Was Darin Routier involved in away with the murder or cover up of their boys?

Did Darin Routier help in anyway with the murder of his son's?

• Darin helped Darlie murder the boys

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • Darin helped Darlie cover up the murder of their boys

Votes: 142 46.3%
  • Darin took the sock and placed it in the Alley

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • Darin was innocent and had nothing to do with his son's deaths

Votes: 108 35.2%

• Total voters
Because the 911 call was taped, we know Darin discovered the murders during that call, as Darlie explains to him what happened. I don't think he had the time or the wherewithall at that point to decide to plant evidence to help her. He first tried to recessitate Devon.

The sock is an enigma for sure. But who knows what Darlie was thinking. If she had the bizarre mindset that she could stab her children and then blame it on a mystery intruder, then a bizarre action with a sock falls into the same category. It doesn't make sense how or why she planted it, but none of the rest of what she did makes sense either. Like, why wipe Damon's bloody handprint off the sofa? There was blood all over. Why plant a sock with so little blood on it? To prove the intruder went through the laundry room and picked up a sock on his way towards the cut screen? To throw blame on the guy who lived in the house of the yard where the sock was found? It's just a wacko mind doing more wacko things.

Something I've theorized is that Darin planted the bloody sock (or tried to get rid of it) when he realized what Darlie had done. I'm not sure if he knew before or after she killed them that the murder would happen. But I do believe he is the one who dropped the sock outside when he went to flag the neighbor for help. The cop seeing him outside upon pulling up to the scene proves Darin was outside at some point and would have had the opportunity to drop it.

I was responding to this post, failed to include it

He failed the poly because HE did it - the only enigma is that he's managed to get away with his scheme to kill Darlie and the kids for the insurance $$ ($250,000 on Darlie - ONLY 5k on each on the boys) all this time AND, because his plan got botched by Darlie's survival, his luck continued when she was seen as the perpetrator, taking all eyes off of him. This is his MO, his consistent go-to; when in need of $$, find a way to collect on insurance... my opinion and someday I believe that the truth will come out. I only pray that it won't involve further deaths of innocents at his hands.

Answer to poll, selection not provided: DARIN DID IT

Do you really think darlie would sit on death row for 18 years and not dob darin in?

He failed the poly because HE did it - the only enigma is that he's managed to get away with his scheme to kill Darlie and the kids for the insurance $$ ($250,000 on Darlie - ONLY 5k on each on the boys) all this time AND, because his plan got botched by Darlie's survival, his luck continued when she was seen as the perpetrator, taking all eyes off of him. This is his MO, his consistent go-to; when in need of $$, find a way to collect on insurance... my opinion and someday I believe that the truth will come out. I only pray that it won't involve further deaths of innocents at his hands.

Answer to poll, selection not provided: DARIN DID IT

Darlie also did not pass a polygraph

He failed the poly because HE did it

You don't know why he failed the poly. She failed her poly too. Polygraphs are not admissible in a court of law, did you know that?

The physical evidence at the scene and on Darlie herself, including the shirt she was wearing, show her to be forensically linked to the murders, not as a victim, but as someone who was wielding a knife.

The evidence is what it is, despite any "beliefs" in innocence or guilt.

Darin may be up to his neck in knowing what really happened in that house, but there is no forensic evidence linking him to committing murders, and there is evidence linking Darlie. Besides, Darlie insists it was a "stranger/intruder" who did the killings. Why would she take the fall and allow herself to be convicted and sentenced to death to cover for Darin? (and then allow Darin the multiple child killer to raise baby Drake and not say anything at all, ever?)

I stil think Darlie was 100% guilty in the killing of her boys. But I also still think Darin was complicit in some way and perhaps helped to stage the scene, and possibly was the one who cut Darlie's throat to look like she had been attacked.

What I will never understand is why Darlie didn't throw him under the bus. Even if he is completely 100% innocent. She could have easily lied and said "oh I didn't remember at first, but now I do. Darin was the one who hurt us." We know Darlie and the blood spatter evidence shows she stabbed her boys, but I think that if she had pointed a finger at Darin then the jury may have not been convinced of her guilt. She could have argued, "look, we were all hurt and the only person who was able to commit a crime, Darin, wasn't hurt!" She doesn't have to prove anything at trial, just inject enough doubt that the jury questions whether she was guilty.

I'm not saying she should have said that. But I can't believe she didn't. This was a woman fighting against the death penalty. If she's guilty of killing her sons then she is more than capable about lying about her husband. It always makes me wonder why she didn't try and implicate him.

Because the 911 call was taped, we know Darin discovered the murders during that call, as Darlie explains to him what happened. I don't think he had the time or the wherewithall at that point to decide to plant evidence to help her. He first tried to recessitate Devon.

