Jewelry/Clothing found with Princess Blue's remains

I am so impressed with you all! I am so proud to be a part of the websleuths team. It is amazing what you can come up with when you have so many minds working together. I posted this case on a few other sites about unsolved crimes, with links to this thread also. And when I posted at classmate.com, I used the picture of the ring as my profile pic, hoping someone would see it and email me. I did the same thing at reunion.com. Are there any other sites that you all think may be helpful? I added it to myspace, but since it is frequented by a younger crowd, I don't know if it will do much good.

Outstanding!!!!! What a genius!!!

Can anyone tell what color the stone in the ring is? it looked to me at first to be blue, but edges seem a different color, so I am wondering if this the glare off the ring. The reason I ask is because I found the following information posted on a website for people who have lost class rings. It also said she did her on initials on the side, no mention of that in the description of the ring from Webslueths.

Ring Detail For Lost Ring ID 3379
Contact Ring Owner​
Class Year​
Metal​
Silver
Initials​
C-D-N
School Name​
Robert E. Lee High School
Texture​
Faceted

Gender​
Ladies
Stone​
January - Garnet
Entered​
8/9/2006
Manufacturer​
Jostens
Mascot​
Rebels
Returned​
NoInformation on where the ring was lost
City​
Lubbock
State​
TexasComments: My full name was engraved in my handwriting on the inside.

I graduated High School in '89 and I remember wearing my brother's class ring all the time. I wore it on my index finger, which was a 9.5. I also weighed about 175/180. Also, my ring has my initials engraved on the inside of the ring, but with the ring being from '75, the engraving is probabaly worn away.

Hi Synthia,
This is the description of the class ring. It says the stone is blue.

An ornate "L" inlaid in the blue stone could have stood for the owner's last name or for Lee High School.

Can anyone tell what color the stone in the ring is? it looked to me at first to be blue, but edges seem a different color, so I am wondering if this the glare off the ring. The reason I ask is because I found the following information posted on a website for people who have lost class rings. It also said she did her on initials on the side, no mention of that in the description of the ring from Webslueths.

Ring Detail For Lost Ring ID 3379
Contact Ring Owner​

Class Year​

Metal​

Silver
Initials​

C-D-N
School Name​

Robert E. Lee High School
Texture​

Faceted
Gender​

Ladies
Stone​

January - Garnet
Entered​

8/9/2006
Manufacturer​

Jostens
Mascot​

Rebels
Returned​

NoInformation on where the ring was lost
City​

Lubbock
State​

TexasComments: My full name was engraved in my handwriting on the inside.

OK, doing the math (HAHAHA..me doing math) here if Princess Doe was between 16-22 years of age when she died she would have been born approx. 1968 to 1974. If she was born around 1968 the age difference between the original ring owner (would have been born about 1957 if they graduated in 1975)would only be 11 years. If Princess Doe was born around 1974 there would be about 17 years difference between original ring owner and Princess Doe. Does this sound right to you all?

Thanks Rknowley, I read the post a million times and still did not see the ring stone was blue. Time for me to take a break I think. By the way, for anyone looking for missing or found class rings. Check out www.classringfinder.com Robert E. Lee has several listings.

Noooooooooooo..Synthia, come back!! You may have found something very useful. If the person who lost this 1975 ring went to Robert E. Lee High School (In Houston) then they may know something about the original owner of the ring Princess Doe was wearing. Is there a way for you to contact the person who posted about the lost ring??

Thanks Rknowley, I read the post a million times and still did not see the ring stone was blue. Time for me to take a break I think. By the way, for anyone looking for missing or found class rings. Check out www.classringfinder.com Robert E. Lee has several listings.

Was it common to choose the designs on the sides of the ring back in the 70's? I know today you can choose from a bunch of symbols that signify school activities you participated in, or even what religion you follow. Maybe if that was done with this ring, it could help determine who she is.

I found something in a search that is driving me crazy. I googled missing "class ring" "lee High School" and found the following link on page 4.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach..."+"lee+High+School"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=32&gl=us

It's a craigslist posting dated January 25 under lost and found. When I tried to read the post, it said "This posting has expired. (The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)" Does anyone know how to pull up the cached version of the posting? I tried searching cached:http://houston.craigslist.org/laf/268167253.html on google, but got nothing.

Also, wanted to add that the person who the ring originally belonged to may have been born in September. The blue stone appears to be a sapphire, which is the birthstone for September.

Just trying to figure it out. Did LE say that they thought she weighed around 175? Or is it just a guess b/c of the ring? I am 115 pounds, but I have really big fingers. My ring finger is an 8, and my index finger is a 9 1/2. I have always hated my hands for this fact :crazy:
I wore my h.s. boyfriends ring on my thumb, so that me be a thought too.
Anyway, I am just saying she may have been like me and just had big fingers!
You guys are great - keep up the good work!
I also know that my h.s. ring had my last initial on it. So did my husbands! I guess it just differs from person to person!
April

I found something in a search that is driving me crazy. I googled missing "class ring" "lee High School" and found the following link on page 4.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach..."+"lee+High+School"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=32&gl=us

It's a craigslist posting dated January 25 under lost and found. When I tried to read the post, it said "This posting has expired. (The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)" Does anyone know how to pull up the cached version of the posting? I tried searching cached:http://houston.craigslist.org/laf/268167253.html on google, but got nothing.

Also, wanted to add that the person who the ring originally belonged to may have been born in September. The blue stone appears to be a sapphire, which is the birthstone for September.

Have you tried to find it on archive.org? They have a wayback machine that archives.

I do believe they are estimating her weight based on the size of the school ring. They said that size of ring would have fit someone who was in the 175lb range.

