NY NY - Erica Franolich, 26, Middleburgh, 13 Oct 1986

I realize they have her dental chart, just wish we knew if she had any crowns/dental work done.

They both have dental records available.
CarlK said that if both an mp and up have dental records in NCIC, they're automatically compared, but since we don't know where the dental records for each case are held, it's always good to drop a line to NamUs. If it's already been done and ruled out, they will tell you. If they haven't been compared, they will or they will have the investigators do it.

They both have dental records available.
CarlK said that if both an mp and up have dental records in NCIC, they're automatically compared

I wondered if dental records were compared between UPs and MPs in NamUs automatically. I'm pretty sure DNA is right (Erica's isn't available as per NamUs).

I actually emailed Lori Bruski, Regional Systems Administrator for NamUs after working on Erica's case for an hour or so today. I figured that UP #887 might be worth looking at.

While acknowledging mismatched clothes (not a rule out), one year of height being off (not a rule out), 2" off in height (not a rule out), and a displacement from MP's last known to UP's remains of 163 miles (not a rule out) I suggested that there were some similarities. First, the way busts are anything ballpark is good enough for me. Secondly, I think whoever did the bust tried to portray buck teeth and that was a feature that has been used to describe Erica. Close enough in age, height, look, proximity, and dates (skeletal UP in 1993, Erica missing in 1986).

Lori Bruski emailed me back faster than anyone ever has and said "We have forwarded your email to the primary investigators and we hope to obtain additional biometrics to complete further comparisons ourselves." Just a heads up, but truthfully my hunches have never been proven correct on these matters.

Bust 643.jpgErica 887.jpeg

Does anyone know why she doesn't have a DNA profile, by chance?
Has the poor girl no family left?
I was just curious because her case was added to NamUs in 2008,

Struck me as odd too. In a matter like that I like to think that where there is a will there is a way.

But maybe the fact that she wasn't reported missing until several months after her "last seen" has something to do with it. Maybe that prevented them from getting DNA from household things, but that was 1986 when she went missing and I don't know exact timing for DNA advancements in LE. However, I do know that's about when DNA was gaining momentum as opposed to being firmly established like today.

Still, I think they could probably get family DNA but I'm not sure how effective that is in getting a match. But on the other hand the fact that her DNA wasn't indicated as being processed in NamUs is exactly why she stood out to me to be honest.

Struck me as odd too. In a matter like that I like to think that where there is a will there is a way.

But maybe the fact that she wasn't reported missing until several months after her "last seen" has something to do with it. Maybe that prevented them from getting DNA from household things, but that was 1986 when she went missing and I don't know exact timing for DNA advancements in LE. However, I do know that's about when DNA was gaining momentum as opposed to being firmly established like today.

Still, I think they could probably get family DNA but I'm not sure how effective that is in getting a match. But on the other hand the fact that her DNA wasn't indicated as being processes in NamUs is exactly why she stood out to me to be honest.

If she has family available to provide DNA samples, that should do the trick.
I saw a fascinating short forensic video about how they had a weak DNA match between a family-provided DNA profile and a set of unidentified remains. They actually exhumed the father of the missing person to obtain a stronger sample, and it turned out to be a match.

She had two children, one died in 2006. As far as I know the other one is still alive.

When I look at the bust above vs. the pic of Erica, I see eyes that close together on the bust and far apart on the real-life face now that I re-examine. Thinking this one remains a mystery for now. Oh well, anyone knows that they've ruled out for far-fetched examples.

Last I read somewhere, her mother is still alive. I think she had a brother as well. I need to refresh my self on Erica's case.

What do y'all think about this possible match? Age and height are slightly off, but not off enough to make me think it couldn't be her. I think the sketch favors her a lot.

https://identifyus.org/cases/2607

Sorry why wasn't this one looked at? Remarkable similarity between sketch and Erica's pics in my opinion. I know it says 15 years post-mortem interval, but it also says she died 0 to 1988. Furthermore, they ruled out other people that were born at about the same time as Erica. The way I look at it if Erica is not listed as a rule out of the Doe's then it should be submitted so I emailed it to Lori tonight.

Franolich vs Unidentified.JPG

Any news on the UID that was sent to compare?

30 years later, no answers in Franolich disappearance

http://www.timesjournalonline.com/article.asp?id=102408

“Both my parents died without knowing what happened to her,” he continued. “How do you think that made them feel?”

A large number of depositions were given in 1991 and 1992, Mr. Poprafsky said. He and his brother were two of those who were questioned.

They then tried to conduct their own investigation and were “basically told, ‘if you don’t go home, you will be arrested,’” by the State Police.

He doubts the police will look into it, he added. Some of the depositions taken were “full of lies.”

Mr. Poprafsky would like a grand jury to look into the case.

Her brothers may have been questioned, but it was her husband and his brother that were the ones side eyed in the case which makes sense given that her husband seems to be the last to see her, and she wasn't reported missing for three or so months.

Gawd, how can some people live with themselves knowing what they've done in their lifetime. (This is my opinion given things that I've read that are now generally behind paywalls).

Also from the above article....

Ms. Franolich’s granddaughter, also named Erica, just turned one.

:tears::tears::tears:

I live in that general area, in same county, and there's never been a great deal of news coverage locally, at least not in recent years. I recall seeing a short update story not too long ago on the Albany news channels, but not a lot of detail :(

Interesting possibility. She had ties to Michigan, but (just thinking out loud here) how did she get there from where she was living in New York? Maybe she was headed back and her husband caught up with her?

I wonder if there was enough remaining skeletal remains to determine whether the UID had given birth previously?

Hitching a ride is the most likely way, if she was alive. But I wonder if he took her body there. "You want to go back to Michigan? I'll take you back to Michigan," or something like that.

What do y'all think about this possible match? Age and height are slightly off, but not off enough to make me think it couldn't be her. I think the sketch favors her a lot.

https://identifyus.org/cases/2607

The post-mortem period for the UP vs. the MP's last-seen date is a point of contention still. However, the composite sketch of the UP has caught the attention of someone who identified as a relative of the MP's.

Article on the matter.

The post-mortem period for the UP vs. the MP's last-seen date is a point of contention still. However, the composite sketch of the UP has caught the attention of someone who identified as a relative of the MP's.

Article on the matter.

Praying that this is looked into by the right persons, including police and it leads to an answer for Erica's family. I kind of have my doubts, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back