Federal Indictment: James Burke, Former Suffolk Co PD Chief, December 2015 - #3

Sorry to harp on the police so much, I know people on this website are generally very uncritical of police. I don't think anybody should be held to an especially higher or lower standard than anybody else, and I think it's a shame that people blindly accept facts presented by certain police no matter how much good cause there is to doubt those facts.

If the general public just looked at the facts against Bittrolff, in this case for example, with the same eyes they look at the police with, if each were held to the same standards of evidence, there would be no case so far. At the very least the police would have to prove that the dna evidence that they 'enhanced' is from the same person who committed the crime. And they would have to explain the unbelievable similarity between victims attributed to several killers, and they would have to open up their internal affairs paperwork regarding police who have commited rapes during that time period. None of that of course is going to happen, for the simple reason that nobody is willing to demand that police be held to some standard of integrity. It is so tiring to hear police say they hold themselves to some high standard, but you almost never see a police officer question corruption.

Bittrolff might be innocent or guilty, we have no way of knowing. He had a lawyer who was basically a shill for the prosecution. He was convicted on 'enhanced' evidence not supported by anything that a person would normally expect. All of the pretrial promises of 'additional evidence' and 'things that would be revealed at trial' turned out to be utter nonsense. If he is guilty then shouldn't they have to prove it in a fair trial with honest lawyers? Or at least some reasonable questioning of the facts police presented? Or should people start holding police to that standard? There are a lot of police, many, who have commited serious crimes and do not have to worry about the overwhelming evidence that is available, much less do they have to worry about possibly fictional evidence.

Agreed

The connection between the bodies Bittrolff and Shulman were convicted of is stronger than the evidence against Bittrolff.

edit to add

And it is bizarre that Keahon, who, acting as Bittrolff's lawyer ostensibly, helped deflect scrutiny of the supposed dna evidence by declaring it was valid despite his client's claims of innocence... also represented Shulman.

How does a guy with such obvious connections to the prosecution defend two killers who are accused of killing girls which indications are may have been killed by one or more police officers?

-

It looks like some higher level police became aware that a police officer was killing a certain kind of women, and they created a suspect to cover those killings, perhaps telling the cop something like 'we got your back on those, now stop doing that', but the person kept on killing. It is much more common than most people suspect for police to rape and even kill women who are on the fringes, and it is the norm in most police departments for police officers who do that to not be investigated publically.

There is no doubt in my mind Shulman is guilty. The evidence was overwhelming, plus you have 2 confessions in that case. Him & his brother. To believe in a vast conspiracy involving LE with that case, you would have to have 3 different LE county jursidictions involved (Nassau, Suffolk & Westchester) which Is unlikely. More than one SK have worked at overlapping times in the past (even with similar MOs) including Long Island, so it is not an unusual occurence.

There is no doubt in my mind Shulman is guilty. The evidence was overwhelming, plus you have 2 confessions in that case. Him & his brother. To believe in a vast conspiracy involving LE with that case, you would have to have 3 different LE county jursidictions involved (Nassau, Suffolk & Westchester) which Is unlikely. More than one SK have worked at overlapping times in the past (even with similar MOs) including Long Island, so it is not an unusual occurence.

I'm sorry to be rude and I'm not trying to be argumentative. I have not gone over the evidence in this case but I may.

First, I'm sure you are aware, a lot of innocent people do get convicted of crimes

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic...re-wrongly-convicted-researchers-do-the-math/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...0fc3a2-1aae-11e5-93b7-5eddc056ad8a_story.html

about 4.1% of convictions are of innocent people, but there is another factor.

That number is actually lower for mild crimes. So if you are convicted of shoplifting there is a less than 4.1% chance you are innocent. But for crimes that involve strong emotions, like murder, the percentage of wrongful convictions is higher, probably because there is a lower standard for evidence. I can find a link for that last point if you like.

Anyway, as I say, I have not reviewed this case. I remember reading that he confessed under duress, they said they would attack his brother unless he confessed. So that should add some question. Also a brief search on google

Robert Shulman, 45 – who faces trial in two more murders – was sentenced yesterday to die by lethal injection by Suffolk County Court Judge Arthur Pitts. The final date will probably be pushed back by a long appeals process through state and federal courts.

