CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
**possible tattoo on forearm of bull. Could be a big clue?

Also, I don't hear a sneeze. I just hear him say b.tch several times (I couldnt' tell what he was saying at first, but can see how that maybe sounds like a sneeze) and *advertiser censored* once at the end.

He's saying "gonna kill you" over and over and then "****ing *advertiser censored*" and "". Scary. Oh, the music is because the clip was taken from an episode of Cold Case Files and that's their music.

He's saying "gonna kill you" over and over and then "****ing *advertiser censored*" and "". Scary. Oh, the music is because the clip was taken from an episode of Cold Case Files and that's their music.

Oh, thanks for explaining the music! I am glad the website owner didn't add it.
So, do you hear a sneeze? I don't.

Has anyone read that entire story? The one linked has chapter 25 and I've searched the Web site several times looking for the rest. It pulls up certain chapters, but I've been unable to locate all of them.

Has anybody else tried this with success?

I was interested in the Night Stalker case at one point and was corresponding with a couple of people from California concerning the case. There was another man who contacted me one time about one of our local cases, and we got to talking. It turned out this second guy, whom I'll just call by his initials JDR, had been in California during the times of these crimes and had been back here in my area during the time some of our unsolved crimes were comitted. Coincidence? Possibly. There seems to be a lot of that now days. Never the less, I tracked him down. He's in a West Virginia prison right now and has been for the past 3 or 4 years. He'll probably get out within a year or so, and I expect he'll return to California -- where I anticipate the killings and rapes will resume. And by the way, he is about 5' 9", has blue/gray eyes, has tattoos, and is in the right age group to have been the guy they were searching for.
I don't know what his blood type is, but for some reason it seems he once told me he'd been in the Navy when he was younger. I figured this might be where he learned to tie the special knots.
All I know is -- I worked with the two California guys for a long, long time, but when I finally went to all the work of gathering all the information, including the time periods in which JDR was in California, and his current whereabouts, and when I handed over my information that was the end of my conversations with the two California men [one of which was a cop]. Same story all across this nation....... give us your information, get off the property, and keep your mouth shut.
That's okay. It's all documented, and I still have all the records and/or correspondence, and now everyone who visits this page will at least have this guys initials. So if or when the day ever comes that he's actually accused and/or charged with these crimes, everyone can rest assured the authorities knew who he was and where he was long ago. [PS: His last name contains ten letters]

http://users.1st.net/mwells/StarlightInnerPrizes.htm

Starlight,
that is very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Is this guy a known killer that we may have heard of? Also, do you know of what any of his tattoos are? Scary he will be getting out in a few years.

No, as far as I know he's never been questioned or suspected of any killings. However, I interviewed his mother in an effort to find out where he was, and that's when I learned that he was in prison in West Virginia. His mother lives in West Virginia also, and he was staying with her at the time he got into 'a little trouble,' as mama put it, and ended up 'back' in prison. She would not tell me what he went to prison for and although I tried checking the inmate records I could not get any info.
All I know is, he had an enormous amount of information about a 1986 West Virginia murder that remains unsolved. And he wanted real bad to meet me! I stalled every time because I just didn't feel things were right with him.
He seems to have difficulty holding a job and maintaining long term relationships ...... both of which were red flags to me.
I don't remember what he said his tattoos were of. I used to have a picture of him, but I'm not sure I still have it. I will look when I get a chance. If I still have it, maybe I can see one or more of the tattoos. If so, I'll let you know what they are.

That is very interesting starlight and could really possibly be him. I figure with the way he (the original nightstalker) did things he did just move somewhere else. But what a lot of people never seem to think about is he changed what and how he did it when he changed areas. I wonder has he been moving around all of these years and done it different ways because he thinks he is so much smarter than everyone else and if he does that he gets new thrills and he doesn't get linked to all of them or get caught. He would have had no idea back then about DNA but with all of the DNA stuff so in the forfront of our media he would be very careful about that now. He is not an unintelligent man. My other theory is what if he had turned evidence in to the FBI let them get someone or a group of people and they let him off. Hence the police would have been told in no uncertain terms to back off. He could be killing under the protection of the FBI without them realizing that he is still doing it just another way?

I have been trying to find if the appearance of this man changed much from the rapes to the murders. Haven't found a new description. I wonder did he change much? You know as we get older many of us get heavier or bald? Things like that. Does anyone know if the description changed?

Did a cursory search of the site and didn't find much of anything on the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker case. Thought I would start a thread on it. Here's a quick background from Wikipedia:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Night_Stalker"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Night_Stalker[/ame]

The Original Night Stalker is the nickname for an unidentified serial killer and rapist who murdered six people in Southern California from 1979 through 1986[1]. The crimes attributed to this serial killer are not related to the crimes of Richard Ramirez, who was also dubbed The Night Stalker in the mid-1980s[2]. Six murders in Ventura, Dana Point and Irvine, California, have been linked by DNA evidence to the Original Night Stalker. The Original Night Stalker is considered one of the worst serial offenders in California, and American history, and is also connected to at least 50 other rapes in California, and is the most prolific unapprehended serial criminal in history since the Middle Ages.

There have been was a truly excellent Cold Case Files episode dedicated to this case. As well as a very recent episode of THS Investigates. Both chronicle the crimes very well. What I have always found most interesting about this case is that very little is known (at least publicly) about the main suspects in this case.

