Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

I've had a bit of correspondence with attempttoidentify.com because they have her (Maricopa Jane Doe) as their active "case" on their website to see if they had check her against Michaela -

here is their response

I am actually waiting on the final word for that case (as I requested the info a while back) from the ME and will let you and others know when I get a response. The ME is very busy with other cases so it may take a while. I have been waiting since early Jan.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Attempt To Identify

*end of email*
[/FONT]

As soon as I hear back from them, I'll update here - just thought it'd be good to know others have sent the same info off to the ME's office there....
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I've had a bit of correspondence with attempttoidentify.com because they have her (Maricopa Jane Doe) as their active "case" on their website to see if they had check her against Michaela -

here is their response

I am actually waiting on the final word for that case (as I requested the info a while back) from the ME and will let you and others know when I get a response. The ME is very busy with other cases so it may take a while. I have been waiting since early Jan.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]Attempt To Identify[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif]*end of email*[/FONT]

As soon as I hear back from them, I'll update here - just thought it'd be good to know others have sent the same info off to the ME's office there....

This is great news - I sure hope they're being thorough. Has to be DNA or at the very least - dental. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Samantha Wilcoxen, Amanda Gallion, Danielle Hutton, Sara Bushland, Tiffany Chapman, Trinity Lorentz, Stephanie Condon, Jessie Peters, Sandy Schlamann, Christina Richard, Jennifer Collins, Elizabeth Sibthrip, Kimberly Riley, Lindsey Nicholls, Elise Baugh, Jamie Schill, Tera Smith, Deanna Merryfield, Morgan Nick, Melissa Brannen, Leigh Occhi, Brandy Myers, Suzanne Lyall, Kristy Rogers, Melissa Fadden, Monique Daniels, Amber Crum, Melissa McGuinn, Amber Swartz, Shannon Sherrill, Michaela Garecht, Heather Silver, Lisa Zaharias, Ekaterina Shcherbakova, Jaycee Dugard, Jennifer Sherrill, Kaelin Glazier, Brianne Wolgram, Danyel Sparpana, Danielle Pitcher, Sheila Egan, Jeanna Norte, Racheal Hayson, Susanna Loquay, Jennifer Louvau, Jaime Haas, Sara Macisaac, Amanda Mays, Jennifer Vagher, Nicholle Coppler, Trudy Appleby.

So Ekaterina has been ruled out? Darn, I was tossed up between her and Michaela. So, its neither of them!

I just saw that Ekaterina was on the list of ruled out too. I thought she might be ruled out. I had sent in a tip that she might still be alive. I don't know her, however.

Michaela was kidnapped 20 years ago today.

For me, this is more than a thread "bump" because of a tragic anniversary. Michaela's kidnapping was the first that I ever heard about. I was 4 years old in 1988, and I remember it well. Over the years, I have thought of her often, and have so longed for some closure in her case. Tonight, my thoughts are with her loved ones, and with Michaela herself. I hope she has been at peace for these many years, I know she will always have a place in my heart.

Michaela was kidnapped 20 years ago today.

For me, this is more than a thread "bump" because of a tragic anniversary. Michaela's kidnapping was the first that I ever heard about. I was 4 years old in 1988, and I remember it well. Over the years, I have thought of her often, and have so longed for some closure in her case. Tonight, my thoughts are with her loved ones, and with Michaela herself. I hope she has been at peace for these many years, I know she will always have a place in my heart.
I'm with you, Shecky. This was one of the first missing child cases I saw, on Unsolved Mysteries. I was about 6.

Here's a link to a story about the anniversary:

http://www.mercurynews.com/alamedacounty/ci_11023960

I provided the Hayward PD some new information about a suspect a couple of weeks ago on Michaela's case. The detective's response gave me reason to believe that this info could be valuable to identifying Michaela's kidnapper. I will keep people informed as I can about any new developments.

What is so sad is if the wrong description had not been given and put out they may have actually been able to catch the guy. For the first two days they were looking for the wrong person in the wrong car. Michaela and I were the same age in 1988.

I'm with you, Shecky. This was one of the first missing child cases I saw, on Unsolved Mysteries. I was about 6.

Here's a link to a story about the anniversary:

http://www.mercurynews.com/alamedacounty/ci_11023960

I remember seeing her profiled on Unsolved Mysteries when I was younger, too. Thanks for the news link! What a sad anniversary, I so wish her mother had some answers by now.

Dr. Doogie, that sounds promising! Can't wait to hear where this might lead!

I think Bindner looks just like the police sketch in the Garecht case, with the exception of grey hair but as 13 years had passed between her kidnapping and the picture, it could be him.

There are two different composites floating around of the Garecht abductor. The one with longer hair is based on eyewitnesses to Michaelea's kidnapper. The other "older" composite that shows the abductor with a slimmer face and a part in his hair is often portrayed as an age-progression of the first, but in reality it is a revised sketch created by an author who was writing a book attempting to prove that Bindner was the abductor, not by LE. In other words, it looks like Bindner because the person who modified it had a financial stake in it looking like Bindner. Michaela's mother has confirmed to me that she has zero faith in the "older" composite looking like Michaela's kidnapper and I believe her opinion is correct.

There are two different composites floating around of the Garecht abductor. The one with longer hair is based on eyewitnesses to Michaelea's kidnapper. The other "older" composite that shows the abductor with a slimmer face and a part in his hair is often portrayed as an age-progression of the first, but in reality it is a revised sketch created by an author who was writing a book attempting to prove that Bindner was the abductor, not by LE. In other words, it looks like Bindner because the person who modified it had a financial stake in it looking like Bindner. Michaela's mother has confirmed to me that she has zero faith in the "older" composite looking like Michaela's kidnapper and I believe her opinion is correct.

