NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #5

IIRC: Wasn't there some discussion here about contacting the original detective who is no longer at precinct? Or, letter that had already been written? And not answered? Maybe CCS requested original PR should not be public? - For reasons you stated...

IIRC: Wasn't there some discussion here about contacting the original detective who is no longer at precinct? Or, letter that had already been written? And not answered? Maybe CCS requested original PR should not be public? - For reasons you stated...

I think there was some discussion about contacting the original detective no longer at the precinct. It's funny; I think nobody at 122 precinct or CCS ever thought there would be any renewed public interest in this case, and so they
may not have worried about the police report being out there. How often do we ever see the actual police report when looking at these cases? I certainly hope that nothing that has transpired here on this site ever negatively affects a case against a suspect. Sometimes I imagine that a suspect's defense lawyer has some poor paralegal combing these sites for information that they can use as reasonable doubt. I do think that pulling the police report is proof that the police are considering the possibility that Sylvia did not disappear on her own.

The PR was also on NamUs for a time, wasn't it? And it got pulled from there but we still had it here...

I just posted link to PR
It was definitely pulled from NamUs, but not from here.

Oh Rose-I see that you are on time out...please don't leave me here all alone!!!

Last Wednesday was the 42nd anniversary of Sylvia's disappearance-wondering when or if there'll be a resolution? And why her friends from Staten Island aren't more interested in what happened to her?

Bringing some more of Sylvia's pictures forward for new thread. Where's our girl?

attachment.php

Sylvia, you are missed and loved by many. Come home.

Last Wednesday was the 42nd anniversary of Sylvia's disappearance-wondering when or if there'll be a resolution? And why her friends from Staten Island aren't more interested in what happened to her?

Glad you are here Jmoose! -42 years is such a long time. Like you, I am wondering and wishing for resolution for Sylvia, peace for her family and BGF, and I too wonder where are Sylvia's school chums, neighborhood and town peeps?

Please visit us, chime in with us, and help us find Sylvia.

Bumping Sylvia's page up-trying to keep her on the first page, and hoping that someone who knew her, joins us here. We know you're out there, people!

I'm currently reading a book called "Playing Dead", which is about the steps involved in leaving your life and allowing everyone who knows you to think that you are dead, but you're not. It is essentially next to impossible to erase your footprint entirely, although it was probably easier when Sylvia disappeared. I don't think anybody (her brother, friends and law enforcement) believe that this is how Sylvia disappeared. I don't believe it, either.

I'm currently reading a book called "Playing Dead", which is about the steps involved in leaving your life and allowing everyone who knows you to think that you are dead, but you're not. It is essentially next to impossible to erase your footprint entirely, although it was probably easier when Sylvia disappeared. I don't think anybody (her brother, friends and law enforcement) believe that this is how Sylvia disappeared. I don't believe it, either.

You know - I certainly had hopes that bringing major attention to Sylvia after so many years would show some kind of a path to what happened. And yes, it does seem like it would be a Houdini feat to pull off a disappearance like that. And the events all seem very spontaneous that night, too. I had thought for a while, maybe if she left the country she might be alive and that is in the back of my mind... Still, living on the lam she would be looking behind herself - she would know about the publicity. And it doesn't fit with what we know about Sylvia, her family, friends and situation at the time.

The very sad reality is that after four decades she was disappeared in another way.

I'd like to think that Sylvia left the country and survives to this day-and it would be her right to do so, too. But it takes an extraordinary amount of pre-planning to do this successfully, expecially for such a long time. Could she have gotten lucky enough to fly below the radar? Sure, but she'd have to have been lucky all over the place, and I just don't see it. I really think she never left Staten Island-unless she somehow ended up in the water...and even being in the water is no guarantee she wouldn't be found. I keep rolling this over and over, to try and figure out what the possibilities are, since we know next to nothing. I am still amazed that NOBODY is interested in what happened to her. WTH?!

New York's Island of Lost Souls
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4977742/The-island-mass-burial-site-New-York-city-dead.html

Jmoose – Read this article this morning and thought of when you first brought up Hart Island. Sylvia’s never been researched on Hart Island has she? Wonder if this is a possibility that the cold case squad looked into?

Considering the financial state of NYC and all departments in the 70's, how possible is it that she was UID or UC and totaly went under the radar of protocol and paperwork? And, as mentioned in the article, all cemetaries have a UID / UC section. Were the Statin Island cemetaries ever researched?

It is not easy to research either – as is told in the profiles in the article…

As I look at the search criteria of Hart Island - I wish it had three more features to cross-reference.
1. status Unknown
2. gender
3. age approximation

I know the HI database of burials begins at 1980 - but that is only five years since she disappeared.
For those buried before - I imagine it is next to an impossible task.

Also, wonder what kind of records regular cemeteries keep to chart their UIDs /UCs?

https://www.hartisland.net/burial_r...lace_of_death_id=&plot=&order_by=&ajax-form=1

New York's Island of Lost Souls
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4977742/The-island-mass-burial-site-New-York-city-dead.html

Jmoose – Read this article this morning and thought of when you first brought up Hart Island. Sylvia’s never been researched on Hart Island has she? Wonder if this is a possibility that the cold case squad looked into?

Considering the financial state of NYC and all departments in the 70's, how possible is it that she was UID or UC and totaly went under the radar of protocol and paperwork? And, as mentioned in the article, all cemetaries have a UID / UC section. Were the Statin Island cemetaries ever researched?

It is not easy to research either – as is told in the profiles in the article…

I believe there is a possibility that Sylvia could have ended up at Hart Island-In fact, I contacted Sylvia's brother about the possibility. He said he'd thought about that, and had been in touch with someone there. As you said, the records only go back to 1980, and so there isn't any way, really, to know if there was a person fitting her description interred there, and no way to know where she would have ended up in the cemetery. We are much more attuned these days to what the police may be doing or not doing; and crime in the 70's in NYC was so much worse than it is now-I can imagine that the body of a dead woman could easily go unmatched with a missing one; after all, they had a lot bigger problems to worry about. I can totally see this happening to Sylvia without her family ever being notified.

Another thing that's bothering me is why she hasn't shown up on the Social Security Death Index. Now, why wouldn't she have been declared dead yet? She must have had a social security number, right? Is there any reason why she wouldn't have had one? You now have to get one as a baby-but when did you need one in the 70's? For a job, you'd need one, unless you worked off the books-would you need one for a drivers license? To enroll in college? Why wouldn't she be in the SSDI? I mean, somebody could hijack her social security number, couldn't they?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back