I-80 NV/CA/UT, possible Serial Killer

Star Transport with a red offset star. I have two pictures of the company equipment. But I can’t figure out how to put it up here.
Dry vans from the south. OTR company.

I'm not sure what to think about this disappearance. The place is so expansive that you could take a thirty minute walk, lay down beside a bush and it's possible you would never be found. I don't know how well Mr. Carnes got around however. I'm also not convinced by his comment to the trooper that he had actually talked to the driver of the truck. I think I read somewhere he had driven trucks at some point and I'm thinking he could have recognized the trailer and made an educated guess as to the trucks destination. Foul play or otherwise it's strange his remains haven't been found.

Here's the AM Dubya episode on Mr. Carnes.

https://vimeo.com/35524457

I can't tell if it's a dry van or reefer and didn't see anything about a star.

A caption to one photo reads...

BuLHUmR.jpg

I came across this video that someone took of a truck backing up into parking and what caught my eye is how somewhat similar it looked to the truck in the dash cam photo.. I just thought I would post it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_H0dWQbjr0

I came across this video that someone took of a truck backing up into parking and what caught my eye is how somewhat similar it looked to the truck in the dash cam photo.. I just thought I would post it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_H0dWQbjr0

I don’t know how to post a picture here. If someone could look up Star Transport. Not Star Transportation. There you will see your red star on the drivers’ side door of the trailer. I think this is your company.

Yes. Patrick Carney’s two sons were in his apartment back in Reno waiting for him to come home from a trip to OH to look at retirement homes.

That's interesting. A man who was apparently well and sprightly enough to drive half way across the country and back was nevertheless no longer up to living independently and in need of being looked after in a retirement home?

Or had his physical and/or mental health been deteriorating for a while, in which case should he have been undertaking such a long trip on his own?

About the dog: Lucky is described as an overweight, 100lb Akita mix. Overweight or not, the Akita was bred for hunting large mammals, including bear and boar, and as a personal protection dog.

Since Lucky is described as devoted to his owner, it's a fair bet that anyone attacking Patrick would have had Lucky to deal with first.

1. Lucky was shot and killed while defending Patrick - so why has the dog's body not been found during the searches of the area even if Patrick was taken away and disposed of elsewhere? There seem to have been no reports of blood being found at the scene, which you would expect if either Lucky was shot or he attacked Patrick's attacker.

2. Lucky was shot and injured while defending Patrick, but was not sufficiently badly injured to kill him immediately or quickly - this might explain the passing trucker's report that he saw a dog matching Lucky's description 3 days later just north of exit 205. But why was Lucky not found during searches of the area after Patrick's car was found?

3. Lucky was not shot at all, which suggests that for some reason he did not, or was not able to, defend Patrick from attack, and if not why not?

I can't help thinking that the most likely scenario is that Patrick wandered away from his car and had a sudden health emergency, and that Lucky, unable to revive him, returned to the area of the interstate in an attempt to attract attention. But this would mean that Patrick was somewhere outside of the search area and doesn't really explain what happened to Lucky in the end. If Lucky was nearby and trying to attract attention, he would surely have gravitated to the activity at the ramp while the search was going on.

I dunno, this doesn't really add up.

I don’t know how to post a picture here. If someone could look up Star Transport. Not Star Transportation. There you will see your red star on the drivers’ side door of the trailer. I think this is your company.

This one?

http://startransportllc.com/

Their website says they haul fuel, which doesn't match the standard trailer in the clip.

Nor do they operate as far west as NV.

That's interesting. A man who was apparently well and sprightly enough to drive half way across the country and back was nevertheless no longer up to living independently and in need of being looked after in a retirement home?

Or had his physical and/or mental health been deteriorating for a while, in which case should he have been undertaking such a long trip on his own?

MelmothTheLost you know that IS an interesting thought..

About the dog: Lucky is described as an overweight, 100lb Akita mix. Overweight or not, the Akita was bred for hunting large mammals, including bear and boar, and as a personal protection dog.

