Should Darlie have a new trial?

Should Darlie Routier be given a new trial?

• Total voters
Parenting mags? You HAVE to be kidding me!?!?!?!
Maybe she is trying to come up with new ideas that good parents practice that she can claim she was doing back when her kids were still alive, just in case she ever does get that trial. After all, she WAS the perfect mom in hers and her family's eyes, at least in THEIR opinion. Why not pad the resume a bit right? Sheesh.

OMG, I can't stop laughing. LOL you have Darlie's number alright.. I love the new poster's "locking the barn door after the horses escaped" analogy as well.

If not a new trial, IMO ALL of the evidence should be thoroughly tested by these pro bono appellate attorneys and some independent experts. Allow me to elaborate.

As I've stated before, I've read about this case for a while now. Most all of the posters here and on other message boards who are avid "Darlie Did It"s are keen sleuthers with keen hinky meters. Y'all are absolutely right about Darlie's changing stories (Darin's too), and the evidence presented by the prosecution.

I strongly, but respectfully, disagree with the opinions about Mulder presenting a stellar defense in this case. He offered no experts to counter the prosecution experts on the fibers on the knife, blood on the nightshirt, fingerprints, bloody footprints, blood in the garage, etc. If he is as good of a defense attorney as those who know his reputation claim, this makes no sense....none at all. Until you look at why the other attorneys were fired.

Darlie's appointed counsel (public defenders) were looking at evidence that would implicate Darin. I guess when your attorneys are free, you are not allowed to dictate the defense they will or will not use. So, these were fired and Mulder hired with the understanding that he would not present evidence that suggested Darin was the killer. For a long time, I understood this. Then this appeal stuff came out and I'm like.....wait, she said it wasn't Darin and now she's saying she doesn't know? WTH :confused:

I've always believed that just one parent couldn't have done everything without help from the other one, even if the help was just in covering up. That's makes them both just as guilty in my book. So, if Darlie is guilty, I believe Darin is too.

Test the evidence. The Darlie site claims the weapon that killed Devon was never found. IIRC, no one was tried for Devon's murder. Darlie was tried for Damon's murder. Maybe she did kill Damon. Test the evidence. I'd like to know.....with better testing procedures and methods today, will the evidence show exactly who killed Devon? His murder should be avenged as well.

You see, as I was reading over the appeal in response to a poster on another thread, I had a scenario that I'd never considered, or seen considered before, cross my mind. It, like many others, is pure speculation on my part, so I won't bore y'all with it. However, it would answer many questions I've been asking for a long time. And if it's true, another person belongs on death row. Test the evidence.

OMG, I can't stop laughing. LOL you have Darlie's number alright.. I love the new poster's "locking the barn door after the horses escaped" analogy as well.

It IS funny, I am only sorry that it has come at the boys exspense.

If not a new trial, IMO ALL of the evidence should be thoroughly tested by these pro bono appellate attorneys and some independent experts. Allow me to elaborate.

As I've stated before, I've read about this case for a while now. Most all of the posters here and on other message boards who are avid "Darlie Did It"s are keen sleuthers with keen hinky meters. Y'all are absolutely right about Darlie's changing stories (Darin's too), and the evidence presented by the prosecution.

I strongly, but respectfully, disagree with the opinions about Mulder presenting a stellar defense in this case. He offered no experts to counter the prosecution experts on the fibers on the knife, blood on the nightshirt, fingerprints, bloody footprints, blood in the garage, etc. If he is as good of a defense attorney as those who know his reputation claim, this makes no sense....none at all. Until you look at why the other attorneys were fired.

Darlie's appointed counsel (public defenders) were looking at evidence that would implicate Darin. I guess when your attorneys are free, you are not allowed to dictate the defense they will or will not use. So, these were fired and Mulder hired with the understanding that he would not present evidence that suggested Darin was the killer. For a long time, I understood this. Then this appeal stuff came out and I'm like.....wait, she said it wasn't Darin and now she's saying she doesn't know? WTH :confused:

I've always believed that just one parent couldn't have done everything without help from the other one, even if the help was just in covering up. That's makes them both just as guilty in my book. So, if Darlie is guilty, I believe Darin is too.

Test the evidence. The Darlie site claims the weapon that killed Devon was never found. IIRC, no one was tried for Devon's murder. Darlie was tried for Damon's murder. Maybe she did kill Damon. Test the evidence. I'd like to know.....with better testing procedures and methods today, will the evidence show exactly who killed Devon? His murder should be avenged as well.

You see, as I was reading over the appeal in response to a poster on another thread, I had a scenario that I'd never considered, or seen considered before, cross my mind. It, like many others, is pure speculation on my part, so I won't bore y'all with it. However, it would answer many questions I've been asking for a long time. And if it's true, another person belongs on death row. Test the evidence.

