NORTH KOREA - Otto Warmbier, 22, UV student, released from North Korea, June 2017, Deceased

I was a bit surprised that Otto looked to be average weight in the pic of him being carried to the ambulance. I do not understand why they carried him when the stretchers were right there. It gave me hope that his condition wasn't as bad as we had heard :(

I was a bit surprised that Otto looked to be average weight in the pic of him being carried to the ambulance. I do not understand why they carried him when the stretchers were right there. It gave me hope that his condition wasn't as bad as we had heard :(

I was really surprised that they carried him off the plane. Maybe the plane didn't have a door opening that would have allowed a stretcher to be raised to the door or maybe the stairs were too narrow to carry a stretcher safely. It seemed really odd.

I was really surprised that they carried him off the plane. Maybe the plane didn't have a door opening that would have allowed a stretcher to be raised to the door or maybe the stairs were too narrow to carry a stretcher safely. It seemed really odd.
I can't remember where, but I read that it was easier to carry him down the steps like that rather than carry him down the steps on a stretcher, since he has no outward physical injuries.

I can't remember where, but I read that it was easier to carry him down the steps like that rather than carry him down the steps on a stretcher, since he has no outward physical injuries.

WS-verified RN meanmaryjean explained exactly that in the other thread (for David Sneddon). That might be where you read it. :) I found it odd at first too.

MeanMaryJean commented on that on David Sneddon's thread.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-by-Kim-Jong-un-Korea&p=13436617#post13436617
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-by-Kim-Jong-un-Korea&p=13439339#post13439339

Fwiw,my experience..
Years ago when i lived several floors up in an apartment building and needed to be raced to a hospital, the emergency workers carried me out because they said there was no time to go back for a stretcher. Perhaps the elevator was also too cramped.

wth did they do to him?! Omg poor Otto ...

Just saw a press conference on Fox News with the medical staff who are treating Otto. It is not good, he has "extensive loss of brain tissue". Brain tissue doesn't regenerate, so..... :cry: I didn't find an updated link, hopefully there will be one available soon.

This poor young man and his family.
All of my love and prayers are going out to them during their ordeal now that they have him home and are learning of his suffering.
I wasn't aware of Otto until yesterday's news.

jmo

wth did they do to him?! Omg poor Otto ...

I have several thoughts on that, but none of them are good, and none of which I would want to mention. All I can say is that he was no doubt tortured. Poor, sweet, Otto. :cry:
Those crazy psycho SOB's :stormingmad:

Updated.
[h=1]Brutalised, terrorised and left severely brain damaged': Family devastated as student turned North Korean captive returns to the U.S. not even being able to speak after 17-month jail stint for 'stealing a tiny propaganda poster'[/h]
  • US student Otto Warmbier freed after being sentenced to 15 years hard labour
  • He is left with severe brain damage after 17-month detainment in North Korea
  • Doctors said he had suffered extensive tissue loss in all regions of the brain
  • The 22-year-old is unable to speak or communicate with his family, doctors said
  • Student's father, Fred Warmbier, hit out at Kim Jong-Un's authoritarian regime
  • He said the North Koreans have proven that they are 'not nature's noble men'
  • Warmbier sentenced for stealing a political banner from a North Korean hotel

The family's many priority now is making Otto comfortable, Mr Warmbier said.

He went on to describe his son as a 'sweet, loving, kind person' who always made him look good as a father for his many achievements in school

'The brutality he endured and the terror that he went through and the performance he gave doesn't really speak to who Otto is.'
During Warmbier's trial, a grainy video was shown, allegedly showing him removing a poster which read: 'Let's arm ourselves strongly with Kim Jong-il's patriotism!'

The person's face was hidden so there was no proof that it was actually him.

Kim Jong-il was the father of current leader Kim Jong-un.

