Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

Looks like this is a criminal situation rather than accident.

"The white 1998 Isuzu Rodeo that belonged to Matus was found Sunday in a remote sugar cane field about 10 or so miles from the bar, according to DeVoursney’s brother, David. The family had been expecting Drew DeVoursney to fly home to Atlanta later this week.

Authorities do not believe they made it home after leaving the bar on Tuesday, Devoursney said. T"

http://www.myajc.com/news/atlanta-f...lative-missing-belize/kQgS1KewPCqZr2GCOyvJhK/

This is NOT good news. :notgood:

Oh no....I really expected they were involved in an accident. Not good at all.....

I'm surprised that no other news outlet has reported the discovery of the vehicle - only the Atlanta Journal, quoting a brother as the source. I think the brother is still in Atlanta, so I'm wondering whether the report is accurate.

Yes, that piece of information was not in any other mainstream media source that I could find.

If someone came after these two, they would have had to face a 6'6" former Marine with combat experience. Although the Atlanta article also claims DeVoursney was disabled, it did not mention in what way.

Another article I found (sorry no link) mentioned that he was in Belize in "dive school".

This is a strange situation. It could be that someone close to one or both of them wanted to harm them, and used the lawlessness in the country as a camouflage for the crime.

I'm surprised that no other news outlet has reported the discovery of the vehicle - only the Atlanta Journal, quoting a brother as the source. I think the brother is still in Atlanta, so I'm wondering whether the report is accurate.

The brother posted about her car being found "Her vehicle has just been found north of Corozal in a cane field" as Update #3 on the page.
He also mentioned "No signs of Drew and Francesca."

My first thought when I read they were not answering their cellphones was that the car was in water. This certainly looks like a criminal situation, like you said Otto.
:(

This is what I was wondering, especially since the information was provided to a local news outlet by the brother. Police may have wanted to keep the information quiet as it would give them an advantage over the person(s) who are responsible.

“We’re aware of that, but the information wasn’t really supposed to be publicized,” said Rifenbark, whose mother, Nancy Rifenbark, was with the couple at Scotty’s Bar the night they went missing."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...s-for-canadian-american-couple-in-belize.html

Her car has been found but nothing new about their location

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.3391615

The car wasn't that far from the restaurant.

"The mysterious disappearance of a Toronto woman who vanished with her American boyfriend in Belize last week deepened on Sunday when her car was found abandoned in a cane field near the village of Paraiso, in the northern district of Corozal."

I wonder how easy it is to cross the border between Belize and Mexico, whether records are kept of people who cross.

On a map, it doesn't look that far, but the reports have been that the vehicle was found 10 miles away, and 15 miles away. Obviously, whoever did this to them (I'm making an assumption here - that they were abducted) did not do it for the vehicle. I wonder if police didn't want information about the vehicle released with the hope that they are still alive. Once the vehicle is found, police can collect evidence that may lead to suspects ... so it's more dangerous to keep the victims alive.

Have we heard exactly where the car was found? (e.g. closest town)?
If the vehicle was found in a very remote area, more than one person was likely involved.
If they were asking for a ransom, then we wouldn't be hearing from the families, I presume.

Travel Warning from the State Department for Belize:

CRIME: Crime may occur anywhere in Belize, and criminals frequently target tourists, including those at resorts and on the roads and riverways. Crime, including sexual assault, armed robbery, and murder, remains high and has spread to areas that were previously unaffected by crime. Sexual harassment and/or assault of persons traveling alone or in small groups have been reported.

The majority of crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted. A lack of capacity, resources, and training impedes the ability of local police to effectively investigate crime and apprehend serious offenders.

DeVoursney’s brother and best friend are now flying down to join the search for the couple.

His best friend said he’s filed a report with the FBI and is also in contact with a private investigation firm in Florida.

A group of around 70 people had searched the area around the bar and Matus’s house for three days with no luck.

“There’s (paved roads) but then there’s bush and jungle, so it’s not an easy search.”

The couple’s friends have paid for a plane to do an aerial sweep and are now trying to secure helicopters to do the same, adding they are also handing out missing person flyers.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...s-for-canadian-american-couple-in-belize.html

Have we heard exactly where the car was found? (e.g. closest town)?
If the vehicle was found in a very remote area, more than one person was likely involved.
If they were asking for a ransom, then we wouldn't be hearing from the families, I presume.

It was in a sugar cane field ... see post #50.

missing-couple.jpg

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2017/04/30/vehicle-belonging-missing-canadian-american-couple/

Not sure about the accuracy, but red arrow is restaurant, yellow circle is car area. The car area does not look like a 10-15 mile distance from the restaurant.

belize2.jpg

rbbm
http://globalnews.ca/news/3416540/francesca-matus-drew-de-voursney-search-belize/

Joe Milholen, a friend of Matus’ who first reported her disappearance, told Global News that the vehicle was found by a local hunter. But he said the discovery didn’t offer up as many clues as had been hoped.

“There’s very little evidence, almost nothing to even give us a clue as to what might have happened … even the registration was gone and the keys were gone, so nothing really to tell us anything,” Milholen said on the phone from Corozal.

“The only thing it means is that we’ve switched our focus from the car now — as we have it — to trying to figure out where they went from there.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back