CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing teen's family continues hunt for answers

It was 10 years ago today that Kristin Smart, an athletic, tall and vibrant 19-year-old woman from Stockton vanished from a college campus in San Luis Obispo.

Her disappearance touched off a nationwide story, and hundreds traveled to help find her. Even more have posted their own theories on Web sites speculating what happened after she left a drunken party at California Polytechnic State University.

Still, no arrests have been made, and she has never been found.

much more at link
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060525/NEWS01/605250335/1001

Was this the girl whom there was some question during the Laci case that SP might have known her/had something to do with her disappearance, but it was ruled out?

Prayers for her, her family, and for all the missing.

Ten and a half years after she vanished from the Cal Poly campus, the Kristin Smart case is back in a San Luis Obispo County courtroom.

Still to this day, no one has ever been charged with Kristin's death. And almost a decade after her disappearance, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's detectives insist her case remains active and open.

Today, attorneys representing the Smart family, the County and Paul Flores went before a county judge. The Smart family's attorney is seeking the case file from the Sheriff's Department for a civil case the family has filed against Paul Flores.

The former Cal Poly student is the last person seen with Kristin and considered a "person of interest" by authorities. The Sheriff's Department does not want to release the information, saying it would jeopardize their investigation.

http://www.ksby.com/news/headlines/5125796.html

I wonder if the judge made that ruling yet? When I filed a civil suit against the city of Anacortes, Washington my attorney was able to get all of the files on the murder of my daughter even though the killer was still on the run. I don't believe that he had any problems getting the files. We knew who the killer was and there was a warrent out for him and he had been charged but he sure hadn't been taken to trial yet. It seems it should be easier to get the files if no suspect has been named yet. I don't know but that is how it seems to me. I guess it just depends on the police department and if they want to hand over the files or not.

I'm wondering how easy it would be to win a civil suit if the person they are going after...Flores...hasn't been charged with murder?

It is unbelievable that Kristen has never been found. It seems that someone should have stumbled upon on her at some point unless he took her way out in a rural area and buried her so deep that she wouldn't ever be found. Are there rural areas around there where that might be possible?

My heart goes out to Kristen's family. I can't even begin to imagine what they have been living through after all of these years. A person couldn't possibly go on with their life not knowing what happened to their daughter. What a nightmare.

Bobbisangel said:
It is unbelievable that Kristen has never been found. It seems that someone should have stumbled upon on her at some point unless he took her way out in a rural area and buried her so deep that she wouldn't ever be found. Are there rural areas around there where that might be possible?
It's not that incredible. If she was put in a Dumpster and taken away with the rest of the trash, her body would be in a landfill and would never be found unless someone was actively looking for it -- and maybe not even then.

If you look at Doe or at the Charley Project you'll find loads of cases of obviously dead missing people whose bodies never turned up and never will.

The San Luis Obispo Sheriff's department received a tip to what might be the missing remains of vanished Cal Poly student Kristin Smart.
Officials say the tip indicated that bones were found in a Cal Poly water tank, possibly related to the Smart case.
Detectives checked out the tank Friday but did not find any human remains.
Smart went missing nearly 11 years ago.
The 19-year-old was last seen walking home from a party

http://www.keyt.com/news/local/5915746.html

Wow, it would be nice for them to finally find her remains...

I recall Scott Peterson being mentioned because he was in San Luis Obispo at the time- did LE ever rule him out?

I am pretty sure that he was ruled out or discounted awhile ago. If you goto www.sonofsusan.com, you can read all about the case and the main suspect Paul Flores.

This is from the above website - more at the link

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Scott Peterson and Paul Flores[/font]​
1x1.gif

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]So many people ask me if there is any chance that Scott may be involved in Kristin's disappearance. I have decided that now is a good time to let you know what I know and leave it up to you to make up your own mind.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]First, regardless of whether or not Scott is involved, one thing is for sure...Paul Flores is definitely involved in the respect that at the very least he knows more than he is saying and he and his family are refusing to cooperate with investigators. This is not a case of either/or. It is more a matter if Paul had any help and if so, was Scott Peterson one of those who helped.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The common thread here is Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. All of the main players went to college there at the same time. That includes Kristin, Paul, Laci, Scott as well as Ermelinda Flores (Paul's sister) and Brett MAcArthur - the man Ermelinda eventually married.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I am not positive that Ermelinda and Brett attended Cal Poly at the same time - but I was told that they were also students.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]After Kristin vanished, investigators covered the campus with a massive interview sweep which included, as I understand it, about 600 letters to students who were living on campus asking if anyone knew anything about Kristin's case.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Scott Peterson was mailed one of those letters but he never responded. That isn't saying all that much though because as it was told to me - a lot of students didn't respond.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]When the bright light of justice began to seriously bore in on Scott, this naturally brought much needed attention to Kristin. San Luis Obispo Sheriff's department did look into the possibility and even called the Smarts wondering if Kristin had ever mentioned Scott.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Then, rather quickly, San Luis Obispo Sheriff's department made a statement saying that there was no connection to Scott having anything to do with Kristin's case.[/font]

I was surprised that we didn't have a thread specifically for Kristen.

