GUILTY IA - Natalie Finn, 16, starved to death, West Des Moines, 24 Oct 2016

If I'm not mistaken she was held in the basement? Presumably against her will. Hope I'm not mixing up cases :/

Oh yes, that makes sense. Held against her will. I was just thinking more of they snatched her from somewhere. Thanks!

Oh yes, that makes sense. Held against her will. I was just thinking more of they snatched her from somewhere. Thanks!
From the second linked article in post #1:
"Both parents are accused of secretly confining Natalie and two of her siblings,*a 14-year-old girl and 15-year-old boy, inside their small, brick home on 15th Street near Mountain Avenue in West Des Moines."

I confused this case with another similar one in Iowa, Sabrina Ray I think was her name. She was abused and left in the basement and unable to get out.

Nicole Finn murder trial will stay in Polk County for now

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2017/11/16/nicole-finn-murder-trial-stay-polk-county-now/870185001/

About 250 to 280 Polk County residents will be questioned Friday about whether they can be fair and impartial in the murder trial of Nicole Finn, accused in the starvation death of her 16-year-old daughter Natalie.

Polk County Judge Karen Romano on Thursday denied a second bid by Finn's attorneys to move the trial out of central Iowa, saying she will reconsider the request if juror questionnaires reveal too much bias.

If the trial moves forward as planned after Thanksgiving, Romano said she plans to admonish jurors not to read or watch any media about the case. She will take the added step of asking them to turn off news alerts on their smartphones, she said.

Nicole Finn's attorney moves to block evidence from trial
Updated 7:45 p.m. CT Nov. 22, 2017

The attorneys for Nicole Finn...has filed a motion to block four pieces of evidence during her trial.

Life insurance policies on Natalie Finn and her two siblings
Evidence that Natalie Finn was hit with a bat by a relative
References that her siblings resembled "concentration camp prisoners"
Testimony that Nicole Finn made distasteful comments about Natalie Finn's death when she was picking up medical records

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2017/11/22/nicole-finns-attorney-moves-block-evidence-trial/887785001/

Is it typical for people to take out life insurance policies on children?

It’s not abnormal. It’s usuallu a benefit offered through an employer. Those are standard amounts too

I hope both of them plus the worker who was fired get LWOP and learn what its like to be locked in a dark concrete room with nothing to eat.

Here is a KCCI reporter's twitter that's updating from inside the courtroom.

[video=twitter;936698702189576193]https://twitter.com/Hannah_KCCI/status/936698702189576193[/video]
https://twitter.com/Hannah_KCCI

Nicole Finn repeatedly ignored officer, caseworker trying to see her, jurors told

West Des Moines school officials watched over Natalie Finn, gave her food, contacted child-protective workers by phone and in writing, and exchanged hundreds of emails with her adoptive mother, Nicole Finn.

But those efforts at the Walnut Creek Campus, an alternative high school, failed to save the malnourished 16-year-old.

Instead, Natalie stopped coming to school in May 2016, not long after she was suspected of stealing $60 from a teacher.

Natalie had used the money to buy junk food that she stashed in classrooms to last her until the end of the school year, witnesses said.

Nicole Finn repeatedly ignored officer, caseworker trying to see her, jurors told

The social worker for Iowa's Department of Human Services also left Nicole Finn four phone messages and an email, she told a Polk County jury..

West Des Moines police Officer Craig Kincaid, a resource officer at Valley Southwoods, testified that he went to the home several times to check on the allegation.

On each visit, Nicole Finn’s black Honda Pilot sat in the driveway. But she never answered the door, the jury was told.

Jurors also saw photos Tuesday of Natalie’s skeletal, bruised body as Dr. Francis Garrity, a forensic pathologist, testified.

The retired Polk County medical examiner, who still does work for the county and the state, said Natalie had little soft tissue, muscle or fat when she died.

The 16-year-old weighed just 81 pounds at the time of her autopsy. Normal weight for a girl her height and age would have been 125 pounds, Garrity said.

“She was in the fatal area, the lethal area,” he told the jury.

Defense attorney Jennifer Larson suggested to Garrity that Natalie could have starved herself or had anorexia.

But Garrity said he was given no information that suggested Natalie had tell-tale medical signs of anorexia.

'Since you're not going to get up, I'm not going to feed you,' Nicole Finn told daughter too weak to stand, son testifies

Three or four days before she died, Natalie Finn became too weak to get up to eat, her brother told a rapt Polk County jury Wednesday in the murder trial of their adoptive mother, Nicole Finn.

“What did your mother do?” prosecutor Nan Horvat asked Jaden Finn, 16.

"She said, ‘Since you’re not going to get up, I’m not going to feed you,'" Jaden responded.

Jaden said he spent most of the summer of 2016 in that bedroom, leaving only once or twice. He also testified he went as long as two weeks without food.

He said he, Natalie and Mikayla used to sneak out their window to beg for money for food. But he said his mother discovered pizza boxes and other waste outside that window, so she and her ex-husband, Joe, boarded it up.

Nicole Finn also installed an alarm on the three siblings' door to alert her when they tried to leave.

Awful to think about.
I'm so sorry that humans who should have loved you failed you, Natalie.

On Monday, the defense announced the West Des Moines mother will not take the stand.

http://whotv.com/2017/12/11/therapist-tries-to-justify-nicole-finns-alleged-abuse/

Jaden told jurors his mother, who had lupus and fibromyalgia, spent most of her time smoking outside, sleeping in her bedroom or managing her pet rescue on a computer at a desk in the garage.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2017/12/06/nicole-finns-son-says-adopted-siblings-couldnt-use-bathroom-without-her-permission/926507001/

In week three of Nicole Finn’s murder trial, a psychologist says the mother's mental health kept her from realizing the severity of her own daughter's health.

After 16-year-old Natalie Finn died of starvation, Giacomoni said he diagnosed Nicole Finn with two mental health disorders.

"The first one is post-traumatic stress disorder,” Giacomoni said. “The second is major depressive disorder."

http://www.kcci.com/article/witness-nicole-finn-wasn-t-processing-her-actions-due-to-mental-health/14410657

Jaden told jurors his mother, who had lupus and fibromyalgia, spent most of her time smoking outside, sleeping in her bedroom or managing her pet rescue on a computer at a desk in the garage.

SBM
Managing her what?!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave