GUILTY CA - Alycia Mesiti, 14, Ceres, 14 Aug 2006

^^^ oh the poor man's hands ... :facepalm: he deserves what he has coming to him ...

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article126267944.html

Mark Edward Mesiti, who is accused of sexually abusing and killing his teenage daughter, told a judge Thursday that conditions at the Stanislaus County Jail have interfered with his preparations for trial.

Mesiti, 49, has been in the jail since June 2011 and chose to act as his own attorney in October 2015. Jail officials keep Mesiti shackled anytime he’s outside his cell as a security precaution. Mesiti said Thursday that the shackling has made his preparations take four to five times longer.

“I don’t want any more privileges than a lawyer, but I would like the same considerations,” Mesiti said.

Stanislaus Superior Court Judge Dawna Reeves said she will review the information submitted. The defendant will return to court Jan. 19, when the judge could issue a ruling.

For now, the judge ordered both sides to continue preparing as if the trial will begin Feb. 6 as scheduled.

Reeves also asked jail officials in the courtroom to work with county counsel and the prosecutor on providing a desk for Mesiti to use at the jail during trial, which will be helpful to the process after long days in court. She said she doesn’t want to issue an order to sheriff’s officials, but she might have to if she wants to get this trial started and keep it moving toward a conclusion.

Judge postpones capital murder trial for father accused of killing teenage daughter

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article127592339.html

A Stanislaus County judge on Thursday granted a defendant’s request to postpone his capital murder trial for two months because he wasn’t given sufficient access to a writing surface to properly prepare his defense while in jail.

Superior Court Judge Dawna Reeves on Thursday rescheduled Mesiti’s trial to begin April 10. None of the single-inmate cells that Mesiti has occupied since May 2016 had a firm writing surface.

“The only horizontal surface available for writing is the bedframe and concrete floor,” the judge wrote in her ruling. “No other opportunity to write on a firm surface while unshackled appears to have been afforded.”

Reeves wrote that the defendant’s preparations could be delayed without a writing surface, so she postponed the trial. But she determined the defendant’s claims that other poor jail conditions stalled his preparations were not supported by the evidence.

“In fact, many of the claimed conditions were either greatly exaggerated or false,” Reeves wrote.

Capital murder trial postponed for father accused of killing teenage daughter

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article144225714.html

Superior Court Judge Dawna Reeves has postponed the trial before. In January, Reeves postponed Mesiti’s trial because the defendant, who has chosen to act as his own attorney, wasn’t given sufficient access to a writing surface to properly prepare his defense while in jail.

On Tuesday afternoon, the judge was forced to delay the trial again because a prosecution investigator discovered photos collected as evidence that had not been provided to the defense. The prosecution handed over those photos to the defense last month.

Reeves wanted to give the defense time to review those photos and conduct any needed further investigation, so she decided to reschedule the April 10 trial. Now, the trial is scheduled to begin July 10 with jury selection.

I almost wish they would take the DP off the table and stop treating this perv w kid gloves. its CA, he wont see a needle anytime soon if ever anyways.

I'm hung up on one thing about this case that is troubling me. A guy that was convicted of molesting the deceased child was released from jail three days before she went missing.
When I was researching that angle, I learned he has since passed away.
This is something that seems worthy of further exploration. One would think DNA would either raise more questions or exclude him?

oh no, she was molested by others too? :(

I'm hung up on one thing about this case that is troubling me. A guy that was convicted of molesting the deceased child was released from jail three days before she went missing.
When I was researching that angle, I learned he has since passed away.
This is something that seems worthy of further exploration. One would think DNA would either raise more questions or exclude him?

[bbm]

Alycia didn't stand a chance. He was abusing her and pimping her out and likely forcing her to do drugs. I fear she became his victim at a young age. I hope prison is horrible to him. I hope some form of prison justice catches up with him.

... a 2005 case that convicted his acquaintance, Gregory Joseph Ulrich, of sexually molesting Alycia. Ulrich went to jail after pleading no contest but has since died from cancer.

The girl reportedly did not get along with her mother, Roberta Allen, who has a history of mental depression and attempted suicide. Court officials expressed concerns about Alycia's handling and turned her over to her father in November 2005 despite his criminal record.

The girls were not identified but their ages were listed as eight years of age and the other who was both 16 and 17 during the alleged abuse. The seven felony charges involving his alleged actions against the girls -- between July 2006 and July 2008 -- include unlawful sexual intercourse, committing lewd acts on a child, and furnishing illegal narcotics to a minor.

http://www.cerescourier.com/section/11/article/3830/

his sloppy looking *advertiser censored* ugh.

she never went to school cuz he kept her home to abuse.