The former Hicksville postal worker boldly proclaimed his innocence.

“I am not a coward,” he said after sentencing. “God knows I didn’t do this. That gives me peace of mind.”

If you know how things work there, the Suffolk police get confessions from almost 100% of their suspects. In other cities the rate of confessions averages less than 40%.

So there is doubt about how valid his confession was.

Forensics I don't know, I'll search google tomorrow if I remember. I know that several Suffolk forensics experts have been caught giving what amounted to false testimony in other cases, but as is usually the case with police, they do not lose their job, nor even face discipline. I guess they just blush and say "oops I got caught". Was that the case with Shulman? It remains to be seen.

I agree 100% that innocent people get convicted of murder all the time and that Suffolk County has a high rate of murder confessions, but after you get a chance to read the investigation & evidence against Shulman, I am sure you will reach the conclusion that he is 100% guilty. In addition to initially confessing to the 3 murders, he went on to confess to 2 other murders. He also plead guilty at trials in Suffolk & Westchester counties. He said he felt horrible & apologized to victims' families upon his initial arrest. The only appeal is in his case was for a reduction of his death penalty sentencing. His brother also plead guilty in helping dispose of bodies and was sentenced to prison time. Yes SCPD is riddled with corruption. IMO it is probably one of the most corrupt in the country. But do I believe every LE officer there is corrupt, certainly not. And I do believe they got it right with Shulman. JMO

I agree 100% that innocent people get convicted of murder all the time and that Suffolk County has a high rate of murder confessions, but after you get a chance to read the investigation & evidence against Shulman, I am sure you will reach the conclusion that he is 100% guilty. In addition to initially confessing to the 3 murders, he went on to confess to 2 other murders. He also plead guilty at trials in Suffolk & Westchester counties. He said he felt horrible & apologized to victims' families upon his initial arrest. The only appeal is in his case was for a reduction of his death penalty sentencing. His brother also plead guilty in helping dispose of bodies and was sentenced to prison time. Yes SCPD is riddled with corruption. IMO it is probably one of the most corrupt in the country. But do I believe every LE officer there is corrupt, certainly not. And I do believe they got it right with Shulman. JMO

I've spent a few minutes googling and so far everything I can find is problematic for the prosecution.

1) He supposedly had quite a bit of cash in his bank account. Detectives said they did not know where the money came from.

I remember in the '80s running into an old friend who had spent a while smoking crack. He had a great job, making a lot of money, but he spent every last cent, down to the penny, on crack. Years later in the 2000s I remember another guy who had a family and a fair amount of money until he got into crack. When I met him he had nothing but debts. He told me in some length how fast the money went and what a drop.

So... Shulman had a sum of money in his bank account that would have been consistent with him having saved a fair amount of his earnings from a 30k a year postal job. He didn't have a lot more or a lot less, he had about what you would expect for somebody who was a thrifty saver. And yet, he was smoking crack with prostitutes at least from '91 until he was 'caught'? I doubt it.

2) Sorry to use statistics, but there are problems with the bodies attributed to him. Two unidentifieds that closed sticky cases? A person should be skeptical.

3) Several of the bodies, and possibly all of them, are most certainly associated with other bodies the police were aware of but which he was not charged with. Highly problematic.

4) Victim found Dec 1994 had her leg severed midway between the knee and groin. This has implications that would only have been ignored by the prosecution for a reason.

5) Sorry for statistics again, but finding 1 body in a dumpster that somebody rummaged through to find a lottery ticked suggests that there were several bodies placed in dumpsters that were not rummaged through.

etc

The confession far crosses into the absurd. It is a bunch of big kids trying to get a little kid to admit something absurd, but they don't even have a sense of the ridiculousness.

In his own handwriting, defendant also inscribed three photographs from the Bunting investigation (two of the dumpster where Kelly Sue Bunting's remains were discovered; one of her body at the morgue) with statements admitting to his dismemberment and disposal of the body, and signed his name.

That's theater, not confession and

When one of the detectives suggested to defendant that he should "[g]et away from the lie about blacking out, [which was] just not believable," he agreed, stating that he had not blacked out but instead had "just lost control" and sometimes felt anger and rage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire case seems to rest on the following

on April 7 and April 8, 1996 the police executed a search warrant for defendant's room, which was photographed, partially disassembled and transported to various divisions of the crime lab. There they discovered evidence of drug use, baking soda, calcium carbonate, air fresheners, carpet cleaners, and hundreds of apparent bloodstains on the walls, ceilings and surfaces of practically every freestanding item. Through DNA analyses, various stains were determined to be consistent with the DNA profiles of Jane Doe Medford, Lisa Ann Warner or Kelly Sue Bunting.

My guess would be that the forensics were managed by the same person who handled Bittrolff's forensics, that Shuler's lawyer who was also Bittrolff's lawyer, gave the forensics crew adequate cover in court, and that all of the crime scene photographs from Shuler's case were 'lost'.

edit to add

One last point and then I will drop this.

On reviewing the legal type papers online, it is clear that his defense was not based on facts but on technicalities. In other words the defense tried to portray him as a guilty person trying to 'use the law' to escape punishment.

Two other cases, Bittrolff and Esar Met or 'Samar' who was convicted of killing Hser Ner Moo in Salt Lake city, have the same feature.

The question a person should ask first is whether or not the person is actually factually guilty. Not whether their rights were violated in this or that way, which only serves as a distraction to cloud the issues.

Was Shuler crazy? Who cares, that was his business. Was he improperly treated with regard to the law, perhaps pressured into confessing? He may have been, but again not relevent to his guilt.

Was he actually guilty? The evidence is very strong that he did not commit all of the murders attributed to him, and further research may indicate that he commited none of them.

I'm burned out on this stuff for now but will follow the issue and hope that somebody does honest research on it.

We will have to agree to disagree on this issue. Lol

If anybody is interested in statistics, here is another bit. Then I drop it.

The Suffolk County District Attorney, James M. Catterson, said he was pleased with the jury's decision. ''This case cried out from the beginning for the death penalty,'' he said. ''I think the defining moment for me was when DNA evidence indicated that there were five more victims, and we did not find all of the bodies. This man was a killing machine.''

Somebody was preparing the crime scene to account for bodies that had not been found yet. Where is the dna from those bodies they were waiting for?

Some links for anybody to research.

http://pix11.com/2016/05/12/as-suff...clusive-details-of-alleged-acts-are-revealed/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...nt-fall-of-long-islands-dirtiest-police-chief

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...burke-s-past-would-lead-to-scandal-1.11752916

Bellone and his transition team received an anonymous letter with disturbing information about James Burke, the man he wanted to appoint as the new police chief. The letter included specific allegations of misconduct and warned Bellone to bypass the ex-Suffolk County police officer and district attorney chief investigator: Burke “was known to frequent prostitutes” and “committed at least one armed home invasion” to retrieve a service weapon stolen from him by a prostitute. He interfered with an Internal Affairs investigation into an officer accused of assault. He used damaging information gleaned from a wiretap as leverage to control Bellone’s predecessor, Steve Levy. And he “threatens subordinates with forced transfers, and tells them he is untouchable and that they have no protection and that he will ruin their career forever.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/03/...the-defensive-as-federal-inquiry-expands.html

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/newsday/questions_swirl_around_bellones_support_of_burke/

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...mas-spota-will-leave-under-a-cloud-1.13627301

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one to research for anybody bored

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...d-the-suffolk-county-sniper-suspect-1.1873475

"He was forthright and relatively open to investigators," said Det. Lt. John Gierasch, commander of Suffolk's homicide squad, which cracked the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/29/nyregion/man-charged-as-the-sniper-in-li-attacks.html

But the police said he had been ruled out in sniper attacks on the Southern State Highway in Nassau County in June.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2002-10-08/news/0210080183_1_suffolk-sniper-luck

Police in Suffolk County on Long Island soon determined they had in their midst one of the rarest and most worrisome of killers - a random serial sniper. "They're very uncommon, thank god," said John McElhone of the Suffolk County Police Department, who led the investigation of the "Suffolk Sniper" case. "When you don't know where to look, you have to look at everything."

