VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe he got the note to pass on to someone?
wHO IS THE FELLOW HE HITCHED A RIDE WITH?
I was also checking for brown haired little boys who may have gone missing.
He has brown eyes that is unusual for red heads.
Also he had that home made star tattoo.
no jewelry....no birthmarks?

maybe he just was an unwanted child?

If I remember correctly, wasn't there some confussion on if his hair was dyed or not. I personally thought it was odd for a man to die his hair red, but what do I know! Honestly, did we ever learn how red it was? It could of been a brownish red and it only appeared red in the sunlight. Just thinking out loud. I really need to go back and read the whole thread again, because I'm working on memory.

I found this Caroline (O) on facebook. I used the excel file that was posted on another thread here that has the 914 prefix numbers and their locations. I narrowed the list by excluding wireless providers and then by geographical proximity to where J doe died. (I think it is more likely that he and the Carolines were from somewhere close to Virginia since they did not include an area code). I then searched for Caroline O's or T's on facebook within those cities. Obviously there are some potential problems with this; 1 Caroline O and T may have married and changed their names 2 they may not use facebook 3 the subjectivity of my method of narrowing down the cities. This Caroline (O) stood out. She currently lives in Charlotte (a 914 prefix city), but she graduated from Beaver Creek hs in West Jefferson, NC in 1997. That would have made her 15-16 in 1995. She would likely have been younger than J doe, but not necessarily since he may also have been as young as 16. One potentially large problem here is that West Jefferson does not have 914 prefix numbers, however Caroline could have transferred (from Whiteville, Chapel Hill, Charlotte?) there for her last year(s) of hs (much speculation, but you never know). Here is the link to her facebook profile. I have not contacted her.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000012912776&v=info&ref=search

The 15th Anniversary is coming up..we should all come up with a cooperative game plan to ID this young fellow..it truly breaks my heart. I was 15 when he met his untimely death..and myself went to my first concert on June 30th which just so happened to be the Grateful Dead,at Three Rivers Stadium, in Pittsburgh....

The 15th Anniversary is coming up..we should all come up with a cooperative game plan to ID this young fellow..it truly breaks my heart. I was 15 when he met his untimely death..and myself went to my first concert on June 30th which just so happened to be the Grateful Dead,at Three Rivers Stadium, in Pittsburgh....

I agree with the gameplan. That we need one, I mean. Maybe we could all work to try to get his picture up on our local news stations, or something like that. If we blast if over the internet and tv, maybe something will come of it.

I think the best bet is contacting the police dept directly (per WS terms of service rules) where the Jason Michael Fry person was last known and see if ANYONE has any sort of physical description or extended family members available for DNA (since G Doe has that info).

I don't think it's a big shock that someone into heavy metal in the 80s was into the Dead by the mid-1990s. Someone into heavy metal in 1995 would probably not have been into the Dead in 1995, but with basically a decade in between, lifestyles & tastes change, esp. given his suspected age (teen in 80s, 20s in 90s).

http://vancnews.com/articles/2005/07/07/emporia/news/news02.txt
I thought it might be worthwhile to bring forward one of the first news articles posted.
snippets..

Some cases seem destined to forever remain unsolved but the police officers who work the cases find it impossible to forget nameless victims, especially of homicide.

For every unsolved mystery there are family members and loved ones who are left wondering day-after-day, year-after-year, for the rest of their lives about what happened and why.

Officers know that solving these mysteries would be a dream-come-true and the answer to many prayers, if only they could uncover the one clue that would lead them to the identities of the bodies. To know what it is like to never know what happened to a missing loved one is left to most people's imaginations but unfortunately there are families left to ponder those unanswered questions.

Greensville County has at least one unidentified body, the victim of a car crash and Sussex County has two, both victims of homicide.

When a body is unidentified police are left with few leads and few options.

If the person was a victim of homicide it doesn't take long for the trail to go cold when the victim can't be identified. Without an identification the police really don't have a place to begin to kick start the investigation.

Sometimes even the new forensic technology seems of little use-at least until a new lead coJones said DNA and records will be maintained at the Richmond Medical Examiner's Office in case someone comes forward to identify the body, which Greensville County had cremated five years ago.

The unidentified passenger and Michael E, Hager, 21, of Inman, S.C., were killed when a van Hager was driving struck a tree on Route 58.