The sock is an enigma for sure. But who knows what Darlie was thinking. If she had the bizarre mindset that she could stab her children and then blame it on a mystery intruder, then a bizarre action with a sock falls into the same category. It doesn't make sense how or why she planted it, but none of the rest of what she did makes sense either. Like, why wipe Damon's bloody handprint off the sofa? There was blood all over. Why plant a sock with so little blood on it? To prove the intruder went through the laundry room and picked up a sock on his way towards the cut screen? To throw blame on the guy who lived in the house of the yard where the sock was found? It's just a wacko mind doing more wacko things.

"To throw blame on the guy who lived in the house of the yard where the sock was found?"

This is what I think the sock was for. So far the sock is forensically tied to Darlie with her DNA in the toe from shed skin cells and the boys' blood in separate blood stains. This blows the second knife theory for me as well. Two intruders both wiping their knives on the sock, yeah right. Where's their shed skin cells? Darin's?

I stil think Darlie was 100% guilty in the killing of her boys. But I also still think Darin was complicit in some way and perhaps helped to stage the scene, and possibly was the one who cut Darlie's throat to look like she had been attacked.

What I will never understand is why Darlie didn't throw him under the bus. Even if he is completely 100% innocent. She could have easily lied and said "oh I didn't remember at first, but now I do. Darin was the one who hurt us." We know Darlie and the blood spatter evidence shows she stabbed her boys, but I think that if she had pointed a finger at Darin then the jury may have not been convinced of her guilt. She could have argued, "look, we were all hurt and the only person who was able to commit a crime, Darin, wasn't hurt!" She doesn't have to prove anything at trial, just inject enough doubt that the jury questions whether she was guilty.

I'm not saying she should have said that. But I can't believe she didn't. This was a woman fighting against the death penalty. If she's guilty of killing her sons then she is more than capable about lying about her husband. It always makes me wonder why she didn't try and implicate him.

She never thought in a million years she'd be convicted, IMO

She never thought in a million years she'd be convicted, IMO

No she sure didn't - which is why she invited the press to the cemetery and put on a show for them. Her original schtick was that it was an attempted rape and the intruder killed the boys to get them out of the way as potential witnesses. She told the police her neighbor watched her sunbathing. She wrote to her relatives and named the neighbor as the probable culprit. Darin's lame comment to the police about her big breasts was to indicate that of course someone would want to rape her (!).

At first I thought the sock was meant to go down the storm drain to dispose of evidence, but when I saw a photo of it at the scene I changed my mind. As a man's athletic sock, it is probably 18" long and it is laid out in a full straight line right next to the curb in the neighbor's back yard. It wasn't dropped, it was purposely laid out. It practically screams "look at me."

Not only was she heartless enough that she could kill her children, but she was also heartless enough to blame it on some poor innocent neighbor.

In a few jailhouse interviews she did try to throw some suspicion Darin's way, but she can't completely throw him under the bus, because her story all along has been that he didn't do it. And she's already changed her story way too much. Also, Darin would just throw the bus right back at her if she tried it. He probably knows (or at least suspects) more than he's saying.

I considered the sock a way of getting investigators to think, "the killer went that-a-way!" Not necessarily to implicate the neighbor in that specific house, but to lead investigators away from the Routier house in general, to send them on their way.

No she sure didn't - which is why she invited the press to the cemetery and put on a show for them. Her original schtick was that it was an attempted rape and the intruder killed the boys to get them out of the way as potential witnesses. She told the police her neighbor watched her sunbathing. She wrote to her relatives and named the neighbor as the probable culprit. Darin's lame comment to the police about her big breasts was to indicate that of course someone would want to rape her (!).

At first I thought the sock was meant to go down the storm drain to dispose of evidence, but when I saw a photo of it at the scene I changed my mind. As a man's athletic sock, it is probably 18" long and it is laid out in a full straight line right next to the curb in the neighbor's back yard. It wasn't dropped, it was purposely laid out. It practically screams "look at me."

Not only was she heartless enough that she could kill her children, but she was also heartless enough to blame it on some poor innocent neighbor.

