IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa.

http://www.wthr.com/article/former-...view-is-critical-job-for-delphi-investigators

"Others who have described Nations to Eyewitness News say he’s a man with a volatile temper who once chased a Martinsville man with a hatchet. Now Nations is charged with menacing and reckless endangerment in Colorado for allegedly threatening people with a hatchet there.

Back in Indiana, after a disagreement on a farm where he worked, "all of a sudden some pigs came up slaughtered," Hunter said."

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Wrong DN, the one in question's middle name is James. That doesn't mean they couldn't be related though. It's not unheard of for people to visit relatives in other states. MOO
I've seen middle names wrong on these search engines before.

Still looking for an Iowa connection.

I do know that LE in A & L's case have looked at a link between these cases. They are not officially isolated cases. Fwiw.

Here's one thing I'm wondering about.

According to this article (near the bottom), DN's grandmother said "...she raised Nations since he was 6, but she hasn't seen or talked to him in at least five years, after she asked him and his wife to move off of her property. They were gone the next morning, she said."

Later in 2012 he shows up in Florida.

I would like to know exactly when he moved out of his grandmother's. 2017 minus five years is 2012, though it sounds like that might not be a precise date.

The Indiana girls' murder happens around the same time he was going through family turmoil and was kicked out of the place he had been living

I dunno. I'm still not sure what I think about the evidence relating to this guy. There's a lot that fits but he also seems too sloppy and disorganized to have gotten away with anything for very long.

If DN is found to be responsible for Abby and Libby's deaths, I am sure LE will try very hard to find out DN's location in July of 2012. Has LE in Iowa ever said whether they have DNA evidence in Lyric and Lizzy's case? If they don't then perhaps the only way their case will be solved is with a confession.

If DN is found to be responsible for Abby and Libby's deaths, I am sure LE will try very hard to find out DN's location in July of 2012. Has LE in Iowa ever said whether they have DNA evidence in Lyric and Lizzy's case? If they don't then perhaps the only way their case will be solved is with a confession.

They haven't, but Indiana's LE said in an interview that they were having trouble refuting or confirming a connection because Lyric and Lizzie weren't found right away, which to me implies either no DNA, or insufficient to make a firm match.

I would think it would be entirely possible to build a convincing circumstantial case.

Close enough to be creepy, imo.

If the dates are in fact relevant to the perp, he may be unable to find the " right/ appropriate " victim on the " right/appropriate " date, settling for as close to the desired date as possible.
complete speculation, imo.

Maybe it's not the actual date but something that happens around the middle of the month, like a check that doesn't arrive or something like that?

Maybe it's not the actual date but something that happens around the middle of the month, like a check that doesn't arrive or something like that?

Exactly, or check/whatever does arrive and he can then do things like drink/drugs/prostitutes and travel, which likely leads to fights with sig./other.
Family or parole visits scheduled prior to, or following crimes, ect?

just speculation, imo.
Maybe even s/o has female cycle at that time causes strong reaction from possibly female-hating perp?

Quoting a post from Libby and Abby's thread:
A few more details for the travels of DN.
Graduated from Chesnee HS in SC 2003
Checked in as RSO in Spartanburg County until 2012. This is where Chesnee is located.
(source for above notes: https://rccatalyst.com/index.php/20...uate-being-investigated-for-multiple-murders/ )
Grandma indicated she had not heard from him for 5 years, ever since she asked them to move off her property. 5 years ago is 2012. http://gazette.com/wife-grandmother...rman-hatchet-threats-speak-up/article/1612025
SC RSO database indicates conviction was June 2007. http://scor.sled.sc.gov/OffenderDetails.aspx?Display=Main&Id=1373981
Spartanburg County indicates DN moved to Florida in 2012. http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/36...tate-questioned-in-slaying-of-2-indiana-teens
Checked in with Florida August, 2012. http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=80306

It appears he either moved out of his grandmother's home in Chesnee, or was kicked out, some time in 2012. Not clear when, but he checked in with Florida LE in August.

Which is the same pattern as has been identified around Libby and Abby's deaths. He and his family were evicted from the place they were living not long before the murders, and they moved to a distant state (Colorado) shortly after that.

That's hardly conclusive. But there's quite a long list of things that could be connections, or could fit the pattern, and very little in the way of evidence against it.

