CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
These poor, poor siblings.... this is the most harrowing case I've read on Websleuths and I've been here a while now.

Well now we can hope they never want again. Sounds like they are in good hands.

It is astounding that the 17-year-old and siblings had the ability to plan and execute an escape, given that they had little awareness of regular life. It makes me think that the kids were segregated consistenly in the same way, by age and gender maybe. The same individuals were generally kept together in one room. What one member of the group learned could be passed on to others that she/he was in regular contact with. So all the kids kept together in one room might know what a police officer is but those kept with others with more limited exposure would not, for instance.

I can't understand how the relatives they vacationed with several years ago could fail to notice their astounding lack of knowledge about the commonplace. Did they not talk to the kids waiting in line at Disneyland? It appears the grandparents wrote off the children's extreme deference as good manners. But the frailty and physical symptoms and inability to participate in normal conversation should have been very obvious to the uncle, aunt, and cousins.

Good point. I bet the cousins saw the deficiencies in the siblings, perhaps more then aunt/uncle/grandparents. I would like to hear their impressions and memories of visits together.

jmo

Seeing as the kids don't look sickly or in dire straights in the pcitures, I'm going to say in the last year something snapped. I was happy to hear there didn't appear to be any sexual assault. And while I believe in God, I don't believe he would send such messages as these to the parents. There has to be more going on. Mental illness of course seems logical. There moral compass seemed straight, but sometimes if people become fanatical over time, they can become very abusive. We've seen this time and time again. I know some kids were shackled to the beds. Where were the other kids found? Who's phone had been reset? What is the mentality of the adult children? I know physcially their bodies were those of younger kids, but what is their mental state? Children with no social skills would logically not no how to interact. So being unfriendly and unsociable would be the norm for them. Especially when their family is all they'v ever known. It seems feesible that the adult children would take the younger children under there wings and keep them together for the time being. I do think the adult kids need to learn how to care for themselves, but that will come.

That may be legally true, but I’ve heard enough to determine they are equally morally responsible. [emoji35]

IME, it takes both parents co-operating, in agreement, for this type abuse and torture to take place. One may be more violent and take a more active role in meting out physical abuse, but the other parent is totally complicit for allowing
it to happen and not intervening. remember these type parents are primarily concerned with their own comfort, the
children are seen as PIA's in their life. Wouldn't be surprised if the Monster parents were hoping the children would
eventually die from starvation and they would have if not for 17 yr. old.
I just hope one parent doesn't get a great attorney and try to put all blame on other parent. They WILL try, IMO, but
no doubt, BOTH parents are equally guilty here.

How did this father provide for them? They have a big house and in California no less.

And to think I have felt guilty over the years when I eat some of the candy "from the Easter bunny" but I never ate all of it!

I can't even imagine eating food without first making sure my kids had enough. Can't even imagine. It's beyond human comprehension to feed yourself while depriving any child. And to taunt them with seeing the food they wouldn't be allowed to eat?!?!?!? I have no words to express my outrage.

jmo

I can't even take this all in without hyperventilating. For myself, to help deal with this information, I've been imagining everything I'd give these precious kids if I could. Warm chocolate chip cookies with the chips melting, pizza with golden cheese bubbling, McDonald's cheeseburgers and fries, crispy fried chicken, pumpkin, apple and peach pies, cake with ice cream, bicycles to ride down our lane, sleds to slide down our snow covered hillside, hiking boots to walk the trails in our woods, baskets to pick berries, swimming suits to splash in our pool, jars to catch lightening bugs and on and on. Most of all I wish I could give them each a big hug and convince them that they are all special and loved by the whole world.

How did this father provide for them? They have a big house and in California no less.

He was college educated and worked as an engineer for years. I don't think we know what his current employment was.

jmo

So curious how our hero knew to call 911 when we're hearing that the siblings didn't know what a police officer was. I hope we hear more about how they planned the escape over two years. (I like success stories!)

jmo
They had hundreds of dollars in videos. Even if the kids never watched videos, they likely overheard enough on videos, radio, and then the things they spotted along the highway (billboards, cop cars with 911 on the side, bumper stickers, etc.) to form some kind of picture that 911 is for emergencies. If you are this intellectually starved, I imagine you soak up everything you can overhear or read.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It goes against human nature, especially for a mother. We're supposed to be neurologically hard wired to protect and care for babies and children. Obviously there are exceptions.

Sometimes this type of abuse is generational and learned from their own maltreatment in childhood and sometimes
it's not. There is no hardwiring of maternal instinct. Most mother animals take better care of their babies than many human mothers, IME.

I have been a WS member for a few years now, and I figured I'd read it all. I thought the Gypsy Blanchard case was the most bizarre, and one of the most psychologically awful, child abuse stories I'd ever read. This one is, without a doubt, so many degrees worse. I have a pretty strong constitution when it comes to reading about gore and horrific abuse situations, but this story truly makes me feel like vomitting.

It is astounding that the 17-year-old and siblings had the ability to plan and execute an escape, given that they had little awareness of regular life. It makes me think that the kids were segregated consistenly in the same way, by age and gender maybe. The same individuals were generally kept together in one room. What one member of the group learned could be passed on to others that she/he was in regular contact with. So all the kids kept together in one room might know what a police officer is but those kept with others with more limited exposure would not, for instance.

I can't understand how the relatives they vacationed with several years ago could fail to notice their astounding lack hi of knowledge about the commonplace. Did they not talk to the kids waiting in line at Disneyland? It appears the grandparents wrote off the children's extreme deference as good manners. But the frailty and physical symptoms and inability to participate in normal conversation should have been very obvious to the uncle, aunt, and cousins.

All my opinion.

What if abuse, neglect, and control is a generational cycle? Perhaps, it was not unusual in their realities for children to be silent and frail.

Maybe one of the girls is pregnant.
Lewd acts on a child Under 14?
If any of them are pregnant, they had no contact with anyone outside the family so...
Possible, but due to malnutrition unlikely, however babies are born to starving women in other cultures every day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't even take this all in without hyperventilating. For myself, to help deal with this information, I've been imagining everything I'd give these precious kids if I could. Warm chocolate chip cookies with the chips melting, pizza with golden cheese bubbling, McDonald's cheeseburgers and fries, crispy fried chicken, pumpkin, apple and peach pies, cake with ice cream, bicycles to ride down our lane, sleds to slide down our snow covered hillside, hiking boots to walk the trails in our woods, baskets to pick berries, swimming suits to splash in our pool, jars to catch lightening bugs and on and on. Most of all I wish I could give them each a big hug and convince them that they are all special and loved by the whole world.

Yes, I agree!

While I'm glad they are enjoying tv, as we're hearing, I'd love to show them how beautiful and wonderful our real world is - the ocean, mountains, woods, desert, sunsets and sunrises, blooming flowers, birds. I'd love for them to spend time outdoors in comfortable clothes of their own choice (that look good!) exploring, moving their bodies, getting sunshine on their skin. Eat home-cooked meals made with the best ingredients (and love) and set at a cozy table.

Enough of the fake world they've been in, I'd like to give them the real world.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member