Canada - Terror in Edmonton- Vehicles knives used in assault on LE/Public

Looking at that Uhaul's size is frightening. This could have been so much worse if he had rammed into a crowd leaving the stadium or a movie.

Glad he was as inept as he was clueless. Stay Strong Canada! :canada:

I was JUST going to comment on the U-Haul size!
Thankfully it never plowed into a group of people!
That would have resulted in massive casualties :(

I was JUST going to comment on the U-Haul size!
Thankfully it never plowed into a group of people!
That would have resulted in massive casualties :(

At first I did not realize it was a stadium event. When the intent of that soaked in that is pretty intense ,

I also learned that they all had to leave their cars -- can you imagine the mess just by that alone.

I also thought it was strange that they put a tarp over of window of the U Haul.

And this sounds awful - but I tend to post as it comes across in my head (!) and I thought don't give them any respect by covering it up.

By that I mean if it was a real bad wreck I would understand them not wanting us to see the smashed windshield - cause it seemed as if that was caused by head impact.

So out of respect I get that with an accident.

But when I first saw it in this context i thought well you a@@@@@@ you cant drive, your not dead, your caught your in jail and you have a headache - so there - feels right to me

oh i sound so mean but that is what went thro my head.............

Pierre have not seen you ages hope all is well

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/paula-simons-lets-not-do-the-terrorists-work-for-them
Edmonton police and the RCMP have refused to identify the suspect, except to say he’s a 30-year-old Somali national who entered the country as a refugee claimant. But police sources have identified him to the Journal as Abdulahi Hasan Sharif. Police were first alerted to his activities in 2015, after they were tipped off that he was espousing extremist views. They investigated, but didn’t find enough evidence to make an arrest. (It’s not yet clear why that investigation didn’t stymie his refugee claim.)

Both RCMP and EPS say they have no evidence linking their suspect to a terror group. Knecht confirmed the suspect had an ISIL flag in his car. And police say there are other pieces of evidence, which they declined to describe, that caused them to classify this as an act of terror. Still, they believe he acted alone and that there is no ongoing threat to Edmontonians.

But there is a threat that the violent hateful actions of one disturbed and dangerous individual could be toxic and corrosive.

Hate is contagious. I worry this brazen public attack could inspire other angry, radicalized Muslim extremists.
rbbm.

http://www.cp24.com/news/suspect-fa...n-truck-attack-investigated-in-2015-1.3614246
Outside the stadium, Edmonton police Const. Mike Chernyk, with his marked, flashing cruiser was handling crowd control and security when a speeding white Chevy Malibu rammed through a barrier and hit his car, sending him flying five metres through the air.

The driver then got out, pulled out a large knife and began stabbing him. Knecht said Chernyk, a 10-year-veteran, fought back, forcing the suspect to flee on foot.

“He was in a struggle for his life, holding onto his gun with one hand and blocking the knife with his other,” said Knecht. “It's a testament to his experience and training that he survived.”

Knecht said Chernyk has since been released from hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

“He has stab wounds on his face and head from the knife and significant abrasions on his arms as a result of being hit by the car.”

Chernyk managed to radio in what had happened and the manhunt was on.

Police set up checkpoints and began stopping cars, leading to a second encounter hours later with the suspect, now driving a U-haul cube van, east of the stadium just after midnight.

Of the four pedestrians, two suffered head injuries including a skull fracture. Two have been released from hospital.

“Their injuries range from broken bones to brain bleeds,” said Knecht.

He said officers used a “tactical manoeuvre” to force the truck to crash onto its side just south of Jasper Avenue. Officers smashed through the windshield and tossed in a stun grenade to distract the driver. When he resisted, they used a stun gun to make the arrest.

“No shots were fired. In fact, no shots were fired anywhere in this entire incident,” said Knecht.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/abdulahi-hasan-sharif-somali-edmonton-1.4316074
[h=1]Edmonton attack suspect had 'genocidal beliefs,' says former co-worker who reported him to police[/h] [h=3]'He had major issues with polytheists. He said they need to die'[/h]

[h=2]Suspect 'strange,' says former co-worker[/h] The former co-worker said he immediately recognized Sharif's name when it began to circulate in the news media.

He worked with a "very strange" Sharif at a construction site in the summer of 2015, he said.

The co-worker said Sharif would play broadcasts in Arabic while they worked at the construction site.

When Sharif started talking to him about his hatred of Shia Muslims and support for well-known leaders of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, the co-worker decided he needed to do something, he said.

He said he reported Sharif to Edmonton police, who passed him onto the RCMP. He was later interviewed by RCMP at K Division headquarters near downtown Edmonton, he said.

"They definitely didn't laugh it off … they took it very seriously and very professionally," he said.

Sharif kept a low profile in the city's Somali community.

Three years after he arrived in Canada, Mr. Sharif was flagged as a potential terrorist threat. Mr. Goodale and the RCMP have declined to give details of the 2015 investigation, with the RCMP saying only that they conducted a thorough probe based on a tip Mr. Sharif was "espousing extremist ideology." They found nothing to indicate he was a threat to public safety and no evidence to support charges or a peace bond, or even continue the investigation.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...36470292/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Former federal defence minister and United Conservative Party leadership candidate Jason Kenney has weighed in on Saturday’s vehicle attacks in Edmonton that injured a police officer and four pedestrians.

According to Kenney, there is no reason that anyone would need to seek asylum in Canada from the United States.

“The United States has a fair and independent refugee determination system,” he said. “There is no reason we should allow anybody to ‘asylum shop’ by moving from the U.S., if their claim is rejected, up here to Canada.

“Illegal migrants are fleeing north into our border, abusing our generosity, clogging up our asylum system – when they have no business doing so,” he said. “If they’re in the United States, they can go through the American refugee system.”

“When an asylum claimant makes a claim in Canada, we take their fingerprints and we bounce that off against U.S. watch lists,” Kenney explained. “And the Americans would have, in that case, told us this guy was under a deportation order. Unfortunately that didn’t come into effect until 2013, the year after this person entered Canada.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3786725/...lum-in-u-s-calls-for-sharif-to-be-kicked-out/

Quebec City and Edmonton attacks: Why it's difficult to lay terrorism charges in Canada

What about the Edmonton van incident last weekend, which looked straight out of the Islamic State playbook? And wasn't an IS flag found in the van?

The RCMP says it is still investigating, and if it finds that more charges are warranted, it will file them. So far, it has filed 11 charges against Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, a 30-year-old Somali refugee: five counts of attempted murder, five of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and one weapons offence.

What is lost by not filing terrorism charges?

Symbolic value. "Given the high penalties for attempted murder or murder, the debate is largely symbolic but symbols matter," Prof. Roach said. "We need to be even-handed with the terrorism label and not associate it with any particular religious or political grouping."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...-terrorism-charges-in-canada/article36479538/

Suspect in Edmonton attacks looking for lawyer ahead of October trial
April 9 2019

"A man accused of trying to kill an Edmonton police officer and of running down pedestrians is still without a lawyer six months before his trial.

Abdulahi Hasan Sharif faces 12 charges and appeared in Court of Queen’s Bench on Tuesday to get a new lawyer through legal aid."

"Sharif has already parted ways with at least two lawyers since he was charged.

He is to meet his prospective counsel before April 18 and return to court with his decision on April 24.

A jury trial is to start Oct. 15, although the judge acknowledged scheduling will need to be sorted out once a new lawyer is found."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back