CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood why people put so much emphasis on the age difference between LT and DT. My dad's parents were 20 years apart. I don't know what kind of marriage they had though, since my grandma died before I was even born...

And my parents are only 5 years apart, which isn't such a huge deal now but when they were younger it would have been an issue. My dad was 21 and my mom was 16 when I was born  They married young as well, and spent 15 years together before separating in 2007.

I've never been one to care about the age difference between people. It is what it is.

I don't understand it either. I started seeing my first spouse around the time I turned 17. My cousin got married at age 16 to a 19 y/o. They were married for several years and, again, not a "have to" case. Everyone freaks out these days if there's any age difference. Everyone freaks out over everything. We only go 'round once on this flying rock, might as well have fun, be kind, and make the most of it. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5309459/House-horrors-couple-ordered-away-children.html

cache.php

I was a bucket of tears in the courthouse yesterday watching my child.
I couldn’t fathom smiling like this if I was the one being charged with these horrific charges.
I just don’t get it. Simmer down smiley pants.

Jmo. Catching up now have a million posts to read. Thanks for keeping us all
up to date WS peeps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a woman who is out of touch with reality. I noticed too, that she is paler than her s/o. I'm really beginning to think that he's the worse one, but she was put in charge.

He took her out of high school. Not ok in my world.

I was dating my first husband in high school. I ditched to go hang out. She didn't have to leave h.s. and neither did I.

I don't understand it either. I started seeing my first spouse around the time I turned 17. My cousin got married at age 16 to a 19 y/o. They were married for several years and, again, not a "have to" case. Everyone freaks out these days if there's any age difference. Everyone freaks out over everything. We only go 'round once on this flying rock, might as well have fun, be kind, and make the most of it. :)

I don't think the age difference was the strange circumstance. The strangeness was that a well educated 23 yr old college graduate took a 16 yr old high school kid out of high school and traveled across several state lines with her with the intent to get married. And the marriage, even though there was an age difference, seemed to work out fine. They've been married for 33 years. Still googlied eyed after all these years.

These kids are strangers to them. I think they are seeing dollar signs with aid money flowing in.
And no ability or means to deal with the unknown in regards to how the children may react or detach.
IMO ANY FAMILY MEMBER -
Is an absolute NO!
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

These kids are strangers to them. I think they are seeing dollar signs with aid money flowing in.
I agree with you, and there is fame as well as money. I notice that the escape they planned for 2 years resulted in "call 911" - not run to next door neighbor, flee to convenience store, call Grandma-Aunt-Uncle... nope, they called 911. That explains the level of mistrust, and the lack of any bonded relationship with extended family.

That is a woman who is out of touch with reality. I noticed too, that she is paler than her s/o. I'm really beginning to think that he's the worse one, but she was put in charge.
She looks like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. LOL

I don't think the age difference was the strange circumstance. The strangeness was that a well educated 23 yr old college graduate took a 16 yr old high school kid out of high school and traveled across several state lines with her with the intent to get married. And the marriage, even though there was an age difference, seemed to work out fine. They've been married for 33 years. Still googlied eyed after all these years.

I was 17 and and two weeks after I turned 18, I was in TN getting hitched. My parents just knew I was gone. I felt bad later but at the time, I really didn't. I called them after I got back to let them know I was okay and I was married. My ex wasn't a moron, an alcoholic? Yep. Didn't know that when I married him though. No, it didn't last 33 years, but, I'm not crazy enough to stick it out with an alcoholic for a lifetime. I remarried and we've been together over 20 years. I know another girl who was married in h.s. to a friend of my spouse, who is my spouse's age. So 17 & 27. He had to sign her report cards...

DT could've married her in SC. They didn't have to go to CA. I think she wanted CA b/c it was CA, and... Disney.

Edit; Or, if IIrc, he had a job waiting in TX.

Maybe that is why it took 2 years. They could only gather evidence when they were not chained to a piece of furniture. Charging it to take the photos would be dangerous and time consuming. The camera makes noise too. Oh, I got chills.
My phone camera doesn't make noise, so maybe hers didn't either. It would still be risky for her given her situation in that house, of course.

It's interesting you say this. I hadn't seen this photo before, but yes. I'm in no way saying this horrid treatment of the children didn't happen for perhaps decades, but I think the charges are as of 2010? They definitely appear a bit healthier in this photo, this was before the second bankruptcy wasn't it? Either way, seems like the treatment has occurred over random periods of time since the birth of first daughter. So very sad!