Kristin Smart's Family Hopes for Break in Case

Nearly 11 years to the day after the disappearance and murder of their daughter, the Smart family of Stockton is hopeful a break in the case is coming.

Kristin Smart was a freshman at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo when she disappeared while walking home from a party. The young man who was with her was never charged or called a suspect. Paul Flores is, however, described by investigators as a "person of interest."

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=28148

I sooo remember this case. I graduated from Cal Poly in 1996, the year Kristin went missing. I did not know her as our areas of study were very different and she was younger than me.

I can't help but chuckle with glee at this latest turn of events! That the Smart family gets to dig up the Flores' yards, because the Flores' are suing them, is just too good to be true.

And Mrs. Flores suing for emotional distress...... what is that about!?! It's Kristin's mom and dad (and other family members) that should be suing for emotional distress! Mrs. Flores' child has not disappeared at the hands of another! And to Mrs. Flores - I would like to say that you are the worst type of parent - the kind that does not teach her child to take responsibility for his/her actions. Look at him now, in jail AGAIN, for the 3rd time for DUI. Will you tell him it is not his fault when he causes an accident and hurts someone else? Will you buy him "justice" again, then?

Okay - sorry everyone. I'm ranting I know, but this case is very frustrating and very close to home.

Bump -

I found Kristin Smart and thought she looked alot like the Maricopa Jane Doe. However there's too big of a discrepancy in height. However, I do think Kristin can be found, simply because how many women are 6'1". has anyone ran her stats against UID"s lately?

Does anyone know if her DNA has been entered into CODIS.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.sonofsusan.com/

Susan Flores' yard did not contain any evidence of Kristin Smart's body. The search continues.
Wow. That actually surprises me a lot - I've followed this case since 1997, and I've always figured she was buried underneath the freshly poured concrete in the Flores' yard. I don't doubt for a second that Paul Flores is responsible for her death. I hope it haunts him.

I lived in the area at the time and followed this closely. It is a troubling case on many levels. Certainly, anytime a "nice" girl goes off to college and then falls prey to a campus predator, every parent feels a little fear for their own children. That fear is compounded when the crime goes unsolved. What is unique about this situation is that the victim's parents have waged what I would characterize as a campaign of harassment against the "prime suspect". Now I agree with most readers here that the "prime suspect" is "probably" guilty but clearly not "beyond all reasonable doubt". He was not prosecuted because they were insufficient admissible evidence. Cadaver dogs are not admissible for good reason. He made some inconsistent statements and he was the last person known to be with her but there is no forensic evidence and, of course, no body. There is no strong explanation for how the body was disposed of. The "prime suspect" had no known access to a vehicle and, if the body was placed in a dumpster, why did the extensive search of the landfill turn up nothing? Obviously this "negative" proves nothing but it does raise some reasonable doubt.

The parents of the victim put a billboard in the "prime suspects" home town that pretty much names him as the perp. They have also kept track of his movements and have made employers and landlords aware of their suspicions. The "prime suspect’s" life has been on a downward spiral ever since; spotty work history and multiple DUI's. This could be a result of the harassment or perhaps just the same character flaws that lead him to kill. His parents, particularly his mother, have suffered terribly through this and there is ZERO evidence that they had any role in any crime or cover-up. True, unlike the victim's parents, their child is still alive.

As a parent I sympathize with the victim's parents but I feel that they are out of line. In this particular case, I don't feel this board has played any active role in the harassment of the suspect but there are other cases where this board has been used for that purpose. Punishing someone because they "might" have commited a crime (whether it is incarceration or just this type of torment) is contrary to the western spirit of justice. That an innocent might have been punished is truley worse than the posibility that a guilty person escapes punishment.

I agree that some lines, between victim's family and possible perp, have been crossed here. But, I thought it was primarily Dennis Mahon-the guy from NC who created the "sonofsusan" website who has actually caused the most problems not Kristin's family? I could be wrong. I was unaware that they created a billboard in his hometown. How were they able to get that approved? I do remember something about the Flores family getting a restraining order and other charges (defamation of character, maybe) against Dennis Mahon.

I agree. I'm pretty sure it's Dennis Mahon and NOT her parents that do all of that... read his site. He's gotten himself into a lot of trouble in the past.

Interesting video from 2005. Dennis Mahon (who is a victim's advocate, not a relative of the Smart family) speaks for the first 3 or 4 mins and then Susan Flores speaks for the last couple of mins.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
Dennis Mahon/Susan Flores at Arroyo Grande City Council Meeting-April 2005
[/FONT]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8786342881032318077&q=Dennis+MAhon

*I personally never understood why the focus was only on his parent's house or the dorm room. I realize they needed to start somewhere, he was a college student with no car and no other place of residence at that time other than the parent's house. But, after 12 years, the campus police and city police should have been able to brainstorm some other scenarios/theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12