GUILTY TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #9

I am disappointed that the delay in recovering the body might have let SM get away with a lesser charge !!
I hope the speculation about WM squealing under the leverage of a potential death penalty will be the eventual outcome.

Is it normal for organized LE searches to miss finding a body in the search area
?

BBM

I wouldn't call it normal, but it is not uncommon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, but in Texas you will actually die. Seven people were executed in TX last year, five are scheduled in the next 3 months. CA hasn't executed anyone in over 10 years (farce).

https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_executed_offenders.html

I think GM has the right idea, the DP may be leverage at this stage in the game.

A shoutout to the Dallas County DA, Faith Johnson. I was so impressed by her compassion, discretion and professionalism yesterday.

https://www.dallascounty.org/department/da/meettheda.php

Good.

I can't believe that the law allowed the Mathews to waste the court's time to petition for custody of their bio daughter!! How on earth did anyone think they would regain custody of bio daughter when he could be on death row & she could be serving 2-20 years in prison? Our world has gone crazy!!

I can't believe that the law allowed the Mathews to waste the court's time to petition for custody of their bio daughter!! How on earth did anyone think they would regain custody of bio daughter when he could be on death row & she could be serving 2-20 years in prison? Our world has gone crazy!!

I know, but it is called due process and even the Matthews are entitled to it.

So happy to hear this case is moving along and justice will be served!

Is there a link where I can find out their next court dates? TIA!

or do you know "when" that might be?

I haven't seen any dates yet. It may be that the court dates haven't been set; usually msm reports it somewhere. It's not unusual given that the Grand Jury just indicted Wesley and Sini. I'm sure someone here will post any updates - we're good like that. :read:

The spoons may have contained some kind of forensic evidence but I don't think that's what he used. Seems to me they usually use specific legal terms when stating charges and the legal definition of a deadly weapon is: A deadly weapon is generally defined as a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury.

I doubt Sini would get out in 2 years, even if the only charge is the current charge of Child Abandonment. When all the factors are taken into consideration, like the broken bones little Sherin suffered, and that she obviously knew about since she was the one who took her to the doctor, they're going to give her the max.

My husband and I were assaulted by our roommate. He has a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon... Also that was plead down from two counts to just one and 5y in prison and 5y probation... that deadly weapon was a pot, like you cook food in, a medium pot with a handle that he used to hit both of us in the head. A deadly weapon can be anything used to try to kill you. I guess the adapted part of the definition this would fall under. I’m just pointing out it doesn’t have to be a weapon like we think think of, it can easily be something like a pot you cook in. JMO MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband and I were assaulted by our roommate. He has a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon... Also that was plead down from two counts to just one and 5y in prison and 5y probation... that deadly weapon was a pot, like you cook food in, a medium pot with a handle that he used to hit both of us in the head. A deadly weapon can be anything used to try to kill you. I guess the adapted part of the definition this would fall under. I’m just pointing out it doesn’t have to be a weapon like we think think of, it can easily be something like a pot you cook in. JMO MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification!

It's not so much that they were allowed to petition. The law has various protections in place when the state takes custody and/or terminates parental rights. As with everything in American law, the process begins with a presumption of innocence and guilt must be proven.

Those laws/processes are in place for all our protection. To do otherwise opens the door to administrative abuses, such as have actually occurred across history. There was a time when any single woman giving birth was presumed to be an inadequate parent and lost custody. There have been cases of adoption rings operating through pay-offs to CPS and judges by parents of means wishing to have infants.

Recent article about Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Children's Society, a particularly scandalous operation: https://nypost.com/2017/06/17/this-woman-stole-children-from-the-poor-to-give-to-the-rich/

This was the subject of a TV movie (Stolen Babies) starring Mary Tyler Moore some years back

It's not so much that they were allowed to petition. The law has various protections in place when the state takes custody and/or terminates parental rights. As with everything in American law, the process begins with a presumption of innocence and guilt must be proven.

Those laws/processes are in place for all our protection. To do otherwise opens the door to administrative abuses, such as have actually occurred across history. There was a time when any single woman giving birth was presumed to be an inadequate parent and lost custody. There have been cases of adoption rings operating through pay-offs to CPS and judges by parents of means wishing to have infants.

Recent article about Georgia Tann and the Tennessee Children's Society, a particularly scandalous operation: https://nypost.com/2017/06/17/this-woman-stole-children-from-the-poor-to-give-to-the-rich/

This was the subject of a TV movie (Stolen Babies) starring Mary Tyler Moore some years back

I remember seeing this and sometimes the laws seem so insane on one case but, in a broad spectrum they are in pace for reasons.

Wesley Mathews charged with Capital Murder, Abandoning a Child, Injury to a Child, and Tampering with Evidence.

Sini Mathews charged with Abandoning and Endangering a Child.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/S...icted-On-Capital-Murder-Charge-469002133.html

Welcome, kmickel and thank you for the link.

In the video at the link, it was interesting to hear the reporter, Meredith Yeomans, describe the deadly weapon charge.

She said ( starting at approximately 2:39 in the video ) a defense attorney had told them that a deadly weapon could mean anything from a physical weapon to his hand.

I was surprised. I hadn't thought of a hand being a deadly weapon, though it does make sense.

Wonder then if he might have killed Sherin with his bare hands?

( That poor, defenseless baby girl...)

JMO

According to the Texas Penal Code

(17) “Deadly weapon” means:

(A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury;  or

(B) anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-1-07.html

It sounds like the prosecution's theory of the crime is that WM committed the murder by violence and that Sini failed to prevent him doing so (my interpretation). IOW knew or should have known that Sherin was being regularly abused and failed to protect her.

I'm no lawyer but that sounds like depraved indifference murder and torture to me....

According to the Texas Penal Code

(17) “Deadly weapon” means:

(A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury;  or

(B) anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-1-07.html

Absolutely, it could be anything. Since Sherin is dead, he used some sort of deadly weapon. By his own admission he allowed her to die. Whether he choked her, drowned her, beat her... he caused her death and watched her die.

Marking my spot. This is.. remarkable to me, that they found enough evidence for CAPITAL murder and we could be looking at a death penalty case. I do not think WM bargained for such, I think he was hoping for negligent homicide or something where he was out in 20 with good behaviour. It will be interesting to see if the threat of DP will have him singing.. (i hope so, because I would really like to know what the hell happened in that house and to that child)...

I am also very surprised that we have a capital murder charge because what in the good nation did they find in the ME report.. (Beginning to understand why it took so long and very grateful for that)

I am also very surprised that we have a capital murder charge because what in the good nation did they find in the ME report.. (Beginning to understand why it took so long and very grateful for that)

If they were going to have a murder charge, the Texas Penal code automatically makes it a capital murder charge because
"the person murders an individual under 10 years of age" as the following links explain :1) Murder
2) Capital Murder

Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 19.03. Capital Murder

(a) A person commits an offense if the person commits murder as defined under Section 19.02(b)(1) and:
(8) the person murders an individual under 10 years of age;  or

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back