Shannan Gilbert's 23 Minute 911 Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about this story some time ago and I remember reading when Shannan first got there she got into the vehicle of the man who had hired her. Her driver that brought her there just sat in his vehicle and waited. He said that they weren't gone very long. The next thing the driver knew he hears the man who hired Shannan yelling down to him to come and get her. I have always wondered if Shannan had been given some drug that caused her to have hallucinations, etc; that could explain why she sounded paranoid. But I read recently (2017)..or saw on television,,not sure as I do both so much..that it has since been determined that she was indeed strangled..as her hyoid bone was crushed/broken. So I'm not sure WHAT to think now. Just my opinion.:moo:

I read about this story some time ago and I remember reading when Shannan first got there she got into the vehicle of the man who had hired her. Her driver that brought her there just sat in his vehicle and waited. He said that they weren't gone very long. The next thing the driver knew he hears the man who hired Shannan yelling down to him to come and get her. I have always wondered if Shannan had been given some drug that caused her to have hallucinations, etc; that could explain why she sounded paranoid. But I read recently (2017)..or saw on television,,not sure as I do both so much..that it has since been determined that she was indeed strangled..as her hyoid bone was crushed/broken. So I'm not sure WHAT to think now. Just my opinion.:moo:

My recollection was that her hyoid bone was missing. A crushed or broken hyoid bone is a pretty good indicator of strangulation. When, as in this case the hyoid bone is missing, nothing is indicated......other than if Shannen was strangled, possibly somebody with medical knowledge, might have removed it, to make it impossible for the pathologist doing the autopsy in the future, to conclusively determine a cause of death.

Just imagine if a medical doctor removed the hyoid bone after Shannen's death, but prior to her being placed in the marsh, what confusion it would cause for investigators months later when the remains would be found?

First of all, I wasn't at the epicenter of anybody's horrible death. I lived in the neighborhood where a hooker came to visit a John, and for some reason or another would not leave when she was asked to, that led to the John and her driver getting frustrated. When she finally left the john's home, she refused help from her driver and bizarrely a few neighbors who she had asked for help, then to escape something real or imagined entered a marshy area where she died from exposure to the elements because of her body's rundown energy level.
What you say could be plausible until you find out her hyoid is broken. I find it interesting that her medical history is always brought up by LE at the beginning of almost every statement they had made. I had thought that HIPAA laws prevented this. Especially where law enforcement is concerned, the agency must apply for the information, so who applied for it? How did they get it? When it comes to mental health the rules are even more stringent. So how did LE get her medical history to start blurting out to the public? First they say she is on "drugs" then say she is bi-polar. DUH, aren't most people who are bi-polar on a medication routine because they are low on lithium? How is what they are saying any different than saying a person was on "drugs" (anti-depressants) and they had clinical depression. Which then leads me to the question how did they know she was on unprescribed drugs? Because her "boyfriend" AD said she was? Ok, that sounds legit. I must be taking crazy pills myself because the whole scenario is sketchy. How does the police even know AD was her boyfriend? How do they know she lived with him? They appear to know every little detail of her life except how she died accidentally with a broken hyoid bone. Wow. Those detectives needed to be replaced since day one since they obviously cannot find their way out of a burlap sack. And why did the FBI back off the case? Feds trump State, especially if they believe the same guy is doing this in multiple states, right? Is that why they started saying that the new jersey deaths at the golden key motel was not related? Because if they were, the Feds can't be told by the state to hold off investigating, the killer has crossed state lines. About the hipaa law and law enforcement: LAW ENFORCEMENT ACCESS
TO PATIENTS AND PATIENT INFORMATION:
Patient information means all information about the patient, including name, medical record number, condition, sex, age, physician name, diagnosis, medical unit, and other treatment information ("PHI"). The fact that a patient is in the medical center is PHI.
Procedures
City, State or Federal Law Enforcement may seek access to a patient or access to patient information. Before providing access, follow these steps:
1. Verify the Identity of the Police Officer.
If law enforcement appears in person, verify the officer's name, badge number or other agency identification, credentials or proof of government status.
If you receive a request from a law enforcement officer or agency in writing, verify that the request is on the appropriate letterhead.
2. Identify What Law Enforcement Wants and the Purpose For the Request.
Identify the reason that the police officer is requesting the information.
3. Provide Access Only as Follows -- and Only Provide the Minimum Amount of Information Necessary for the Purpose.
Access to Patients
General Statement:
Physician approval: Access to the patient is subject to the physician's opinion that such access would not impede the patient's care.
Patient approval: Upon physician approval, a healthcare provider will ask the patient whether he/she wants to speak to the police. The patient is not required to speak to police, and UCMC will respect the patient's wishes. This applies even if the patient is an alleged perpetrator of a crime.
Note: Mental health, HIV/AIDS, and genetic information may not be disclosed without the written consent of the patient or his/her legal representative.
(Hipaa law is Federal law so the same rules apply to all states): link to the hippa privacy rules concerning law enforcement:
http://hipaa.bsd.uchicago.edu/law_enforce.html

