Oprah

A lot of women knew the reputation of Harvey Weinstein. There's a photo of Oprah kissing HW in 2014. I find it difficult to believe she didn't know.

Oh my goodness... I loved and smooched a beloved director for the paparazzi pics in my regional home town theatre, for the New York Times in the 1980's... Give me a break...

Ok, I got my grrrrrr on!!!

Omg, if Oprah was promoting a film, pressing a film, one of the excellent films she has traversed, as an actor, that she was passionate about, that got rave reviews for, that she was posing for the paparazzi, for a film, for giving a smooch for the camera, for promotion, give me a break...

I mean really... To take a picture of paparazzi gratitude out of context in this way and swirl it into a political meaning, into a seedy, slimy, *advertiser censored*, meaning, is just cray, meaningless, and hollow. It is as superficial as the desperation of the poster it represents. Who is this poster? Who thinks about this *advertiser censored* crap? Really? I am disgusted. Who posts this crap? Does anyone really think this is Oprah???

Get a grip.

Oprah had a message... Nothing more, nothing less, And she delivered it with grace and power.

Fine, if peeps want to discredit her, for various hiprocracy, fine, but please get real. This is not a woman that would ever promote a weasel like Weinstein had she known...

And neither would I... So, give those who had no idea a break. At least Oprah had the guts and is lending her powerful voice to the cause.

I love her for that... She was magnificent.

I hope Oprah does not run for President, she would lose that tremendous power she has. As for all those photos of her with HW, as her beautiful friend Maya Angelou said, “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” I very much hope Oprah uses her power to help the child victims of abuse/rape and let the adults help themselves.

Agree. The job of POTUS is one that's very unique and requires very specific skills and education. Whomever fills the job needs to know how Congress works, how bills are passed, how regulations work. They need to have a strong background and knowledge of economics, the federal budget, foreign policy & diplomacy, Constitutional law, etc. The federal budget and all the departments of the Executive Branch alone are a massive challenge:

Try reading through the Congressional Budget Office's (CBO) web site just to get an idea of what skill set you need for the job:

https://www.cbo.gov/topics/budget

Any POTUS or member of Congress has to spend hours poring over this kind information every single day. To properly make decisions, you can't rely on "advisors" to do it for you.

Now spend some time visiting Congress.gov, the web site of Congress and the LOC. This is legislation that's moving every day through Congress and on to defeat or to the POTUS desk for signature. Competent presidents track this stuff hourly and know what's moving, what isn't, what's changing and what they want to see out of it - every day.

https://www.congress.gov/

Gotta know all the Committees too, where legislation goes to die or get passed along for a floor vote

http://clerk.house.gov/committee_info/index.aspx

https://www.senate.gov/committees/committees_home.htm

Check out the committee calendars and schedule for hearings

https://www.senate.gov/committees/committee_hearings.htm

(Actually, every US voter should spend a little time each week at Congress.gov to see what's going on, what your legislators are doing, what is in the text of bills they're trying to pass. Newspapers used to cover this stuff pretty well, but it's become a lost art.)

Here's a look at the Executive Branch, the part of federal government that POTUS is responsible for

https://www.usa.gov/executive-departments

Here are the sub-agencies of those departments. All of these agencies have budgets, regulations and programs they oversee and manage. They're all necessary for the healthy functions of our country and our everyday lives.

https://www.usa.gov/sub-agencies

Then there's all that stuff that's part of national security, the 4 branches of the military, foreign relations, law enforcement (FBI, CIA, NSA, Secret Service). Does anyone have a recent estimate on how many wars we're waging in foreign countries? I've kind of lost count. But, yeah, it's a lot of work. Any POTUS who is delegating all this work, decision-making, etc. to other people is not a good POTUS. Most can hide it pretty well, but it catches up. When it does, it's all of us who are hurt by it.

My spouse and I were talking about this the other night. The qualifications for POTUS really should be updated. I could be POTUS based on the qualifications that are in place now. :laughing:I had to have more qualifications than that to be in my own profession.

• No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

https://www.presidentsusa.net/qualifications.html

It says a lot more about the grotesque posters than Oprah...IMO.

lol ok then. You can literally see her sucking on his ear in the photo, but hey denial isn't just a river in egypt ;)

It says a lot about Oprah fans too...that they refuse to see her as anything but some sort of godsend.

Her show was used to boost the careers of many actors, and produce a false image of them. Tom Cruise and his beard Katie comes to mind.

But I am aware that Oprah lovers will never be convinced of how fake this woman is. It would take meeting her in person, to have your eyes opened, and most here won't ever get that chance.

Oh my goodness... I loved and smooched a beloved director for the paparazzi pics in my regional home town theatre, for the New York Times in the 1980's... Give me a break...

Ok, I got my grrrrrr on!!!

Omg, if Oprah was promoting a film, pressing a film, one of the excellent films she has traversed, as an actor, that she was passionate about, that got rave reviews for, that she was posing for the paparazzi, for a film, for giving a smooch for the camera, for promotion, give me a break...

I mean really... To take a picture of paparazzi gratitude out of context in this way and swirl it into a political meaning, into a seedy, slimy, *advertiser censored*, meaning, is just cray, meaningless, and hollow. It is as superficial as the desperation of the poster it represents. Who is this poster? Who thinks about this *advertiser censored* crap? Really? I am disgusted. Who posts this crap? Does anyone really think this is Oprah???

Get a grip.

Oprah had a message... Nothing more, nothing less, And she delivered it with grace and power.

Fine, if peeps want to discredit her, for various hiprocracy, fine, but please get real. This is not a woman that would ever promote a weasel like Weinstein had she known...

And neither would I... So, give those who had no idea a break. At least Oprah had the guts and is lending her powerful voice to the cause.

