Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the house belonged to Keith’s family. However, the rest of your post could certainly apply if it’s true that they bought it, as stated in the Daily Mail. There is also information upthread that the house was transferred to a family trust, I believe. So we don’t know for sure that money changed hands.

Interesting.....Transferring the house to a family trust could be for a number of reasons, but it sounds like something you might do if you feared a lawsuit.

I hadn’t thought of that. But I can’t imagine why Keith’s family would fear a lawsuit. I expect they were getting their affairs in order if it was transferred to a trust. Or helping out KP if they sold it to him.

But we are curious about how the money raised by the public was used.

I believe the house belonged to Keith’s family. However, the rest of your post could certainly apply if it’s true that they bought it, as stated in the Daily Mail. There is also information upthread that the house was transferred to a family trust, I believe. So we don’t know for sure that money changed hands.[/QUO

Interesting.....Transferring the house to a family trust could be for a number of reasons, but it sounds like something you might do if you feared a lawsuit.

Yes it could be done to protect the property in the event of a lawsuit, but if it was already in KPs moms name idk if it would make a difference, unless she was sued. It’s actually not that uncommon of an estate planning move. In the event KPs mom passes, if the house is in the trust, it won’t have to go thru probate. At least that’s how I’m interpreting it from my own recent experiences with doing our wills and such. Every state may be different, but generally I think it’s not a shady move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn’t thought of that. But I can’t imagine why Keith’s family would fear a lawsuit. I expect they were getting their affairs in order if it was transferred to a trust. Or helping out KP if they sold it to him.

But we are curious about how the money raised by the public was used.

Agree, I don’t think his family has to worry about a lawsuit and that she was just getting her affairs in order to avoid probate when she passes

Agree, I don’t think his family has to worry about a lawsuit and that she was just getting her affairs in order to avoid probate when she passes

Yes, my inlaws have everything in a trust. That’s how I read this too.

Yes, my inlaws have everything in a trust. That’s how I read this too.

Yes, my husband and I are setting up a trust. Due to our blended family situation, it makes sense. I have a feeling RR3 and KPs mom are savvy in that sense and know what they’re doing.

My husband and I also have a trust setup to avoid probate issues later. I am in California and our property tax bills are now addressed to &#8220;The <name> Family Trust.&#8221; We live in a condominium community and our statements, etc., from the homeowners association read the same way. If looking at property tax info on line (at least here in California) you can see many family trust
Iistings like ours.

BBM

Hmm...

That "unknown individuals" and "disappearance" does sound scripted doesn't it - maybe by the same person who referred to SP as a "Supermom" and "signature long blond hair."

MOO
Perhaps the use of the word kidnapped might infer SP was held for ransom?

kidnapped definition:

take (someone) away illegally by force, typically to obtain ransom.

"they attempted to kidnap the president's child"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

kidnapped definition:

Why wouldn't they use the word abducted?

kidnapped definition:

Well you didn't include a link to where you got that definition but under California law kidnapping does not necessarily include ransom. If a ransom is demanded or some other extortion it might fall under aggravated kidnapping;
California Kidnapping Laws

The crime of kidnapping describes the act of moving another person against that person's will. To establish the elements of set by California's kidnapping laws, a prosecutor must show that the defendant used physical force to take, carry, or otherwise move the victim. Alternatively, the defendant must have persuaded the victim to move due to intimidation or fear. The victim did not voluntarily agree to the move.

In addition, a prosecutor must prove that the defendant moved the victim for a substantial distance. The legal term for the move is "asportation." The prosecuting attorney might establish substantial distance for the crime of kidnapping by looking at the actual distance moved. The prosecutor might also present evidence regarding the defendant's decision to move the victim from a public place to a more secluded place.
http://statelaws.findlaw.com/california-law/california-kidnapping-laws.html

I would be very surprised, and frankly disappointed with the government, if all it took to collect $1,000 (tax free) per month for the rest of your life, is a broken nose, a brand, and bruises and cuts. JMO.

I cannot believe she is getting anywhere close to $1,000.00 a month disability!
SP had not worked that long in her young life to qualify for an amount close to this.

Where did this figure come from? Please.

IF it’s accurate that they bought the house with cash, did they get any from the funds raised on SP’s behalf?

I quoted this Daily Mail story saying they bought the house outright too, but upthread someone indicated that records showed that the house had been
transferred to a trust or something, so the DM could be wrong.

If it is correct that it was transferred to a trust, then there was not a mortgage on the house. That is the law in NC.

So, the Papinis suddenly came up with some money? Would the price they paid for this house be considered "a deal"? All I have ever heard is how expensive it is to live in California.

I think what someone said earlier is correct - the media has to mix up the language a bit and not too much should be read into taken vs abducted vs kidnapped.

Jmo

Yes but the FBI poster says disappearance. Not Abduction or kidnapping. I think that’s significant.

SP had not worked that long in her young life to qualify for an amount close to this.

I don’t believe it either. The person I was replying to was using the figure that their friend who is on disability for a mental disability gets per month.

HLN segment. Exclusive interview with the People Magazine reporter Christine Pelisek. Apologies if it's already been posted - dated Nov 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXrC5k3OKo

Was glad the interviewer asked the "why release it now?" question.

There are some details discussed which I hadn't noticed before. Investigation even went to LA area. 50 new tips since they released the surveillance video. LE may be looking at familial DNA, genealogical DNA searches due to the male and female DNA found. LE doesn't think it's a "sex ring thing".

It came from my own experience with someone who worked full time for a couple of years after college, then sporadic temporary low-paying jobs after that. She went on disability and gets 1,100 per month for life. And that amount will be adjusted upward from time to time, I'm sure.

Given Sherri's years working in an AT&T store and being a corporate sales rep after that, I have no doubt that if approved for disability, she would get $1,100 per month. This is not a statement of whether I think she will get it, or deserves it. It's just speculation that if he abduction was a hoax, she could have done it in order to get on disability.

It came from my own experience with someone who worked full time for a couple of years after college, then sporadic temporary low-paying jobs after that. She went on disability and gets 1,100 per month for life. And that amount will be adjusted upward from time to time, I'm sure.

Given Sherri's years working in an AT&T store and being a corporate sales rep after that, I have no doubt that if approved for disability, she would get $1,100 per month. This is not a statement of whether I think she will get it, or deserves it. It's just speculation that if he abduction was a hoax, she could have done it in order to get on disability.

I just think if that's what she was after there are far easier ways to get it. If this was financial it was for the donations and the (much more $$$), and possibly consideration from someone who's business got a lot of free advertising.

I get the feeling this wasn't a "kidnapping", but a "disappearance". A voluntary one, at that.

I think this case is just going to die off. Some made money, some got fleeting notoriety. But I think it's going to die off, go into oblivion, be forgotten.

I just think if that's what she was after there are far easier ways to get it. If this was financial it was for the donations and the (much more $$$), and possibly consideration from someone who's business got a lot of free advertising.

Disability cases get reviewed every year and a half or so. There’s no guarantee she would get approved for SSDI benefits in the first place, let alone for the rest of her life. I agree that there are much easier and surefire ways to get money if that’s what they were after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member