To much is made of the hyoid bone/ drug test results part of the autopsy. It wasn't a body with flesh and systems intact that they found. It was a pile of bones. Nothing to look for drugs in, and a tiny delicate bone that's only held in place by minimal cartilage found separated because the cartilage doesn't exist anymore.

I think this sounds like the old CORING AN APPLE theory. When we went to a dead body with multiple stab wounds and theorize how this happened there was always the old core an apple humor. Guy must have been coring an apple and the blade continued to slip with the dead guy getting stabbed. Conclusion: No homicide here just an accident.

New Years AM - freezing cold.....global warming had not set in yet. Find this body in the weeds near JFK Airport at what we called snake alley. Guy tightly wrapped up in a rug with duct tape. The mouth has tape on it. The face is half eaten away by wild dogs. Body is frozen to the ground. Emergency service is called to pry loose the body from the ground. They tell us they don't have the tools. This is a joke that isn't really a joke.

The citizen who found the body hits a pothole and his hub cap goes into the weeds. Looks for it and finds the body. Guy goes berserk and drives off to look for a cop. First cop he finds is a NCPD cop sleeping in his car. Wakes the cop up and is frantic. Cop tells him the body is in NYC, I'm Nassau PD. Goes back to sleep.

The Det.LT of the precinct opines this might not be a homicide. Tries to sell us the guy may have died of a drug overdose and his pals wrapped up the body to avoid pesky questioning. No, it didn't fly even though he was the boss.

2 hours pass and the LT, a curious fellow wonders if the NCPD cop is still resting comfortably. Finds the NCPD car with the cop still nestled in the car, fast asleep.

Tearing the tag off the mattress is also against the law. LOL. 911 tapes can't be released? When did that ever stop SCPD from breaking the law?
What we have is a detective, a soon to be retired detective writing a letter to Newsday telling us he heard the tape and found nothing to indicate SG believed her life was in danger. We have a retired Chief of Detectives say otherwise on You Tube.

WHAT WE DIDN'T here is an official representative of LE go public to tell us they heard the tape and found nothing to indicate she was murdered or feared for her life. NOT one person in the SCPD/DA will go on the record to make a statement to the extent that IMO heard the tape etc.

Why don't they just stop trying to give us hand jobs. The least they could do is to use some of those gels and lotions in Burke's SUV to make the experience more pleasurable.

To much is made of the hyoid bone/ drug test results part of the autopsy. It wasn't a body with flesh and systems intact that they found. It was a pile of bones. Nothing to look for drugs in, and a tiny delicate bone that's only held in place by minimal cartilage found separated because the cartilage doesn't exist anymore.

I find your explanations are always accurate yet possibly deceptive in a certain sense.

You refer to the hyoid bone as 'found separated' .

Truth of the matter is it was not found, the only bone missing from 'a pile of bones'.

Your response implies that it was found, but separated. That is inaccurate. Yes it was separated from the rest of the bones, but it was not found.

Of course one can speculate that some animal removed the bone during the months Shannen's body was lying in the marsh. But then again it might have been a human animal that removed the bone.

For the record:

Report: Shannan Gilbert could have been strangled

Baden wrote that nearly all of Gilbert's recovered skeletal remains appeared normal but the "larynx was missing and only the body of the hyoid bone was found; the two greater horns of that neck bone were missing. These structures, the larynx and the hyoid bone, are often fractured during homicidal manual strangulation."
<bbm>

The 308 (4) Law, IMO, in no way prohibits law enforcement from releasing the tape. The Anderson lawsuit is particular in nature and addressed as such by the court.

The litigants believed they needed to make their case for a wrongful death and the County should somehow share the blame. They believed they needed the tape. Suffolk refused to turn in over. It is pure nonsense.