I have never heard of anyone being suspsected in this case as with other prolific Cold Cases, there are typically at least one or two prime suspects. With this one however, nada.

Would love to hear any insights on this case that anyone has.

I saw that Cold Case Files as well. They were finally able to prove the EAR and ONS were the same person right?

I was so confused by the name of the thread. I was thinking Ear-ons and imagining like fake Spock ears or something. Now it all makes sense.

Edit to add: http://www.ear-ons.com/index2.html (great comprehensive website)

Interesting. They think the same guy was also the Visalia Ransacker in 1974. The guy broke into people's houses and ransacked the place but rarely took anything. Finally he tried to kidnap a girl from her home and killed her father in the process.
The ransackings continued and LE actually almost caught the guy but he shot at them and got away.
If this really is the same guy it creates quite a portrait of the evolution of a serial killer. He started small with burglaries, moved to rape and ultimately murder.
http://www.ear-ons.com/visalia.html

I could swear we had a topic on this case here already (in fact, I remember posting in it), but I can't find it either.
I, too, saw both the CCF and THS Investigates shows on the case. Very creepy stuff.

Interesting. They think the same guy was also the Visalia Ransacker in 1974. The guy broke into people's houses and ransacked the place but rarely took anything. Finally he tried to kidnap a girl from her home and killed her father in the process.
The ransackings continued and LE actually almost caught the guy but he shot at them and got away.
If this really is the same guy it creates quite a portrait of the evolution of a serial killer. He started small with burglaries, moved to rape and ultimately murder.
http://www.ear-ons.com/visalia.html

Definitely seems as though he got more brazen as he continued to strike. To me the absolute creepiest attack is the one on the wife of the man who, in a town meeting regarding the EAR, said "I can't believe a man would just sit there while his wife is raped and not do anything". Shortly after that town hall, he and his wife were attacked by the EAR in their home, same m.o. That means the guy was right there with them in the town hall.

I honestly can't believe this guy hasn't been caught. Given the wealth of DNA evidence in this case and the fact that they were able to link EAR attacks to ONS attacks... covers a lot of jurisdicitons. Either he completely stopped after 1986 or he died. I don't think he moved though, he seemed to really get off on being near his hunting ground. Maybe he had a life changing event kind of like say, Zodiac?

I've read on other boards that people have eluded to the fact that there is a suspect in the case, a very good one at that. But there isn't enough evidence or something. In that case, I don't understand why LE doesn't do some dumpster diving or something to pick up his saliva on a cup or whatever.

Anyone heard of any good suspects in this case? This is the type of case that makes the amateur detective in me want to go all Charles Bronson on this guy. This guy was the devil.

I'm suprised that they don't or didn't have suspects. The sketches shown of the suspect were very good and someone should have been recognized. They even have a recorded message from the maniac. Maybe there is some tip buried among hundreds that just hasn't been found yet or was overlooked years ago.

Definitely seems as though he got more brazen as he continued to strike. To me the absolute creepiest attack is the one on the wife of the man who, in a town meeting regarding the EAR, said "I can't believe a man would just sit there while his wife is raped and not do anything". Shortly after that town hall, he and his wife were attacked by the EAR in their home, same m.o. That means the guy was right there with them in the town hall.

I don't think I had ever heard of that before. It is indeed very creepy.
Most serial killers don't just stop without a reason like jail, death, maybe becoming religious, etc but it does happen. BTK is a good example. If he moved on and continued he must have decided to become very mobile and not concentrate on specific areas but started behaving more like Ted Bundy going from state to state.

I can't find any names as far as suspects. The Grim Sleeper in LA started killing in 1985 around the same time EAR/ONS disappeared. I think they have DNA in the GS killings too. I don't know if they have been compared. There is the issue of race as the GS is described as being a black male.

GS is interesting because his reign has continued over decades. He has reared his head again in LA recently.

Bumping!

Post, people, post! This is interesting!! One of the most prolific serial killers in US history is unknown and remains unsolved without any really good suspects.

Bumping. Cold Case Files just did a rerun of their episode about the EAR/ONS. It is truly a fascinating case. I would love to see some more discussion. There is so much focus on Zodiac and a few others which are of course interesting but ONS/EAR has raped and/or killed way more people and is one of the most prolific serial killers in American history.

The message he left on one of his victims answering machine is honestly one of the most chilling things I have heard. It literally gave me goosebumps.

Also the fact the man who stood up at the town hall meeting expressing his doubt that the ONS/EARS was able to subdue the male while he rapes his wife and then a few weeks later that same man was targeted by EAR/ONS. CREEPY. I wonder if the people at the meeting wore name tags or announced their name when they spoke at the mic or if the ONS followed this man home to find out where he lived.

As of right now investigators are still actively investigating these murders and rapes and after getting the law passed forcing inmates to give DNA samples LE are having every man on death row who fits into the age group tested.

A man like EAR/ONS doesn't just stop unless he either died, was arrested, decided to go dormant or only kill few and far between or he has become very transient committing murders all around the country so they would not be linked although I think this person likes the attention and would want people to know he is still out there and active. I mentioned before that I wonder if he could be the Grim Sleeper. Those attacks started happening about the time the ONS went dormant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member