How the unidentified man got to be in Hager's automobile is as much of a mystery as his identity.

Police believe he was hitchhiking between Fairfax and Gloucester and Hager picked him up.

"Jason Doe" was about 20, five foot eight inches tall, weighed 169 pounds and had light wavy hair and brown eyes. He had perfect teeth, no facial hair and a tattoo of a five-pointed star on his left upper arm.

He was dressed in blue jeans, black tennis shoes and a white Grateful Dead T-shirt from the 1995 Summer Tour. He had a pierced left ear, and was wearing a macramé necklace and a beaded necklace.

A note in his pocket read, "To Jason, Sorry we had to go. See you around. Caroline O. and Caroline T."

His only other possessions were two ticket stubs from a Grateful Dead concert the weekend before at RFK Stadium in Washington.

Police think Hager fell asleep at the wheel and caused the accident.

more at the link..

fmw - Yes don't you just hate when work get's in the way ;) This board is fascinating and addictive!

OH yes! and more than addicting.....about ruined my life, no fault to WS, but people in my life that couldn't handle the time I spent 'working here' ! LOL.

My first and only Jerry show too brother. It saddens me that we still don't know this guys name, it maybe makes me feel worse that there aren't people who care enough for him to ID him.

I'm wondering if a picture of "Jason's" tattoo was ever released to the public? As I understand, it was a star of some sort. I wonder if it was plain or unique. If it was unique maybe someone would have recognized it.

Photos of the tattoo have been posted online. It is a very crude, simple star, nothing unique.

I have a really crazy question that I've been wondering about all day. I've read that the accident was caused by the driver falling asleep. Both occupants of the car were killed and there wasn't anyone else in the car. So, how did the police come to this conclusion? I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm just wondering.

I wonder that sometimes too. The only other reason is if maybe Jason wanted to get out and the driver wouldn't let him, and maybe Jason grabbed the wheel and caused the driver to lose control... Or maybe there were witnesses who said the van gradually drifted off the road.

I have been doing some googling and on another site there was mention of a Jason Kennedy whose picture did resemble the GDF. Supposedly it was ruled out but there were little details on how it was ruled out other than that Jason Kennedy was alive but no details on how anyone was sure it was the same Jason as in the pic. Anyway so I searched for Jason Kennedy 1995 and found:

GenoPro GenoPro® - Picture Your Family Tree!(TM) 2.0.0.6 http ...... 1941 Y 2 Jun 1995 Accident AUTO ACCIDENT place00010 10 Jun 1995 place00011 10 ... KELLY KENNEDY -1610,1070 M JASON KENNEDY JASON KENNEDY JASON KENNEDY ...
familytrees.genopro.com/sanko4/KENNEDY/FamilyTree.gno - Cached

Does anyone have a way to open this link?

Hi my name is Rob. I was very involved in the Grateful Dead culture. I recently just came across this forum quite by chance. I am also a clinical psychologist. In my work especially in graduate school I spent a great deal of time with the Dead's culture. Exploring how and why people seemingly disappear or drop out of society. Quite literally there are countless people whom are like Jason went on tour and vanished. Most living, some not.

I am have been eerily fascinated by this case. And have spent most of the day reading up on it.

That picture while very promising is not Jason. The gentlemen in that picture is not wearing two necklaces. It is highly doubtful especially on dead tour to just find necklaces nd put them on. This picture was just taken days before Jason perished. I find it hard to believe this man would have purchased two necklaces AFTER the show and then hitchhiked to Virgina

I can also maybe offer some other insights...

I would focus on sending out the seat location of Jason. As deadheads we always keep our stubs and remember where we sat. Generally during set break we would talk to our neighbor etc. This may bea lead. My guess is since he had 2 stubs one would have been one of the Carolines.

If this young man was "on tour" he would have met people.

I would suggest perusing these avenues.

In the mid 90's on Dead tour there was a group called the 12 Tribes. They are a transient cult that basically would show up at Dead shows in a large bus and recruit kids. Mostly kids who were on tour to escape problems at home. The Dead were a great band but the transient nature of their tours allowed people to follow them if for no other reason to get away. There is a chance Jason may have been a member of this group. When you joined a group like this you basically called your loved ones (some did some did not) and told them to forget about you. This may be a reason why no one was looking for him?