Since Lucky is described as devoted to his owner, it's a fair bet that anyone attacking Patrick would have had Lucky to deal with first.

1. Lucky was shot and killed while defending Patrick - so why has the dog's body not been found during the searches of the area even if Patrick was taken away and disposed of elsewhere? There seem to have been no reports of blood being found at the scene, which you would expect if either Lucky was shot or he attacked Patrick's attacker.

2. Lucky was shot and injured while defending Patrick, but was not sufficiently badly injured to kill him immediately or quickly - this might explain the passing trucker's report that he saw a dog matching Lucky's description 3 days later just north of exit 205. But why was Lucky not found during searches of the area after Patrick's car was found?

3. Lucky was not shot at all, which suggests that for some reason he did not, or was not able to, defend Patrick from attack, and if not why not?

I can't help thinking that the most likely scenario is that Patrick wandered away from his car and had a sudden health emergency, and that Lucky, unable to revive him, returned to the area of the interstate in an attempt to attract attention. But this would mean that Patrick was somewhere outside of the search area and doesn't really explain what happened to Lucky in the end. If Lucky was nearby and trying to attract attention, he would surely have gravitated to the activity at the ramp while the search was going on.

I dunno, this doesn't really add up.

Great and Valid Questions...I have thought about Lucky also and asked other questions in the
Patrick Carnes thread https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ls-13-Apr-2011/page5&highlight=patrick+carnes

I don't understand how Luckys body was never found either.. Anybody who would of confronted Lucky would of been afraid of him he was big! I had a black Lab/german she mix only 7 pounds and people were afraid of her and she was friendly.. Like you said if he was shot there would of been blood by the car..and the body... if Patrick wandered away he would of faithfully stayed with his body.. until he tried to get attention by coming out into the road..But then why was Lucky never found if he was seen in the area? I think the Lucky scenario puzzles me even more.. Because supposedly he was seen.

IMG_8407.jpg cache[1].jpg this is an image from the truck in the video that I thought had similarities to the truck in question

Did the cop say the star was red or blue? There is company, Star Transportation, that has a blue star also. There is also Star Leasing and LandStar. But none of these three have the same shape to the Star. It is not uniform.

There was something about an offset Star on the back of the trailer Patrick Carnes was following. If somebody could give me the colors? Or if it was a dry trailer/reefer/ soft-side? Or a picture? I’ve been driving 30 years now. I could tell you right away what company it was. Off the top of my head, if it was an o/o it could be Star Leasing or LandStar.

http://www.eagletrainingservices.com/graduate-sterling.gif

Hey, um I hope I don't get into trouble for this, but I will do it anyways...I recently within the last year took care of Judith casidas husband at hospital. I verified it was him with his records. Unfortunately he was not um all with it if you know what I mean. I honestly doubt he's still around. Anyways I spoke to him about his wife and I asked him where she was. This may be totally unusable info since he was in a state of mind that I would describe as but can not confirm as disoriented. Anyways when I asked him if the picture of her was his wife he said yes. I asked him where she was and he said..."still at home." He was discharged or gone by the time I worked again. Most likely to a nursing home. But yeah creepy odd response.

Hey, um I hope I don't get into trouble for this, but I will do it anyways...I recently within the last year took care of Judith casidas husband at hospital. I verified it was him with his records. Unfortunately he was not um all with it if you know what I mean. I honestly doubt he's still around. Anyways I spoke to him about his wife and I asked him where she was. This may be totally unusable info since he was in a state of mind that I would describe as but can not confirm as disoriented. Anyways when I asked him if the picture of her was his wife he said yes. I asked him where she was and he said..."still at home." He was discharged or gone by the time I worked again. Most likely to a nursing home. But yeah creepy odd response.

You may want to repost under a name that does not link to your actual self so nothing does happen to you as you were just a concerned citizen posting on this website. I would re-register under a name like a hobby, just something that cannot be traceable to you if someone does want to be a jerk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back