is a police interview with Ryan.

Paraphrase:
Cop: I'm only here because I have a son your age, I know you're hurting.
Ryan: I can't talk to anyone, not even my dad
Cop: I know, I can see your pain. Let me take his place for a moment, tell me what you would tell him. I'll tell you, when I'm looking at you, I'm looking at my own son.

Huh "Pretend I'm not a cop right now" must be a staple of shoddy police work, this case relies heavily on a false confession, Ryan's friend Chuck confesses to a killing and says it was Ryan's idea. So far, that seems to be the only thing they have, though admittedly I am not very far into it.

The Ryan interview is followed by an interview with Chuck, the guy who initially confesses.

Direct quoting here:

Paraphrasing again
Cop: I have been holding back on what he was strangled with. Do you want to tell me what that was?
Chuck: I think it was a shirt
Cop: It was not a shirt.
Chuck: I think it was a bungee cord. Or something from his car. I don't know why he would have rope in his car
Cop: We know for a fact that he was strangled with his own belt

Here is a wrongful conviction overturned where the police were supplying information during a confession, and helping to shape and change the confession. Does any of this sound familiar?

IMDB page for this documentary:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4504438/

Very Familiar:mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member