Recovered/Located PA - A.Y., 16, Allentown, 5 March 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goodness, I hope I didn’t come across as wanting SE to get in any trouble, I certainly do not. SE is a victim, hand down, and the events that unfolded were through no fault of hers. At. All. KE is to blame. Not AY, not her mother and certainly not SE.

My apologies if my comment implied differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll say it. I believe she knew. She definitely knew something wasn’t right. She probably had her suspicions based upon the evidence happening right in front of her. Her gut was screaming at her since it was visiting Red Flag City.

But... and this is a but... many people won’t or can’t recognize the truth even when it is plain as day. ( I’m often this way ) . I look at it as a coping method “ it’s so terrible and crazy that it can’t be true, it’s in my mind, I’m nuts’.KE also, I’m sure was gaslighting her big time.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I bet she knew, deep..deep...down.

I’ll say it. I believe she knew. She definitely knew something wasn’t right. She probably had her suspicions based upon the evidence happening right in front of her. Her gut was screaming at her since it was visiting Red Flag City.

But... and this is a but... many people won’t or can’t recognize the truth even when it is plain as day. ( I’m often this way ) . I look at it as a coping method “ it’s so terrible and crazy that it can’t be true, it’s in my mind, I’m nuts’.KE also, I’m sure was gaslighting her big time.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I bet she knew, deep..deep...down.

Someone upthread (I don’t know who) mentioned SE kissing KE goodbye. Something to the affect of, “how could she kiss that creep after what he was doing?” My heart broke for her because I would imagine she has been trying everything to keep her family together. It’s a hard thing to try and mend something so broken, to work to forgive someone when the betrayal is so deep.

MOO

From Delta's website. "[FONT=&quot]you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country."

American Airlines allowed AY to board with a stolen Passport. They are at fault.

[/FONT]
Has ut been established she used her mother's passport? The reporting us very vague on this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

What stolen passport? It was her own passport. As has already been discussed, all a 16 year old needs is a passport to fly to Mexico. If that is a problem for parents, then they should not get their children passports, or they should maintain possession of the passports. American Airlines did nothing wrong.

We are discussing a recent article:
Cook said Y's family is also exploring legal action against American Airlines, claiming the airline allowed Y to fly using her mother's passport.

"If she used her mother's passport I am shocked that the airline just let her get on an airplane with a passport that wasn't hers," Cook said. "If she used her own passport it's still alarming that a 16-year-old could leave without their parent's knowledge or consent."

Luu told 69 News Y stole her passport and $4,000 when she ran away with Esterly back on March 5.

But American Airlines says because Y is 16, she did not need parental consent to travel. The airlines also said if Y didn't have a valid passport, she would not have been allowed to travel to Mexico.
http://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-val...ooks-to-sue-esterly-possibly-others/721723997

BBM. The lawyer leaves some room for doubt in his comments, like that they are not 100% sure if she used her mother's passport for the flight but this makes it pretty clear they are claiming AY stole her mother's passport. JMO.

If AY had her own passport, why would she need to take/steal her mother''s passport? Why would her mother lie? The passport question came up long before the lawsuit. Just asking..

Maybe she thought her mother would be prevented from pursuing her (flying, driving across the border) if she didn't have a passport.

People article:

Wife of Man Who Allegedly Fled to Mexico With Teen Says: 'I Never Had Any Inkling it Would Lead to This'
http://people.com/crime/kevin-esterly-wife-speaks-out/

The wife of the 45-year-old Pennsylvania man who allegedly ran off to Mexico with a 16-year-old girl is speaking out, saying she tried to stop her husband from having contact with the girl.

“I did reach out to her mother, just saying I didn’t want [her] around as much, around my family and my children,” Stacey Esterly told Good Morning America Monday.

[...]

BBM. This is odd to me. I am no way victim blaming, but it's her own husband she should be making that request to. Otherwise, it comes off as if she is blaming AY's family for the continuing relationship.

BBM. This is odd to me. I am no way victim blaming, but it's her own husband she should be making that request to. Otherwise, it comes off as if she is blaming AY's family for the continuing relationship.

I don't find it so odd only because AY was supposedly friends with her daughters as well. KE was denying anything inappropriate was going on so if AY showed up at their house he could claim she came to see their oldest daughter. SE may have felt like she needed to tell AY and her mother in order to have AY stay away from the entire family-- and she does say "family and children" in the comment, not just stay away from KE. I wonder if this was when the incident occurred where the police came and they were BOTH (KE and SE) told to stay away from AY?

I don't find it so odd only because AY was supposedly friends with her daughters as well. KE was denying anything inappropriate was going on so if AY showed up at their house he could claim she came to see their oldest daughter. SE may have felt like she needed to tell AY and her mother in order to have AY stay away from the entire family-- and she does say "family and children" in the comment, not just stay away from KE. I wonder if this was when the incident occurred where the police came and they were BOTH (KE and SE) told to stay away from AY?

Regarding the "both" warning by police,IIRC early reports had AY mom commenting that why did AY call SE "mom" and she replied "that's normal" in addition to why KE was called "dad". Strange if true.
It may just be that the police thought that SE would have some revenge motive and to stay away from the AY mom too, but it is weird.

Lawyer: A Y's mom looks to sue Esterly, possibly others

http://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-val...ooks-to-sue-esterly-possibly-others/721723997

"Attorney Everett Cook told 69 News Mui Luu will file a lawsuit against Kevin Esterly, and she and Cook are exploring the ideas of suing others involved in the incident such as Lehigh Valley Academy Regional Charter School and the airlines Yu and Esterly used to leave the coun"

"Cook said Yu's family is also exploring legal action against American Airlines, claiming the airline allowed Yu to fly using her mother's passport."

"As a parent and as a lawyer it's absolutely terrible what he did," Cook said. "We don't have to have all the facts on what he did while he had her in Mexico and then over the past couple of years, but one can imagine that none of it's good. It just sounds like nothing good came out of this relationship between him and this young girl."

"

Wow, so she DID take her mother's passport?!? :scared:
The article went on to say that the airline said she must have had a valid passport herself. Maybe she took her mom's too so that mom couldn't follow and come get her?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The article went on to say that the airline said she must have had a valid passport herself. Maybe she took her mom's too so that mom couldn't follow and come get her?

Interesting idea but she used it to identify herself so I think the motivation was to impersonate her mom to avoid any detection that she was a minor ( <18)
IMO we could be talking identify theft and a host of travel laws.

ETA if he induced her to commit crimes (taking the passport and money/jewelry) while he was committing this crime JMO opens him up to additional charges

We are discussing a recent article:

BBM. The lawyer leaves some room for doubt in his comments, like that they are not 100% sure if she used her mother's passport for the flight but this makes it pretty clear they are claiming AY stole her mother's passport. JMO.

Thank you.

The lawyer was very direct. It was American Airlines response that was vague and deflected the question. IMO

Thank you.

The lawyer was very direct. It was American Airlines response that was vague and deflected the question. IMO

Agreed. I don't think the lawyer would have brought it up if she had not taken her mom's passport when she left. It should be pretty simple to find out which name she flew under. Perhaps the lawyer is waiting on the airlines to get back to him with records? I predict the airline will settle out of court quickly IF AY flew on her mom's passport but this brings up all kinds of other questions-- like why TSA did not notice. I wonder if AY's mom's passport photo could be an older one? Still, they should have noticed the person in front of them didn't look the age on the passport. It doesn't make sense and it's pretty scary to think a teen could get away with that (if she did).

Thank you, it is plausible.

Let me offer a counter claim.

KE knew that LE would be looking for AY''s name on any flights out of PHI. Could he have purchased the tickets with AY''s mothers name? This throw LE off except for the eyewitness who saw them on the plane. This would be a good reason to steal her passport and why American Airlines is at fault. Remember, AY and her mother do not have the same last name.

IMO not sure that LE would know that they were flying or still in the car and maybe crossing the border on land. KE wasn't reported missing for a day, AY was reported the first night, and they were already out of the country by then,I think it would have been to avoid any suspicions with an older man travelling with a younger gir.

FYI I checked Expedia for American and there is a scheduled flight from Philly to Cancun leaving at 3:19 PM Monday with a stopover in DFW. bet that's the flight.

Regarding the "both" warning by police,IIRC early reports had AY mom commenting that why did AY call SE "mom" and she replied "that's normal" in addition to why KE was called "dad". Strange if true.
It may just be that the police thought that SE would have some revenge motive and to stay away from the AY mom too, but it is weird.

I think SE had tried to get KE to stay away from AY but it wasn't working. So she tried to enlist AY's mom to help from her end and put up a united front. I think AY's mom was willing to do that but AY wouldn't agree. SE went to AY and her mom's house to confront her and I assume KE followed along. I am guessing SE flat out told AY to stay away from her family. Its unknown why the police arrived but all they would have seen was a confrontation between SE and AY that involved KE. It would have been reasonable for the responding officers to just give no contact instructions to both KE and SE to stay away. Depending upon what the police were told, they may be should have followed up more to investigate if there was more going on (ie between KE and a young teen girl). But I also think that SE probably fully suspected what was going on between her husband and AY but rather than flat out tell the police, she was desperately trying to just get it to stop and save her family. I certainly don't blame her for that. And it appears to me that AY's mom was trying from her end to stop KE from seeing AY as well, but she had little control over the girl at that point it appears. While I don't blame AY's mom at all, she probably should have sought out some legal assistance earlier. But I know it was difficult for her.

I'm SURE she demanded the same of her husband. But since he hadn't listened so far she hoped they would listen if she brought it to their attention. I think she's thinking it's important that she establishes that AY's mom can not claim ignorance of the situation either. That she was asked to keep track of where her daughter was and to limit her contact with them.

<modsnip>

IMO the child is a victim of a predator, and it isn't mom's fault.

You cannot watch your teen children 24/7. And you should be able to trust they are well cared for when spending time with a trusted family from church.

I'm seeing a lot of people wanting to throw blame at people other than the predator here. Let's slow down and give yourself a reality check.

Do we know for a fact that AY had her own passport at all?

I don't see how she could have gotten on the plane without her own passport, or have gotten through customs in Mexico without it. I think the odds are about 99.99% that she had her own passport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288