The fact that Jason had no money, no bags, etc would lead me to believe that he was part of this group of people who followed the band around with no real plan. It seems that he was not with a group of friends. This is obvious by the fact no one seemed to know he was gone. Another interesting fact. Is that amongst Deadheads wearing a shirt of that tour to shows was somewhat looked down upon. I know its strange but the dead lot had their own culture and social more's. The fact that Jason was wearing a shirt from 1995 and that tour to me suggests again, that he just "hopped on tour".

The note that Jason had to me is very strange. It had been mentioned that it may have been from a hotel room? If two girls left a note on a hotel room door it would stand to reason that Jason was the one who booked the hotel room and in turn was paying for it. Based on his lack of material goods and money I do not think it was a hotel room. I don’t think it could have been left on a car. If memory serves me correctly after the RFK show it had rained pretty heavily. A note left on a car would have been ruined. There is a chance as I see it that Jason may be a "friend" or a traveling partner as opposed to John Does' real name. It was not unusual for large groups of people to stay in hotel rooms or places of lodging all together on tour in a flop house type of arrangement.

One last thing. Are we sure that Jason was picked up hitch hiking? Most times after shows it was no uncommon for people to bum a ride from someone who was at the show. The driver of the van may have been with Jason at the show. They may have met at the show and then Jason was given a ride. It seems like a strange set of events that a dead head was hitch hiking on the side of the road and just happened to get picked up by another dead head in a VW Bus none the less.

Based on my several hours of reading and having done a lot of research on situations such as these. I feel that John Doe somehow informed his parents that he was running away or dropped out of society. The fact that someone that young has no friends looking for him, no parents looking for him, no relatives looking for him is shocking. He also at some point had enough $$$ to buy a $35 brand new tour shirt. Yet, he was found with nothing? Strange. Those shirts were sold during the summer on 95 on tour. So to start his journey he must have had at least some disposable income.

In my professional estimation. Those who know of John Doe and love him. Have no idea he has perished. If he was say 20 years old. Even if his parents had died, until the age of 18 he would have had a legal custodian. If JD was older the theory of dead parents not knowing his had perished might hold more weight. What is likely is that JD joined some group like the 12 Tribes and was forced to basically renounce his parents and old life. I believe something went wrong as many times it did on tour. He was left with nothing and trying to make it home when he died.

Hi my name is Rob. I was very involved in the Grateful Dead culture. I recently just came across this forum quite by chance. I am also a clinical psychologist. In my work especially in graduate school I spent a great deal of time with the Dead's culture. Exploring how and why people seemingly disappear or drop out of society. Quite literally there are countless people whom are like Jason went on tour and vanished. Most living, some not.

Hi Rob, so wonderful to see you here. It is great to have someone here who has experience with the Grateful Dead Culture. While I have been doing research on the Grateful Dead I have been amazed with how many young teenagers/young adults have left their families to join up and follow the Grateful Dead from town to town with only the clothing they have on their backs. One case I read about was where a deck had collapsed at a show and one teenager was severely injured so badly he was unrecognizable. He was brought to the hospital where a "command center" was set up to take phone calls from folks who thought this boy could be their son/loved one, there were literally hundreds of calls that came from those who said they hadn't seen their child for months and that he could have been following the Dead, etc. , so sad to think they hadn't had contact with their child for that long.

I am have been eerily fascinated by this case. And have spent most of the day reading up on it.

That picture while very promising is not Jason. The gentlemen in that picture is not wearing two necklaces. It is highly doubtful especially on dead tour to just find necklaces nd put them on. This picture was just taken days before Jason perished. I find it hard to believe this man would have purchased two necklaces AFTER the show and then hitchhiked to Virgina

I can also maybe offer some other insights...

I would focus on sending out the seat location of Jason. As deadheads we always keep our stubs and remember where we sat. Generally during set break we would talk to our neighbor etc. This may bea lead. My guess is since he had 2 stubs one would have been one of the Carolines.

Actually, the 2 stubs he had were for seperate shows, one stub was for Saturday, June 24, 1995 and the other one was for Sunday, June 25, 1995. We are assuming that he attended both shows and used both tickets for himself??

If this young man was "on tour" he would have met people.