They moved to California in 2010.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5309459/House-horrors-couple-ordered-away-children.html

4c7491145700ec58470979aa6606825f.jpg

I was a bucket of tears in the courthouse yesterday watching my child.
I couldn’t fathom smiling like this if I was the one being charged with these horrific charges.
I just don’t get it. Simmer down smiley pants.

Jmo. Catching up now have a million posts to read. Thanks for keeping us all
up to date WS peeps!

This photo is....no words...

(Is she truly psychotic (one would have to be, right, to treat your own kids that way??), or is she tryyyying to appeeeear that way in preparation for some kind of insanity defense? Can you even plead insane to something like this...

I'm hopelessly, hopelessly behind here...)

Another question I had...why 4 cars? And the neighbor in Ft. Worth said that they had a new Mustang every year or two. It's not like they were a normal family who had young adults driving to jobs, etc. was this another way to make things look more normal as the kids got to driving age?

I really believe there were at least three drivers. DT, LT, and a young woman.

The video in this link states that sources told ABC News DT was getting a job transfer to Oklahoma.

http://abc7.com/protective-order-bars-perris-couple-from-contact-w--kids/2983342/

This is the first time I’d heard this. Maybe ABC is the only station reporting this info?

Posting in media thread, thanks.

Eta: Nevermind, our wonderful Spellbound already has this covered in a fantastic, informative post for anyone hopelessly behind like me:

Today’s hearing 1/24/2018

https://www.desertsun.com/story/new...rside-county-defense-attorney-say/1060361001/
—ordered not to attempt to communicate with the children for the next three years.
—
suspects are also forbidden from obtaining or possessing firearms or coming within 100 yards of any of the victims, except for at court hearings. The order lasts until January 2021

http://abc7.com/prosecutors-seek-order-to-stop-perris-couple-from-having-contact-with-kids/2983342/
—Per video, DT was getting a job transfer to Oklahoma, supposedly; getting ready to move
—[FONT="]As part of the order, the Turpins cannot keep the victims from testifying in court. They also must not harass, strike, threaten, molest, destroy belongings, stalk the victims. They also cannot have any personal contact with them - whether it is through writing or via telephone.[/FONT]

[FONT="]The Turpins cannot have any sort of contact with the victims, except through a lawyer. They must stay 100 yards away from the victims at all times, except in court.
[/FONT]

https://www.pe.com/2018/01/24/perri...barred-from-contacting-their-kids-until-2021/
—-[FONT="]Protective orders are standard in criminal matters to shield victims from contact with defendants, who might otherwise affect their ability to testify. They typically last 3 years, as this one does.[/FONT][FONT="]Among the other terms covered by the criminal protective order:[/FONT]

• No possession of firearms;
  • Don’t dissuade witnesses (which is already a crime); and
  • Don’t attempt to get kids’ addresses or locations.
[FONT="]The Turpins are next scheduled to appear in court at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 23, when attorneys will update the judge on how case preparations are going.[/FONT]

The whole "limited knowledge of the outside world" (paraphrasing here) idea is bugging me. They *did* get out, at least a little and at least up until a couple of years ago. I am curious about what they knew vs what they didn't know. For instance, they supposedly didn't know what a policeman was, but at least two of the kids knew enough to call 911, and Shero knew enough to have photographic evidence.

Is "Inside Edition" considered mainstream media? May I post a link to a story from them?

The whole "limited knowledge of the outside world" (paraphrasing here) idea is bugging me. They *did* get out, at least a little and at least up until a couple of years ago. I am curious about what they knew vs what they didn't know. For instance, they supposedly didn't know what a policeman was, but at least two of the kids knew enough to call 911, and Shero knew enough to have photographic evidence.

How about the police enter the house and ask a child: "Do you know who I am" and the child responds "No". Conclusion: Some children don't know who a policeman is.

This photo is....no words...

(Is she truly psychotic (one would have to be, right, to treat your own kids that way??), or is she tryyyying to appeeeear that way in preparation for some kind of insanity defense? Can you even plead insane to something like this...

I'm hopelessly, hopelessly behind here...)

I’m so behind as well. A thread behind still. Gahhh. I started a new training at work and a new shift so I’m all over the place.
I peek in when I can but I’m taking a few hours this weekend to catch up. ( big plans hahah)

OP had said that she/he was kind of kept isolated for part of her/his childhood. While they did get out, and did learn/understand things, they didn't have the appropriate language skills, and confidence, iirc, to express themselves. They may not have called a policeman, a policeman, and had the right words to describe one, for instance, but they knew what one was. I think. I'm going on memory here, and I can't remember OP's handle.

If OP sees this, and I'm incorrect please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa