MS MS - Leigh Occhi, 13, Tupelo, 27 Aug 1992

What bothers me about this is that I have read on the Charley Project site that it was her first time home alone but then her mother said they had a special code system for when she called her and stated it like it was something that they used frequently.

My first thought was that the mother sent the glasses to her estranged husband in hopes that he would open the package, get his fingerprints on the glasses, and then the mother could plant them somewhere to frame him. Come home, Leigh. It's been too long...

What if there wasn't an intruder? Maybe Leigh tripped and hit her head on the doorframe, and sliced it open on the little metal plate that keeps the door closed. She could have knocked herself out and gotten a concussion which could lead to her freaking out that there was blood everywhere, and she might have tried to clean up the mess. As she continued losing blood, she might have thought clearly enough to get outside and try to get herself to somewhere for help. She lived in a pretty wooded area from what I've read, and she could have gotten scared and lost and hidden herself in some brush as the storm came through.

This is just a thought I had, I do think the mom isn't telling us everything, but I think what she's not saying could be something like she found her daughter's glasses in the house, and sent them to her estranged husband for some cruel reason.

What if there wasn't an intruder? Maybe Leigh tripped and hit her head on the doorframe, and sliced it open on the little metal plate that keeps the door closed. She could have knocked herself out and gotten a concussion which could lead to her freaking out that there was blood everywhere, and she might have tried to clean up the mess. As she continued losing blood, she might have thought clearly enough to get outside and try to get herself to somewhere for help. She lived in a pretty wooded area from what I've read, and she could have gotten scared and lost and hidden herself in some brush as the storm came through.

This is just a thought I had, I do think the mom isn't telling us everything, but I think what she's not saying could be something like she found her daughter's glasses in the house, and sent them to her estranged husband for some cruel reason.
I think the mother killed the girl and staged the abduction. I think she used the missing sleeping bag as a body bag. I also think Leigh was stone cold dead before the school day started.
The original plan was probably to have the grandmother discover Leigh missing; maybe the grandmother reneged on picking Leigh up, and that's why the mother went back home to "make the discovery" herself.

http://www.wtva.com/story/35372432/leigh-occhis-longtime-disappearance-remains-a-mystery

Another rehashing of the case. You can definitely tell who the reporter thinks is responsible.
Many people who claim to have been a classmate of Occhi say she would come to school with bruises and was very timid.

This is along the lines of what I've heard too. Was Occhi's mother in the military at one time? I want to say that I'd heard something like that. Some type of job that would help her know how to dispose of a body well.

I can't believe there isn't evidence on or in the package that was sent. Was it taped shut? Often times a fingerprint will be on the underside of the tape.

Has anyone listened to the new podcast out about this?
Yes, It didnt bring anything new to the case other than what I believe was a mistaken sighting by the narrators own mother in law.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...9e6e4b0dc592a0d8f0b?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

Mississippi Teen’s Mysterious Disappearance Examined In New Podcast
Makers of “13: The Search for Leigh Occhi” delve into the 1992 cold case.

"Twenty-five years ago, as Hurricane Andrew bore down on northeast Mississippi, a teenage girl vanished without a trace in the town of Tupelo. She wasn’t a casualty of Mother Nature. She was, according to police, a victim of a cold and calculating individual who took advantage of the chaos caused by the storm.

The hurricane, which was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reached Tupelo, left no permanent mark on Tupelo, which is best known as the birthplace of Elvis Presley. However, the disappearance of 13-year-old Leigh Marine Occhi did, and it still hangs like a thick cloud over the city.

For more than two decades, authorities have dissected and combed through the evidence. Theories and suspicions abound, but the teenager has yet to be found.

Still, there is hope for resolution. The case is now being analyzed in a new podcast, titled “13: The Search for Leigh Occhi,” which is being released episodically by local NBC affiliate WTVA News.

“There’s a lot of apparent coincidence in this tale,” WTVA’s Jason Lee Usry says in the preview episode of the podcast, which can be found on iTunes or SoundCloud. “A lot of coincidence, a great deal of mysterious behavior, and somewhere within one of the players in this story, a terrifying level of cruelty.”

The Generation Why podcast has now covered this case.

I just don't see what motive the mom would have had to kill her own daughter.
Fit of Rage. Sometimes that's the only motive there is. Everything leads back to Vickie. According to Leigh's dad. Kearns was officially cleared as a suspect by LE.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Fit of Rage. Sometimes that's the only motive there is. Everything leads back to Vickie. According to Leigh's dad. Kearns was officially cleared as a suspect by LE.

After listening to the podcast 13: The Search for Leigh Occhi, I am thinking that Kearns is the guy. There is another case of a missing young woman in the general area. Kearns is connected to both her and Leigh. Kearns went to church with Leigh, worked with this other young woman and then later abducted and raped a third young girl. That makes him prime suspect to me.

How would Kearns know she was home alone? She was staying home from school and had never been left alone before? I lean heavily toward the mother, because of the frequent bruises and injuries, among other things.

Wasn't the mother in the military? If regular joes can adapt to these high-stress situations, I sure as hell bet someone with military training can. Once the initial shock was over, she found her bearings and staged her daughter's disappearance.

I doubt it was premeditated. Probably typical mother/teenage daughter fireworks that escalated and the daughter got hurt. She bagged her up in the sleeping bag and dumped her somewhere.

I agree with another poster that she purposely addressed the package to the stepdad to try to frame him.

How would Kearns know she was home alone? She was staying home from school and had never been left alone before? I lean heavily toward the mother, because of the frequent bruises and injuries, among other things.

He went to church with her. This was not a huge city. Its a relatively small town made even smaller by the church association. If he had been watching/stalking that would make it even easier to have known.

When was Kearns cleared as a suspect? From everything I have read he would not talk to them and they had no evidence directly connecting him, so there was nothing they could do.

Just listened to the podcast. Honestly, I am torn on who I would focus on as the prime suspect. I thought for sure it would be Kearn but ultimately it was the mother's insistence that she is still alive that makes me torn. Seems to me like a type of denial, maybe to help ease her compartmentalization.

I wonder which parent paid for those glasses and if that was a possible point of contention between the parents- maybe it was sent as a jab. ‍♀️
Of course this is all just my speculation after hearing the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back