I think many of us here believe Darin is somehow involved. I for one do not believe he killed the boys. Darin was first investigated..no evidence. So Darlie's pd's wanted to accuse him as the killer, it's an old defence ploy when there are two defendants so why not use it in this instance. All of the evidence in that house points to Darlie as the killer not Darin. And I agree with you that one could not have done everything without the other....

That's why her story kept changing as she learned the evidence against her.

My own opinion is that burglary story was phoney..Darin's way to help Darlie and when it failed now Darlie says she just "doesn't know" what to think about Darin..LOL, all his efforts failed you duffus that's what's you should think..he can't fulfill your demands this time.

We all want the evidence tested..but it's been tested. Should we allow defendants access to testing every few years as techniques grow and science changes? We all want it tested. Do you know what the delay is with the state court? does anyone know?

I think many of us here believe Darin is somehow involved. I for one do not believe he killed the boys. Darin was first investigated..no evidence. So Darlie's pd's wanted to accuse him as the killer, it's an old defence ploy when there are two defendants so why not use it in this instance. All of the evidence in that house points to Darlie as the killer not Darin. And I agree with you that one could not have done everything without the other....

That's why her story kept changing as she learned the evidence against her.

My own opinion is that burglary story was phoney..Darin's way to help Darlie and when it failed now Darlie says she just "doesn't know" what to think about Darin..LOL, all his efforts failed you duffus that's what's you should think..he can't fulfill your demands this time.

We all want the evidence tested..but it's been tested. Should we allow defendants access to testing every few years as techniques grow and science changes? We all want it tested. Do you know what the delay is with the state court? does anyone know?
No, I don't know what the delay is.

Darlie was prosecuted for Damon's murder. The state had no reason to present any evidence about Devon. I remember seeing pictures of him. From what I could see....and I've never seen the book, MTJD, but the pics I did see....it appeared that Devon was standing up when he was stabbed. The sock in the alley has always baffled me. I can't dismiss it. Darin's jeans are another huge unanswered question. There are too many unanswered questions in this case. The state didn't need any more. The defense does. For some reason, Mulder just didn't care.

Darlie was prosecuted for Damon's murder. The state had no reason to present any evidence about Devon. I remember seeing pictures of him. From what I could see....and I've never seen the book, MTJD, but the pics I did see....it appeared that Devon was standing up when he was stabbed. The sock in the alley has always baffled me. I can't dismiss it. Darin's jeans are another huge unanswered question. There are too many unanswered questions in this case. The state didn't need any more. The defense does. For some reason, Mulder just didn't care.

The state didn't prosecute Darlie for Devon's murder on the chance that she could have been found innocent of Damon's murder...then they would have a second chance to put her where she belongs by prosecuting her for Devon's. EXTREMELY SMART MOVE, imo.
I have never seen or heard ANY evidence that suggested Devon was standing up when he was stabbed. What makes you think this?

The state didn't prosecute Darlie for Devon's murder on the chance that she could have been found innocent of Damon's murder...then they would have a second chance to put her where she belongs by prosecuting her for Devon's. EXTREMELY SMART MOVE, imo.
I have never seen or heard ANY evidence that suggested Devon was standing up when he was stabbed. What makes you think this?
Looking at the pics I've seen makes me think it. IIRC, it appears his blood ran down his body into his underwear. I'm no expert by far, but I don't think it would look that way were he in a prone position when stabbed.

Looking at the pics I've seen makes me think it. IIRC, it appears his blood ran down his body into his underwear. I'm no expert by far, but I don't think it would look that way were he in a prone position when stabbed.

I was under the impression that the reason the blood appeared this way, was because of the wet towels that Darlie kept getting from the kitchen. Too me it does look like the blood has come in contact with some water which caused it to "pool" the way it did. I honestly believe that both boys were attacked in their sleep and that Devon never moved from the spot he fell asleep at, which is why his blood was primarily found in this spot. Damon might not of awaken during the 1st stabbing but did waken shortly after, which is why there is a "blood trail" from Damon. I believe when he woke up was when Darlie saw him moving and stabbed him again, this is when he realized his mother was trying to kill him and was trying to get away from her. I CAN'T IMAGINE THE CONFUSION THIS POOR LITTLE 5 YEAR OLD HAD AT THIS TIME. IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY!!!!

I think she should have a new trial for several reasons.
I am not sure of guilt or innocence, but I am sure she didn't get a fair trail.

One question that I have, why did she call 911 with one child still living and breathing to be a witness against her???? I would have to think that if she was the murderer, and staged this crime scene as many say she did, that her first priority would have been to leave neither child alive to tell that Mommy did it!

Just one of those things that makes this case difficult.

One question that I have, why did she call 911 with one child still living and breathing to be a witness against her???? I would have to think that if she was the murderer, and staged this crime scene as many say she did, that her first priority would have been to leave neither child alive to tell that Mommy did it!

Darlie thought they were both dead when she first placed that call.

Me neither but I believe that could have come from Darin's applying CPR to Devon.

