NC NC - Abby Patterson, 20, Lumberton, 5 Sept 2017

Article from today: http://wpde.com/news/local/lumberton-police-looking-for-missing-woman

Police say her disappearance isn't connected to the deaths of three women around that same area.

How on earth could they be so sure of that at this point?

I am from Raleigh and am very familiar with the area due to my previous profession. Robeson county is one of the poorest counties in the state and drug issues are rampant. It's also an interesting county politically due to the Lumbee tribe and the racial makeup of the county. I don't want to claim that there's a lot of corruption because I can't say that as a fact, but there's definitely a lot of questionable stuff that goes on in the county both in private businesses and government. Sadly, I wouldn't trust Robeson County LE as far as I could throw them. None of the higher profile disappearances or murders that have occurred there in recent years have been solved.

How on earth could they be so sure of that at this point?

I am from Raleigh and am very familiar with the area due to my previous profession. Robeson county is one of the poorest counties in the state and drug issues are rampant. It's also an interesting county politically due to the Lumbee tribe and the racial makeup of the county. I don't want to claim that there's a lot of corruption because I can't say that as a fact, but there's definitely a lot of questionable stuff that goes on in the county both in private businesses and government. Sadly, I wouldn't trust Robeson County LE as far as I could throw them. None of the higher profile disappearances or murders that have occurred there in recent years have been solved.

I also have family ties to that area, and everything you say is correct. It's hard to explain how corrupt, poor, and addicted the whole area is, if you've never been connected to it. It's a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in an adjoining county which is one of the reasons I am having difficulty with the LE info in these cases. [FONT=&amp]The population of Lumberton has grown to 21,542 in the 2010 census from 20,795 in the 2000 census. Not a big city by any means and surely not large enough for all of these incidents to be coincidence. However our Barney Fife local PD’s usually look at drug and sex worker deaths as a positive that is cleaning up the community instead of a crime worthy of a lot of resources.

I ran across the two similar cases from 2015 in Lumberton and in 2016 Hurricane Matthew flooded the area and every body found in it’s aftermath was credited to it. The county I live in is in the center of the triangle between, Wilminton, Fayetteville, and Lumberton, NC. All three have locals believing there is a serial killer in the area due to the bodies of marginalized women found but no one looks at them all together. My county has not had any. But we don’t have a city large enough to attract many ppl. If I need to do more than grocery shopping or lowe’s Hardware we have to go to one of these 3 cities.

Lumberton is right on I-95 Fayetteville has Fort Bragg and I-40 runs to Wilmington. There has been a serial killer in Rocky Mount NC in recent years but the victims there do not match these victims. When I say that the area in Lumberton is a hotbed of drugs and Prostitution I mean HOTBED. Unfortunately a young woman in daisy dukes would easily be mistaken for a participant. (not saying she was wearing them).

Do we need a second thread for the bodies or what help me out fellow sleuthers[/FONT]

I live in an adjoining county which is one of the reasons I am having difficulty with the LE info in these cases. [FONT=&quot]The population of Lumberton has grown to 21,542 in the 2010 census from 20,795 in the 2000 census. Not a big city by any means and surely not large enough for all of these incidents to be coincidence. However our Barney Fife local PD’s usually look at drug and sex worker deaths as a positive that is cleaning up the community instead of a crime worthy of a lot of resources.

I ran across the two similar cases from 2015 in Lumberton and in 2016 Hurricane Matthew flooded the area and every body found in it’s aftermath was credited to it. The county I live in is in the center of the triangle between, Wilminton, Fayetteville, and Lumberton, NC. All three have locals believing there is a serial killer in the area due to the bodies of marginalized women found but no one looks at them all together. My county has not had any. But we don’t have a city large enough to attract many ppl. If I need to do more than grocery shopping or lowe’s Hardware we have to go to one of these 3 cities.

