FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t recall the same anger being directed at Clinton after columbine, bush after the Amish school shooting, or Obama after sandy hook. I’m not being sarcastic, I just really don’t remember if it happened. I do remember though, that all of those presidents said they wanted to/were going to make changes. And here we are. What changes did they make? This has been an issue long before our current president. JMO

IIRC much of the anger following SH was directed at the Senate for blocking bills -- gun registry and other -- recommended in the wake of those shootings. My sense is that those were presidents who were working for tighter restrictions facing an obstructionist Senate or House, so maybe the bulk of reformist ire was directed that way?

confusing

yesterday with him on the ground in handcuffs his hair was RED ( Holmes)

in court today not ??

wash out dye???

I initially thought his hair was red too... but after seeing his mugshot, I determined it probably just looked red due to the red shirt he was wearing and the sunlight’s reflection on the camera lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We spoke to Ben Bennight, a Mississippi bail bondsman, who says he regularly posts vids related to his job. He says back in September he noticed Cruz commented on one of them, saying ... "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." He says he immediately contacted authorities.

Ben told us all the details about his FBI interview, and added ... he never heard from agents again until after Wednesday's horrifying events. Cruz now admits to killing 17 people during the rampage at his old high school.

The FBI says it never made contact with Cruz after they spoke to Ben. They say the comment was not specific enough to warrant a subpoena for an IP address or other info from YouTube ... which might have led them to Cruz.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/02/15/florida-shooter-nikolas-cruz-youtube-ben-bennight-alerted-fbi

Then they'll rent a box truck and ram it into a group of people

That's a valid argument. I will point out, however, that in nations without the same access to certain weapons as we have, they don;t have the same rates of mass murders in general. It's like possessing firearms fuels rage in some people with certain issues.

Graduation Rates- I am in charge of graduation rates for a district and am not sure how a district could fake the stats. They start tracking this in 9th grade. If a student leaves your high school, and you can't provide proof that they enrolled in another school (in state or out of state) or left to homeschool, then that student counts against your stats if they do not graduate. It also counts against a school when students drop out and get a GED. In my state, I'm not sure how you could cheat the stats with computerized enrollment programs.

I also worked many years as a school counselor and can contest that many schools work very diligently to get help for troubled students. I have been involved with families that we took to court to have a judge force them to get their child mental health counseling or to continue medication for severe issues like schizophrenia or schizoaffective. I've called Child Protective services and LE and have worked hand-in-hand with both to get help for students. I had a Licensed Therapist on site who provided therapy students, but a parent had to give permission and be involved in the therapy. It is extremely frustrating if you don't have a parent who is willing to get help for their child. And you would be shocked at parents who do not cooperate. Some parents had their own mental health issues. Others didn't like the school's involvement and moved away...and I would pick up the phone and contact the next school to give them info. Sorry for the rant, but I promise some schools work very hard to get help for troubled students. And schools cannot tell other parents what all they have done to get help for a student.

It sounds like the shooter did have previous mental health services. But at 19, as an adult, he could make his own choices about getting help or taking meds.

I read the shooter was FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome), but I wonder if he was RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder) too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5396665/Florida-shooter-19-fetal-alcohol-syndrome.html

The way you state the counting occurs is not true in every state/district. Are there rules and regs in order to not dump kids? Sure, but kids, especially those with mental health issues, bounce between schools. I have accepted students from states like FL and was unable to confirm a student's prior attendance, grades, IEPs/504s and credits. In the cases I have encountered, I have had to contact two or three school to confirm attendance b/c records were incomplete. I have had schools never call or respond to emails, so when stats are due I know I have they have transferred them off their rolls but not confirmed that they were in a new school. I have seen first hand how schools get kids off their rolls and they don't get tracked-- especially in the realm of districts with charters. It is absolutely done.

I am a school counselor. I know how hard most schools/admins work to help students. It is absolutely true that we encounter roadblocks but we have a greater responsibility to ensure support happens by reporting families to protective services and by working with students to get them to acknowledge they need help. Our students are all entitled to HIPPA and FERPA. Today students are not able to be held for observation in ways that they used to... We need to address what happens to kids who have disorders and issues that can affect others.

The resources are few and far between. I know school counselors who have case loads of over 500 and too few social workers and psychologists. The crisis of providing school services has not necessarily been addressed as the complexities of the lives of our students has increased, creating a perfect storm of fewer services, more needs, and reshuffled priorities.

No one could have stopped this tragedy or the next ones to come. Just saying you are going to shoot something up is not a crime. This is a problem and I think it has something to do with freedom of speech. That is the problem.

