Since Sandy Hook, 1,000 kids under age 12 have died from guns

You do realize that they can and do, randomly search the homes of people on probation and parole all the time, right? There is no need to start a new program for that. That is a condition of probation and parole.

Yes I understand and know that, but if guns are banned and outlawed like many here are suggesting; then why not just do random searches of all homes? It would certainly help keep us safe and protected would it not?

Not sure who you're talking to but I am definitely not advocating for searching homes of random people. It's a sticky situation when people who have a constitutional right to own firearms live with a convicted felon.

What if they live with a suspected crackpot?

Yes I understand and know that, but if guns are banned and outlawed like many here are suggesting; then why not just do random searches of all homes? It would certainly help keep us safe and protected would it not?

That would not be necessary. As has been pointed out many times "when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns". Honest people would turn in their guns. So then LE would concentrate on confiscating guns from criminals in their normal course of interacting with them.

Just can't help myself sometimes so I will reply. The link you thanked Human for states specifically that they can be convicted of possession if someone else in the home has a weapon, so I didn't think I needed to post the same link......did either of you read the article past the 1st paragraph? Yes, a person can buy a gun if a felon lives in the home BUT, the owner of the gun and the felon can be (and should be) prosecuted. Back to probation and parole doing a better job of enforcement and checking home for guns. Once the felon has entered the home, while not technically surrendering your second amendment rights you open yourself for prosecution if you exercise those rights and keep the weapon in the home. I have copied and pasted the paragraph in the link that was already provided so it will be easier to find. Please read below

"You Can Be Convicted of Constructive Possession
Again, possession is not the same as ownership, and you can be convicted for possession of a firearm as a felon if you exert control over the firearm, such as by carrying it with you or shooting it. But simply avoiding contact with the gun itself is not enough to keep you in the clear, and you may face possession charges where you never actually exerted control if you are found to have had constructive possession of the firearm.

In general, courts can find that a felon had constructive possession of a firearm where:

The felon knew that the firearm was in the home; and
Had the ability and opportunity to exert control over the firearm
Thus, if your wife keeps a gun unlocked in her nightstand, and you know it is there, a prosecutor may well charge you with possession of the firearm even if you never touched the gun."

You guys read the part you wanted and skipped over the part that proves you are wrong.

http://www.henrylawny.com/can-live-home-gun-im-felon/

I don't get the thinking in this post.

So as it stands, nothing stops a felon from living in a house where weapons are present. Do I have that right?

The way I see it, who cares what the felon or the gun owner can be charged with? When will they be charged? After an innocent person is shot due to the carelessness already displayed? After a probation officer searches the home?

With 312 million guns in the US right now, does one really know that LE is putting effort into looking for where the 312 million guns are and if a felon resides in the same location?

This is nothing more than leaving it up to the courts after the fact - ie after something tragic happens and it's in the news. No solution to preventing any more loss of life that I can see - definitely keeping the status quo for loss of life to continue imo.

Btw - I had $5, now I have $10.

Are you guys suggesting that the police start a program of random searches of people's homes ?

Would be in the name of our safety?

I don't see anyone suggesting that - can you use a quote to point out where that comes from? TIA.

The very logical and intelligent suggestions for how to REDUCE gun violence are constantly met with "EVERYONE WANTS TO BAN GUNS" and that simply is not at all the case. It's really frustrating and prevents a rational, adult discussion about how to help alleviate a very real and tragic problem in the US.

The very logical and intelligent suggestions for how to REDUCE gun violence are constantly met with "EVERYONE WANTS TO BAN GUNS" and that simply is not at all the case. It's really frustrating and prevents a rational, adult discussion about how to help alleviate a very real and tragic problem in the US.

Imo throwing up road blocks to discussion so no discussion takes place is the point - for some.

I don't get the thinking in this post.

So as it stands, nothing stops a felon from living in a house where weapons are present. Do I have that right?

The way I see it, who cares what the felon or the gun owner can be charged with? When will they be charged? After an innocent person is shot due to the carelessness already displayed? After a probation officer searches the home?

With 312 million guns in the US right now, does one really know that LE is putting effort into looking for where the 312 million guns are and if a felon resides in the same location?

This is nothing more than leaving it up to the courts after the fact - ie after something tragic happens and it's in the news. No solution to preventing any more loss of life that I can see - definitely keeping the status quo for loss of life to continue imo.

Btw - I had $5, now I have $10.

No, you don't have it right. The only legal way a felon can live in a house with a gun present is if they have no access. Granted it would be hard to prove if felon has or doesn't have keys or combination to any locks keeping weapon secure. This is not an "after the fact law", a check of a home should be performed periodically and any guns found with free access result in a charge.
Insurance........ that is after the fact and would save no lives

What I'm hearing is "it's too hard to prevent it, so let's do nothing"

What I'm hearing is "it's too hard to prevent it, so let's do nothing"

Exactly - that's what I was getting at with there is nothing to stop a felon + gun in the same dwelling at the same time - unless something happens after the fact. Then all kinds of time and money should be spent 'doing something that should not have happened in the first place'. Useless imo.

WOW!!!!!! I haven't read this story yet, but WTF! Why is a third grader anywhere near a gun? Why is an adult allowing a third grader near his gun? Why wasn't an adult paying attention to the third grader? Why did an adult allow a third grader to get that close his gun? OMG!!!!! OK time to read another story about children not be watched by adults.

OK I read the story, I still have all the same questions.

I don't think I've seen this resource posted in this thread yet.

https://schoolshooters.info/

Its a very comprehensive database maintained by a psychologist who has extensively researched school shooters and has published two books on the topic. Lots of good information there for those trying to get into the mind of the people who commit these horrific acts.

I have a question that someone on this thread may be able to answer. Dicks & Walmart recently announced that they would not sell guns to anyone under 21 years of age. Wouldn't this be age discrimination if the state didn't prohibit purchases to those under 21? tia

I have a question that someone on this thread may be able to answer. Dicks & Walmart recently announced that they would not sell guns to anyone under 21 years of age. Wouldn't this be age discrimination if the state didn't prohibit purchases to those under 21? tia
I don't know, I doubt it...retailers can refuse service to anybody, can't they? I'm thinking about cakes for same sex weddings, pharmacists and birth control, etc.

There is a newer and more active thread about gun control over here, though:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366960

There has been, on average, 1 school shooting every week this year
14 shootings in 9 weeks

By CNN

(CNN) - We're only nine weeks into 2018, and there have already been at least 14 school shootings in the US. That averages out to 1.5 shooting a week.

The parameters CNN followed in this count are:

A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter) A shooting that occurred on school grounds We included grades K through college/university level We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...verage-1-school-shooting-every-week-this-year

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back