[bbm]

Alycia didn't stand a chance. He was abusing her and pimping her out and likely forcing her to do drugs. I fear she became his victim at a young age. I hope prison is horrible to him. I hope some form of prison justice catches up with him.

... a 2005 case that convicted his acquaintance, Gregory Joseph Ulrich, of sexually molesting Alycia. Ulrich went to jail after pleading no contest but has since died from cancer.

The girl reportedly did not get along with her mother, Roberta Allen, who has a history of mental depression and attempted suicide. Court officials expressed concerns about Alycia's handling and turned her over to her father in November 2005 despite his criminal record.

The girls were not identified but their ages were listed as eight years of age and the other who was both 16 and 17 during the alleged abuse. The seven felony charges involving his alleged actions against the girls -- between July 2006 and July 2008 -- include unlawful sexual intercourse, committing lewd acts on a child, and furnishing illegal narcotics to a minor.

http://www.cerescourier.com/section/11/article/3830/

This is such a sad case, with so many warning signs. Maybe I'm getting jaded by all the cases I follow, but it just seems in this fragmented society we now live in, no one is "watching" or sticks their neck out to intervene. There are some exceptions, but they seem to be exceptions. Maybe I don't know all the efforts made to help this child, but from the armchair perspective it seems she didn't have a chance.

All this being said, I would like to see DNA analysis of the deceased child and G.U. (the deceased/convict who molested her and was released THREE days prior to her disappearance) to definitively exclude him from having killed this child. The fact the guy was convicted of molesting her and released three days prior to her disapearance simply can't be ignored. And what idiot would murder their child and bury them in their yard? Doesn't add up for me although the father seems like a monster as well. But maybe a monster that didn't kill his own daughter. Not adding up for me.

:banghead:

Accused of killing daughter, he said he’d represent himself; now he wants attorney

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article162222403.html

The trial was scheduled to start last week in Stanislaus Superior Court. Mesiti, 49, chose to act as his own attorney in October 2015. The defendant was expected to question witnesses, present his arguments in court and participate in jury selection.

Mesiti changed his mind last week, asking the court for an attorney to represent him in the trial. Modesto defense attorney Martin Baker has been Mesiti’s advisory counsel in the murder case. The court has now appointed Baker as Mesiti’s defense attorney in the trial.

Jury selection for the trial is now expected to start at some point next month. Mesiti is scheduled to return to court Aug. 14.

Jury in Place, Mesiti Murder Trial to Begin

http://www.cerescourier.com/section/11/article/9302/

The Stanislaus County District Attorney's office is seeking the death penalty in the murder of Alycia Augusta Mesiti. Prosecutors say Mesiti raped and sexually molested Alycia during 2005 and 2006, and killed her in August 2006. Ceres Police found her body in the backyard of 3576 Alexis Avenue in Ceres where she was living at the time of her murder.

Mesiti has been behind bars in Stanislaus County since March 28, 2009 and yet to stand trial - partly because of the delays he has caused in representing himself.

11 years after daughter disappears, dad admits to drugging, abusing and killing her

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article179317046.html

After just a few days of testimony in his murder trial, Mark Edward Mesiti on Tuesday pleaded guilty to all charges involved in the drugging, sexual abuse and killing of his teenage daughter, Alycia Mesiti.

On Monday, the defense informed the prosecution that the defendant was willing to plea guilty to all the charges. In exchange, the Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office agreed to a sentence of life in prison without the chance of parole.

Judge Reeves recited in court each of the charges listed on Mesiti’s criminal indictment, along with every enhancement added to the charges. Each time the judge recited a criminal charge, Reeves asked the defendant for his plea. Mesiti pleaded guilty 49 times; the process took about 45 minutes.

Alycia’s maternal great-aunt, Roberta Fitzpatrick, attended every hearing in the murder case; she only missed three court dates. On Tuesday, she felt a sense of overwhelming relief after the case ended.

“It’s over. It’s been almost 12 years since she disappeared,” Fitzpatrick said after the defendant pleaded guilty. “I just want to put it all behind me, except for honoring Alycia.”

The judge scheduled Mesiti to return to court Nov. 28, when he will be formally sentenced. At that hearing, Alycia’s family and friends will have a chance to speak in court about the impact of her murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back