GUILTY AZ - Ame Deal, 10, suffocated in footlocker, Phoenix, 12 July 2011

I agree!!! & Yet I had a feeling that it was going to come out that Ame's "mom" left that house because she had been abused by them herself, & I read this article posted by MsFacetious today while at work.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...hoenix-girl-death-ame-deal-mother-speaks.html

What bothers me the most about this article is the following:

"I was a slave to them," she said, choking on tears. "I had to do everything, and they wouldn't do nothing - they sat on their *advertiser censored**es.

"They were abusing me, too. They were hitting me, and they called me names and made me stay up all night."

She said that about two years ago, she was "kicked out" of the family's Texas home.

Fearing for her life, Shirley said, she fled without her children.

She said she met a man online who lived in Iola, and she went there. When that relationship failed, she met another man with whom she now lives.

"He is a good guy," she said. "He cuts down trees for a living, and I cook and take care of the house."
Ummmm... Who cares about your man lady, you have to make this statement while discussing your daughter's death!? Really!?

She isn't shy about saying she doesn't simply want justice: She wants revenge.

"For what they did to my daughter, they need to be treated the same way," she said.

Just my opinion, just my opinion... How did she expect her daughter to escape being abused!?

Ummmm... Who cares about your man lady, you have to make this statement while discussing your daughter's death!? Really!?

My guess is that the reporter who interviewed her asked her a specific question about her current relationship compared to what she experienced with this family, and she answered it. Some might see that one statement as out of place, but articles typically include only a few quotes from a long interview, and it's the newspaper that chose to include that one. At least that's how it looks to me.

Thank you, MsFacetious, from the bottom of my heart.

You are another one of my Websleuths heros.

Thank you for caring about Ame and thank you for putting yourself on the line for Ame.

You did nothing wrong. You were the catalyst, the opportunity for Ame to be free of these monsters.

It was the system that failed Ame. But that does not diminish, in my eyes, the kindness you showed Ame. God bless you for that. :blowkiss: :grouphug:

John and his wife, who lived at the house with several other adults and children, are accused of forcing the girl into the box and padlocking it shut before going to bed. It was reportedly a punishment for stealing a popsicle.

The girl's aunt, Cynthia Stoltzmann, and grandmother, 62-year old Judith Deal, are facing charges of child abuse.

Police say all four participated in extreme acts of abuse over at least a year that included locking the girl in the box on several occasions, beating her with a board, and forcing her to eat hot sauce and dog feces.

There were 12 children taken into CPS custody following the arrests. Police say they lived at the home and another relative's home nearby at various times.

Child psychologist Dr. Lynn Kenney said it is disturbing what they may have witnessed.

"The guilt is going to be enormous, " she said. "If they witnessed the abuse and participated in it. They are going to be in trauma recovery."

Court documents and police accounts indicate the other children were treated differentlly and they would do things to get Ame in trouble. They even participated in the adults' lie to police that Ame died during a hide and seek game.

"When you experience abuse your brain works differently," Kenney said. Kenney said she is hopeful that they can recover from the life they lived and gain a new sense of "normal."

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...uspect-in-girl's-murder-shocks-his-own-family

reminiscent of the Christian Choate scapegoating abuse and torture.

Just so heartbreaking, in this day and age, when we are so in one another's business as a society, in so many ways, that this kind of horrific abuse can go on, and so many know about it, and no one act. Frightening. Simply frightening.

her mother fled from an abusive household but left her daughter Ame there?

pfffft ... Ame was failed by her too then ...

I will never understand how a 'mother' can abandon her child to an abuser(s).

IMO, this 'mother' is also guilty in her daughters death. She should at least be prosecuted for child abandonment and neglect.

I have no words...this is just unbelievably heartbreaking. Rest in peace,sweet baby :(

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/...tah-reported-abuse-of-Ame-Deal-126459473.html

PHOENIX--Before Ame Deal and her relatives moved to Phoenix they lived in Ogden, Utah. School officials there say they repeatedly reported signs of neglect and abuse to authorities, but soon after the family disappeared.

Jileen Boydstun, Ame's second grade teacher at James Madison Elementary School in Ogden, described the little girl as bright and inquisitive, and said she craved the attention of adults. But she also said it was very clear there was something wrong in the girl's home life.

"Ame was just treated differently," Boydstun said. "There just wasn't the affection I could feel coming from the aunt towards Ame and they would tell me they didn't really think Ame belonged to them

From the link above...