Damon was near death when the police responded and he actually died in the paramedics arms. I don't think a traumatized child, gasping for breath, is going to tell anyone his "mommy did it" but hey that's just me.

I think she made the 911 call for herself.

I don't think he was. Darin performed CPR on Devon, when he blew into his mouth blood flew out of the chest wound.

What about the sock in the alley can't you dismiss? How do you think it got there and why isn't any of Darlie's blood on it?

Why are Darin's jeans a huge unanswered question? They were tested. Darin's statement of his movements that night places him with all three victims....we can expect him to have all three blood types on his jeans. As well, Laber does not state that the blood on Darin's jeans is consistant with his being there during the stabbings just that the stains should be subject to genetic testing.

Well since i'm not a lawyer or a judge I can't comment on Mulder.

I don't think he was. Darin performed CPR on Devon, when he blew into his mouth blood flew out of the chest wound.

What about the sock in the alley can't you dismiss? How do you think it got there and why isn't any of Darlie's blood on it?

Why are Darin's jeans a huge unanswered question? They were tested. Darin's statement of his movements that night places him with all three victims....we can expect him to have all three blood types on his jeans. As well, Laber does not state that the blood on Darin's jeans is consistant with his being there during the stabbings just that the stains should be subject to genetic testing.

I think for the blood to have ran down his body and into his underwear like that, he would have had to be standing....wet towels or not. But I certainly don't know that for sure. It's JMO.

I can't dismiss the sock. I don't know how it got there. I haven't seen a good explanation for it yet. If Darlie's blood isn't on it, maybe Darin put it there.

I didn't realize Darin's jeans had been tested. Where can I find that?

I also can't figure out the big deal about Darin's jeans. There was blood everywhere...I don't find it odd at all that he would have all 3's blood on him.

I also can't figure out the big deal about Darin's jeans. There was blood everywhere...I don't find it odd at all that he would have all 3's blood on him.
Blood being on Darin's jeans wouldn't be odd. Whether it was smeared, splatter, or spatter would be interesting and informative. Where can I find the test results?

Blood being on Darin's jeans wouldn't be odd. Whether it was smeared, splatter, or spatter would be interesting and informative. Where can I find the test results?

Darin's blue jeans were tested, according to Charles Linch's Affidavit dated July/11/2002:

"On August 23, 1996, Douglas Parks, Wayne Huff, and Cliff Jenkins were accompanied by two forensic scientists, Bart Epstein and Terry Laber. It was my understanding that Bart Epstein and Terry Laber had been retained by Douglas Parks and Wayne Huff to conduct a forensic analysis of the physical and trace evidence in my custody. Bart Epstein, Terry Laber and I met for approximately three hours to discuss the evidence in the Routier case. During that meeting, Bart Epstein and Terry Laber reviewed the evidence in my possession, including, but not limited to:
a. All microscope slides I had prepared;
b. The nightshirt worn by Darlie Routier on the night of the murders;
c. The Hoover vacuum cleaner;
d. The large maroon pillow;
e. Pieces of carpet and flooring containing blood stains and spatters; and
f. Darin Routier's blood-stained blue jeans.

Darlie had a total of 7 well-respected attorneys, 2 nationally-known forensic scientists, as well as a private investigator working on her defense. I think it's safe to say that Darin's jeans didn't help either side's case, which is why they weren't admitted into evidence.

Darin's blue jeans were tested, according to Charles Linch's Affidavit dated July/11/2002:

"On August 23, 1996, Douglas Parks, Wayne Huff, and Cliff Jenkins were accompanied by two forensic scientists, Bart Epstein and Terry Laber. It was my understanding that Bart Epstein and Terry Laber had been retained by Douglas Parks and Wayne Huff to conduct a forensic analysis of the physical and trace evidence in my custody. Bart Epstein, Terry Laber and I met for approximately three hours to discuss the evidence in the Routier case. During that meeting, Bart Epstein and Terry Laber reviewed the evidence in my possession, including, but not limited to:
a. All microscope slides I had prepared;
b. The nightshirt worn by Darlie Routier on the night of the murders;
c. The Hoover vacuum cleaner;
d. The large maroon pillow;
e. Pieces of carpet and flooring containing blood stains and spatters; and
f. Darin Routier's blood-stained blue jeans.

Darlie had a total of 7 well-respected attorneys, 2 nationally-known forensic scientists, as well as a private investigator working on her defense. I think it's safe to say that Darin's jeans didn't help either side's case, which is why they weren't admitted into evidence.
Thanks Mary.

I don't think "it's safe to say that Darin's jeans didn't help either side's case" so that's why they weren't admitted into evidence. Apparently, Mulder didn't think he needed to use anything tested or found before he came on board. This would be in keeping with the agreement to hire him - to keep the jury from hearing evidence that would implicate Darin.

I want her to get a new trial because then all those claiming Darlie is innocent will realize that Darlie truly is the killer of her children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back