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/sniper-aimed-wow-stripper-article-1.710052

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/09/28/n...ced-for-94-shootings-in-which-a-man-died.html

Mr. Sylvester had also been charged with raping and sodomizing the girl, but the charges were reduced to burglary in the plea agreement worked out with James M. Catterson, the Suffolk County District Attorney.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/25/nyregion/sniper-injures-2-motorists-in-nassau.html

Wait. There have been about two snipers in the past 100 years on Long Island, and both of them were sniping in June and July 1994? And police caught "one of them" who confessed after being "interviewed" and he is excluded from being 'the other' sniper because what? Alibi? Very unlikely.

There are a mountain of people convicted in that court in that time period, all with ironclad confessions and dna evidence. The FBI does not go after police corruption generally because it undermines confidence in the police, unless there is substantial publicity. So there is plenty of evidence of something extensively not right, but there is no chance that any of those dozens of convictions will be reviewed, and the feds are sure to sugarcoat the broader corruption issue when they finally get around to indicting a few retired and dead people.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ert-macedonio-new-details-of-probe-1.11789974

Those instructions included recording all calls between Macedonio and William Keahon, another prominent defense attorney with political connections.
Keahon did not respond to several messages seeking comment.

Add

Sorry, yes, agree to disagree is fine

Many here talk of the women being stalked beforehand...I which way were they stalked according to police records or their own admissions. I haven't seen much in the news talking about what methods are/were used to do such.

Many here talk of the women being stalked beforehand...I which way were they stalked according to police records or their own admissions. I haven't seen much in the news talking about what methods are/were used to do such.
I believe that melissa felt like she was being followed bit im not sure about the others. I dont know all the particulars but does not surprise me that lisk is a watcher stalker. Stalkers are dangerous and often suffer from ocd. Lisk sure shows signs of phone ocd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There is a difference between stalking and 'selecting', which might be relevent. There are a few indications that the women might have been 'selected' by somebody who had access to a database. In other words they were not randomly seen or randomly picked up then targeted.

You probably should look at police records with skepticism, in other words they are valuable information as long as you know what their value is, and it may not be face value.

OMG I hadn't heard of this case. What a complete travesty of justice.

The deputy picked a Mexican national accidentally, who may have been registered with their Consulate or something, and so the Consulate got involved and then they kept pushing the issue and finally somebody made a tv show about the case, so it was well known.

Unfortunate for the deputy, since he imagined he was killing a wetback or whatever and nobody would notice. He did lose his job I believe.

add
Which means now he's probably a deputy a few towns over.

Another famous case that has parallels probably to the lisk case is the so called cannibal cop case.

Most people have one narrative of that story, something like "a twisted infividual became a cop, the 'good cops' tried to arrest him but he escaped justice."

That's not what happened at all though, and it may be helpful to some people realizing what the problem is, so I'll rattle on another lengthy post.

Anywhere where you have a so called 'macho' mentality in a work place there are a few different groups.

a) The most common are the workaday people who try to do their job and play games minimally. These people almost always yield to the pressures put on them.

b) The so called 'macho' types who live only as part of the gang. Their identity is entirely a group thing built around their image.

c) People who aspire to 'fit in' with the power group. These people will do anything to become accepted, and police, like gangs, test these individuals, make sure they are loyal to the gang above all else, and mentor them.

d) People who do not respect the gang mentality and try to enforce a more individual mentality, usually by poking fun at the gangsters.

The 'cannibal cop' was in this last group. Anybody who has worked in that environment recognizes his comments as a brand of humor or mocking the local culture, in this case police culture. People who have not worked in that kind of environment don't see what is going on.

The "cannibal cop" was mocking the "tough guy" gangster cops. He was commiting the most serious offense, disrespecting their primary value, which is, circularly, respecting them. So in that culture he did something worse than any typical crime, including murder etc, which could be forgiven. The only unforgiveable crime, what puts a person past any chance of redemption, is not respecting the gang's social values etc.

A lot of people looked at that case and knew exactly what was going on, and also knew that the gangsters trying to set him up were extremely dangerous to challenge so they would be successful in steamrolling judges or whoever was required to validate their bizarre justice. But a lot of other people, most people, were clueless.

How is this relevent to lisk? Most likely the main killer is a cop that is at the top of the plastic punk hierarchy in his police group. He might have lost his job due to alcohol or drug use in such a way that his job was unsaveable by his friends, and those pals then had even more obligation to protect him, even follow him.

That would be my bet.

