CA - Wind-Driven Thomas Fire Explodes to 31,000 Acres; 150 Structures Destroyed, 2017

Following too...this is so awful.
I have friends in Ojai and in Ventura.....all but one evacuated.My brother is also in Ventura (visiting from Hawaii...really chose the right time, ugh...)
I feel so bad for all those in harm's way....people and animals.

to IQuestion....so very sorry for the loss of your home.

My little town, which is surrounded by 4 large fires now, has been issued a prepare to evacuate order. Officials seem pretty sure the fire up north will spread to us next. Prayers for everyone affected. IQ be sure to pm again if i can help in any way.

My little town, which is surrounded by 4 large fires now, has been issued a prepare to evacuate order. Officials seem pretty sure the fire up north will spread to us next. Prayers for everyone affected. IQ be sure to pm again if i can help in any way.

Please keep us posted as you can, mistivon. Hoping and praying for the best. You’re certainly wonderful to offer help to IQ when you need help too!

Oh jeez IQ, So sorry. Heart breaking. My thoughts are with you and your neighbors.

CARIOCA...also Lilibet, Whitelilac, ElleyMae, Coastal and Mistivon....I am still a little shaky and suffering from shock. My husband is at the hospital right now, he has gone so long without sleep...over 24 hours and was not even able to get his medication or anything else....only the clothes he was wearing. He is dehydrated and a little light headed and needs to get rx's filled immediately. The firemen let him get close enough to see the ashes of our home this afternoon....there is not even a frame left....just ashes. He said it looks as if a firebomb went off in our neighborhood. We will be OK....and the only thing I miss right now are the pictures of our family....all gone.

CARIOCA...also Lilibet, Whitelilac, ElleyMae, Coastal and Mistivon....I am still a little shaky and suffering from shock. My husband is at the hospital right now, he has gone so long without sleep...over 24 hours and was not even able to get his medication or anything else....only the clothes he was wearing. He is dehydrated and a little light headed and needs to get rx's filled immediately. The firemen let him get close enough to see the ashes of our home this afternoon....there is not even a frame left....just ashes. He said it looks as if a firebomb went off in our neighborhood. We will be OK....and the only thing I miss right now are the pictures of our family....all gone.

So so sorry IQuestion! Keeping all in my prayers. Stay safe mistivon!

:grouphug:

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. How terrible. I'm sorry for the loss of your home and possessions. Hope you and your husband are feeling better soon and can look forward to rebuilding.

It's a reminder to me to finish a project I started - scanning as many of our family photos as possible and posting them on the "cloud" online.

:therethere: :grouphug:

Oh my gosh IQuestion and to all of you that are affected by this fire storm. :grouphug:

We have many members in that area so please check in everyone when you can.

Just heartbreaking. :(

I'm so very sorry.

Words fail me, IQ. Just know that we care. I hope you have local support...family, friends. More hugs. :heartbeat:

Ventura County wildfire rages over 50,000 acres, destroys more than 150 structures; 27,000 flee
By Ruben Vives Laura J. Nelson Sarah Parvini Matt Hamilton Sonali Kohli | Dec 05, 2017 | 5:20 PM

Firefighters had not achieved any containment on the fire as of 5 p.m. Tuesday, as authorities expanded mandatory and voluntary evacuation areas and opened new shelters throughout the county.

"This fire is very dangerous and spreading rapidly, but we'll continue to attack it with all we've got," Brown said. "It's critical residents stay ready and evacuate immediately if told to do so."
(. . .)

Power outages also caused problems for firefighters Monday night and rendered some pumping systems inoperable, said Ventura County Fire Capt. Steve Kaufmann. Some hydrants couldn't get water pumped to them because there was no power, he said.

At one point in Ojai, the entire water system went down, including hydrants and drinking water, because a pumping system was damaged by the fire, Kaufmann said.
(. . . )

I'm sorry, IQ. :(

So sorry to any WSers going through this. I also think about all the poor animals who can't escape fast enough. :crying:

IQuestion ... what a terrible experience for you. I'm so glad that you and your husband are safe.

Someone in the beginning of the thread thought that this is late in the season for Santa Ana winds.
I think it was the first week in December 2011, that incredibly destructive winds occured, with power outages lasting for weeks in many areas.
The fires are just awful. I am in the hills of the Pasadena area, watching our mountains apprehensively.

Someone in the beginning of the thread thought that this is late in the season for Santa Ana winds.
I think it was the first week in December 2011, that incredibly destructive winds occured, with power outages lasting for weeks in many areas.
The fires are just awful. I am in the hills of the Pasadena area, watching our mountains apprehensively.

Thanks! I was the one wondering if it was late. I had forgotten about those winds in December 2011. My weather hobbiest husband corrected me after I posted. We get a milder version of the Santa Ana winds here in our part of southern Oregon called the Ashlander wind. Just this evening the wind came up and raised the temperature 12 degrees in about two or three minutes from 37 to 49. Thankfully, we’ve had a little rain recently in our relatively dry part of Oregon.

But nothing compares to the Santa Anas. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected or who are on watch.

My best friend is in a mandatory evacuation zone. They left immediately.
They were able to get pictures of their deceased daughter, wedding pictures, people and animals.
They forgot other things like family heirlooms and other cherished items.

Others who are closer to the flames are staying. WITH CHILDREN.
I will never understand what parents feel this is an acceptable risk.
When police come down your street with megaphones reminding you that you will NOT BE RESCUED... how do you stay there with your CHILDREN?

It should be child endangerment to not leave in a mandatory evacuation zone.
One person already died trying to drive out of the fire. In the earlier California fires children were killed trying to FLEE.
Yes, you may be safe but when you have children it's not worth the risk. :twocents:

My best friend is in a mandatory evacuation zone. They left immediately.
They were able to get pictures of their deceased daughter, wedding pictures, people and animals.
They forgot other things like family heirlooms and other cherished items.

Others who are closer to the flames are staying. WITH CHILDREN.
I will never understand what parents feel this is an acceptable risk.
When police come down your street with megaphones reminding you that you will NOT BE RESCUED... how do you stay there with your CHILDREN?

It should be child endangerment to not leave in a mandatory evacuation zone.
One person already died trying to drive out of the fire. In the earlier California fires children were killed trying to FLEE.
Yes, you may be safe but when you have children it's not worth the risk. :twocents:

This should be screamed from the rooftops!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back