Just trying to figure it out. Did LE say that they thought she weighed around 175? Or is it just a guess b/c of the ring? I am 115 pounds, but I have really big fingers. My ring finger is an 8, and my index finger is a 9 1/2. I have always hated my hands for this fact :crazy:
I also know that my h.s. ring had my last initial on it. So did my husbands! I guess it just differs from person to person!
April

April

These are excellent points, Aprilvic. She could have been a tiny person with wide fingers, or she could have had some type of joint or bone disease resulting in wide fingers.

As for the initials, it is good to understand that the, "L" could be for a first name, a last name, a girl's name, or a boy's name. It could stand for something else, too. The ring reminds me of the women's style only because there is a more narrowing of the band then what I recall from seeing men's rings from about that era.

I wish we could get a basic pic of one men's ring and one women's ring. Did Josten's make the ring? I think they did according to the lost article. The Doe article stated that the ring company did not keep records from that far back; but, someone there must be able to have access to a pic of what the rings looked like back then in general.

I am thinking it might be a good idea to keep either mental notes or write them down concerning the side avenues we may need to travel down if the most logical streets don't lead us to Princess Doe's identity.

For example, many of think it is at least somewhat likely that the ring originally belonged to a female, older relative like a mother or an aunt. And, many of us may be inclined to think that because the ring was re-sized twice, and more likely up than down, that Princess Doe may have indeed weighed about 175 LB.

However, if we don't find her based on what we think might be true then we may need to chase the less common, zebra. And, while searching we may want to include anything we come across that is possible even if it doesn't fit the most likely possibilities. What are your thoughts on this fellow sleuthers?

Lion

It's also possible that she didn't wear the finger on the ring finger. I wear a band on my thumb and I know a lot of women that wear multiple rings will wear them all over. I'm going to look on ebay for some typical ring styles from that era. I can't tell from the article about how long they think she may have been lying there. Anyone know?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-Pickens-Hi...ryZ39727QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

It looks like the L may be for the school as this one has an inlaid P for Pickens.

36312321tphn4.jpg

36312325tpmr9.jpg

This is an article from 2006 that talks about Princess Doe:

Manvel, Texas
Manvel Police Department
POC: Jay Coffman - 281-489-1212
Saturday, September 2, 2006

Ring is top clue in cold case

Teens Remains were found along Brazoria County road in 1990
By: Richard Stewart (richard.stewart@chron.com), Houston Chronicle

ANGLETON, TEXAS - A well-worn ring from the 1975 class of Houston's Robert E. Lee High School is the main evidence police have to try to unravel a 16-year-old mystery. It was found on the finger of a skeleton at the end of a Brazoria County road in 1990.

"It's not much to go on," said Manvel police Detective Jay Coffman, "but it's about all we've got."

In the nine years since the remains were found, investigators have not been able to tell what happened to the female victim, how she got to be on a pile of debris or, more importantly, who she was.

"Somebody's missing this girl," Coffman said, holding the ring. Somebody is missing the ring, too, he said, because he doubts it originally belonged to the victim.

A medical examiner's report estimated that the skeleton found on September 10, 1990, was that of a girl about 17 years old, plus or minus two years, Coffman said. She would have been far too young for the 1975 class ring to be hers.

"It could have been given to her by an aunt, an older sisters, by anybody," Coffman said.

Richard Rosser, an investigator with the Brazoria County Sheriff's Department, is working with Coffman to solve the mystery.

"Back then, Brazoria County was a dumping ground for bodies of people killed in Houston," Rosser said. "It seemed like we had at least one a month."

The skeleton was found by an Alvin man who had pulled off the highway to find a place to urinate. He told investigators that he stepped behind a barricade and saw a skull in an old tire.

Investigators have no clues as to how she died. No traces of drugs were found in the bone marrow. Medical examiners estimated she had been dead six months to a year.

The victim was about 5 feet tall, plus or minus 2 inches. Medical examiners said the skeleton was probably that of a Hispanic female.

Investigators looked at dozens of different reports of missing teenage girls, but none seemed to match the skeleton.

Three rings were on the skeleton's fingers. One was silver with a scroll design, another had a turquoise unicorn on it. But investigators think the 1975 Lee High School ring probably has the best chance of leading to her identity.

A jeweler recently told investigators the ring was a size 91/2 and had been resized twice. The person it fit was probably about 175 pounds.

An ornate "L" inlaid in the blue stone could have stood for the owner's last name or for Lee High School. The company that made Lee High School's rings doesn't have records from 1975, Rosser said.

The Lee class of 1975 probably had about 150 girls, Rosser said. He would like to hear from any of them who lost a ring or gave it to somebody else. The skeleton is now at the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Forth Worth. That facility operates the Texas Missing Persons DNA Database, which, in turn, feeds information about missing persons to the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

If investigators get new leads, they can try to test the DNA of relatives to identify her.

"We would at least have a name," Coffman said.

Anyone with information about this case can contact Manvel Police Detective Jay Coffman at 281-489-1212 or e-mail him at jcoffman@manvelpd.org.
This and other cases are profiled online at the Texas Department of Public Safety's missing persons database: www.txpdsdps.state.tx.us/mpch/ (<--Note: This link is not good anymore)

oops. are there 2 Robert E Lee high schools in Texas? Do we know for sure the ring is from the one in Houston?
Thanks, I was just looking into that...wondering if I had it wrong.

oops. are there 2 Robert E Lee high schools in Texas? Do we know for sure the ring is from the one in Houston?
Thanks, I was just looking into that...wondering if I had it wrong.

There are 3 that I can recall off the bat. I think there are more. The good thing is that on the class ring it reads, "Houston", which makes our job a bit easier. No worries, as I said, I emailed everyone on that list thinking that I was emailing to the Houston alumni. Oops.

Lion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back