NY NY - Kathleen Durst, 29, South Salem, 31 Jan 1982 *Robert Durst died 2022*

"Defendant misstates the facts and requests time to conduct additional investigation to locate evidence that, even if discovered, would have no legal bearings on the merits of his claim," stated one of the two motions filed Monday by prosecutors.

The issues were originally set for hearing in February, when both sides agreed to a delay until April 25. Prosecutors now want that hearing to proceed as planned.
<snip> https://patch.com/california/beverlyhills/new-motions-filed-against-robert-durst-murder-trial

This is my first time being on this site, but was simply looking for a forum in which to share ideas and thoughts. I have looked over the rules of the site and hope I am abiding by them.
I can't say I have been a person that has followed the Robert Durst case closely, and up until recently didn't pay much attention to his past or present trials.
After watching the six part mini series, the Jinx, I was captivated by the details and have watched many other clips pertaining to the individual cases.
I do not have a degree or any education in Psychology, though I have had plenty of personal experience with therapy.
I was somewhat perplexed at the, seemingly, strong attention to detail when watching the Jinx, but found it interesting that there were a couple of things never brought up.
On occasion, when interviewed, it seems Robert Durst would talk about himself in the third person. Now, I understand this is not a completely abnormal thing, as I suppose some people do this. However, the subject i wanted to touch on was the effect his mother's apparent suicide played in his life and with his mental faculties.
I am not at all making any claims or suggestions to be honest, but rather throwing an alternative way of looking at something out there to be pondered.
I know it has been stated by some who know him that he does mutter to himself quite often. I think we all do that, but I know when I perhaps talk to myself, I'm not talking as though I'm saying it to myself but perhaps as I'm saying it to someone else. With that, perhaps when talking to himself, he could possibly be talking to someone else, alive or deceased. I am posting some dialogue from the actual Jinx mini series here to be discussed.

An example of Robert Durst talking in the 3rd person (I believe from episode 2)

&#8220;And, the LA police have been investigating for awhile now, and they&#8217;re unable to put HIM in Los Angeles.&#8221;

The discussion regarding Robert Durst's mom's suicide, also from episode 2

Bob &#8220;My father came and got me and he said, I&#8217;d like&#8230;, come on over here&#8230;, want you to , you know, to see mommy. And we looked out a hall window, out onto the roof, and there was mommy. And I waived at mommy, I don&#8217;t know that she saw me. It never went through my mind that, what is she doing out on the roof in her nighty. I mean it just didn&#8217;t focus on me, there&#8217;s mommy, waive at mommy, okay now go on back to bed.&#8221;

Bob &#8220;People are telling me, ah your mommy will be safe, she will be right here, and they&#8217;re starting to lower the coffin into the ground. And I&#8217;m going, wait a minute, mommy&#8217;s in this box? Oh yea, she&#8217;ll be right here. Get mommy out of the box. I don&#8217;t want mommy in the box!&#8221;

A word (mommy), I believe, to have been left out of the self discussion Robert Durst has with himself in the restroom at the end of episode 6. If this word was indeed not heard and/or included, could the discussion perhaps be framed completely different??

Mom &#8220;And there it is, you&#8217;re caught.&#8221;
Bob &#8220;Mommy, you&#8217;re right of course, but you can&#8217;t imagine&#8221;
Mom &#8220;Arrest him.&#8221;
Bob &#8220;I don&#8217;t know what&#8217;s in the houise. Oh I want this.&#8221;
Mom &#8220;What a disaster.&#8221;
Bob &#8220;He was right, I was wrong.&#8221;
Mom &#8220;And the burping.&#8221;
Bob &#8220;I&#8217;m having difficulty with the question. What the hell did I do?&#8221;
Mom &#8220;Killed them all, of course.&#8221;

I tend to agree with you, ehinkley. I have watched the Jinx once and watched a few episodes again today. The one time RD showed joy was when he spoke of how good things were before his mother died. I still have convos with my deceased mom and grandma when I am alone. It gives me both comfort and guidance.

Thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to good discussion.

Just finished watching The Jinx and I was pretty blown away by it. Great documentary and I'm even more sure now that Durst is guilty of all of the murders. It's crazy how he can convince people of his story and that he's just the unluckiest man alive. I mean, he had me falling for it, but by the end, no way.

Hey everyone, I have been fixated with everything Robert Durst after watching The Jinx. From Kathleen Durst to Morris Black, I am baffled he hasn't been convicted of murder. With the upcoming trial for Susan Berman, I understand they are doing the preliminary hearing now. Does anyone have any insight as to when the actual trial will start and what court it will take place in? I am looking forward to attending the trial in LA.

Tonight (Saturday) on Lifetime:

The Lost Wife of Robert Durst
(2017)

Young and wide-eyed Kathie falls in love with charming, yet quirky real estate scion Robert Durst, only to find their marriage turning stranger, darker and more disturbing as time passes. Based on the book by Matt Birkbeck.

8:00 - 10:02 PM Lifetime

Hey everyone, I have been fixated with everything Robert Durst after watching The Jinx. From Kathleen Durst to Morris Black, I am baffled he hasn't been convicted of murder. With the upcoming trial for Susan Berman, I understand they are doing the preliminary hearing now. Does anyone have any insight as to when the actual trial will start and what court it will take place in? I am looking forward to attending the trial in LA.

Hi,

The trial begins on April 6 of this year.

Did Robert Durst Kill His Wife? An Investigator’s Letter May Shed Light

But with those proceedings on hiatus until October, his lawyers are now battling 2,800 miles to the east in State Supreme Court in Mineola, Long Island, to suppress a damaging seven-page letter written in February by an investigator. The letter details how many of Mr. Durst’s statements in 1982 concerning the disappearance of his wife, Kathie McCormack Durst, were “replete with omissions and inaccuracies.”