Umm. It most certainly can be a crime. You can’t just walk around and threaten to shoot people.

how on earth does the media keep reporting this

the fbi was unable to locate him

that is a flat out lie

that is an impossibility

it was in his NAME

it gets stupider and stupider

we all can find out all kinds of things on dozens of cases

it is insulting

I'm still confused on when he and his younger brother were adopted. If he was adopted at birth...that means they adopted his bio brother from the same family later. Is that right?

you are not alone

i cant figure out the chronology from both to death of bio family when adapted were the siblings separated when how is the other sibling

where is he more about the family that let
him move in

where was he living before bio mom died

that BB video was in the same color building that he was arrested near

where did bio mom and him live

did he know his sibling

ugh its frustrating

all that matters as far as trying to assemble these people's lives

past enlightens present no other way it can be

I think that schools need to greatly increase security by using metal detectors and barriers to prevent unauthorized entry by armed individuals onto school grounds.

She's a distraught mother. And people are concerned about her blaming the president? I'm concerned about the fact that she lost her 14 year old daughter to a senseless mass murder.

The agony of that mama is palpable and it is helpful. It's helpful to make this real enough that our elected officials don't drop efforts to figure this thing out, in a couple of weeks. It's helpful to ensuring society doesn't become apathetic.

Its helpful to refuting those pyschotic nuts out there who are once again blasting "conspiracy theory" across the internet and claiming this is all faked. I read a few tweets about how the student witnesses seem too composed and rehearsed.

Well this ain't rehearsed. And if anyone gets bothers by it because they want to protect the president, they have a problem. I have no doubt she would be screaming her heart out and demanding action from any president.

So would I.

Let's all try to stay civil here for goodness sake and not criticize these poor victims who have experienced the worst blow life can give them. My gosh.

You know friends it's becoming unnecessarily heated in here and that goes for people with all sorts of opinions. Not just one kind of opinion. No wonder we get nothing done in our country. It's ridiculous. Get off the boards if you're getting too angry.

This anger in general seems to be why we are censored in what we can discuss at times because people get too upset and how can the mods deal with all of us getting that upset?
Thank You
We lost our Carmen the most brilliant child, the world lost a very important person you guys have no idea. Out of all my kiddos I took care of 5 of them I dragged around town all gifted hi IQ etc she was younger and the smartest.
National merit etc without even blinking an eye

I have to say the most sensible words I have heard from this tragedy have been from the Students themselves.

As a former bartender in a bar patronized by mostly politicals.......I assure you. ......they are more interested in the next free meal/ banquet/drinks...

It is pathetic where do all of them come up
with this stupid sh!!

effing scary and I can be not logical

but man

how do any of em keep a straight face

you could not find him it would take the white pages you had first and last name

now i know resources i would rather have him say due to limits we were unable to f/u

thats honest telling etc etc

but everyone keeps treating the masses
like we are idiots

“Teen killer Nikolas Cruz purchased an AK-47 assault rifle from a gun store in Deerfield Beach, Florida, less than a month ago and passed all the relevant background checks, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Cruz, who slaughtered 17 of his former teachers and classmates at the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, also bought a shotgun from Gun World of South Florida in 2016.

Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com, owner Kim Waltuch, 54, of Parkland, said Cruz had done nothing to arouse suspicion during the purchase process and had appeared normal to her staff.

‘He purchased a shotgun and an AK-47,’ she said. ‘He purchased a shotgun in 2016 and he purchased the AK in January.

‘He was not a regular customer of ours. He did purchase firearms from us but it was not the AR-15 [thought to have been used in the killing spree].

‘We went through the process of the background checks which is the only way we release a firearm. He was immediately approved.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-bought-AK-47-month-ago.html#ixzz57EOPrbx4

“Teen killer Nikolas Cruz purchased an AK-47 assault rifle from a gun store in Deerfield Beach, Florida, less than a month ago and passed all the relevant background checks, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Cruz, who slaughtered 17 of his former teachers and classmates at the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, also bought a shotgun from Gun World of South Florida in 2016.

Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com, owner Kim Waltuch, 54, of Parkland, said Cruz had done nothing to arouse suspicion during the purchase process and had appeared normal to her staff.

‘He purchased a shotgun and an AK-47,’ she said. ‘He purchased a shotgun in 2016 and he purchased the AK in January.

‘He was not a regular customer of ours. He did purchase firearms from us but it was not the AR-15 [thought to have been used in the killing spree].

‘We went through the process of the background checks which is the only way we release a firearm. He was immediately approved.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-bought-AK-47-month-ago.html#ixzz57EOPrbx4

Merchants of death.

I have had a hearty share of TO

but we are heading for this to get shut down

just how it works

and we have about 36 hours until this vanishes from the media 9 unless something else happens

its up to us

but we are heading for a closed thread right when we might be able to learn and discuss the nuance of this tragedy

just mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member