I would suggest perusing these avenues.

In the mid 90's on Dead tour there was a group called the 12 Tribes. They are a transient cult that basically would show up at Dead shows in a large bus and recruit kids. Mostly kids who were on tour to escape problems at home. The Dead were a great band but the transient nature of their tours allowed people to follow them if for no other reason to get away. There is a chance Jason may have been a member of this group. When you joined a group like this you basically called your loved ones (some did some did not) and told them to forget about you. This may be a reason why no one was looking for him?

This is a great theory about the 12 tribes, it should be looked into further for certain, if it has not been already? It was also suggested that Jason may have been part of the Wharf Rat group. What are your thoughts on that?

The fact that Jason had no money, no bags, etc would lead me to believe that he was part of this group of people who followed the band around with no real plan. It seems that he was not with a group of friends. This is obvious by the fact no one seemed to know he was gone. Another interesting fact. Is that amongst Deadheads wearing a shirt of that tour to shows was somewhat looked down upon. I know its strange but the dead lot had their own culture and social more's. The fact that Jason was wearing a shirt from 1995 and that tour to me suggests again, that he just "hopped on tour".

I'm really not sure what to add about the fact that Jason was wearing a tour shirt and that deadheads look down upon that sort of thing. I haven't ran across any mention of that in the research I have done so far.

The note that Jason had to me is very strange. It had been mentioned that it may have been from a hotel room? If two girls left a note on a hotel room door it would stand to reason that Jason was the one who booked the hotel room and in turn was paying for it. Based on his lack of material goods and money I do not think it was a hotel room. I don’t think it could have been left on a car. If memory serves me correctly after the RFK show it had rained pretty heavily. A note left on a car would have been ruined. There is a chance as I see it that Jason may be a "friend" or a traveling partner as opposed to John Does' real name. It was not unusual for large groups of people to stay in hotel rooms or places of lodging all together on tour in a flop house type of arrangement.

The note is of great interest, I suppose they could have stayed in a motor home? Also, as you mention, a flop house, whatever other cheap alternative there may have been. Friend of a friend of a friend? From what I understand, Grateful Dead crowds were known to crash pretty much anywhere, so it could have been under a bridge, I dunno??

One last thing. Are we sure that Jason was picked up hitch hiking? Most times after shows it was no uncommon for people to bum a ride from someone who was at the show. The driver of the van may have been with Jason at the show. They may have met at the show and then Jason was given a ride. It seems like a strange set of events that a dead head was hitch hiking on the side of the road and just happened to get picked up by another dead head in a VW Bus none the less.

We do know that Jason did not attend the concert with the driver of the van. The driver was in NY with his girlfriend and I believe he (the driver) got back to Fairfax, VA on Sunday, June 25th. He had breakfast with his girlfriend early Monday morning and left for his father's to pick up a few items at approximately 7:30AM. It is believed that the driver picked Jason up between Fairfax, VA and Glocester, VA (where his father lived). He reached his father's house at 10:30AM

Based on my several hours of reading and having done a lot of research on situations such as these. I feel that John Doe somehow informed his parents that he was running away or dropped out of society. The fact that someone that young has no friends looking for him, no parents looking for him, no relatives looking for him is shocking. He also at some point had enough $$$ to buy a $35 brand new tour shirt. Yet, he was found with nothing? Strange. Those shirts were sold during the summer on 95 on tour. So to start his journey he must have had at least some disposable income.

I agree he had to have some kind of income before the beginning of his trip. Perhaps he had a job, or his parents gave him money, he robbed his piggy bank, birthday money, etc. Somehow, he had got together enough money for tickets, t-shirt, food??

In my professional estimation. Those who know of John Doe and love him. Have no idea he has perished. If he was say 20 years old. Even if his parents had died, until the age of 18 he would have had a legal custodian. If JD was older the theory of dead parents not knowing his had perished might hold more weight. What is likely is that JD joined some group like the 12 Tribes and was forced to basically renounce his parents and old life. I believe something went wrong as many times it did on tour. He was left with nothing and trying to make it home when he died.
It is possible that Jason Doe was as young as 17, did his classmates miss him? Did his family move around a lot because of his father's work? Is that why friend's didn't miss Jason Doe?
I thank you again for your wonderful post. I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member