"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit" Smelling the decomp cans

I'm not sure I would want to, but allowing the jurors to smell the odor would give them a new lens to view Casey through - knowing she drove that car around for days with Caylee's body in the trunk.....and continued driving the car after the odor started until she came up with the idea to abandon the car at the Amscot.

From my understanding the jury will have all the evidence back there while they are deliberating. If they alone decide to open the cans, who is to stop them? I thought they could look at whatever evidence they wanted without getting the Judge's orders when they were back there, or is that not right?

IIRC, Baez in his opening statement invited them "Go ahead, smell the cans". I am remembering that because I thought it was a dirty trick when he knew already that HHJP said he would rule against it during trial.

It will be unmistakable if they do smell this even if they have never smelled decomp before. It's almost instinct to know what it is.

The first time I smelled it was riding past a scene of a car accident where some teens wrecked in a river bed about a week before until found. The smell made me gag and vomit out the window of the car. I remember telling my mother those people at the bottom of the bridge were dead.

The 2nd time I remember that smell was my uncle that had Agent Orange exposure while in the military and was dying of multiple types of cancer. His flesh was literally rotting off the bone and the smell also made me gag and vomit several times while visiting him.

The closest thing to it would be week old road kill that has been sprayed by a skunk and... that isn't even close.

"If the smell in the can doesn't make you sick, then you have no choice but to acquit"

The decomp can the jury question is risky, for all the above mentioned reasons. It further has potential to backfire though in that it could make jurors wonder why this car stench was being ignored by people and how nutty would you have to be to withstand a serious stench of your child decomposing as you drove around.

It could have effect of lending some support to her living in a deep state of denial and out of touch with reality due to habitual abuse etc.

A body in a car can't be missed too easily. A man I dated lost his father to suicide, committed in a minivan with a shotgun. It was a rather traumatic wound to the head that left the vehicle a mess, to say the least. Nobody would clean it up, not the bank that owned the note, the widow couldn't bring herself to do it and the insurance company said it wasn't their prob either. The neighbors were ready to storm city hall within two days the odor was so pervasive, even under a tarp parked at the curb.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back