In a few jailhouse interviews she did try to throw some suspicion Darin's way, but she can't completely throw him under the bus, because her story all along has been that he didn't do it. And she's already changed her story way too much. Also, Darin would just throw the bus right back at her if she tried it. He probably knows (or at least suspects) more than he's saying.

that's why I think she took the stand as well. She was used to her family and her friends believing her BS so she thought the jury would just believe her....she did more to convict herself by testifying than the evidence did I think. When you read her cross examination by the state you understand why she was convicted...and they want us to believe she was railroaded by the state. She railroaded herself

Just my random thoughts on the bruises, ten years ago when I was young, lazy, and broke, I tried to sell my plasma for extra cash. It paid 30$ for the first time and 60$ the second time if u came in the same week according to the constant ads on tv. I never made it the second time because the attendant who inserted the needle, accidently punctured my vein on the inside numerous times trying to find my vein. She eventually tried the other arm, doing the same thing on a lesser scale. Two days later, her poking had caused my entire left arm to form a solid purple bruise from the inside of my elbow to my armpit. My right arm was also dark purple but only about a quarter of it, not like my left arm. What I think, is that the stab wound on her arm, sliced or punctured a vein, and what we see is not a bruising from a violent struggle.

During my first pregnancy, I developed pneumonia. I needed arterial gases analyzed to make sure my baby was getting enough oxygen. They stick a needle in an artery in your arm and draw blood directly from the artery and then measure oxygen levels. I was left with a black bruise from my shoulder to my fingers and it exactly resembled Darlie's bruising. I have often wondered if they performed arterial gases on Darlie to measure her oxygen levels since her throat was cut.

Yes, I definitely think Darin was involved too, although I'm not sure to what extent. It's crazy to me, that after 20+ years later, neither one of them has ever accused the other. They always stuck by their story.

Yes, I definitely think Darin was involved too, although I'm not sure to what extent. It's crazy to me, that after 20+ years later, neither one of them has ever accused the other. They always stuck by their story.

This has been discussed many times. If Darlie accuses Darin now, she's admitting that she lied for 20 years. Why would she sit on death row to protect him? It makes no sense. On the other side, Darin doesn't need to accuse Darlie. She's already on Death Row and all it does is hurt his son and piss off his relatives who support her.

This has been discussed many times. If Darlie accuses Darin now, she's admitting that she lied for 20 years. Why would she sit on death row to protect him? It makes no sense. On the other side, Darin doesn't need to accuse Darlie. She's already on Death Row and all it does is hurt his son and piss off his relatives who support her.

Perhaps Darlie could not believe that he had done it. It's hard to believe that someone you've loved and been with for years could try and kill you and kill your/their children.

I've been in an abusive relationship for twelve years and, even though I knew I was being taken advantage of, I'd never thought that I'd been manipulated. After things got out of control and he almost got physical with me, and started making death threats to me, my family and a friend of mine, I suddenly started to process the last twelve years of my life and realize just how much of a liar and of a manipulator he'd been with me. So, because I've been there, I can tell you that sometimes it's just plain denial from the part of the victim. "No, my loved one would never do such a thing. I must have interpreted things all wrong. I must be the one having problems, not him/her." Those are the kind of thoughts that start running in people who've been psychologically abused for a while.

I can't say for sure that this is the kind of relationship that Darlie and Darin were in but... from what I read, she was pretty much taking care of everything (house, kids, meals, paying the bills) while he was out working and maybe not just working... if you know what I mean. Yes, he gave her jewels, but a woman needs attention and help around the house more than she needs jewels... so that does not mean that he was a great husband afterall. It used to be like that for me too... minus the jewels. Because we were broke since he spent all "our" money for his own leisure. I had to take care of everything. Cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, taking care of our son, etc. It was my responsibility because he was earning more money than me... because he wanted me home to take care of everything and would throw fits when I'd have to work weekends or evenings. Anyways... I guess this post will be confusing to many of you but... all I'm trying to say is that... with the things that I've had the time to realize over the last year or so about my relationship with my ex, well... I can see similarities in Darlie's situation. And maybe in Darin's temper/way of thinking. And that leads me to think that maybe Darlie was just really trusting her husband who was not a good person at all and who used her. She may not have had the time to realize it before it was too late. And maybe now she is ashamed to talk about it, or someone told her it was in her best interest not to implicate Darin in order to try and get herself out of death row.

I mean, what if someone told her that Drake could risk losing both his parents if she did implicate Darin but failed to lay the charges off her? Or maybe these are just her thoughts. But I sincerely hope that one day, she will get the courage and the help necessary to make things move and prove the world that they were wrong about her.

Sorry for the long post... but I had to try and explain how I see things.

Darin's clothes were collected at the hospital. He was given hospital scrubs to wear.

Yes, but didn't he have the time to go shower and change clothes at a neighbour's before he got to the hospital? First of all, who does that? You kids are dying/dead, your wife is serisouly injured and you take the time to shower and change into some fresh clothes before going to the hospital?! He probably had something to hide, otherwise he would not have done that. His wife was in shock. He should have been in shock too. And he should have been by her side. Not showering. Smells fishy to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back