Are you saying John Philpin revised the sketch, or a different author? Philpin's book, Stalemate, is the only one I know about.

Are you saying John Philpin revised the sketch, or a different author? Philpin's book, Stalemate, is the only one I know about.

I was told the story behind that altered composite by Michaela's mother Sharon. She only stated that it was revised by "an author" as part of "a book". I made the same assumption as you concerning which author and which book, but she did not give specifics.

BTW, she also stated that the original composite (long hair / no part) was in black and white. A detective's wife later revised the original to add color. Sharon stated that the color version is problematic because it depicts blue eyes for the kidnapper. Michaela's abductor was seen only briefly and not closeup, so his actual eye color is unknown. People unfamilar with the details of this case may dismiss viable suspects based on unverified "facts" such as eye color.

I disagree that the author of "Stalemate", by John Philpin in 1997 was biased towards the guilt of Timothy Binder. If anything, I felt the book was almost too lenient in giving a pass to him. Philpin only showed both sides of the story between Binder and LE which is good writing in my view.

There were two very disturbing "coincidences" involving Binder and child disappearance but there was absolutely no evidence that could be used to prosecute him. I think Philpin was as baffled as I am. Binder had an unhealthy interest in young girls and he had a way of injecting himself into disappearance investigations that aroused suspicion, but he was thoroughly (and publically) investigated and nothing was found. Sometimes mysteries remain unsolved, killers go unpunished and innocent "suspects" go unvindicated. These cases may be in that category.

I disagree that the author of "Stalemate", by John Philpin in 1997 was biased towards the guilt of Timothy Binder. If anything, I felt the book was almost too lenient in giving a pass to him. Philpin only showed both sides of the story between Binder and LE which is good writing in my view.

Just to be clear: Michaela's mother did not say that the author in question was Philpen. She only stated "an author". It may have been a different author writing a different book that was never published or was self-published and so obscure that no one knows about it. I have not read Philpen's book, but I understand that it was quite well-done. I would hate to have his name besmirched if he is not the author in question. My point was not to accuse any author as it was to explain why the second, black and white, age-progressed composite was of little-to-no value.

Just to be clear: Michaela's mother did not say that the author in question was Philpen. She only stated "an author". It may have been a different author writing a different book that was never published or was self-published and so obscure that no one knows about it. I have not read Philpen's book, but I understand that it was quite well-done. I would hate to have his name besmirched if he is not the author in question. My point was not to accuse any author as it was to explain why the second, black and white, age-progressed composite was of little-to-no value.

Unfortunately "Stalemate" is out of print but can be found on Amazon, etc. I paid about $0.18 for it a few months back. It's a very well done book, with no overt prejudice by the author that would hinder the true and few facts that are known of the cases in question. Timothy Binder's actions and behavior portray a very sick person, and it's no wonder why he was looked at extensively by LE.

One of the frustrating things about these cases in California linked to Binder is that LE spent so much time looking at him to either eliminate or exonerate him that they, in hindsight, probably lost what few leads/clues/connections there were. What's important here is that it was Binder's own doing. This nut kept sending letters to young girls, visiting the parents of the missing, hanging out at murdered girls gravesites, and playing games with LE non-stop- and this is after he was being looked at as a potential suspect. He actually won a lawsuit in Cali for harassment! Who knows what he's doing these days. That's kind of scary to think of.

Unfortunately "Stalemate" is out of print but can be found on Amazon, etc. I paid about $0.18 for it a few months back. It's a very well done book, with no overt prejudice by the author that would hinder the true and few facts that are known of the cases in question. Timothy Binder's actions and behavior portray a very sick person, and it's no wonder why he was looked at extensively by LE.

One of the frustrating things about these cases in California linked to Binder is that LE spent so much time looking at him to either eliminate or exonerate him that they, in hindsight, probably lost what few leads/clues/connections there were. What's important here is that it was Binder's own doing. This nut kept sending letters to young girls, visiting the parents of the missing, hanging out at murdered girls gravesites, and playing games with LE non-stop- and this is after he was being looked at as a potential suspect. He actually won a lawsuit in Cali for harassment! Who knows what he's doing these days. That's kind of scary to think of.
I read the book and thought it was very good as well. I believed Bindner was guilty after I was finished, at least in the Amber Swartz-Garcia, Garecht and Amanda Nikki Campbell abductions. The girls had too many similarities and they were all taken in such a close proximity and time period, it seemed to be the work of a serial criminal. And the dogs tracing the girls scents to Bindner's truck/the graveyard where Angela Bugay was buried seemed to indicate he was connected.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever find traces of any of them and I don't think Bindner will ever be charged with anything. I don't know where I stand on whether or not he continued abudcting girls after those cases. My guess is the heat got turned on too high in the early 90s and he gave it up.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that Michaela's mother told me that she believes that Bindner was not involved in her daughter's kidnapping.

She did state that when Michaela was abducted, the number of tips received overwhelmed the Hayward PD. She said that the leads actually filled a couple of filing cabinets and many of those leads were never followed up on because of the volume. Twenty years later, a retired detective comes in a couple of days a week as a volunteer to work on evaluating the leads and doing as much followup as possible at this late date, but one is left to wonder if the one clue that would solve this case has been sitting in a drawer for two decades untouched.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back