Lumberton is right on I-85 Fayetteville has Fort Bragg and I-40 runs to Wilmington. There has been a serial killer in Rocky Mount NC in recent years but the victims there do not match these victims. When I say that the area in Lumberton is a hotbed of drugs and Prostitution I mean HOTBED. Unfortunately a young woman in daisy dukes would easily be mistaken for a participant. (not saying she was wearing them).

Do we need a second thread for the bodies or what help me out fellow sleuthers[/FONT]

I agree there needs to be a thread set up to track the victims discovered in Robeson and Cumberland counties, if there hasn't been one set up already.

I currently live in Myrtle Beach but I grew up in Dillon SC (about 30 miles away)... so I'm very familiar with the area. The number of female bodies that have been discovered in Lumberton, and elsewhere in Robeson County, over the last few years is incredibly disturbing. If I remember correctly, there was a cluster of females discovered in 2015 and then the cluster that was discovered back in April. These are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. The bodies discovered in April were all found in, or around, vacant properties in the same neighborhood. There is even one article that quotes Megan Oxendine speaking about the bodies that were found in her neighborhood back in April, and then her body was discovered two months later in June.

https://www.google.com/amp/wncn.com...rd-woman-found-dead-in-same-neighborhood/amp/

I also know many people who believe an active serial killer lives in the area. It's all very alarming.

According to her FB page she moved to Charlotte, NC in September 2016 - the month she became sober.
She posted 5 months sober in February. That's the 1st time she did that. But that's the last time she did that too - not 6 months, 7 months, etc. 1 year should have been big in September.
She started dating her boyfriend in April 2017. (He lives in Lancaster, SC, close to Charlotte).
August 18th she moved back to Jacksonville, FL.
August 25th she posts about repeating self destructive behaviors, her mom 'likes' with a sad face.
September 4th she went to Holden beach (Near Wilmington, not far from Lumberton) with her mom, grandma and sister.
Went missing the next day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I wonder if the police are attempting to throw someone off their trail when they say she has no connection to the other girls? I just think it was a very quick response, unless they have proof of something else and they aren’t wanting to reveal that yet. I hope they have checked local hospitals and rehabs (in the event she found herself needing help), assuming there was addiction of any kind.

I hope and pray that she is getting help for something and didn’t want to disclose that right away, and nothing more sinister is at play.

I wonder if the police are attempting to throw someone off their trail when they say she has no connection to the other girls? I just think it was a very quick response, unless they have proof of something else and they aren’t wanting to reveal that yet. I hope they have checked local hospitals and rehabs (in the event she found herself needing help), assuming there was addiction of any kind.

I hope and pray that she is getting help for something and didn’t want to disclose that right away, and nothing more sinister is at play.
Sadly, I think they just want people to believe that's the case so they don't feel the heat to catch a serial killer.

I live in an adjoining county which is one of the reasons I am having difficulty with the LE info in these cases. [FONT=&amp]The population of Lumberton has grown to 21,542 in the 2010 census from 20,795 in the 2000 census. Not a big city by any means and surely not large enough for all of these incidents to be coincidence. However our Barney Fife local PD’s usually look at drug and sex worker deaths as a positive that is cleaning up the community instead of a crime worthy of a lot of resources.

Lumberton is right on I-95 Fayetteville has Fort Bragg and I-40 runs to Wilmington. There has been a serial killer in Rocky Mount NC in recent years but the victims there do not match these victims. When I say that the area in Lumberton is a hotbed of drugs and Prostitution I mean HOTBED. Unfortunately a young woman in daisy dukes would easily be mistaken for a participant. (not saying she was wearing them).

Yes! I will help as much as my 8 month old will allow me to :) These girls need someone to advocate for them- even if it's just us!

According to her FB page she moved to Charlotte, NC in September 2016 - the month she became sober.
She posted 5 months sober in February. That's the 1st time she did that. But that's the last time she did that too - not 6 months, 7 months, etc. 1 year should have been big in September.
She started dating her boyfriend in April 2017. (He lives in Lancaster, SC, close to Charlotte).
August 18th she moved back to Jacksonville, FL.
August 25th she posts about repeating self destructive behaviors, her mom 'likes' with a sad face.
September 4th she went to Holden beach (Near Wilmington, not far from Lumberton) with her mom, grandma and sister.
Went missing the next day.

great post. Says A LOT.