-Before Ame Deal and her relatives moved to Phoenix they lived in Ogden, Utah. School officials there say they repeatedly reported signs of neglect and abuse to authorities, but soon after the family disappeared.

WHY was this not followed up on? Are people afraid to be involved? I'm just sick over the case. School officials noticed...what happened?

School officials in Utah reported abuse of Ame Deal
Updated yesterday at 5:37 PM

School officials there say they repeatedly reported signs of neglect and abuse to authorities

snip

"She was constantly coming to school dirty, she often had head lice. One time she came to school with cat urine in her shoes and it smelled so badly that the counselor came and cleaned her and got some shoes for her," Boydstun says.

That counselor, Jody Hansen, said the school frequently contacted the local Division of Child and Family Services in regards to Ame and the other children.

"We could tell she was kind of a scapegoat in the family. She was the one that got the brunt of everything, that was pretty obvious," Hansen said.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/...tah-reported-abuse-of-Ame-Deal-126459473.html

My guess is that the reporter who interviewed her asked her a specific question about her current relationship compared to what she experienced with this family, and she answered it. Some might see that one statement as out of place, but articles typically include only a few quotes from a long interview, and it's the newspaper that chose to include that one. At least that's how it looks to me.

Possibly...

My thing is if it's so great with "Mr. Right" & life has been good for "mom", go back for your children. She had to know. She just didn't care.

Strangers Gather to Honor Memory of Abused Girl
Ame Deal left to die in a box

It's a case of abuse that haunts even the most seasoned police officers -- 10-year-old Ame Deal's own family is accused of murdering her.

The story is so disturbing that some people in the community gathered on Sunday to honor her memory.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/new...011?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RIP Ame

Wow. I just watched that video.

What a wonderful, thoughtful group of strangers!

I hope that Ame has a proper, respectful burial.

How disconnected from your own child do you have to be to find out about their horrific death on Facebook - from someone else??? Where the he(( was she???! Off having an online romance? She took herself out of the abusive home but not her child? The selfishness of people NEVER ceases to amaze me........

The death penalty is really too good for these animals....

Pennsylvania Man Says He's the Father of Ame Deal, 10-Year-Old Girl Murdered for Taking Popsicle
Aug. 1 2011 at 11:56 AM

Ame's father, David Deal, was living in a tent in the backyard of the family's Phoenix home near near 35th Avenue and Broadway Road, a source who knows the family told New Times last week. But David Deal claims he's not Ame's father. Kenneth Griest, however, says he'd be honored to claim the girl as his own -- he just needs a DNA test.

Griest tells New Times he had a relationship with Ame's mother, Shirley Deal, while she was separated from David Deal and the two were living in the same apartment complex in Pennsylvania.

He says that even when Ame was born, he was suspected to be the father, despite David Deal's name being on her birth certificate, and he tried to raise her as his own.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2011/08/pennsylvania_man_says_hes_the.php

" ......

Just so heartbreaking, in this day and age, when we are so in one another's business as a society, in so many ways, that this kind of horrific abuse can go on, and so many know about it, and no one act. Frightening. Simply frightening. "

Snipped & bolded by me

The first place I worked after I became a nurse (in the early '70's), was Los Angeles Children's Hospital.
I worked on a medical floor & in the ER. It was drilled into our heads back then, by attorneys & in In-Service
classes, that we must NEVER accuse or insinuate that a child was physically and/or mentally abused.

This was because we could be sued big time by the parents!!! And possibly lose our licenses.

I worked there for 3.5 yrs & then moved to the east coast. Didn't work for 8 yrs while I had my own
children & don't remember actually when it became the law that nurses, teachers, etc were MANDATED
to report any suspicions of child abuse.... and were also protected if the parents tried to sue.

To me, it was the best law ever passed!!!

I saw abused & murdered children at LACH, so many yrs ago, and all we could do was whisper our thoughts
& what we suspected. It wasn't even written anywhere in the child's chart what we suspected had caused
the child's cuts, bruises, burns, fractures & other signs of possible abuse. All that could be charted was what
the parent told us had happened.

Since then, I have worked at general hospitals, psych hospitals, and at Emer Walk-In Clinics and I'm so
relieved that nurses, doctors, health care workers, social workers, teachers... and a very long list of others
that are mandated to report any suspicious findings/observations.

Since those sad (and helpless) early days at LACH, I have reported, many times to authorities, without fear
of being sued or losing my license, what I suspected & saw as child or spousal abuse.

I like to think that I was able to save a child's life, because of those changes in the laws.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back