MN MN - Susan Swedell, 19, Lake Elmo, 19 Jan 1988

Any answers as of yet? I think this is a very good match, as I was comparing the two, I got chills, which usually does not happen for me.
And since Susan willingly got in the vehicle with this person at the gas station, and possibly returned home with him there (I do not think she smoked? Maybe that would explain the smell of ciggarette smoke in the air).
Why she could have been in New York? Maybe he threatened her and she went with him. Maybe the perp was obssessed with her and had some wild fantasy of living out there with her in NY. (Look at the Ann Sluti case, where he took her all the way to Montana to live out in the unused cabins). I think there are many scenarios that could explain her ending up in NY.
And this UID was found just about a month after Susan vanished-I have noticed a general time frame for these UIDs to turn up are about that time period apart after they vanished. Most MPs are found about a month or two after they vanished, they just aren't identified for many years. Especially if they are not from around the area. There is quite a distance between MN and NY.

I have featured Susan as a Spotlight Entry for Missing Angels & Cold Cases:
http://deaniepeters-missingangels.blogspot.com/2012/11/susan-anne-swedell-missing-24-years.html

Very eager to see how this PM turns out!

CarlK,
Thank you very much for the update! Do you know of anyone else Susan has been ruled out against?

BCA, Washington County Sheriff’s Office Seek Information on Missing Lake Elmo Woman’s Cold Case File
January 17, 2014
http://www.stillwatercurrent.com/bca-washington-county-sheriffs-office-seek-information-on-missing-lake-elmo-womans-26-year-cold-case-file/
Anyone with information on Swedell’s whereabouts is urged to contact the Washington County Sheriff’s Office at 651-430-7850.

A $25,000 reward is offered for information which leads to the discovery of her whereabouts.

Susan's name popped up in the news today: http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...-retired-cop-remembers-first-to-come-forward/

swedell-susan.jpg

Susan Swedell went missing on Jan. 19, 1988, after leaving her overheated car at a Lake Elmo gas station, following her shift at a Kmart in Oak Park Heights. The gas station’s attendant saw her get in another man’s car, and a subsequent investigation of her car found that the radiator’s “petcock” — the plug on the bottom — had been removed, draining the radiator of fluid.

The station where she was last seen, at Manning Avenue and Highway 5, was less than a mile from her home.

Here is a link to a UID found in NY on Feb. 14, 1988. Very close in height, weight, eye color, hair. I did not want to post the photo as I don't know how to do a graphic warning. This UID was created in Namus on May 3rd and modified on May 15th. Dentals have not been entered yet.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10229

Bringing this forward - Susan is not on the exclusions list.

I wonder if the New York UID was investigated? A user submitted Susan as a possible match, but they haven't posted since 2012, so I'm not sure what they found out (if anything). Susan isn't on the exclusions list, as BethAnn777 stated in the previous post.

I think "Dale" could very well be the man who picked her up and likely murdered her. Although the calls with this man probably seemed innocent to coworkers, he could've been controlling and manipulative behind closed doors and for whatever reason Susan stayed with him. Maybe she was seeing someone else and/or trying to leave him, which could explain the change into a short skirt. Her attacker could've tampered with her car, knowing she'd soon need a ride, saw that she was dressed for a date, and snapped. Or maybe there was no other man involved and this guy just wanted to kill her. Unfortunately there are quite a few possibilities on exactly how she was taken. I don't feel that she was allowed to return home, rather that her abductor did to clean up evidence or to make it seem like she had been there and create a false lead. I'm really hoping the UID is either confirmed or ruled out soon.

Susan won't be on the rule out list since both she and Westchester County Jane Doe both have profiles in CODIS.
They only list manual comparisons, not automatic ones.

I did not know this. Thanks for the lesson learned here.

Is anyone actively looking into Susan's disappearance? Does anyone have any police information they can give me? I remember this happening and would like to help in the case. I was 15 at the time and she lived 45 minutes from me (less now with new Hwy's). It was about the same time that a guy showed up on the gravel road, outside our house, where I grew up. Scary things were happening in Minnesota at that time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back