Identified! IN - Hammond, Bones found buried, gold ring, Oct'11 - Francine Carlson

if you google map this address: 1718 Indpls Boulevard, Whiting, IN, you can get the street view. if you move the image around you can see the bait shop. the whole block is built up so I have no idea when this body was placed there or how much of the block has been or is in the process of being demolished

Here's the Google Maps Street View:

1718 Indianapolis Boulevard, Whiting, IN map - Google Maps

It's not clear from the overhead view whether one could access the foundation from the rear of the building, but it's clearly inaccessible from the front. The overhead view indicates quite a few trees at the rear of the property.

snipped...
Going back to the ring on the pinkie finger... that doesn't necessarily mean it's a girl or a woman. It's not uncommon for a boy or man to wear a ring on his pinkie... snipped

I don't see a statement in MSM that the ring was found on a pinkie finger. Did I miss it?

I'm not sure they mean the body actually was sealed in the foundation. Seems to me the body could have been inside the building and became buried in the rubble after the demo.

The site where the remains were discovered likely was the foundation of an abandoned building found in the 1700 block of Indianapolis Boulevard -- about two miles from the Chicago-Hammond border-- that was demolished a little more than a week ago, Hoyda said

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/...n-remains-discovered-20111006,0,2611816.story

I'm not sure they mean the body actually was sealed in the foundation. Seems to me the body could have been inside the building and became buried in the rubble after the demo.

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/...n-remains-discovered-20111006,0,2611816.story

I'm not so sure of that Bessie. the dog "dug" up the skull, implying that it was under the foundation. had the body been inside the building as the demolition began, I would expect the body to have been found in or above the debris not under the earth.

this could be a LONG missing person.

Brutus did a good job. The Police bought him back in to look for more pieces when they could have waited and bought in their dogs. Impressive.

Veronica Blumhorst missing from Mendota IL in 1990?

I think Robin is a really good possible...the county she worked in for Sherriff's Depart. borders Hammond. It is said a person of interest was in the Sherriff's auxillary unit (maybe means outside or on the edges of county?). JMO :)

The latest description of the ring, "a gold band with a dark blue or black stone flanked by two small diamonds", doesn't mention a cross.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...81b-590a-887a-e44c86bda5d6.html#ixzz1a3Y9LUNC

If a body was in the crawl space while the building was still occupied, I'd think the odor would've been detected. I'm sticking with my original hunch that the individual died within the past ten years or so after the business shut down. Bodies found in abandoned buildings are often homeless persons, runaways, prostitutes, drug users, and/or victims of violent sexual assaults, or all of the above. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the forensic anthropologist has to say. The ring could provide good leads, so I hope they release a photo soon.

The latest description of the ring, "a gold band with a dark blue or black stone flanked by two small diamonds", doesn't mention a cross.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...81b-590a-887a-e44c86bda5d6.html#ixzz1a3Y9LUNC

If a body was in the crawl space while the building was still occupied, I'd think the odor would've been detected. I'm sticking with my original hunch that the individual died within the past ten years or so after the business shut down. Bodies found in abandoned buildings are often homeless persons, runaways, prostitutes, drug users, and/or victims of violent sexual assaults, or all of the above. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the forensic anthropologist has to say. The ring could provide good leads, so I hope they release a photo soon.

The dog's owner was quoted as saying: "I pulled up a piece of plastic where he was digging and there was a skull." If this was a homeless person, it seems unlikely that she (or he) would be wrapped in plastic in the crawl-space, although I guess it's possible that the person might seek shelter from the cold in the crawlspace of an abandoned building and wrap up in plastic to stay dry.

It doesn't say whether the UID was buried in the crawl-space or placed above the ground in the crawl space.

The article says the stones were diamonds, but at this juncture, we shouldn't presume that the ring was made of gold or the stones were real diamonds. But even if it was a cheap ring with fake diamonds, it doesn't seem like something a homeless person would wear.

Good point about the ring, Carl. Brutus's owner was able to discern the ring was "gold", so most likely it is gold or a high quality gold plated ring. The metals used in less expensive costume jewelry would've been badly tarnished from the dampness.

What are your thoughts about timing? Post-2010? Or earlier?

What are your thoughts about timing? Post-2010? Or earlier?

I think the remains are much older. If the remains were wrapped in plastic in an environment devoid of insects and animals, then the remains probably would have been partially mummified and the hair would have remained intact. If it dates back to when the tackle shop was still open, then it would seem to implicate the owner of the tackle shop because the shop was apparently a 24-hour operation.

The following article describes the store as the "24-hour Great Lakes Bait and Tackle Co".

So very sad that we can so quickly come up with SO many names to try and figure out who a dead body is...

Now I have no idea where I got the idea that it was a pinky finger, unless I combined what I read in other posts with what I read in articles. But I could swear I read a comment in an article on Wed night that referred to it being so small that the person thought it was a pinky finger. Maybe I dreamed that or maybe I did read it. *rolls eyes* At any rate, I don't see a specific reference to a pinky so I am guessing that's not true.

That most recent article references the remains being in what was a crawlspace area of the old building, which pretty much convinces me that they intentionally buried or placed there rather than just being a homeless person who might have died in the building. I wonder how soon the team will have an idea of how old the remains are? Maybe they'll be able to at least give a rough estimate on Friday morning?

And I just want to say that I really like Brutus. He sounds like the canine version of an armchair detective. He may not have the credentials of a trained search dog, but he sure got the job done!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back