The investigator, Edward J. Wright, who was working for Mr. Durst’s lawyer in 1982, described how Mr. Durst erupted with “a verbal salvo of expletives directed at me” after he confronted Mr. Durst about the many discrepancies in his account of his whereabouts at the time of Mrs. Durst’s disappearance

https://nypost.com/2018/05/31/ex-wifes-family-may-drop-suit-if-durst-reveals-location-of-body/

A lawyer for Kathie Durst’s family says they will drop their $100 million wrongful death suit against Robert Durst — if the accused killer comes clean.

“Just to be 100 percent clear if, in the next 48 hours, Durst or one of his co-defendants tells us where he dumped Kathie’s body so we can retrieve it, we would immediately drop this lawsuit against him,” family attorney Bob Abrams told The Post outside court Thursday.

New here so not sure if I'm posting in the right place. I've just finished the Jinx series and my question is more aimed at the film makers who seemed to have very compelling evidence (the envelope with matching handwriting & misspelled 'beverley') which they didn't immediately turn over to the police, and waited what seemed like a number of weeks to obtain a further interview with what at that point looked very likely to be a murderer.
Wouldn't there be some legal obligation on their part to involve the authorities as soon as they had it? What if there was another death / murder in that time that they had the envelope that could have potentially been prevented?

Robert Durst of ‘The Jinx’ struck fear in his wife before she disappeared in the ’80s: witness
Oct 15 2018
"Durst was in court on Monday for the first day of what is expected to be a two-week preliminary hearing that is to determine if the prosecution has presented enough evidence to require him to stand trial in Berman’s murder."

"The first witness to testify at Monday’s hearing was Peter Halperin, who attended medical school with Kathleen Durst in the early 1980s, when the Dursts lived in New York. Halperin said he spoke to Kathleen Durst by phone in December 1981, a few weeks before her disappearance.

“Kathie said she was very frightened because she thought her husband might hurt her,” Halperin, 66, testified.

“She said that there were problems in her marriage and that things had escalated to the point she felt unsafe.”

Prosecutors Seek To Use Durst's Dismemberment Killing In LA Trial

"LOS ANGELES, CA — Los Angeles County prosecutors want jurors in New York real estate scion Robert Durst's murder trial to hear about the 2001 killing and dismemberment of a Texas neighbor for which he was acquitted, according to court papers filed Thursday....

In a lengthy court filing objecting to a defense motion to exclude evidence about Morris Black's killing, prosecutors contend that the manner of the two killings were "eerily similar" and that both victims were slain inside a residence they each considered to be safe while they were "either completely or largely helpless in their ability to defend themselves."...

A hearing on the defense's request is set Jan. 14 at the Airport Courthouse in Los Angeles...."

Prosecutors Seek To Use Durst's Dismemberment Killing In LA Trial
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shocking Video Of How Robert Durst Murdered Morris Black Revealed In New D.A. Filing
LA officials say he was 'tying up lose ends' when he dismembered & disposed the body.

Dec 27, 2018

"...In an motion filed on Dec. 27 obtained by Radar, Los Angeles prosecutors argued evidence related to Morris Black‘s homicide Opens a New Window. , for which Durst was acquitted of in a separate trial, should be included in the ongoing case against Durst for the 2000 death Opens a New Window. of his friend, Susan Berman...."

Shocking Video Of How Robert Durst Murdered Morris Black Revealed In New D.A. Filing
---

Motion filed: (7 pages)

https://radaronline.com/wp-content/...evidence-related-Morris-black-murder-docs.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WS thread Susan Berman: CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*

Last edited:
DA Argues to Include Evidence From Prior Murder Case Against Robert Durst

Jan 14, 2019

"Los Angeles County prosecutors, in a newly filed motion, are pushing for jurors in New York real estate scion Robert Durst's murder trial to hear about the 2001 killing and dismemberment of a Texas neighbor for which he was acquitted....

In their latest court filing, submitted Friday and scheduled to be argued before a judge on Tuesday, prosecutors allege that the defense -- which has moved to exclude evidence about Morris Black's killing -- is seeking to "blindfold jurors in their search for the truth.''

District Attorney Jackie Lacey and the deputy district attorneys trying the case contend that Black's killing is "directly applicable to the witness-killing special circumstance allegation'' facing Durst.

Prosecutors allege that the defendant killed Berman to be certain that she couldn't talk to authorities about his involvement in the 1982 disappearance of his first wife, Kathleen "Katie'' Durst, who has never been found. Similarly, "(Durst) killed Morris because Morris knew defendant's true identity and defendant was afraid that Morris was going to reveal his whereabouts to ... New York authorities,'' the latest motion alleges.

Durst's attorneys argue that the prosecutors are engaged in character assassination by linking Durst to as many homicides as possible, without sufficient proof. ...

To make the case that they are not simply trying to tie several suspicious deaths to Durst to prejudice the jury, prosecutors mentioned another possible victim in their motion. Karen Marie Mitchell, 16, disappeared from Eureka, California in 1997. Prosecutors said a witness who saw the teenager getting into a car that same day identified Durst as the driver, and a co-worker said Durst came dressed as a women into the store where the girl worked at least twice afterward.

But because there is no direct link to Durst's first wife's disappearance or Berman's murder, the prosecution isn't seeking to mention Mitchell at trial...."

DA Argues to Include Evidence From Prior Murder Case Against Robert Durst
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back