What surprised me is that the Dr's said his skin was in good condition. I was not expecting that. Everything else is pretty much what I imagined when they said he has been in a coma for a year. :(

Jun 15 2017, 6:04 pm ET

Otto Warmbier Has Extensive Brain Damage, Doctors Say

by Maggie Fox

Otto Warmbier, the 22-year-old college student released from North Korea this week, has extensive brain damage and is unaware of his surroundings, doctors said Thursday.

There’s no evidence of how Wambier was injured, but the brain damage looks like what happens when someone’s heart stops for a long period of time, doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center said.

“His neurological condition can be best described as a state of unresponsive wakefulness,” Dr. Daniel Kanter, director of the hospital’s neurocritical care program, told a news conference...

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...as-extensive-brain-damage-doctors-say-n773036

I'm so sad for Otto. Unimaginable what he went through. :(

I am horrified that this happened. Now, we can also turn our focus to the other Americans held in North Korea so their fate is not the same. I hope this family and the government can work back channels to gain access to these men and secure their release.

This certainly gives a sense of the brutality of this government.

Rbbm.
The British roommate of American student Otto Warmbier, who returned home with severe brain damage after being detained in North Korea for stealing a propaganda sign, has told of the moment he was led away by security staff at Pyongyang airport.

Tourist Danny Gratton met Warmbier in Beijing in late December 2015 on the day they traveled to North Korea for a guided tour of the secretive dictatorship.

The pair shared a room while on the trip in which Gratton said he got to know the 21-year-old well.
Gratton, who had not previously spoken of the ordeal that saw Warmbier sentenced to 15 years had labor, spoke of the chilling moment the youngster was dragged away by officials as they tried to pass security at Pyongyang airport back to Beijing on January 2, 2016.

They were running late because the hotel had mysteriously and uncharacteristically missed their wake-up call.
After handing their passports to the immigration officer, there was a short wait, followed by the appearance of two North Korean security officials, who took Warmbier to a private room.

Gratton assumed it was a routine check or another form of mild harassment because Warmbier was American.
'No words were spoken. Two guards just come over and simply tapped Otto on the shoulder and led him away,' Gratton said.

'I just said kind of quite nervously, 'Well, that's the last we'll see of you.' There's a great irony in those words.'

'That was it. That was the last physical time I saw Otto, ever. I was also the only person to see Otto taken away,' Gratton said.
Gratton also said he had no clue that Warmbier had taken the sign from the hotel lobby.

'I've got nothing from my experiences with him that would suggest he would do something like that,' he said.

'At no stage did I ever think he was anything but a very, very polite kid.'

417549C700000578-0-image-a-56_1497604234166.jpg

Warmbier (red circled) plays in the snow while on his ill-fated North Korea trip with friends on New Years Eve - Danny Gratton is believed to be with the party

It just gets worse and worse. Seems Otto was only minutes away from boarding his flight home when he was detained by the h**ligans. Is anyone else doubting that Otto was the one who took the banner from the wall in the restricted area? I think the hotel had no idea who committed the act (the video wasn't clear) but the regime decided to implicate an American. The whole story sounds concocted, and there's no doubt the evil regime tortured and threatened Otto to get him to confess and orchestrate a story implicating other Americans, including the US gov't.

I have a better slogan than the one on the banner that was removed from the hotel wall:

No Go to No Ko.

It just gets worse and worse. Seems Otto was only minutes away from boarding his flight home when he was detained by the h**ligans. Is anyone else doubting that Otto was the one who took the banner from the wall in the restricted area? I think the hotel had no idea who committed the act (the video wasn't clear) but the regime decided to implicate an American. The whole story sounds concocted, and there's no doubt the evil regime tortured and threatened Otto to get him to confess and orchestrate a story implicating other Americans, including the US gov't.

I have a better slogan than the one on the banner that was removed from the hotel wall:

No Go to No Ko.

I agree, that wasn't Otto. They just wanted to single out an American. In fact I believe the whole thing was a set up, a farce. It's so sickening. That evil regime needs to be destroyed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back