I love her for that... She was magnificent.

I think you need to stop making it personal.

Gardenista, you are always so negative lately. I hope nothing has changed in your life, but I detect a change. Hope all is well with you, personally! Look on the positive side, luv. Even the scum of the earth have their purpose, If only to open our eyes to the crud that goes on.

Nothing has changed, but I certainly agree with the BBM part :)

From your link:

Yet for all Winfrey’s spiritual searching, at her core she’s deeply materialistic. “Oprah’s Favorite Things” began as a holiday segment on her show — one noted for her audience erupting in hysteria over their gifts.

Her list lives on in her magazine, and the woman with a so-called common touch more closely resembles a recession-deaf, Gwyneth-style elite here. Her 2015 list included a three-piece set of cheese knives for $425 and a $120 box of 23-karat gold-leafed chocolates. The total value added up to $12,700.52.

I'm stunned reading this because it's EXACTLY what first opened my eyes about Oprah--I thought I was alone in my thinking on this. I was such a huge fan I subscribed to her magazine. But after reading it for awhile, the Favorite Things part really started to make me angry, despite the fact I could have afforded just about anything she featured in that section.

This anger made me think and my feelings about her changed. A generation of people were negatively affected by her materialism. That, along with the other points outlined by the author, is why I always say she was a cancer on our society.

Curiosity question ... the gifts Oprah gives out to fans, or a winner gets from a game show —— does the recipient have to pay taxes on then? I do believe they have to, so I would probably not want to pay taxes on items I don’t need or desire. I don’t need or want cheese knives or gold-chocolates. Cash winnings, I could probably handle the tax part, but not for some frivolous item I will never use or be able to pass on to someone who would appreciate them.

Curiosity question ... the gifts Oprah gives out to fans, or a winner gets from a game show —— does the recipient have to pay taxes on then? I do believe they have to, so I would probably not want to pay taxes on items I don’t need or desire. I don’t need or want cheese knives or gold-chocolates. Cash winnings, I could probably handle the tax part, but not for some frivolous item I will never use or be able to pass on to someone who would appreciate them.

Short answer: Yes, sweepstakes or windfall earnings are subject to tax laws that likely vary by state.

Singer Seal Accuses Oprah Of Knowing About Weinstein Rumors 'For Decades'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/singer-seal-accuses-oprah-knowing-165408839.html

Musician Seal isn’t buying that Oprah Winfrey is a champion of women.

Superimposed on the photos in Seal’s post are the words: “When you have been part of the problem for decades but suddenly they all think you are the solution.”

His caption alleges Winfrey knew about Weinstein’s sexual misconduct. “Oh I forgot, that’s right.....you’d heard the rumours but you had no idea he was actually serially assaulting young [sic] stary-eyed actresses who in turn had no idea what they were getting into. My bad.”

The post ends with the hashtag #SanctimoniousHollywood.

...I'm stunned reading this because it's EXACTLY what first opened my eyes about Oprah--I thought I was alone in my thinking on this. I was such a huge fan I subscribed to her magazine. But after reading it for awhile, the Favorite Things part really started to make me angry, despite the fact I could have afforded just about anything she featured in that section.

This anger made me think and my feelings about her changed. A generation of people were negatively affected by her materialism. That, along with the other points outlined by the author, is why I always say she was a cancer on our society.

Respectfully <snipped>

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Oprah is a cancer on society because we can choose to not be influenced by celebrities, but I agree with much of your sentiment. I liked Oprah in the beginning - before she became a force larger than life. I lost respect for her when she began flaunting her wealth, telling others how to live, and thinking that she alone could solve all the problems in the world. :moo:

If Seal knew about HW, why didn&#8217;t he do something?

If Seal knew about HW, why didn&#8217;t he do something?

An even bigger question: Why do we assume celebrities are more intelligent, well adjusted, moral or conscientious than the average person? They're not.

People who strive to become famous, wealthy and powerful are narcissists by nature. Some are even sociopaths shown in the ways they manipulate others for their own fame and wealth. Other common traits are obsessive/compulsive personalities. They're just people, most no better than the average person and certainly no more worthy of respect, adulation or trust.

Celebrity worshipping cultures aren't healthy cultures. Maybe its fun to follow as a hobby, but when we start thinking these self-serving entertainers are qualified to lead the nation and the world it's time for an extreme reality check. Fortunately, most Americans have better judgment.

Right now, I would for Koko the chimpanzee or was he a gorilla. Smarter, nicer.

As much as I've been a fan (and also critic) of Oprah over the years and as much as I respect that she is a self-made woman....I'm tired of celebrity candidates. I want someone with a track record of public service as the job of president is a public service job. I want to know the next pres understands that.

This isn't about ratings or the ability to rouse a crowd... it's about service to the country.

If she is serious about serving, I suggest running for a state position first.

jmopinion

I hope Oprah does not run for President, she would lose that tremendous power she has. As for all those photos of her with HW, as her beautiful friend Maya Angelou said, “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” I very much hope Oprah uses her power to help the child victims of abuse/rape and let the adults help themselves.

I agree. I think she can be a voice outside of politics better than inside.

As much as I've been a fan (and also critic) of Oprah over the years and as much as I respect that she is a self-made woman....I'm tired of celebrity candidates. I want someone with a track record of public service as the job of president is a public service job. I want to know the next pres understands that.

This isn't about ratings or the ability to rouse a crowd... it's about service to the country.

If she is serious about serving, I suggest running for a state position first.

jmopinion

If I were American I would just want someone with compassion and integrity as president. Celebrity or career politician, it makes no difference.

If I were American I would just want someone with compassion and integrity as president. Celebrity or career politician, it makes no difference.

In the past. I would have agreed with you. The last year has lead me to value experience in governing and a track record of service.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back