IMO. I am sad for what she was dealing with, "repeating self destructive behaviors". And don't have a good feeling. =(

[h=1]North Carolina mystery: Woman missing in town where 3 found dead[/h]
Capt. Terry Parker of the Lumberton Police told CBS News' Crimesider that investigators do not think that Patterson's disappearance is related the deaths of Megan Ann Oxendine, 28, Christina Bennett, 32, and Rhonda Jones, 36, who were all found dead in an area between East Fifth and East Ninth streets. WNCN reports that Bennett and Jones' bodies were discovered April 18 and Oxedine's on June 3.

Bennett's body was found in a house. Jones' body was in a trash can. And Oxendine's body was behind a house.
Parker said that although autopsies of the women's bodies have been completed, the bodies were so badly decomposed that a medical examiner has not yet determined their causes of death.
"We aren't sure if (the three women's deaths) are related, but we are considering it," Parker said in June.
The FBI is assisting in the investigation into the women's deaths. Lumberton, located in between Wilmington and Charlotte, has about 21,000 people.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abby-p...an-missing-in-town-where-3-others-found-dead/

Parker said that before she disappeared, Patterson had been discharged from drug rehab and come to town to visit her mom. He said she called an acquaintance to pick her up and has not been heard from since. He called the case an "active missing person" investigation and said they have "no information, not even a rumor" that Patterson is deceased.

WNCN reports that authorities are offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads them to Patterson.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abby-p...an-missing-in-town-where-3-others-found-dead/

BBM. So much for the denials of drug use. I suspect she is connected to the others, JMO. Hope I'm wrong. Incredibly sad.

The mother of one of the earlier Victims stated that she was battling drug addiction. http://www.fayobserver.com/news/201...with-daughter-who-was-found-dead-in-trash-can. Another of the earlier victims was friends with one of the other victims. http://www.robesonian.com/news/9976...on-following-april-18-discovery-of-two-bodies. Another article (and I'll post the link if I can find it again) quoted a friend of the third victim as stating her friend and she had previously shared an issue with drugs. There were no signs of truma on the first three bodies according to the preliminary autopsy. http://wpde.com/news/local/police-investigation-into-deaths-of-three-lumberton-women-has-stalled

All of the bodies were found in an area that the police said is known for prostitution and drug use. http://www.robesonian.com/news/98422/police-identify-2-women-found-dead-last-week

In my opinion, the first three aren't the work of a serial killer, which should give the community a little sense of relief as they search for this 4th young lady.

I wonder what the autopsies of these women showed for COD? Mom called LE (news article in post #34) fairly quickly, imo, for a 20 yr-old that was gone for only an hour. She must of had some concerns when she left in the buick? moo and I not trying to sleuth mom or imply anything negative towards her. I can only imagine what she is going through right now.

When trying to piece together he movements prior to going missing, it seemed really obvious she was back home because she had been in rehab or had relapsed in Jacksonville and was going home where she would have support for being sober from her family.

Denying or trying to downplay drug addiction in loved ones, especially when someone is missing, is part of what makes it so insidious. In fact, coming out with it early ensures Abby is handled as a high-risk missing person and puts her disappearance into a very important context. I am not blaming her family, only pointing out that, especially here at WS, we don't judge drug-users and put them aside, and no matter how lightly we may try to dance around it or offer alternatives, there are really too many undeniable connections between Abby and heroin.

Heroin is no longer a drug anyone should associate with dirtbags, rock stars or the homeless. It is an incredible epidemic seeping into some of our best communities and universities.

I don't think LE has to stretch far to see the connection between these women in background alone. I hope they can uncover enough evidence to point them to whoever committed these crimes whether it is one or many, whether it was direct or drugs. I think their challenge is going to be finding someone who isn't in fear for their lives if they come forward.

Has anyone identified who the acquaintance in the brown Buick was?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back