MS MS - Leigh Occhi, 13, Tupelo, 27 Aug 1992

Were the last 3 addresses the most recent for her or can you tell? I wonder if it's possible that she lived in those places before she married Yarborough.

OMG what are you doing up so late! lol

I got that information from intellus (sp) I do not suscribe to their service but knew it would give me some basics to look in on.

Those places were under the name Yarborough so I am going to go out on a limb and say that those were after the fact that she was married to him due to the fact that there was not a maiden name attached to those addresses.

The top four came back for both of them. The Mexia, TX only comes back to him. She is shown to have lived in all those places on the top four then the VA and TX come back to her only. There was another females name attached to both of them, I am assuming (IMO) that is their daughter, it shows the same addresses as Vickie. There are also two male names that both come back with the same addresses as the step father. All those are 21 and under so that is why I assume these are their chidren.

(I'm a night owl) :dance:

Thanks! I often wondered how you search past addresses and such.

The top four came back for both of them. The Mexia, TX only comes back to him. She is shown to have lived in all those places on the top four then the VA and TX come back to her only. There was another females name attached to both of them, I am assuming (IMO) that is their daughter, it shows the same addresses as Vickie. There are also two male names that both come back with the same addresses as the step father. All those are 21 and under so that is why I assume these are their chidren.

Wonder what the kids know. I bet if the police had a do-over opportunity, this would be high on their list.

From what I can tell it looks like she had a little boy at the time Leigh went missing and the other boy and girl come along later. I could be totally wrong here, it bites because if I had the extra funds to pay for these reports I could see more into this.

You're welcome Hope4lost. I only wish I knew more. Leigh went missing a few years before I moved here. So, I didn't know her (she was younger anyway), don't know anyone in her family, nothing. Every few years the newspaper will do an article on her, but it's never anything more than has already been reported. Leigh's house is probably less than 2 miles from where I live now. When I pass her street, I can't help but think of her.

When I spoke to Lt. Aguirre, he only told me that one piece of info. He didn't seem to want to get into more, which is totally understandable. Also, for many years, there was always an ad in the classifieds w/ a picture of Leigh, requesting any info on her whereabouts. I think there was mention of a reward. I always wondered if her family put that ad in or if it was the police.

Shopper, Vickie placed that ad and she upped the reward from $3K to $5K There was an article that stated such, so that is how I know that. Another thing that bothers me is that if she were really holding on to faith that her daughter were to come home, why did she move around as she has? I would think that if someone were holding on to faith that they would not want to move or change their phone number or anything in the event that tehir loved one would come home or call home someday. I wish I could find the dates listed for those addresses. Then we would know just how long the family stayed in the home.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like anyone who really thinks their child is ever coming home.

Shopper, you said that you live about 2 miles from Leighs house. Were not to far from each other. Glad to know I am not the only one in this middle of nowhere place that comes to this site.

http://www.djournal.com/pages/archive.asp?ID=90792&pub=1&div=News
Leigh Occhi 8-28 12/18/2003 4:16:24 PM

After nine years, girl still missing; case remains open

By Sandi Pullen

Daily Journal

Nine years after 13-year-old Leigh Occhi's disappearance, her whereabouts remain a mystery.

Leigh was reported missing Aug. 27, 1992, from her Tupelo home. At the time of her disappearance, she had just celebrated her 13th birthday. She was a thin, blonde teen-age girl getting ready to start the eighth grade at Tupelo Middle School.

"We have conducted searches, we have interviewed people, conducted polygraphs, we have followed up on leads," said Lt. Bart Aguirre, detective with the Tupelo Police Department.

Aguirre said there have been no arrests since Leigh's disappearance and there are no suspects.

"We do believe there was foul play in the case," he said. "There was blood, quite a lot of blood at the scene."

Leigh's mother, Vickie Felton, told police she became suspicious when she called home from work around 9 a.m. that morning and no one answered the phone. She rushed to the Honey Locust Drive residence, and found the garage door open, she told police.

When they arrived on the scene, police found blood stains on the carpet, on a bathroom counter top and some blood stains and hair on a door frame. Tests all show the blood was human, came from the same person and could match Leigh's blood type.

The blood found was type O, and Leigh's type is either A or O.

Throughout the nine years since Leigh's disappearance, investigators received many leads, but nothing pointed conclusively to her whereabouts. Her parents hired a private investigator and even consulted psychics, but that, too, proved fruitless.

"It's still an active case and we are following any leads or tips that might lead to the whereabouts of her and a suspect that may have had something to do with her disappearance," Aguirre said. "We don't know if she's dead or not."

Aguirre said the latest lead came in the mail a week ago. He is following up on that lead, he said.

"I wish something would turn up on it," Aguirre said.

I will be in Mississippi this coming week to research the mysterious disappearance of Leigh Marine Occhi, a 13-year-old girl who went missing from her Tupelo home in August 1992.

According to police, foul play is suspected. Please contact me if you have any information on the case. Otherwise, be sure to check back here late next week to read about it.

Click here to view Leigh's missing child flyer

---
David Lohr

Crimewriter, I would love to hear what you find out on this case. Leigh's disappearance happend a few years before I moved here, but I remember seeing ads in the Daily Journal, offering a reward for information on her. I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Even though I didn't live here when she disappeared, I guess the true crime buff in me has always been interested and hoped to see some resolution.

Part 1 of a four-part series

I recently spent a week in Tupelo, Mississippi, looking into the disappearance of Leigh Marine Occhi. I had been vaguely aware of the case prior to my trip, having visited the area several times over the years. It was one of the cases – all writers have them – that I had filed into memory and intended to look into at one time or another. That time finally came this past week. Given the passage of nearly two decades since the disappearance, I was skeptical as to what I would be able to uncover; however to my surprise I could track down several key players in the case, including Leigh's parents, one of the original police investigators, Leigh's boyfriend, and the diligent investigative reporter who first covered the case for the Tupelo Daily Journal. Throughout this four-part series, you will hear many sides to this case, which will paint a picture of Leigh and her unexplained disappearance. In the end, you can decide for yourself what happened that fateful day in 1992.

Read the rest here:
http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2009/07/leigh-marine-occhi.html

Nice. Thank you David for bringing some much needed new attention to Leigh's disappearence. I haven't had a chance to read your article yet but plan on reading it during lunch.

Edit to Add:

Just read part 1 and so far so good. Good enough I don't want to have to wait for part 2! Leigh disappeared so quickly after her mother left that it seems like someone was watching to house or was familiar with their schedule and knew that Leigh would be alone after 7:45am. I have never read much about why Vicki and her second husband split up. Was it amicable? Why did they split up?

I read the first installment and found it very interesting. There are a lot of indications of deception in the mother's statement. We can start with the observation that there is a lot of extraneous detail in the story, at attempt to sell it as the "truth". Here are some more specific issues that I see:

• There is the matter of the garage door and her initial search through the house. She is "sure" she put the garage door down but she "doesn't remember." She switches verb tense as she talks about moving through the house.

• There is also the bizarre statement that she touched her daughter on the face and spoke to her but she says in the next sentence she didn't want to wake her up by turning on the light.

• She talks about reading the paper but never mentions anything her daughter says or does on that morning. She "says goodbye" to her daughter but never indicates that her 13 year-old says anything to her at all?

• Furthermore, turning upside down in the bed would not make the snoring any less audible. You can hear some people in the next room.

See Mark McLish's statement analysis site for his criteria for determining if a statement is true or not. This is just what I saw AS I WAS READING. A closer analysis would yield a lot more. That said, obvious JMHO. Great article; looking forward to the next installment.

http://www.statementanalysis.com/lying/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288