But the court decision was addressing this particular situaton, i.e., can someone get a 911 tape with a subpoena for a civil litigation.

The decision states law enforcement, the courts, or any other related emergency services has access to such tapes. It says nothing about those agencies making it available to other entities.

The LAW seems to be concerned with the commercialization of a 911 tape. Fact is the decision states exactly that,

The lying fools would have been better off by saying releasing the tapes could compromise an ongoing investigation and stick with that come hell or high water. But they had to get slick by using his phony excuse to justify not releasing the tape, or at least part of it.

Pulled the same crap with the video tape of the Oheka Castle shooting, I guess they figured that after they reviewed the tape, reviewed it again, and again, issued a tape. AND guess what. Someone recognized the shooter or at least believes they did, BUT that is another story for another day.

The thing about the 911 call. There’s been tons of 911 calls in NY state that have been released. In fact I was just watching dateline or 48 hrs (one of those). On the case of the gal and fiancé who drowned while kayaking. That 911 call was played over and over on the show. So were recorded police interviews.

It is my belief that there could be only be two reasons that the 911 call has not been released.

1) It mentions information or details that are prejudicial in some way to law enforcement. For example Shannen mentions the name of a LE member who is present with her at Brewer's house.

2) The information on the tapes mentions a POI whom LE are investigating currently. Of course anybody who was at Brewer's house knows that they are likely being investigated, so keeping the 911 call secret does not benefit LE, in my opinion.

I also believe that over the years enough people have heard the tapes or seen the transcripts, and the rumor mill has a pretty accurate report on the tapes contents.

Anybody heard any rumors?

The least they could have done was to release the tapes and redact the names or as they say: To Protect the Innocent, That would fly with me and you could yell to you were blue in the face and it would do no good. But somewhere on the yellow brook road they put out the B.S. that the law forbid the releasing of the tapes. These people LIE about most anything just because they are trained that way. One prominent lawyer told me they can have a perfectly good case and they will still LIE! He doesn't mind because it can jeopardize the whole case when a lie is exposed.

I am still curious why Lt.Fitzpatrick, a tried and true detective who was given the task of investigating Gilgo and then Oheka Castle suddenly decide it's time to go? From what I was able to determine he was officially retired in April with a new contract in July with a $10,000 raise. With 39 years in the job I would guess that converted to about $9,000 a year for the rest of his life. Don't make sense to me, but I am not Lt.Fitzpatrick.

I am still curious why Lt.Fitzpatrick, a tried and true detective who was given the task of investigating Gilgo and then Oheka Castle suddenly decide it's time to go? From what I was able to determine he was officially retired in April with a new contract in July with a $10,000 raise. With 39 years in the job I would guess that converted to about $9,000 a year for the rest of his life. Don't make sense to me, but I am not Lt.Fitzpatrick.

GG looks like a twin for Harvey Weinstein

ma-fugly.
He really conned her out of $400 a week - week after week?
and free property management up in Vermont?

how could she NOT see thru him?

Everyone else did. Drained her dry and kicked her to the curb?

That's two of us that are puzzled. It's not that he is the sharpest tool in the shed because he allowed a certain lawyer to be part of his case as an advisor. GG represented himself so I think we can conclude he had a fool for a client. But the so called shadow lawyer is a book in itself.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for staying involved and keeping everything about these cases current.

The one thing I do ask is to please do not out a member's real name. Even if that member has stated their real name and username on Websleuths.

Until that person gives me permission to say who they really are we have to refrain from identifying the poster.

Thanks for understanding,

Tricia

all he had to do is say
will you marry me?

she was his paralegal for how many years? 7?
lived in a place she absolutely abhorred?
abso freeking lately HATED.
worked for free
and on top of that put $400 on his food card so he could eat well?

OMG - kicked her right to the curb when he got free.

She OUGHT to write a movie instead of complaining bitterly on FB every minute
of every day.

The only thing I can think of that stands to reason
is that he promised her a million cash
when he got out.

He apparently transferred his luxury properties to someone the minute he got out?
and NOT her

She shoulda married him. THEN she could fight for the money
the you n I both know is
buried under a tree like in shawshank redemption.

He's crafty greedy mongrel
Crafty? That would imply she had a brain.
She signed up for it.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• portela p1.png
    portela p1.png
    611.6 KB · Views: 183
  • portela p2.png
    portela p2.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 180
  • portela p3.jpg