Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going over the list of persons executed in Texas in the 1980's whom WCJD might have been trying to visit.

Jay-Kelly-Pinkerton-TX.jpg

http://www.historicalcrimedetective.com/msm-jay-kelly-pinkerton-1979/

Jay Kelly Pinkerton seems like an interesting case. In October 1980, Pinkerton was on trial for two homicides in Amarillo (for which he was ultimately executed in 1986). He was arrested in October of 1979, and spent six months in the Randall County (i.e., Amarillo) jail, before being transferred to Nueces County (i.e., Corpus Cristi) for trial. The change of venue was due to the local publicity in his case.

Pinkerton was born in 1963, and was 17 years old at the time of the murders. He was a good-looking kid, and would have been maybe a year or two older than WCJD.

Though I don't think he was being held at Ellis prior to his conviction in 1981, she might have presumed he was at Ellis because he was being charged with a capital offense at the time of his trial.

Maybe a long-shot. But perhaps she was a "groupie" type who was fascinated with him and wanted to meet him. If she was following news of his trial in Corpus Cristi, she might have been familiar with the nearby communities of Aransas Pass/Rockport.

Could they have been related?

Could they have been related?
That is a good point. She could have been visiting a brother or a cousin. Both estranged from family. If not though, like Carl was saying there are weird obsessions with people and criminals. People marry serial killers behind bars, there must be some psychological explanation. The "bad boy" attraction.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

we are so used to the Internet in 2017, it's easy to forget that WCJD would have relied on slow mail and magazines for her interests and fan clubs. I was a six month old baby when WCJD was killed so i don't know her world.

For the record; Pinkerton was arrested on Sept. 26, 1980, so he couldn't have killed WCJD.

My theory is this: Robert Ben Rhoades was parked at the hitching post and offered her a ride. She naïvely accepted and paid for it with her life. He kept some of her clothes as a souvenir or tossed them because of blood. He dumped her on the side of the road and continued his route.

I am not convinced that WCJD was one of Rhoades victims. He kept his kidnapped victims prisoner for days or weeks, raping them repeatedly before finally killing them. His first verified kills were ten years after WCJD was killed. Does not seem to fit his MO. JMO

Six months later, on April 9, 1980, Pinkerton broke into an Amarillo furniture store and ...
He was eventually arrested and paraded on local television on September 26, 1980.

http://www.historicalcrimedetective.com/msm-jay-kelly-pinkerton-1979/

Never mind...just for the record.

Yes, you're right. I was thinking he was arrested right after the second crime, but I read it wrong.. That would pretty much rule out my initial theory, as a different source says he was in Randall County jail for six months before being sent to Nueces County for trial.

I wonder what sort of person WCJD was. for some reason I think of Six from the 1990s series Blossom.

Just a thought...what is she was not visiting the jail but a cemetery where executed people are buried.

"Of the roughly 450 inmates who die in Texas prisons each year, about 100 are laid to rest in Captain Joe Byrd Cemetery"

"Some headstones include the inmate’s name and dates of birth and death. During the 1980s and ’90s the concrete crosses included only prison numbers and dates of death"

https://www.texasobserver.org/prison-inmates-laid-rest-huntsville/

Maybe there is a record or list of people who are buried there.

Going trough the memorials on this cemetery. Just looking at the dates. Buried on 22-11-1980 Cecil Barker. No date of birth. He doesn't seem to be executed (no 999, no EX, X on grave)

this may be true, but the level of savagery leads me to believe she was not his only victim.

As I keep saying, can we please try not to pin WCJD to a famous killer as it's much more likely that she was killed by a nobody.

this may be true, but the level of savagery leads me to believe she was not his only victim.

True, but she could be a victim of an unknown and/or short lived serial killer that hasn't come to light yet, like when Terry Rasmussen was discovered this year. (not saying it was him who killed WCJD, just using him as an example of a serial killer that had been unknown until recently).

yes, that is what I meant.

True, but she could be a victim of an unknown and/or short lived serial killer that hasn't come to light yet, like when Terry Rasmussen was discovered this year. (not saying it was him who killed WCJD, just using him as an example of a serial killer that had been unknown until recently).

I am not convinced that WCJD was one of Rhoades victims. He kept his kidnapped victims prisoner for days or weeks, raping them repeatedly before finally killing them. His first verified kills were ten years after WCJD was killed. Does not seem to fit his MO. JMO

You are right in that Robert Ben Rhoades kept his victims captive for a really long time.

We know for sure he comitted crimes around 1990, but when caught he said he had been committing murder for 15 years. So he could have been killing in 1980.

I always thought it was possible that he was doing the prisoner thing towards the end of his crime spree. If he started around 1975, he would only have been killing for 5 years, and he might not have had the ability to keep them as long, for example he might not have had the "torture chamber" in the cab of his truck.

I have been absent from Websleuths for a couple of years, but am back now and find this case interesting, and want to work with all of you in attempting to identify this young girl. There is something about her face that just draws me to her. After reading most of the posts in this thread, I believe that she was a runaway either from her family, foster care or a group home. In the 70's and 80's many reports of runaways were only made to their local LE agency's which could be why there is no national missing person data available on her. If she is the same girl as in the picture of Cathy/Kathy (which I believe is highly possible because of their similar stories, it might be possible that she was attempting to locate a relative in prison (grandfather, father, brother, uncle, or friend) or was attempting to visit some prisoner that she was pen pals with. They may have never met her in person or even seen a picture of her (or known how old she was) which is why no one at the prison recognized her when shown her picture. I would assume they were shown her morgue picture at the time rather than one of the reconstructed sketches available now marking it more difficult to recognize her. Also if the information regarding Cathy/Kathy had been available at that time, LE could have shown her picture to prisoners/employees in the Central Unit in Sugarland, TX where someone may have recognized her. Hope I can be of some help in giving this girl her name back.

You are right in that Robert Ben Rhoades kept his victims captive for a really long time.

We know for sure he comitted crimes around 1990, but when caught he said he had been committing murder for 15 years. So he could have been killing in 1980.

I always thought it was possible that he was doing the prisoner thing towards the end of his crime spree. If he started around 1975, he would only have been killing for 5 years, and he might not have had the ability to keep them as long, for example he might not have had the "torture chamber" in the cab of his truck.

Rhoades physically raped and tortured her victims whereas WCJD was beaten and raped with an instrument. Don't remember any mention of WCJD being tortured.

Pem M Briggs is not in Namus... not sure about Charley Project etc... can anyone contact the mother who posted and show her Snohomish County jane Doe and see if she can submit her daughter to Namus?

Pem M Briggs is not in Namus... not sure about Charley Project etc... can anyone contact the mother who posted and show her Snohomish County jane Doe and see if she can submit her daughter to Namus?

She is in NamUs. I entered it. Her casefile is not yet published.

Pem's mother is deceased. It was her sister who came forward on the Snohomish County JD thread.

Also, killers evolve or the opposite, get more sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickyBones