GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

Does anyone have an estimation or just a good guess how long the jury selection will go on?

Thanks,
Tricia

Jury selection begins today — and other details of the Craig Wood trial

Eventually, 16 jurors — including four alternates — will be selected and brought to Greene County for the trial.
The jurors will stay at an undisclosed hotel where deputies will patrol their floor. A deputy must be present when they call their families and jurors are not allowed to leave on their own.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...and-other-details-craig-wood-trial/781620001/

Does anyone have an estimation or just a good guess how long the jury selection will go on?

Thanks,
Tricia

The estimation is that Jury selection will last this week and trial to bein in Springfield next Monday. All one needs to do is look at the docket history on casenet to see that the Defense team is a piece of work...even more so than usual. It could be longer due to them.

JMO

The final twelve jurors will be sequestered for what is expected to be a two-week trial.
Today’s search saw 30 potential jurors over the course of 10 hours, each jury prospect being questioned for hours at a time, and still no jurors had been seated by the end of the first day.
Jury coordinators tell KOLR10 while many will be permanently dismissed from this case over the course of the next few days, no one will be officially committed to the jury until the end of the week.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/jury-selection-begins-for-hailey-owens-murder-case/843228271

I’m praying for Hailey’s Mum and family as they face a very difficult time facing this monster every day. Thank you so much everyone for your updates.

He must be eating pretty good in jail as he has gained weight...yuck.

Jury Selection Emotional In Case of Hailey Owens Death

http://www.kspr.com/video/?vid=452864293&vid=452864293

According to the reporter in Platte Co, the process is going slowly. Jurors are having a difficult time hearing some of the evidence they'll have to weigh in the case. They also have to be willing to consider voting either for or against the DP.

Sadly, it seems both the nature of this horrific crime and the tactics of the defense team will make this trial very difficult and stressful for the jurors.

This is neither here nor there, I guess, but looks like the jurors will miss Halloween.

This trial has certainly been a long time coming.

Heartbreaking....poor baby girl. I wouldn't cry if they made it automatic death penalty when found guilty of murdering a child.
I remember when it happened, a neighbor saw the abduction and attempted to follow Wood but lost him in traffic. So close.

Eventually, 16 jurors — including four alternates — will be selected and brought to Greene County for the trial.

The jurors will stay at an undisclosed hotel where deputies will patrol their floor. A deputy must be present when they call their families and jurors are not allowed to leave on their own.

Arguments in Wood's trial are expected to begin on Monday, Oct. 30, and last a week

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...and-other-details-craig-wood-trial/781620001/

There are four aggravating factors, submitted by prosecutors, that the jury has to consider to convict:
-Wood murdered Hailey while he kidnapped then raped and sodomized her.
-He killed her because she was a potential witness to the crimes he committed against her.
-He killed to avoid prosecution for kidnapping, raping and sodomizing her.
-The crime was outrageous and involved torture and depravity.
In order to qualify for a death sentence the state needs to prove that at least one of the aggravating factors exists. There are no mitigating factors, for example, something in Wood's background, upbringing or character that could have caused him to commit the crimes. If there are mitigating factors, they have to outweigh aggravated ones. All of this was presented to the jury pool to consider and the trial is still one week away.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Jur...ens-focuses-on-several-factors-452639393.html

I believe these Jurors face a triple whammy. First, be willing to go out of town 3 hours away from home to be sequestered what could easily be 3 weeks including a penalty phase. Second, be willing to hear and see some of the most graphic testimony and autopsy photos of what was done to this 10 year old little girl who was literally snatched right of the street in broad daylight boldly in front of 5 visible witnesses. Third, willing to make the decision as to the taking of another's life.

I have always believed in the death penalty for cases that merit it. I have began to wonder if it is all worth it for all the hoops and hurdles allowed to get the DP. Not to mention how long it takes to actually be administered. I will have to admit that MO does not segregate DP inmates away from the general population, so as accidents and such can happen to them.

JMO's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potosi_Correctional_Center

Jury seated in the Craig Wood death penalty case

The jury consists of seven women and five men. There were four alternates chosen too. Frances Watson reports one of those men of the primary jury asked to be excused after the judge read the jury instructions. Now the jury will only consist of three alternates. They all must listen to the case. The judge will only tell them who the primary jurors are during the deliberation process.
Lawyers called 500 potential jurors from the Platte City community, near Kansas City, to answer questions to see if they could hear a death penalty case. Out of the 500, 49 made the first cut.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Law...ated-Friday-in-Craig-Wood-case-453642273.html

Embracing these jurors with strength and peace. They will I'm sure hear and see horrific things.
Justice is coming Hailey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked and KY3 news channel is "considering" live streaming the trial. Possibly if others call and request they will in fact carry it livestream. I think it is an important trial to see how far the State goes to defend the accused. This trial is costing the County a State a fortune, and should show the public the extent they go to give a defendant a "fair trial" all on the taxpayer dimes.

JMO

I checked and KY3 news channel is "considering" live streaming the trial. Possibly if others call and request they will in fact carry it livestream. I think it is an important trial to see how far the State goes to defend the accused. This trial is costing the County a State a fortune, and should show the public the extent they go to give a defendant a "fair trial" all on the taxpayer dimes.

JMO

I just sent them an email requesting they Live Stream! I hope they do, not only would it be good to see justice for Hailey, it would b e good for the court system in that area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back