UNSOLVED UK - London, woman pushed into path of bus, 5 May 2017

Wow I'm kind of surprised that UK LE would release his name, considering how they do their investigations - keeping it close to vest - and not allow stuff like this get into the public.

And as someone mentioned - at first it was 30ish year-old, and this guy is 50/51. Wonder if they did a line-up with the victim?

Hopefully, they WILL catch the right guy!

bbm I bet he's gonna sue.

I doubt they will rearrest him. They must have evaluated his claim that he wasn't in the country and found that to be true as they released him. If he wasn't in the country, he didn't commit this crime.
Yes, you're probably right. If he was abroad he didn't commit the crime - that is obvious - I'm just looking at what powerful lawyers can do.

I'm thinking this would have been easy enough for LE to verify before arresting him right?
A little bit of extra work from the investigators could have prevented a huge lawsuit....
At least this guy was able to prove his alibi and got out after a few days, could have been much worse for him.

I'm thinking this would have been easy enough for LE to verify before arresting him right?
A little bit of extra work from the investigators could have prevented a huge lawsuit....
At least this guy was able to prove his alibi and got out after a few days, could have been much worse for him.

This happened in the UK. Suing is not so easy to do there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4786014/Man-wrongfully-arrested-Putney-push-runs-near.html

The wrongfully arrested guy is a runner, but his daily route isn't near where the woman was attacked.

So even if he hadn't been in the US at the time, it still would've been a case of mistaken identity. After all, cctv cameras are likely in that area too.

Poster here posted the link to his exercise routine. That daily routine however is from 4 years ago, in 2013. Really wouldn't prove anything. Of course him not being in the UK eliminates him as a suspect and police should have checked that.

Poster here posted the link to his exercise routine. That daily routine however is from 4 years ago, in 2013. Really wouldn't prove anything. Of course him not being in the UK eliminates him as a suspect and police should have checked that.

Re the BBM
Seems once police were told of his alibi they did check it and eliminate him. I wouldn't expect police to spend a lot of time checking if he was in this country before bringing him in for questioning though - how were they to know he had an ironclad alibi before his arrest?

Re the BBM
Seems once police were told of his alibi they did check it and eliminate him. I wouldn't expect police to spend a lot of time checking if he was in this country before bringing him in for questioning though - how were they to know he had an ironclad alibi before his arrest?

And here I always thought police should investigate before arresting someone. What evidence did they have to begin with? Clearly he couldn't have done it if he wasn't even in the country, so whatever that evidence was, it wasn't any good.

And here I always thought police should investigate before arresting someone. What evidence did they have to begin with? Clearly he couldn't have done it if he wasn't even in the country, so whatever that evidence was, it wasn't any good.

I do agree, the police say "they had reasonable grounds to arrest him" but I don't know what 'reasonable grounds' would be. ?
One of my nightmares is to be arrested for something I didn't do and then unable to provide a substantiated alibi :eek:verreaction:

I do agree, the police say "they had reasonable grounds to arrest him" but I don't know what 'reasonable grounds' would be. ?
One of my nightmares is to be arrested for something I didn't do and then unable to provide a substantiated alibi :eek:verreaction:

My guess somebody thought he looked like the image and turned him in. But the face on the image isn't very clear so would that be reasonable? One would think police could have questioned him without arresting him.

My guess somebody thought he looked like the image and turned him in. But the face on the image isn't very clear so would that be reasonable? One would think police could have questioned him without arresting him.

I'm a bit flaky on UK Law, but if police turned up at my door and wanted to take me to a police station to be questioned - about something I hadn't done - I would refuse.

I think under these circumstances they do arrest one as a means to take one in for questioning (suppose everyone, even the guilty, claim innocence)?. But of course they must have "reasonable grounds" for doing so, and it hinges on whatever these 'grounds' are doesn't it?.

ETA Just to add I think his name and details being obtained by the press and then published in MSM is atrocious. This man was never charged with a crime.

I'm a bit flaky on UK Law, but if police turned up at my door and wanted to take me to a police station to be questioned - about something I hadn't done - I would refuse.

I think under these circumstances they do arrest one as a means to take one in for questioning (suppose everyone, even the guilty, claim innocence)?. But of course they must have "reasonable grounds" for doing so, and it hinges on whatever these 'grounds' are doesn't it?.

ETA Just to add I think his name and details being obtained by the press and then published in MSM is atrocious. This man was never charged with a crime.

They could have questioned him with a lawyer present. Since he has an iron-clad alibi, I presume he would have agreed to that.

In the UK it seems like LE can arrest someone for questioning, from what I have read and seen. They have to release them within a timeframe that can only be extended if more evidence surfaces during that timeframe. But not sure how that affects Americans.

In the UK it seems like LE can arrest someone for questioning, from what I have read and seen. They have to release them within a timeframe that can only be extended if more evidence surfaces during that timeframe. But not sure how that affects Americans.

When you are in a country, the laws of that land prevail, whatever your nationality.

Re the BBM

In my mind the issue isn't bringing him in for questioning, it's the fact that they released his name to the public/media before know they had the right man.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back