Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

someone solve this mystery ...even though it says i am logged in everytime i try to post it says i am not?...lol
I am very much interested in the manson case tapu and would love a discussion of it, sounds like you may have info i have been wanting to know...
I do not think any manson member should be released from prison nor should have any ever been.
My question though is what became of the "lesser" members? where are they? what kind of life have they lead? the reason i am interested in this so much is that I have a wierd feeling some of those members may hold the key or at least clues to many of the other crimes that happened in that area at that time...as you all well know probably better than myself there are still many unsolved crimes, missing people...teens especially , and etc. from that time and that area. By lesser members i am refering to those who were not involved or prosecuted for the tate/folger Etc. murders....
I am not one that necessarily buys into the "They were just innocent teens looking for a place to get high" spin we have been fed all these years. I am sure there were some, the younger runaways and such.
I am also not a believer in the spin that those who commited the horrible crimes were innocents lead astray and brainwashed by Manson...Don't forget all we have are the word of the killers on that. and ALL of them have proved through the years to not only be inconsistant in those claims but also hazy in their claims....I am sure Charlie was their leader and main organizer of the crimes...But i still am not convinced he was the sole creator and mastermind of it all. Don't forget most of his coherts and perpetators had already been involved in murders and other crimes as well. the men especially.
Your thoughts/questions/answers....

I was looking up Jennifer Landon, Michael Landons daughter, to see what she has been up to since she was As The World Turns. She is so talented.

Anyway, IMDB has her listed as playing a part in a movie about the Manson Girls. At first I thought it was just a coincidental title until I read the synopsis. So there is a movie in either production or preproduction involving the women/girls that helped commit the murders, including Leslie.

My opinion, Charles Manson and the girls where given the death penalty. Their reprieve was a Life sentence. That's all they should get. The reprieve when given should have stated "Life without the possibility of Parole" Had that have been stated we wouldn't have to be going through all of this every few years.

Gosh, I didn't see Pinecone's post until now, and s/he's probably gone for good. Too bad. I'd enjoy a more in-depth discussion of the case, too. Especially along the lines of separating the myth from what there is testimony of and evidence for. (Altho.... good luck, tapu, huh?)

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not, but now it's Patricia Krenwinkle's turn.

Posted: 7:21 am PST January 20, 2011Updated: 7:23 am PST January 20, 2011
CORONA, Calif. -- A follower of Charles Manson who has been imprisoned longer than any other woman in California is facing a parole hearing on her conviction in the Sharon Tate killings. Grey haired Patricia Krenwinkel, one of Manson's two surviving female followers, has maintained a clean prison record in her four decades behind bars, but her chances for release appear slim following the parole officials' rejections in other Manson cases. Krenwinkel, 63, was convicted along with Manson and two other female followers in seven 1969 murders, considered among the most notorious crimes of the 20th Century. None of those convicted has ever been paroled and one of them, Susan Atkins, died in prison last year after being denied compassionate release when she was terminally ill with cancer. Leslie Van Houten, 61, the youngest of the women convicted was long thought to be the most likely to win eventual release. But she was denied a parole date last summer by officials who said she had not gained sufficient insight into her crimes. Parole boards have repeatedly cited the callousness, viciousness and calculation of the seven murders committed by members of the Manson Family. Krenwinkel admitted during her trial that she chased down and stabbed heiress Abigail Folger at the Tate home on Aug. 9, 1969 and participated in the stabbing deaths of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca the following night, Both homes were defaced with bloody scrawlings. She was convicted along with Manson, Van Houten and Atkins. Another defendant, Charles "Tex" Watson was convicted in a separate trial. All were sentenced to death but their sentences were commuted to life when the U.S. Supreme Court briefly outlawed the death penalty in 1972. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/26557021/detail.html

Posted: 7:21 am PST January 20, 2011Updated: 9:33 pm PST January 20, 2011
CORONA, Calif. -- In a decision suggesting that the brutal Sharon Tate murders are unforgivable, a parole board panel on Thursday refused to consider releasing Patricia Krenwinkel, who told the board she killed for the love of Charles Manson. The two-member panel made clear it was the horror of the killings, among the most notorious of the 20th century, that led them to reject the bid for parole in spite of Krenwinkel's efforts to change her life. They said the atrocious murders of seven people had affected the entire world -- evidenced by letters which came in from around the globe urging that she be kept behind bars -- and said Krenwinkel failed to understand that. "These crimes remain relevant," said parole commissioner Susan Melanson. "The public is in fear." more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/26557021/detail.html

My opinion, Charles Manson and the girls where given the death penalty. Their reprieve was a Life sentence. That's all they should get. The reprieve when given should have stated "Life without the possibility of Parole" Had that have been stated we wouldn't have to be going through all of this every few years.
yes, of all times for California to get soft on crime! They have not shown true remorse, and deserve to rot in prison. These frequent parole hearings are torture for Sharon Tate's one remaining immediate family member. Her mother and sister both fought terminal cancer while trying to keep the Manson followers in prison.

Thank Goodness the parole board remembers the facts of those horriffic murders .
The murderers do not deserve any compassion or leniency as they showed none for the victims . Victims who had done nothing to any of them.

They should never be allowed out.

I'm quite ambivalent about her getting parole. In my studied opinion, she has served adequate time to pay for her level of involvement. I don't believe she would be a danger to society. One side matter to consider: Would a member of the Manson family really be safe from others, outside prison?

I'm interested in seeing the discussion about this. I have quite a few books and films for reference if anyone has specific questions about the crimes, the killers, the victims, etc.

IMO no one associated with these brutal, tortuous murders should ever see the light of day again.

Many years ago, just after this crime occurred, I happened to work with a young woman who had gone to school with Leslie Van Houten. The young woman stated, " I don't know what happened to Leslie. She must have just gotten in with the wrong crowd."

There is quite a bit of information all over the internet right now if anyone wants to "refresh" their memory of these unspeakable events and people involved.

Not very "refreshing" , however........

"trending" on Yahoo....# 1.........
I went to one site.....enough to do more damage to my psyche today ...along with missing Alisa........think I'll go get some breaths of fresh air and cool off a bit.....
I just don't know what I think about LVH being released.....
any more thoughts?

I remember all of it, too, heart -- I'm that old!

Let me say that I am one of those raving liberals; I was against the DP until I read Helter Skelter and other sources about this awful crime, and because of these murders and the brutality therein, I began to look at the DP differently. Still liberal about darn near everything else.

This is my opinion:

Since they were all given the death penalty initially, and then, as we remember, CA decided it was not to be in CA anymore, they gave them Life. When the DP in CA was restored, why were these folks not put back on death row? IANAL so I have never understood that. And why is "Life" not l-i-f-e in CA? In my home state, LWOP means what it says. No parole ever, period. Anyway....

And yes, of all the ones that were involved in Tate and/or LaBianca, LVH does seem the least bloodthirsty, but she went along knowing what would prolly happen and she participated. Apparently she held Rosemary's legs for her to be stabbed, and she then stabbed her most likely after RLB was dead. But she was there, and her sentence was Death. She has done some good things and has talked prolly sincerely about her remorse and regret about what she did in previous parole hearings, and she was young & under the influence of a madman when she committed the crime. But, again I say, she went along. She could have hitch-hiked home without going into that house, but she didn't.

No parole for LVH, or any of them, ever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back