It's so hard to wait and see...

I wonder if there's any way to find out if DN had access to an older, white, full size SUV on July 13, 2012?

I'm not sure if they ever said specifically but after six months, I think it's a safe assumption.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I think you've made a pretty valid assumption -- here is some info on decomposition to skeleton:

Wescott does his work with human remains in central Texas, where temperatures can average in the 90s during the summer months. In the intense sun, the bodies “mummify pretty quickly, within about three months,” he said. “Then it takes a long time for them to decay past that. In shaded areas, after three to four months, they become a skeleton.” In general — though not always — he’s found that bodies decompose faster in hotter, more humid climes than in colder, drier spots.

This is true not only for human remains but animal remains as well, Wescott added.
Though we don’t know precisely how long it takes many specific animals to decay, we do have some numbers: A large whale could take up to 16 years to become skeletonized, according to a Nature paper about carrion. Small animals like a pig or a rat take a few days. Human remains, as Wescott mention above, take at least three months.

https://weather.com/science/news/flesh-bone-what-role-weather-plays-body-decomposition-20131031

I wonder if there's any way to find out if DN had access to an older, white, full size SUV on July 13, 2012?
That's a good question.

DNs obsession with people on bikes and trails, not to mention the woods, makes me suspicious of him.

Some pigs turned up slaughtered on a farm he was working for after he had an argument. He worked for a lot of different farmers, and has an interest in carpentry. Still searching for any links to Iowa.

Bumping the girls up to page 1. I wish we had something new to discuss.

BTW, I don't feel DN is connected to this case in any way. JMO

Seven Bridges is the key to solving Lizzy and Lyric's murders. I don't think DN would have knowledge of Seven Bridges unless he was local.

Reading some older articles, I came across this statement from Dan regarding Klunder:

Collins' father, Drew Collins, did not think Klunder kidnapped his daughter and her cousin, he said Wednesday night.

"I kind of didn't think it was him anyway from the way (police) were talking," Collins said. "And it was so far of a distance away."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-michael-klunder-ruled-out-evansdale/9104893/

"And it was so far of a distance away" to me reinforces that Dan believes the perp is local too. Or was local.

Sorry. That should be Drew NOT Dan in the above post!

This stretch of Hwy 20 was under construction at the time, but I don’t remember if if was completely closed, or if traffic was still passing through. I remember discussing the road construction workers that were living (camping) at nearby Deerwood Park with my Mom, when we found out the girls had gone missing.

Oh yes, I can definitely tell the area has been cleared out of greenery and opened up more from what it looked like when the girls disappeared. I do plan to reread all the threads again just because I think it will be interesting to read them with the real visuals in my head now. Does anyone offhand remember off the chain link fence was in place in between the interstate hill and the trail when Lyric and Lizzy went missing? My head says no because I think I originally had wondered if someone had stopped on the road and went down the hill to to trail. I'm not so sure that could have happened without numerous witnesses now, after seeing the traffic on that road. Anyways, I'll be back after I have a readathon to refresh! ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This stretch of Hwy 20 was under construction at the time, but I don’t remember if if was completely closed, or if traffic was still passing through. I remember discussing the road construction workers that were living (camping) at nearby Deerwood Park with my Mom, when we found out the girls had gone missing.

From my recollection, the traffic was still going through. Thank-you for sharing the info about where the construction workers were camping. I did not know this.

Do any of the locals remember the name of the construction company assigned to work on the highway at that time? It has always been an angle I was interested in.

WG

The thing about construction crews, contract and temporary workers, seasonal workers, sales and service crews that travel a regular or semiregular circuit, delivery drivers, and a wide range of other people with similarly flexible lifestyles is that they very quickly become familiar with the local area--sometimes more familiar than the locals, who tend to stick with their routine and not go very far outside of it. And they tend to exchange information among themselves -- what's a good place to eat, stay, go for a walk, or whatever. Where can I camp that the cops won't hassle me? Is this or that route a good shortcut to where I'm going?

And that doesn't even count the people who might have grown up there or lived there for a time and moved on.

I'm not saying Drew is wrong. But the pool of "local" is always way bigger than most actual permanent locals think it is.

If I remember correctly, there was two-way traffic on the westbound lanes while the eastbound lanes were being worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23