One last point I'll make since I have hijacked this thread, anybody over the age of 30 who participated in any way whatsoever in the cannibal cop farce should be unemployed or in jail. People who ignore the evidence in the lisk case, or who play along with farces like the Bittrolff prosecution should be their jailors. Two birds /

I'm convinced that James Burke is the LISK, or at least one of several people who were involved. He was busted for having a known prostitute in his police car while on duty in '93 (or '96, I don't remember off the top of my head). Two years later, a dismembered prostitute was found in the area. I believe the "thrill" of killing was his main motive, but also to cover up his corrupt activities (escorts and drug activity). Perhaps the victims were the women he felt might bring heat on him; and the fact that he was close to Spota made it easier for him to do such things because he thought he was untouchable. And then there's the comment he made to Chris Loeb, threatening to give him a fatal heroin overdose and make it look like an accident. How did Shannon Gilbert die? Did she make that 911 call immediately upon realizing that she was deliberately overdosed by someone?

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Not sure if this has been posted but this is currently at Gilgo.FullSizeRender.jpg

Somebody posted a report by an investigator or law firm on the previous thread that concludes that the 'police surgeon' was involved in the disappearance of the girl who police say died in an unrelated murder.

The problem with police theories so far is that the police may have more motive to lie than to tell the truth.

1) Burke and others did manage things by force, including blackmail, etc. When a small group of people are involved in something like that, and they are the apex predators in their environment, their crimes tend to grow and grow. When one amongst them has some dark apetite, the others can be trusted to support it and they do things as a group that in normal society would be limited to individual criminals or ill people. So, if a serial killer were going to be 'a group of people', that is more likely than usual with lisk.

2) One kind of crime that is rarely in the news but probably more common than people would like to think is kidnapping a victim, keeping them alive for whatever purpose, then killing them. It seems like if a typical serial killer had the option, most would probably go that route. So, it seems like if a serial killer has no resources, then there is no chance to keep their victim prisoner, but when they have much more resources that option becomes likely, or at least more likely. So maybe determining whether 'lisk' has little resources or greater resources might start with determining if 'he or they' kept victims alive.

3) There are two sets of telephone calls in these killings, as far as I know.
a) One person called a victim's family and others and gave information that seems like it might have indicated the victim had been kept alive for a while. This victim was directly associated with other victims.
b) When Shannon Gilbert disappeared, if she had been 'almost abducted' then the abductor would have expected a lot of investigation. She called 911 and talked with them for a long time. Apparently shortly after that she was 'taken in' by the doctor and heavily medicated in 'a wayward girls home'. The doctor of course would have expected some investigation by family, police etc. She called 911, went screaming door to door, ended up sedated in some house of his. The question is whether he called the family in order to prevent further search, or simply to let the family know she was there. As it turns out there was no further search for a while, no real interest in responding to the 911 call, but he would not have expected that, normally a 911 call like that would be investigated.

4) When Shannon was at his 'home for wayward girls', obviously she would have been sedated. She would not willingly go from 'they're trying to kill me' to 'sure I'll sleep next door with their neighbors without calling anybody else' unless she had been controlled somehow.

5) The astonishing bad luck of that girl, to first be in a house where she felt threatened enough to dial 911 and run screaming, then to go outside and be subdued somehow, incapacitated in such a way that she would have been available physically, if somebody had followed up, but she somehow was unable to call anybody nor answer follow ups from 911. But beyond that is the boldness of the doctor to a) subdue or take control or responsibility for her, if his intentions were good, or b) to use his reputation as a doctor to provide cover for some crime, if that was the case. In the latter, if it was a crime and he was using his status to cover something, he would not have taken such a bold step unless he had a lot of power to back him up. If a crime was involved then it would mean he put everything on the line to cover the actions of an unknown second party and trusted strongly that he would get cover from a third party. Total speculation but if he was involved then it would mean probably lisk is a group of people covering each other.

There is little doubt that Burke would have participated in a group like that if he thought it benefited him, also that he seemed to create compromising situations for powerful people and might have used a group like that the same way Spota used him in 1979.

Great post! As clickbait articles say: Number 4 blew my mind!

I

Its almost 7 yrs since remains have been found on the pkwy. Does anyone believe an arrest will be made in this case? I dont. To much time has gone by. Theres no way to know whats on the minds of LE. It doesnt really matter. Nothing will come of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back